Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

little munchkin posted:

trip report, playing G/W enchantment prison in modern:

guy audibly sighs when i play a turn zero leyline of sanctity, turns out he's on a mardu midrange deck full of discard and burn spells.he plays six nonbasics in a row, so I go Utopia Sprawl naming red then surprise him with a blood moon out of nowhere from my G/W deck. My wincon is about 20 cards deep but I draw it eventually and take game one. instead of playing game two my opponent silently packs up his stuff and goes to drop from the event.

This is living the dream :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

A newbie at my LGS plays my b/r pack rat deck that costs like 1k because "rabble master is a cool card". A deck that features rabblemaster, blood moon, and pack rat tilts some people.

What's in that that makes it 1k? Lilli's and blood moons?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

trip report, playing G/W enchantment prison in modern:

guy audibly sighs when i play a turn zero leyline of sanctity, turns out he's on a mardu midrange deck full of discard and burn spells.he plays six nonbasics in a row, so I go Utopia Sprawl naming red then surprise him with a blood moon out of nowhere from my G/W deck. My wincon is about 20 cards deep but I draw it eventually and take game one. instead of playing game two my opponent silently packs up his stuff and goes to drop from the event.

That is kind of going deep.

I get the "nice game of interactive magic" when playable bogles fairly often. A lot of those times from people playing dredge or whatever.

AceClown posted:

What's in that that makes it 1k? Lilli's and blood moons?

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/modern-monday-br-moon-rat/

Its not card for card but its basically jund dropping green for fun b/r cards.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 13, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I don't pull any punches against new players, but I will do things like explain when to cast their removal spell to break up my combo and point out onboard tricks and so on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

A newbie at my LGS plays my b/r pack rat deck that costs like 1k because "rabble master is a cool card". A deck that features rabblemaster, blood moon, and pack rat tilts some people.

Well he's not wrong about Rabblemaster.

Also gently caress it I'm running enchantment prison tonight, pray for me goons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

Well he's not wrong about Rabblemaster.

Also gently caress it I'm running enchantment prison tonight, pray for me goons.

Post your list. I might play it in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Token mirrors are the new billion life, unending slugfests.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Omar al-Bishie posted:

the awkwardness of crushing someone who can't for whatever reason play the game is kind of why I prefer xmage. I won against someone very recently at FNM in what should have been a crushing defeat because he just couldn't draw the right mana two games in a row. It was a real hollow victory and I felt bad for the guy

is it bad etiquette to have mercy in magic? like, it would probably have been weird if I'd just held back and not swung with my creatures waiting for him to draw mana? I do it in xmage sometimes if people gently caress up super bad or the UI bugs out in a way that negatively affects them

In your first example, I mean, if the issue was getting screwed, it's probably just a bad beat, and if it was a manabase problem, well, that's just this dumb expensive game. As a new player, I want to see the game play out as it's supposed to and have my opponent take a look at my deck afterward.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Post your list. I might play it in the future.

Credit to munchkin for the fine-tuning on this one-
4 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
4 Arbor Elf
1 Blood Moon
1 Cast Out
1 Courser of Kruphix
3 Eidolon of Blossoms
3 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Idyllic Tutor
1 Journey to Nowhere
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Quarantine Field
2 Runed Halo
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
2 Sphere of Safety
1 Story Circle
4 Utopia Sprawl

Sideboard:
1 Choke
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Gideon's Intervention
1 Greater Auramancy
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
2 Rest in Peace
1 Rule of Law
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Starfield of Nyx
1 Stony Silence
1 Story Circle
1 Suppression Field

One Nykthos will be a Mistveil Plains tonight as I don't know where my second copy of Nykthos is. Also I really wanted to run a singleton Emrakul a la Legacy Enchantress but am not sure that it's better than the current wincons, especially without actual Serra's Sanctum.

Sitting here counting down the minutes at work and wondering if I should put a Solemnity in the SB in place of a RIP, but I probably have enough ways to not take damage atm.

E: I think I have a Binding of Ixalan around here somewhere too...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 13, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

what's the win condition for g/w prison?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Omar al-Bishie posted:

the awkwardness of crushing someone who can't for whatever reason play the game is kind of why I prefer xmage. I won against someone very recently at FNM in what should have been a crushing defeat because he just couldn't draw the right mana two games in a row. It was a real hollow victory and I felt bad for the guy

is it bad etiquette to have mercy in magic? like, it would probably have been weird if I'd just held back and not swung with my creatures waiting for him to draw mana? I do it in xmage sometimes if people gently caress up super bad or the UI bugs out in a way that negatively affects them

eh, it's modern, you gotta accept the occasional non-game and just laugh it off or whatever. that particular guy openly admits he tilts off when he loses, he's pretty friendly otherwise.

I'll openly tell players how to kill me or tell them "don't do this because I can just do X to blow you out" if they're clearly inexperienced. I've pulled punches as well but you gotta make sure it's not noticeable so they don't think you're just playing with your food.

Sickening posted:

I get the "nice game of interactive magic" when playable bogles fairly often. A lot of those times from people playing dredge or whatever.

lol i love those guys. if you want to play an actual game so badly, don't play a cheesy deck that folds to a single hate card

C-Euro posted:

One Nykthos will be a Mistveil Plains tonight as I don't know where my second copy of Nykthos is. Also I really wanted to run a singleton Emrakul a la Legacy Enchantress but am not sure that it's better than the current wincons, especially without actual Serra's Sanctum.

Sitting here counting down the minutes at work and wondering if I should put a Solemnity in the SB in place of a RIP, but I probably have enough ways to not take damage atm.

getting up to 15 mana sounds real hard unless you're in an "I can win with anything here" game state, and the two wincons the deck currently play are actually decent at stabilizing. if you still want to run it for fun sigil is the weaker of the two wincons

i went up to 4 ghostly prison 3 spheres in the maindeck since you don't really have time to tutor for them against aggro. not sure what I moved to the sideboard. took out starfield because if you have a lot of stuff in the yard you're probably dead already. Ran a Solemnity in the board for 2-3 events but never actually put it in, the card is pretty narrow in practice

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 13, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
also disclaimer: the deck is Not Good and nowhere near worth the 100$ I spent on cards that nobody wanted to trade me

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 13, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Having never played the deck before, you either create a bunch of 4/4 fliers with Sigil of the Empty Throne or a bunch of 2/1s with Heliod. You also have Quarantine Field to mass-exile their board before you come in for the kill. Starfield of Nyx in the sideboard can also turn your enchantments into dudes that can attack.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

uninverted posted:

I don't pull any punches against new players, but I will do things like explain when to cast their removal spell to break up my combo and point out onboard tricks and so on.

NY has a lot of grinders that show new players no mercy, and I get store credit from judging so the store credit from winning means less to me, so I might go a bit overboard on my niceness.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A few weeks ago I got to live the dream of an Abzan deck looping a Kitchen Finks against me while I had a two Soul Wardens and a Suture Priest out in my Norin Sisters deck.

:haw: "Ok so I gain ten thousand life?"
:science: "...Sure? I gain twenty thousand?"
:haw: "Yeah sure I dont care"
:science: "Aetherflux Reservoir, shoot the finks, then shoot you for 12,000 life with the persist trigger on the stack?"
:haw: "Oh that's why you said that"

I had it happen online too, once, I had three sisters and Ajani's Pridemate on the field. They tap out to set up the combo, gain a million life, scry Murderous Recap to the top of their deck, pass turn. I play Legion Loyalist and swing in for 1.5mil trample that'll scale with the combo being repeated.

I love it when people don't think things through.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I actually feel like pulling punches against newer players hurts more than it helps. Every game or competitive endeavor I've ever gotten good at was through getting mercilessly stomped by whomever was teaching me. There's more value in seeing what "good at thing" looks like than there is in getting kid-gloved. You're not gonna let them win, so do the best thing and then explain why that was the best thing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Token mirrors are the new billion life, unending slugfests.

B/W token mirrors may be that way, but good token mirrors should either end because of Vraska or because of Search for Azcanta. It's still grindy but those two cards break stalemates pretty fast. I like Esper the best; Search, Champion of Wits, Scarab God, and Negate in the board are all incredibly good cards that also synergize with the deck.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I actually feel like pulling punches against newer players hurts more than it helps. Every game or competitive endeavor I've ever gotten good at was through getting mercilessly stomped by whomever was teaching me. There's more value in seeing what "good at thing" looks like than there is in getting kid-gloved. You're not gonna let them win, so do the best thing and then explain why that was the best thing.

I agree. I won’t pull punches, but if they’re friendly and open to it I’ll explain some things they could have done differently (if they made some big glaring mistakes) after the match.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah, I kind of felt bad yesterday because I was playing Standard Mill last night. I had Hostage Taker'd a Scarab God away the turn before. They just tank for a minute, then pass. I draw, go into main phase, and cast it. They say "in respoise, I'll Vraska's Contempt [the Taker] :smug:" and I gotta point out it doesn't work that way. And then I pulled no take backs because they were really passive aggressively making GBS threads on my deck playing 4 Slither Blades and Winds of Rebuke before. If you've got 4 Gods and 4 Torrential Gearhulks in your deck you should know how to do that correctly. And no, this person wasn't borrowing a deck to learn how to play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, I kind of felt bad yesterday because I was playing Standard Mill last night. I had Hostage Taker'd a Scarab God away the turn before. They just tank for a minute, then pass. I draw, go into main phase, and cast it. They say "in respoise, I'll Vraska's Contempt [the Taker] :smug:" and I gotta point out it doesn't work that way. And then I pulled no take backs because they were really passive aggressively making GBS threads on my deck playing 4 Slither Blades and Winds of Rebuke before. If you've got 4 Gods and 4 Torrential Gearhulks in your deck you should know how to do that correctly. And no, this person wasn't borrowing a deck to learn how to play.

Did you take time to explain that the Winds of Rebuke were there to clear away blockers so your Slither Blades could get through? I'm sure your opponent would have appreciated hearing that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The best feeling at a LGS is watching a new player learn from playing you and start giving an actual challenge. Even better if it's a kid. Mentoring them as they go from drafting garbage to placing in money consistently is good times.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
At my last pre-release, I got my rear end trounced by some kid that couldn't have been older than 14. He was also the only person who didn't want to play Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, Scissor Lizard to see who went first. Darn try-hard!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Aranan posted:

At my last pre-release, I got my rear end trounced by some kid that couldn't have been older than 14. He was also the only person who didn't want to play Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger, Scissor Lizard to see who went first. Darn try-hard!

Kid has no soul.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Found via the PYF fanart thead :3:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

bitprophet posted:

Found via the PYF fanart thead :3:

This is the best standard of all time, the fanart cinches it.

What's the decklist on this?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is the best standard of all time, the fanart cinches it.

You obviously haven't seen the Jace/Vraska Just Desserts fanart.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

You obviously haven't seen the Jace/Vraska Just Desserts fanart.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
jace cheating on sorin now that sorins literally a wall, scandalous

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PJOmega posted:

The best feeling at a LGS is watching a new player learn from playing you and start giving an actual challenge. Even better if it's a kid. Mentoring them as they go from drafting garbage to placing in money consistently is good times.

the best feeling at the lgs is the look on the face of my opponent as they realize i've brought signal the rats to modern night once again, and the fear of the embarrassment in knowing they can actually lose to the deck if they draw poorly

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Buy Null Rods now if you want them. Like right now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

suicidesteve posted:

Buy Null Rods now if you want them. Like right now.

lolno

its not even any good now that top is b&

in legacy right now, it doesn't do anything

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

it does nothing

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It certainly doesn't seriously slow down 2 of the best decks in legacy while being a common 4-of in vintage and on the reserved list.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did you just cite Vintage unironically?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I think WR prison might be my new favorite deck in modern. I've been durdling with it on xmage, and its so good at making the opponent absolutely miserable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I like RW Prison because I like Blood Moon and Ajani Vengeant.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Enchantment Prison trip report: 2-2, lost to Titanshift in three, then beat my buddy on my Mill deck in three, then beat MonoW Taxes in two, then lost to Merfolk in three. If you find yourself playing Modern but wishing you were playing EDH instead then boy howdy do I have the deck for you!

E: Also I was the last match to finish each round :lol:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 14, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mandatory lesbian posted:

jace cheating on sorin now that sorins literally a wall, scandalous

Nah. He's not a wall. He's just in a wall...for now.

It's like the difference between:

and

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

PJOmega posted:

That's a good point, I hadn't really invested much in it. My last FNM I let someone take back 3 or 4 plays (on round two against another 1-0, maybe that was too nice) and stopped when he played a card, verdant rebirth, I pointed out that damage to him goes through, and he took it back to his hand and started to untap his lands. I had to be like no, no, too much.

One of the guys that night had drafted a Vona, a couple call to the feasts, anointed deacons, but was running 12 lands. He got smoked the first round, we helped him tune up his deck and he won the next two.

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern? I want to sell off a bunch of my draft junk, maybe a few hundred dollars' worth and see about building my first modern deck. That seems to be the smart place to put money if I'm starting off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Carl Killer Miller posted:

That's a good point, I hadn't really invested much in it. My last FNM I let someone take back 3 or 4 plays (on round two against another 1-0, maybe that was too nice) and stopped when he played a card, verdant rebirth, I pointed out that damage to him goes through, and he took it back to his hand and started to untap his lands. I had to be like no, no, too much.

One of the guys that night had drafted a Vona, a couple call to the feasts, anointed deacons, but was running 12 lands. He got smoked the first round, we helped him tune up his deck and he won the next two.

What are some good lands to get into if you're starting off modern? I want to sell off a bunch of my draft junk, maybe a few hundred dollars' worth and see about building my first modern deck. That seems to be the smart place to put money if I'm starting off.

Four of each fetch land and two to three of each Ravnica shock land. Depending on the decks you want to build, other reasonable lands include:
Celestial Collonade
Dryad Arbor
Horizon Canopy (but this is about to be reprinted, so will drop in price)
Mixtures of fast lands