Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Re: lifetime pass chat from a few pages back

quote:

In addition to all the content talked about at Frontier Expo, we also have some pretty cool things in the works which will be available to purchase. We're not ready to talk about them just yet so we can't give you any details but rest assured that the lifetime expansion pass owners will be looked after and will be getting their hands on premium content as part of their lifetime expansion pass before the end of 2018 and the Beyond series of updates. 

I hope that helps, 

Zac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Chieftain looks a bit like the Raza from Dark Matter. I have to make my way back to the bubble.

Not so fast, isn't it like a year until we get them? Plenty of time to stay outside still.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Chieftain and Krait were slated for Q1 2018, so probably not that long. Wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

What upgrade should I run next for Engineers Roulette? Current Ship

What is the current money maker? I've heard something about transport missions in an Anaconda, but people are being shy with the details.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Xae posted:

What upgrade should I run next for Engineers Roulette? Current Ship

What is the current money maker? I've heard something about transport missions in an Anaconda, but people are being shy with the details.

That was transport missions to/from Rhea, they were stacking nicely because of a little glitch that has been fixed, from what I can see mainly by making 95% of passenger missions VIP so they take up an entire cabin (i believe they also fixed the actual bug as well).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone use EDSM? I saw a post showing a users travel history as a galactic map with lines of travel on and thought 'That looks cool' - turns out you need to upload your pilot data using a 3rd party app:

https://www.edsm.net/en/faq

About to install EDMarketConnector and I see

quote:

The first time that you run the app you are prompted for your username and password. This is the same username and password combination that you use to log into the Elite: Dangerous launcher, and is required so that the Frontier servers can send the app your data and the data for the station that you are docked at.

now is it just me or is sharing that with anyone outside of Frontier just asking to get your account stolen..? Or am I being over-cautious?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Yeah, I'd never use that kinda thing for that reason alone.

But perhaps I'm just spoiled by all the API stuff :ccp: makes readily available for third party app creators.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s absolutely a security risk, this is the sort of thing OAuth was made for. Either Frontier or the site developer is dangerously lazy.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Zero percent chance I would use that. This is today's internet and you will get hosed over and lose your account to shenanigans.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, even if they are honorable and honest, poo poo happens and people get hacked. :shrug:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
As far as I'm aware EDMC is a fan project that reverse engineered the ED companion app for iOS.

There is no official API from frontier and afaik they're not interested in making one.

Use EDMC at your own risk, tho I'll add that I've never heard anything bad come from using it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
loving the exploration qol changes, 20k plotting only hitting OBAFG stars? yes please.

found a trinary of two water worlds and an earthlike :stare:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

loving the exploration qol changes, 20k plotting only hitting OBAFG stars? yes please.

found a trinary of two water worlds and an earthlike :stare:
Some intelligent species is gonna evolve on one of those worlds and have some sick cosmology.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Through many long periods of not doing poo poo, I have arrived at Vera Rubin in Colonia.

I hate it because these cool sorts of moments make me love this game that I also hate.

And now I get to wait 3 days before my vulture transfers here.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 16, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
When you are at 100% with a faction towards the next rank up, does that prevent you from gaining any progress towards ranking up with the other two factions?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Hobold posted:

When you are at 100% with a faction towards the next rank up, does that prevent you from gaining any progress towards ranking up with the other two factions?

No.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I guess that means bounties and combat CGs don't count?

After that three weeks of CGs and pulling down like, 100m in bounties, my Imperial rank didn't move at all.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Hobold posted:

I guess that means bounties and combat CGs don't count?

After that three weeks of CGs and pulling down like, 100m in bounties, my Imperial rank didn't move at all.

Imperial rank is only improved by missions. Same with fed rank.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Imperial rank is only improved by missions. Same with fed rank.

And only the number of missions really matters.

This is why people look for boom systems next to boom systems and run courier missions for days on end.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Xae posted:

And only the number of missions really matters.

This is why people look for boom systems next to boom systems and run courier missions for days on end.

This is why it's important to get progression right in your game design. If something boring is the best way to progress, players will do that. So why not make the best way to progress also the interesting way to progress?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Makes me sad to see that some people reason the low CQC and MC population as being because of a lack of reward incentive to do those things.

Multicrew and CQC are fun without the rewards though.

If other people agreed with me on this, we would not have any trouble getting matches and crewmembers.

Being driven by money in a video game is just too stupid for me to get behind.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I haven't played for a few months, not since I bought an iCutter using a billion credits from Robigo runs, and ran out of self-generated goals.

I haven't been following the game closely since, but it seems that the new content is mostly tedious material collection to give to engineers who can make ship systems a few percent better.

Anything else that would warrant getting back into the game? (given that I don't particularly enjoy PvP)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, there's also the riveting gameplay of managing to meet the specific criteria to even unlock the engineers, then fulfilling the requirements to gain access to their engineering function :v:

Multicrew looks like a lot of fun but I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping that more than one person can fly fighters out of a single player's hangar bay.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

sincx posted:

I haven't played for a few months, not since I bought an iCutter using a billion credits from Robigo runs, and ran out of self-generated goals.

I haven't been following the game closely since, but it seems that the new content is mostly tedious material collection to give to engineers who can make ship systems a few percent better.

Anything else that would warrant getting back into the game? (given that I don't particularly enjoy PvP)

getting connected with the frogs i guess

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

also i'm sure i'm behind the curve but OBAFG and stellar remnants is A+ pro tier exploring filter

so many earthlikes

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Makes me sad to see that some people reason the low CQC and MC population as being because of a lack of reward incentive to do those things.

If other people agreed with me on this, we would not have any trouble getting matches and crewmembers.

I remember people discussing the same thing for Everquest in 1999.

People haven't changed since then, but most developers have. Developers realized players will always take the shortest path and tried to make that also the most fun path.

Then the really smart ones figured out that if they made the social aspects fun and engaging players would keep playing long after their interest in the game had died.

Instead Frontier actively tries to make the interesting and social things non-rewarding to please dumb forum dads.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It's frustrating because the bones of the game are good, Frontier just seems to listen to the wrong player base.

Implementing the barest of hand crafted scenarios, story would do wonders.

I'm optimistic about the guild mechanic but also can't wait to see how they smother it in the crib during a beta test like multicrew and cqc :jerkbag:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I still say that for earthlike (and terraformable water world) jackpot, you really want to focus on neutron stars — ones in binary pairs with, oh just about anything really, but M:s in particular (because of distances and speed of travel).

There's just something about neutron stars that screws with Stellar Forge's Goldilocks zone calculations, and if you find a decent-sized neutron field, you're up for an absolute worldsvaganza.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t understand how they hosed up the base design behind the flow of their mechanics. Why make this have MMO style gameplay that take weeks to do poo poo along with tons of RNG poo poo? The whole reason MMOs have those mechanics is specifically designed to keep you playing - and thus paying for a subscription or spending money on microtransactions to help speed up that intentionally long, “grindy” midsection. A good mmo will also give a sense of progression in a way you fundamentally learn more and more about your class or whatever so that at least some level of this progression is necessary to understand how to play in a more complex late game.

Elite’s mechanics have absolutely no arc save for maybe competitive PVP or tough PVE fights, and even the thargoids seem like pretty much a single step function instead of a difficulty curve. There’s no monthly subscription, so making me play longer does not make business sense. They have microtransactions, but none of them are “mechanical.”

So if you don’t have a shiny ‘endgame’ or plot or anything to advance to, why are you building poo poo like you do? The fun of the game is building new ships and poo poo like that, just make it cheaper and faster to do so I can fly everything instead of looking at the cutter, going “I just don’t give a gently caress enough considering the grind to the clipper almost killed me.”

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I'm like you but every time I think I'll do the engineers grind I'm put off by the bullshit amounts and low chances of materials, and it used to be worse!

I'm hoping with their focus shifting to improving core gameplay will fix some of these issues, but you know this is FDev so...

Let's wait and see I guess, but I'm not too hopeful.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Just got my AspX blowed up by security forces due to some stray cannon fire. The insurance payment alone really took the wind out of my sails. I haven't been fortunate enough to get in on any money making exploits and I don't have the time to farm for days to have a comfortable insurance cushion. Now I don't want to do anything fun in case it gets me blown up again.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

jubjub64 posted:

Just got my AspX blowed up by security forces due to some stray cannon fire. The insurance payment alone really took the wind out of my sails. I haven't been fortunate enough to get in on any money making exploits and I don't have the time to farm for days to have a comfortable insurance cushion. Now I don't want to do anything fun in case it gets me blown up again.

You can do one surface mission to make your rebuy. You can find one good system while exploring to do the same. You don't need an exploit.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

jubjub64 posted:

Rule #1 is (as it is for EVE): If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to fly it.

Currently it seems like all the easy-money loopholes are closed for now, but there's still massacre missions. Go find a warzone, get in a combat ship, and duke it out with the 2nd hardest form of PVE content for decent money. You can still find missions that pay out 20-30 million cr (for killing around 70-100 ships per mission). Sadly they do not stack anymore, so you have to kill the full amount per mission, but it's still good money.

I do the overwhelming majority of my CZ soloing in a vulture. Just pretend you're catholic and know when to pull out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The problem with CQC is it is it's own mode and divorced from the real game (besides a useless ranking). I understand the desire to have a 'jump in and play' hot seat mode; if they kept that and also integrated it into the main game more (fly to this station and queue up while docked) I think it would be sweet.

Isn't the premise you're basically an athlete like in any modern sport? It doesn't have to pay more than anything else but make it a comparable source of revenue in-game to doing missions, bounty hunting etc.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The lack of queue for multicrew is just loving baffling.

They developers are brittish, how could they gently caress up a queue?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

The problem with CQC is it is it's own mode and divorced from the real game (besides a useless ranking). I understand the desire to have a 'jump in and play' hot seat mode; if they kept that and also integrated it into the main game more (fly to this station and queue up while docked) I think it would be sweet.

Isn't the premise you're basically an athlete like in any modern sport? It doesn't have to pay more than anything else but make it a comparable source of revenue in-game to doing missions, bounty hunting etc.

[forumdad] I'll have you know that there were no arena fighting in the original 1984 game, child :smug:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Rv8QKSQVE

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
There needs to be a way for players to have competitive and consensual PvP while flying their existing ships.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mike the TV posted:

You can do one surface mission to make your rebuy. You can find one good system while exploring to do the same. You don't need an exploit.

The only reason that's true is because he's still in the sane part of the progression curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There needs to be a way for players to have competitive and consensual PvP while flying their existing ships.

It would be cool if they added a cqc-like mode where you entered a not having to pay insurance version of your ship and could pvp that way. Especially if they still did teams! Maybe even have an engineered vs not engineered trigger, or something.

• Locked thread