Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

My thought: I want to train my punchman to be a better punchman, but manifesting that only through adding a +1 to my punchmanning stat sounds boring. Choosing between different techniques and abilities is way cooler, and gives more option variety.

I've been idly tinkering with a system vaguely based on the one used in Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

* A skill is either trained or untrained. If you're untrained, roll [stat -2]. If trained, roll [stat]
* Each "skill" has a bunch of special effects
* How good you are with a skill is based entirely on your number of SFX. 1 is trained, 3 is advanced, 5 is master. Some SFX require a specific level.
* Special effects have cool downs periods
* SFX aren't just "can do X better", they can also cover stuff like "incendiary ammo" or "modified grenade fuse".

So, for example

Punchman!
Unless stated, all Punchman! moves deal [Body] damage
* Trained Fighter: Add +1 to all Punchman! rolls (permanent)
* Punch Extra Hard: Deal +1 damage (cooldown 1)
* Punch Fast: Subtract 1 from enemy defence until their next action (cooldown 1)
* Head Punch: Opponent takes -1 to next action (cooldown 2)
* Organ punch (Advanced): Opponent takes 1 damage at start of their action for their next two turns (cooldown 3)
* Groin shot (Advanced): Opponent can't use SFX next action (cooldown 3)
* Brawler (Master): Subtract 1 from damage dealt to use 2 other Punchman! SFX on this strike (e.g. deal [Body -1] to apply Punch Fast and Head Punch)

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cassa posted:

Not doubting it, I loved the online compendium, just wondering if there any notable changes.

Beyond magic missile.

You'd get numbers tweaks and revisions to key word effects pretty regularly. But then you'd also get times where WotC would print flat-out better versions of old feats in a book, inflating the feat count more and making it harder for new players to figure out which ones were best.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cassa posted:

Not doubting it, I loved the online compendium, just wondering if there any notable changes.

Beyond magic missile.
Stealth got errata'd pretty majorly. The skill check DC table got rewritten at least twice. And zones and zone-based powers got a massive errata right near the end of the line (mostly because they didn't want to fix the actual keyword since it was in the printed Rules Compendium and instead fixed all the powers).

There were plenty of others, that was just off the top of my head.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
4E had a fair bit of errata, but it avoided the traditional errata documents since they had the Compendium, and just included the updates in new printings/sourcebooks. They maintained documents to show when changes happened but since there were other, easier places to find the changes, they didn't become natural reference points like they had with other games/editions.

Plus the rule structure meant they could accomplish a lot with in a little bit of text. Adding a keyword to or removing one from a power or item, or switching one to another (eg. burst to blast) - or by moving something under a different existing rule umbrella, so even a major errata change tended to be much less wordy. For example, there was a major change to how Implements functioned, making proficiency the only gate to using them with any implement keyworded power. This amounted to a four sentence paragraph, and two of those sentences were just explicitly restating that the change applied to multi-classing.

tl;dr: 4E's got a bunch of errata, but WotC distributed it differently so it's not as in-your-face.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 29, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kai Tave posted:

but for the vast majority of (mostly non-magical) options there isn't an interesting path of progression to be had unless watching numbers incrementally tick upwards really does it for you. As a result, I dispute the notion that people sitting down to play Shadowrun who charop into their specialty of choice are denying themselves a rich, robust experience of character growth with their shortsighted actions, as Evil Mastermind is apparently concerned about. Instead it sounds a lot like they're skipping over a dull and tedious process that arrives at the same result whether it happens during chargen or after 20 sessions. They aren't missing out on a bunch of interesting decisions because there aren't any,

you and I played a very different game it seems

turning a samurai into the second decker, rigger, into a face or someone who can actually challenge astral entities during combat is meaningful imo

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cassa posted:

Beyond magic missile.
Yeah, both the compendium and builder were updated whenever errata was published, including notations to tell you when updates happened to various feats or powers.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, both the compendium and builder were updated whenever errata was published, including notations to tell you when updates happened to various feats or powers.

It can be a bit confusing, mind you. Our group learned of the "pit fighting cleric" fix only by seeing some cards suddenly change when a player levelled up and reprinted their character.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

As a result, I dispute the notion that people sitting down to play Shadowrun who charop into their specialty of choice are denying themselves a rich, robust experience of character growth with their shortsighted actions, as Evil Mastermind is apparently concerned about.
That...wasn't what I was concerned about at all.

My point was that the non-gear advancement options in Shadowrun don't feel like your character is actually advancing in a noticeable way because going from a ten-die pool to an eleven-die poll isn't really much of a change when you get right down to it. This was a complaint my players had, which I agreed with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

It can be a bit confusing, mind you. Our group learned of the "pit fighting cleric" fix only by seeing some cards suddenly change when a player levelled up and reprinted their character.
Yeah uh some of us nerds pored over the errata documents as soon as WotC uploaded them, and then went to forums to read hot takes from other nerds bitching about them. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have done the same.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

That...wasn't what I was concerned about at all.

My point was that the non-gear advancement options in Shadowrun don't feel like your character is actually advancing in a noticeable way because going from a ten-die pool to an eleven-die poll isn't really much of a change when you get right down to it. This was a complaint my players had, which I agreed with.

Ah, in that case I agree entirely. This is also down to the fact that a single die in Shadowrun isn't very impactful. It's 0.33etc. of a success on average, in a system where you generally want multiple successes, especially in combat which features opposed attack/defense rolls. This is WHY dice pools in Shadowrun can wind up so high, because meaningful difference in capability only comes as a result of adding a number of dice to something instead of a +1 here and there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Sphynxian/status/918577166190895106

it is completely unsurprising to me that, given the building thrum of abuse revelations in the wake of the Weinstein abuse charges, that another industry with a hidden history would be RPGs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm waiting for the reveal that the abuse is something like underpaying contracted work rather than the sexual harassment implied by the timing.

Because harassment hasn't been "unfathomable" in this industry for a long time, and the community is sadly much more comfortable with it than payment disputes. Its tradition of harassment isn't hidden, it's ignored.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Considering the thread's talking about a PFS organization volunteer I doubt it has anything to do with contract work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Now I'd really like to see this NDA, because I'm having difficulty believing it actually says what they think it does.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Now I'd really like to see this NDA, because I'm having difficulty believing it actually says what they think it does.

Same. I could find two places that talk about an NDA on Paizo's website in connection with Pathfinder Society. Here: http://paizo.com/organizedplay/coordinators/volunteer (which doesn't provide any context about it) and here http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5la9n?Official-Call-for-Paizo-Publishing-Gen-Con which while not explicit seems to be about not publicizing a prerelease copy of the core rules. An NDA for volunteers not to disclose tortious conduct by other volunteers seems unlikely and massively shady.

This is a federal district court in CA, but I think it's broadly true across the US:

Armstrong v. Sexson, 2007 WL 1219297, at *10 (E.D. Cal. Apr. 25, 2007) posted:

“[A]ll bargains tending to stifle criminal prosecution, whether by suppressing investigation of crime or by deterring citizens from their public duty of assisting in the detection or punishment of crime, are void as against public policy.” Williston on Contracts § 15:8. See also Lachman v. Sperry-Sun Well Surveying Co., 457 F.2d 850 (10th Cir.1972) (holding that public policy would be offended by enforcement of certain nondisclosure provisions in contract where nondisclosure would likely permit a crime to be committed without detection).

It talks about crime and not intentional torts but I'm assuming that the abuse @Sphynxian refers to is of a criminal nature as well.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It probably does actually say what they think it says. Whether that's enforceable is another question entirely. Unfortunately, even if the provision would likely get struck down in court, that still requires actually going through the legal process to get there.

EDIT: I'm more experienced with this on the Terms of Service side of things, but I've seen and heard about it with NDAs too. It's sadly common to find provisions that are so sweeping in either abrogating corporate responsibility or restricting signatories that no judge would ever uphold them if challenged, but you have to actually go through the process of challenging them.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 13, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I wonder if this is something Paizo themselves are involved with, or if it's a pack of idiots running a local game group? I'm not trying to absolve Paizo, I've just seen plenty of people conflate the actions of game groups with the makers of the game they're playing. I have no idea how hands on they are with PF Society. If they're hands off and this is a result, maybe they should get hands on. In the end, I judge these kinds of things from how the companies involved react after wrongdoing is discovered. Even if Paizo is hands off, it still reflects terribly on them if they do nothing.

Is an NDA a standard thing to force people volunteering to run games for a nerd club to sign? Are they using it for playtesting?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 13, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Isn't Pathfinder Society just the organized play system for Paizo? Why would it need people to sign NDAs?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

In reverse order...

Lightning Lord posted:

Is an NDA a standard thing to force people volunteering to run games for a nerd club to sign? Are they using it for playtesting?
No to the first, yes to the second, which is why PF Society does it.

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder if this is something Paizo themselves are involved with, or if it's a pack of idiots running a local game group? I'm not trying to absolve Paizo, I've just seen plenty of people conflate the actions of game groups with the makers of the game they're playing. I have no idea how hands on they are with PF Society. If they're hands off and this is a result, maybe they should get hands on.
It's never been entirely clear to me how Paizo and PF Society interconnect in a strictly technical sense, but it's pretty clear any separation is entirely technical. It's much closer than even TSR/WotC was with the RPGA and the Living campaigns, and I know of at least one case where WotC came down on them due to bad behavior of participants. I think it's fair to hold the publisher's feet to the fire when they've lent out their trademarks and established an official seal of approval for it.

There are some cases where it's less fair - there's a much wider separation with other lines and the organizations connected to them. The Shadowrun living campaigns, for example, aren't really connected to the publisher and their ability to keep using the name was part of the licensing negotiations. The same for L5R and Heroes of Rokugan. Those are trickier because the current publisher inherited the connection in a way that gave them very little control. Ironically, that probably does more to shield the Shadowrun campaigns from a lovely publisher in their case. HoR, on the other hand, seems to have a reasonably cordial if not well developed relationship with FFG.

That's clearly not how Paizo and PF Society relate, though. So if Paizo washes their hands of it and claim they have nothing to do with the situation, it's going to be pretty blatantly them wriggling out of something they really should be responsible for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

moths posted:

I'm waiting for the reveal that the abuse is something like underpaying contracted work rather than the sexual harassment implied by the timing.

It's presumably a followup to the trainwreck he discussed here.

Paizo's been trying very strongly to tout their progressiveness lately, but the same time they have crossovers with Kingdom Death: Monster or trying to do eat-cheesecake-and-be-progressive-too stuff like Worldscape. Well, at least the latter's for charity. Paizo isn't of one face on these issues, and knows sexy stuff sells (I mean, I could just quote Mona on that), but they're trying to walk a rope between progressive politics and regressive genre fiction and satisfy both customer bases... somehow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
PFS is explicitly part of Paizo, and not separate or volunteer run. It’s actually lead by full-time Paizo staffers and is organized at a company level, with an extensive product line, rules support, and so on.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
That's a lot more substantial than a PFS volunteer harassing, if the linked thread is the same situation--he is considerably higher up than any PFS employees or volunteers, albeit not directly employed by Paizo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's presumably a followup to the trainwreck he discussed here.

That one was introduced as a situation in which he was a passive participant, this new one is something where the harassed party confided in him.

NDA shouldn't come into this at all. This behavior ought to be covered by a PFS volunteer "code of conduct" agreement. Harassment (according to my HR department's annual trainings) is defined as unwelcomed, repeated behaviour. Sexual harassment needn't be repeated to constitute harassment.

Any company that's even heard of a lawyer ought to have a harassment policy on the books, which should extend to vendors, subcontractors, volunteers, etc.

I found this:

quote:

Code of Conduct

Both Paizo and the Pathfinder community are founded on a culture of respect. Please respect other players and playstyles. Refusal to do so may result in warnings or expulsion from Society play.

Harassment is not tolerated on any basis, including but not limited to age, disability, gender, identity, race, or sex. If you are harassed, feel threatened, or have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to tell a volunteer or coordinator.

Neither Paizo nor the Pittsburgh PFS community are responsible for the codes of conduct of the locations and venues that host Pathfinder Society Organized Play, but we reserve the right to remove players from Pathfinder Society Organized Play for violations of our Code of Conduct that do not violate the codes of conduct of the hosting venues.]

On a local PFS group's page, it's pretty clear that their (stated) policy isn't to point at an NDA and shrug.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah. Paizo, for their part, has harassment policies. Whether or not they're being implemented earnestly would be the question.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Agreed. And I don't know that Paizo is accountable until we know that they were made aware of it.

It sounds to me like she was pre-silenced by another PFS volunteer's lovely (or malicious) misunderstanding of the NDA.

But again, we really don't know anything about the situation. All we have is a Tweet telling us to get mad at Paizo.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

moths posted:

Agreed. And I don't know that Paizo is accountable until we know that they were made aware of it.

It sounds to me like she was pre-silenced by another PFS volunteer's lovely (or malicious) misunderstanding of the NDA.

But again, we really don't know anything about the situation. All we have is a Tweet telling us to get mad at Paizo.
At minimum it's Paizo not exercising adequate oversight and not standing up robust policies and procedures, and with the context of other verified situations, they've had ample warning that they needed to do both.

At this point, the details are more about how mad to get at Paizo.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

At minimum it's Paizo not exercising adequate oversight and not standing up robust policies and procedures, and with the context of other verified situations, they've had ample warning that they needed to do both.

At this point, the details are more about how mad to get at Paizo.

Did I miss a post? What actually happened that we know about?

Edit: oh okay, I found it. If anyone else is dense like me, details are in the Twitter thread. You just have to suffer through reading a longform essay broken up into 140 character increments.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 14, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Comrade Gorbash posted:

In reverse order...

No to the first, yes to the second, which is why PF Society does it.

It's never been entirely clear to me how Paizo and PF Society interconnect in a strictly technical sense, but it's pretty clear any separation is entirely technical. It's much closer than even TSR/WotC was with the RPGA and the Living campaigns, and I know of at least one case where WotC came down on them due to bad behavior of participants. I think it's fair to hold the publisher's feet to the fire when they've lent out their trademarks and established an official seal of approval for it.

There are some cases where it's less fair - there's a much wider separation with other lines and the organizations connected to them. The Shadowrun living campaigns, for example, aren't really connected to the publisher and their ability to keep using the name was part of the licensing negotiations. The same for L5R and Heroes of Rokugan. Those are trickier because the current publisher inherited the connection in a way that gave them very little control. Ironically, that probably does more to shield the Shadowrun campaigns from a lovely publisher in their case. HoR, on the other hand, seems to have a reasonably cordial if not well developed relationship with FFG.

That's clearly not how Paizo and PF Society relate, though. So if Paizo washes their hands of it and claim they have nothing to do with the situation, it's going to be pretty blatantly them wriggling out of something they really should be responsible for.

Recall that this kind of behavior in The Camarilla (White Wolf's LARP fanclub) is a huge part of why CCP first took it over entirely, then divested themselves of it and denied the new org access to even the name.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Recall that this kind of behavior in The Camarilla (White Wolf's LARP fanclub) is a huge part of why CCP first took it over entirely, then divested themselves of it and denied the new org access to even the name.

It was pretty much that from what I understand and that they didn't want to be bothered. CCP was very hands off and honestly just wanted the IP.

The whole reason the Camarilla was owned by White Wolf in the first place was because the Camarilla tried to sue White Wolf and unsurprisingly lost. It was originally loosely affiliated with White Wolf and White Wolf had to reign them in after that incident.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

the Camarilla tried to sue White Wolf

wait what

why

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Red Metal posted:

wait what

why
Essentially, The Camarilla leadership wanted to make money off White Wolf's IP and didn't want to pay White Wolf for that privilege, and they didn't think White Wolf could tell them what to do with the IP, or had any standing to say what the club could or couldn't do, even as they claimed to be the official fan club and thus directly benefited from that relationship.

Now, some of The Camarilla's concerns weren't totally crazy. There was an argument over whether White Wolf owned the member lists and some other documents and records that had been created entirely by the people running The Camarilla. That's an aspect worth thinking about. Fans produce things in parallel to the IP they're fans of all the time, and it's an important question as to how much ownership the IP holder can exert over that.

But where The Camarilla totally lost the plot is they essentially tried to operate as a separate business from White Wolf. Even if they really had just been an appreciation society, that's shaky ground. In The Camarilla's case, it was patently obvious that it's entire existence was based on directly engaging with White Wolf's product, and even the service they provided was impossible to disentangle from White Wolf's products. Everything they had was a derivative work. On top of that they wanted to bar White Wolf from setting up a new fan club operation. So they wanted their cake and to eat it too. They wanted to make money off White Wolf's IP and prevent White Wolf from making money with the same service, and didn't want to pay White Wolf or take any direction from White Wolf while doing so.

There were a couple of legitimate grievances members of The Camarilla could bring against how White Wolf handled things, but most of those had been exacerbated by the club's leadership. Those problems were never really part of the disagreement between White Wolf and the club leadership, but got held up as pretty obvious attempt to gain sympathy. In the end the whole thing was driven by greed and a sense of entitlement by The Camarilla's leadership at the time, and probably fear that White Wolf would remove them for the lovely way they'd been running things (not misplaced, but also largely their own fault).

Sadly White Wolf really didn't do much to fix the legitimate problems the club had, though by accounts the leadership they put in place was less aggressively awful.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2017

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
A little ways back discussion-wise, but I wanted to touch on the wide vs deep method for character development, since it's something I've been playing with for a while. Most of my game design work in the last couple of years has totally discarded number increases in favor of widening context.

GAG's the easiest one I can point to, since it's a finished game that I've actually tested and poo poo. Damage is always the same. It always starts at 1. If you do something creative, you get +1. If you target an enemy's weakness, you get +1. So you always do 1, 2, or 3 damage. That part's kind of boring but I'll get back around to the principle of that in a second.

What drives it is that those numbers never change, but the context does. A character that gets super strength or learns to control fire does the same 1, 2, or 3 damage as one without, but super strength and fire control give you new opportunities to get creative for a bonus, or be able to exploit a weakness for the other bonus. A dude with no powers has limited options; the dude with those powers can make a car into boxing gloves or use his fire on an ice-based creature or whatever. In that way, even a lot of non-combat stuff suddenly becomes incredibly potent. A flashbang or a grappling hook or telepathy aren't just bigger or smaller math, they become new tools to solving a problem ("how do I deal damage in a way I haven't done before" or "how do I take advantage of the type of monster I'm fighting"). Some abilities may add secondary effects to their damage ("enemy is blinded in addition to damage," or "this attack is considered exploiting a weakness against any undead") but the damage is always restrained to 1-3.

HP works the same way. All player characters in GAG have the same base HP, but different powers change how or when they can heal, what resources they can exchange for damage mitigation, or what happens when they take damage.

I'm not just trying to toot my own horn, because the problem I've ran into is that GAG's damage method is kind of boring--in the future I'm looking more into escalating dice (minimum d6 damage, d8 with a bonus, d10 with two bonuses) or take-the-best (1d10 with a regular attack, 2d10 take the highest if creative or advantageous, 3d10 take the highest if all of the above). I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the basic principle, though, because it takes math off the table. Players are still constantly looking forward and digging for new abilities to make their characters more diverse and to give them new options and to solve problems combat and otherwise (making GBS threads spider webs is suddenly useful in AND out of combat), but there's no emphasis on trying to stack numbers. If you got all the bonuses you need to do max damage, you got all the bonuses (good job). The numbers are important to the game but it's not WHAT the numbers are, it's everything AROUND the numbers that matters and gets moved around and leveled up.

This is a lot of words, but my point is wide character development can work extremely well. I'm not even that good at it, because I'm sure somebody can scan through my RPG and still point out "X is better than Y", but removing the number stacking from the equation does make it infinitely easier to balance. You don't have to worry about whether or not Player 1 does 5 damage while Player 2 does 10,000, all you have to worry about is whether your telekinesis has enough of limits to balance it against super speed or whatever. You can still laser focus on character types--gun skill doesn't need to be an escalating +Number to Gun Damage. It can be "player can now bounce bullets off walls," "player can now aim dodge enemy bullets into other enemies," "player's gun bullshit now works when driving a vehicle with guns," etc. The character is still Gun Person if that's all they want to be.

Sorry for the huge post, but I haven't gotten to talk game design in a while.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's a wonderful post but I don't know if you meant to post it in the game design thread?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Golden Bee posted:

It's a wonderful post but I don't know if you meant to post it in the game design thread?

It's related to a discussion some pages ago with regards to RPG advancement/charop and the perverse incentives (or lack of incentives) that some games create through their mechanics.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Yeah, I was late to the What Is CharOp / Is It Bad discussion, but I'm up my own rear end enough to think I still had something to contribute two pages later.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And the shits keep on coming:

https://twitter.com/delafina777/status/920489843821486080

I am shocked SHOCKED that some ancient grog turned out to be a creeper.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's not surprising at all given his erratic behavior around his Kickstarter.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Honestly his behavior reminds me a bit of how the author SM Stirling has been known to act online--talks a reasonably progressive game (with some caveats of "but realism") and then absolutely melts down when corrected or called out on problems with his attitudes and behaviors. This is a dude who managed to get himself banned from multiple alt-history communities--like literally got himself banned from places where it is okay to say "what if the nazis won WWII."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I got ten bucks and a bottle cap collection says he's so adamant that freezing up means women want it because if he faces up to the number of women who froze up at his assaults then there's a real uncomfortable label he'd have to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It's not necessarily anything so sinister. Plenty of old-school liberals put ~*~the dialogue~*~ on a pedestal, which involving asking questions and playing devil's advocate, and believe that they have the right/duty to expression their opinions even on things they know nothing about. If you push back against them in the wrong way - particularly by pointing out they don't know what they're talking about - their natural response is to dig their heels in and double down. And if you block them on new media, whoo boy...

I mean, it might be what you're saying. Just offering an alternative explanation. (Either way it's not cool.)

• Locked thread