Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
A while back our apartment acquired a summer intern. He earned college credit from USC for coming over a few times a month, getting gently caress-off wasted and sweeping up some. We gave him an A+ I think. Smart kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My last class in college was a Racism In Media class and we just sat around watching movies and listening to the professor bitch about how he didn't get tenure because of the racist hierarchy.

He looked white as gently caress to me but I guess he was part Filipino.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My last semester I had to have 12 hours to keep my scholarship but only needed 9 to graduate so I filled out the last 3 with golf, racquetball and archery

College owns

I can see the logic behind the NCAA's action here but it's hard to shake the feeling that a Div III program that did the exact same thing wouldn't get away with it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I kinda hope Louisville rehires Jurich and Petino and tells the NCAA to bring it, just to see what will happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

MourningView posted:

I once got college credit for playing kickball I'm not shittalking anyone's cake classes

bowling :hfive:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Rick posted:

I'm going to become a college professor and become head of the game theory department, and the classes will be a FPS class, a tabletop RPG class, an MGS 5 class and I'll also force the athletes to play with me in MMOs as homework.

I teach games and game design sometimes and always get complaints from a few students that they didn't expect it to be so much work. :-/

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I got credits for yoga one semester and for listening to hip hop another. Good times

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

elentar posted:

I teach games and game design sometimes and always get complaints from a few students that they didn't expect it to be so much work. :-/

Yeah, we had a ton of people switch majors first semester when they realized that

Also, weeder (aka poorly taught) programming courses

I think I got a 1 or 2 credits for taking Racquetball as well

Phys ed chat, itt

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There was some goon who took jazz appreciation.

It was a total bunny and they were just cruising through it.

Out of nowhere the professor decided to gently caress them over. She had them listen to 10 different jazz samplings and the students had to identify who played them.

Anyway after a review the final was thrown out since no one in the class got a single one right lol

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I took a history of jazz class with Cole Aldrich and Jeff Withey, I didn’t know who Withey was at first so I just kept wondering who the new player that was even taller than Aldrich was

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I took a night class called "Close Listening" which was technically an English class where we were supposed to write about music. The professor was totally winging it and he missed 1/3 of the classes. I'm pretty sure nobody did worse than a B.

We had a dope reading list though. David Byrne's "How Music Works" is fascinating.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I took a night class called "Close Listening" which was technically an English class where we were supposed to write about music. The professor was totally winging it and he missed 1/3 of the classes. I'm pretty sure nobody did worse than a B.

We had a dope reading list though. David Byrne's "How Music Works" is fascinating.

I actually took a "Physics of Music" class and it was supposed to be open to non science students but like he gave us these impossible assignments that had nothing to do with the reading, experiments or lectures (which were interesting), even the science types couldn't get their head around and everyone (the class only had 5 people) on them, and they were never graded, and we had a take home final exam that he gave us over Thanksgiving break that I worked 12 hours on and got and still got F. We had this really weird project experience that he left in the middle of (it was not during regular finals time and he gave like a really confusing explanation about having to teach another class because of an emergency), and we had to come back out of class time two hours later (didn't have a car at the time so I couldn't come home). I was mad at that point. The last day of class he gave us a 90 minute lecture on how Global Warming was NOT a consensus (ironically I was also taking a global warming class). But when I looked on my report card, he gave me an A.

Anyway the class was really useful to know scientifically that audiophiles are full of poo poo.

My first year of college was really aimless and I basically wasted it outside of required classes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Field level archeology.

We dug in the dirt for a semester. No quizzes or tests. We found a handful of arrowheads but nothing too exciting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

My last semester I had to have 12 hours to keep my scholarship but only needed 9 to graduate so I filled out the last 3 with golf, racquetball and archery

Missed opportunity with fencing imo. I still remember parry 4, parry 6, etc.

Give me a floppy needle sword and I'll poke your average guy to death, it's clearly an important life skill to develop.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

Missed opportunity with fencing imo. I still remember parry 4, parry 6, etc.

Give me a floppy needle sword and I'll poke your average guy to death, it's clearly an important life skill to develop.

I have the range advantage though

I was going to do ultimate frisbee instead of archery but it filled up before I got my slot to sign up for classes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Applying for grad school I'm not even sure what half the classes I tom my freshman year were.

Visual imagination? Deconstructing parallel narratives? No wonder my parents hate me.

I took communication for business majors in Paris and got a c in it lol.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I took a class that met in Second Life

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hahaha, that reminded me that ECU put up a whole Second Life campus complete with pirate ship you could book for classes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm sure you could trace patient zero for that ecu specific std back to that boat.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Don't let anyone tell you Bill Self isn't the reason Mizzou/KU don't play for realsies:

https://twitter.com/JayhawkSlant/status/918919477835780096

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No joke, for one of my classes, we were given a 1 month free trial to WoW (before the intro levels were free), and had to write 3 page essay on tutorial systems. Game design courses had some weird assignments.

I had another course where the entirety of our grade was based on reviewing and creating board games.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 14, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

There was some goon who took jazz appreciation.

It was a total bunny and they were just cruising through it.

Out of nowhere the professor decided to gently caress them over. She had them listen to 10 different jazz samplings and the students had to identify who played them.

Anyway after a review the final was thrown out since no one in the class got a single one right lol

that was me. it was jazz piano appreciation and the song was my favorite things and it was insanely impossible. 20 second clip or whatever , exact same song, open ended "who played that, write it down, it can be anyone"

the prof was super disappointed with the students in an email explaining she threw the test out

also re : UNC its extra crazy that they pulled off this argument since they're one of the five public ivies. replace them with uiuc IMO

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 14, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Gonna take my games class in the spring on a class trip tour of different arcades so technically they will get some fractional credit for going to Dave and Buster's. They'll earn it by writing though.

mastershakeman posted:

also re : UNC its extra crazy that they pulled off this argument since they're one of the five public ivies. replace them with uiuc IMO

You realize the Public Ivy thing (and there were 8 of them, same as the regular Ivies) was just one guy, right? It's not a technical title or really anything but elitism and marketing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Don't let anyone tell you Bill Self isn't the reason Mizzou/KU don't play for realsies:

I'm less excited about this than I was since there will apparently be no TV broadcast. Or internet streaming option. I feel like you could make a lot more money selling ads than just donating the gate to charity.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Blame the NCAA for that. You aren't allowed to televise scrimmages

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pitino's been officially fired

https://twitter.com/WHAS11DRose/status/919998269887049729

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
During Iowa's media day Fran said he's snitched on other teams to the NCAA, which as a firm anti-narc I find incredibly disappointing unless it involved snitching on Illinois, which is one of the proudest Iowa basketball traditions

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

guy named Fran is a bitch. Who knew?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

guy named Fran is a bitch. Who knew?

get it guys because girls

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought it was Tom Izzo?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Big Ten: Snitches And Legends

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That was fast.

https://twitter.com/SprintCenter/status/920410036651913216

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sorry Florida and LSU...

quote:

Five-star recruit Emmitt Williams, 19, was arrested and charged with felony sexual battery and false imprisonment early Wednesday morning.

Williams, who is a top 25 prospect in the 2018 recruiting class, was booked at 12:40 a.m. by the Orlando police department and held on $3,500 bond. He is a senior at Oak Ridge High School in Orlando. He is scheduled to make an appearance in court this afternoon.

Williams visited LSU last weekend and was scheduled to visit Florida this weekend.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/10/18/five-star-recruit-emmitt-williams-arrested-charged-with-sexual-battery/

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Congratulations [insert-GLeague-team]!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

More good news for Florida teams

http://twitter.com/nathanfenno/status/920730413256941568

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

apparently MU's student allocation sold out in 90 seconds

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Top 25-ish PG Ayo Dosumnu announcing tonight. Illinois or Wake. Not sure why he didn't get more interest from better teams.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Troy Queef posted:

apparently MU's student allocation sold out in 90 seconds

Is this going to just be a Harlem Globetrotters style exhibition? It's cool they are raising money, but fans are kind of treating this like some kind of championship is on the line and it seems like they are going to end up disappointed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Well, Michael Porter Jr. said he's playing to win. So I imagine he and Jontay will be leaving a lot on the court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah this feels like Rocky V Drago in that it is an "exhibition" with two sides ready to kill each other.

Annnnnnnnd here. we. go.

https://twitter.com/GabeDeArmond/st...sunday.62180%2F

• Locked thread