Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

People are now simply more considerate of things like sexual harassment, but otherwise there has been no moral development in society. That's how you get Marvel movies, which are rather offensive but not in a way that really rankles most people.

Don't forget gay marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New Mutants premise looks cool even if the trailer bends the knee to the embarrassing dogshit trend of "slowed-down spookier version of some old loving song"

Anya-Taylor Joy really cornering the market on horror with The Witch, Split, and this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While I'm not a huge fan of the X-Men movies the idea of doing New Mutants as a horror film is kind of inspired and kind of makes complete and total sense. I mean, its a team with a werewolf and a witch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can't believe the direction they're going in with the costumes:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As silly as most of those look, at this point I'd welcome them (or, rather, a professional version of them) just to wash the grimdark off the franchise.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

As silly as most of those look, at this point I'd welcome them (or, rather, a professional version of them) just to wash the grimdark off the franchise.

I want those people too. An overweight X-Men team in gaudy costumes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, you know what? Strike what I said, I agree. Those exact people, those exact costumes, $150 million budget.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is yellow the official xmen color? Its in half the costumes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Yellow and blue. But they just kinda dropped the whole team costume idea after a while.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

got any sevens posted:

Yeah it was originally a yellow and blue uniform similar to three of the girls in the top middle, then over the years they got more unique costumes (and new people joined the team with their own costumes) but a lot maintained a yellow or blue motif.

(disclaimer: I don't know a ton about the X-Men this is mostly known from seeing images of the old costumes and knowing the newer ones fluctuate)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, yellow and blue are basically the school colors. That girl at the top center is basically wearing the default training costume all the kids get when they start super hero training and the ones around her are wearing slight variations of them. When they "graduate" they get more unique costumes because they're really not supposed to be super heroing as students (but of course they do).

And X-Men love loud primary colors.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Good thing to remember is that a lot of characters didn't start out as members of the X-Men or begin their publishing history as mutants or first appear in X-Men comics so the origins of their costumes don't have Heroic X-Man as the basis or influence.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

Man this isn't even grimdark. If it were going for a horror tone and using that as an excuse to dress everyone up in ridiculous goth outfits and Liefield-assed 90's excess, that'd be genuinely refreshing. This is just... sedate, for some reason

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It comes off as a horror movie and not a comic/hero movie.

Its hard not to think Legion didn't inspire it a bit but I don't know the timeline on production.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

So what's the deal with Wolverine? Did he forget the rest of his costume?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

After the success of Charlie's Angels, he was hired to direct Superman: Flyby for Warner Bros., based on a script by Abrams. Abrams was writing the script and the studio wanted it for a 2006 release. The catch? He'd have to shoot the film in Australia.

"I tried to tell [then-Warner Bros.' execs] Alan Horn and Barry Meyer at the time, 'Hey guys, I'm really afraid to fly,'" McG says. "And they were like, 'Come on! You're McG. You'll be fine.'"

The day came to take the Warners' jet to Australia, and he couldn't bring himself to go.

"It was very humiliating, and I got thrown off the movie that day," says McG, who got professional help after the incident. "It just sort of resulted in my going to see two ladies who specialize in this sort of thing at UCLA and I slowly put one foot in front of the other and I've now been around the world many, many times and fly all over the place and try to never go two weeks without getting on a plane."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/babysitter-how-mcg-moves-losing-superman-flyby-1048439

I had no idea that McG was attached to a Superman Film back on '06

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Its hard not to think Legion didn't inspire it a bit but I don't know the timeline on production.

But Legion is gorgeous and has fantastic costumes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My father cant fly too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He didn't believe a man could fly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He didn't believe a man could fly

Should've drugged him like on the A-Team.

Not that I'm advocating anything being directed by McG

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who the gently caress is McG? I've never heard you guys mention him before but I watched The Babysitter on Netflix last night and it claimed to be directed by someone called McG. That movie is insanely good by the way. I advise going in as blind as possible

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who the gently caress is McG? I've never heard you guys mention him before but I watched The Babysitter on Netflix last night and it claimed to be directed by someone called McG. That movie is insanely good by the way. I advise going in as blind as possible

Directed terminator salvation

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I can't bring myself to watch it yet because McG but it does look fun.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nothing (e: especially) wrong with McG I think

I saw the trailer to that Babysitter movie without audio on and it looked bonkers as hell

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 13, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He created Chuck, I don't know how much he actively ran the show. While Chuck kind of careened off a cliff after a while I can't be mad at the guy who introduced Yvonne Strahovski to the world

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He created Chuck, I don't know how much he actively ran the show. While Chuck kind of careened off a cliff after a while I can't be mad at the guy who introduced Yvonne Strahovski to the world

Here's what I remember about Chuck. When it first aired, youtube or whatever video service I was watching (Hulu maybe?) would constantly air a commercial for Chuck where it would be yelling "CHUCK. CHUCK. CHUCK." So as a result I now hate Chuck.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Nothing (e: especially) wrong with McG I think

I saw the trailer to that Babysitter movie without audio on and it looked bonkers as hell

If you've seen Little Evil on Netflix, The Babysitter is way way better than that. Little Evil kinda sucked.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You don't remember the Christian Bale meltdown tape? How he kept whining to the director "MICKGEE!!! HE STEPPED IN MY EYELINE!! MICKGEE!!! DO SOMETHING THROW HIM OUT OR IM GONE!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sad news about the Blade movies

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/918509322002300931?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it's what they're going for, and the only interesting thing about it, and even on that level it comes off like a poor man's A Cure for Wellness.

Like, there's literally allusions to A Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser, but it still more or less looks like your average young adult fantasy film.

edit: Like, what gets me about feedmyleg's "grimdark" comment is that we already have a "grimdark" version of an X-Men spinoff, it's called Scanners, and it rules.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 13, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you ever get a chance, read JJ Abram's Superman: Flyby script. McG was supposed to direct it. It really has a very Snyder feel to parts of it, and spends a lot of time yammering about "earth shattering explosions" and has Rough Superman Childhood. There's some proto-Man of Steel in it. Plus a bit of Superman Returns, a more classic Lex, that kind of thing. It's interesting.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/Superman-JJAbrams2.pdf

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jude Law was approached to play Superman in that particular iteration. Imagine that. When McG dropped out of the project, Brett Ratner was slated to helm the film. Lmao.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

K. Waste posted:

we already have a "grimdark" version of an X-Men spinoff, it's called Scanners, and it rules.

Misfits.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nah, The OC showrunner Josh Schwartz created Chuck, McG just directed the pilot i think.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/creepypuppet/status/918853131366100992

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's funny how Stranger Things kid looks exactly like John Gallagher Jr from 10 Cloverfield Lane. Like down to the sling.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

...The band from Jem?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

K. Waste posted:

...The band from Jem?

Nah, British TV show you can watch on Hulu.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's offbrand Heroes

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/918975345000267777

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Grimdark is a stupid term that means nothing other than you don't like something. Please stop using it.

well why not posted:

I can't decide if Bad Touch Xavier or Rockabilly Colossus are my favorite.

• Locked thread