Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I rewatched Lost Highway recently and I feel like there is a lot of common ground between it and Twin Peaks S3 2017. It's been a while and at one or two points during Twin Peaks I thought, yep, that's a bit like Lost Highway. No man, a lot of Twin Peaks stuff is a lot like Lost Highway.

I also watched Mulholland Drive and got the strong impression that the espresso man and his associate are kind of proto versions of the Mitchums. I wonder if David dug out a few old notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

eSporks posted:

Don't put words in my mouth!

I never said everything sucked. The weird mysterious island was cool, and it was fun to try and piece it all together. Then the ending just goes "hey, ya know the only good part about the show, well turns out, that part doesn't matter is really about your emotional investment to these empty husks of characters, and something about good vs evil"

To carry the analogy further. Handjobs are cool, but only when they lead to something else. If you are going to give me a handjob and not finish, then tell me it was about the rich conversation we had I'm gonna be a little mad.

this guy watches tv to get jacked off

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Escobarbarian posted:

Just to make it even clearer than the above posts - they did NOT turn out to be in purgatory the entire time.

And that's fine because that isn't what I said. Jesus gently caress.

The only point I was making was they said they wouldn't do a purgatory ending and then that was exactly what they did. Whether it was on the island or not is immaterial.

That's all. I'm not prolonging this dumb argument any further.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 14, 2017

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Maelstache posted:

And that's fine because that isn't what I said. Jesus gently caress.

You said that "people were making "they must be in hell/heaven/purgatory" predictions from like day one." Isn't that the same as "the entire time"?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
No, no. You don't understand. That isn't what I feel I said.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's the words he didn't say

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My Lovely Horse posted:

I rewatched Lost Highway recently and I feel like there is a lot of common ground between it and Twin Peaks S3 2017. It's been a while and at one or two points during Twin Peaks I thought, yep, that's a bit like Lost Highway. No man, a lot of Twin Peaks stuff is a lot like Lost Highway.

I also watched Mulholland Drive and got the strong impression that the espresso man and his associate are kind of proto versions of the Mitchums. I wonder if David dug out a few old notes.

It feels like elements of almost every Lynch film make an appearance in season 3, it really does sum up his career. I'd like a fourth season just to see what he'd do with it, but really, if this is the final film he works on it's a satisfying way to end.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I've never seen Lost and now thanks to this thread I never need to.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

TheBizzness posted:

I've never seen Lost and now thanks to this thread I never need to.

its actually okay but people take it too seriously

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only watched season 1 of Lost (like 10 years ago, maybe more) and I could barely get through that. It was so boring.

java
May 7, 2005

Finally watched the full season 3. Loved every bit of it, even the batshit ending. The one thing that threw me was the super imposed Cooper in episode 17. Does anyone have an solid guesses about what that was about?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

java posted:

Finally watched the full season 3. Loved every bit of it, even the batshit ending. The one thing that threw me was the super imposed Cooper in episode 17. Does anyone have an solid guesses about what that was about?

We live in a dream.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://astoriabay.com/products/twin-peaks-low-tops

My Chuck IIs have been falling apart for a while, and these are a limited time thing available until 10/31, so I ordered 'em.

If you get them, use discount code COOPER for 10% off!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Only up to a men's 12. Curse these clown shoe sized feet.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
looks like a pretty good symbol of individuality and a belief in personal freedom

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a girlfriend who was loving 100% nuts about lost and said it was the best show ever and there's SO MUCH TO IT and WHERE ARE THEY GOING WITH IT! and IT'S SO AMAZING. So I watched season 1 which was decent but then it sort of went off on weird tangents and I carried on watching mainly because she said "I promise it gets even better" and I am ashamed to admit I carried on going for quite a while. When there was a season where some people got off the island I gave up in disgust though. Oh no wait, the actual scene that made me say "NO" was when... Jack was dead? or in a coffin? and then Locke maybe went to his funeral? and then Jack opened his eyes and was actually alive, or something, made me say "lolllll no". Also I dumped her.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
When Volte brought up Lost and me and a few others commented on it, it was in relation to the ending of Twin Peaks. Both shows have divisive endings.

Just posting ”i don't like Lost" in this thread is loving stupid.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hey remember when julee cruise was pissed at lynch after the finale? i think she got over it? https://www.facebook.com/julee.cruise1/posts/1412681318845359?pnref=story

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

hey remember when julee cruise was pissed at lynch after the finale? i think she got over it? https://www.facebook.com/julee.cruise1/posts/1412681318845359?pnref=story

alot of nutty people work with lynch I think hes used to people having mania

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vikar Jerome posted:

why she was pissed?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Obv. she left her phone unlocked around Lynch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Elias_Maluco posted:

why she was pissed?

something to do with the amount of screen time she got i think. i think she and everyone expected a full song and it was probably set that way but had to get cut down for time.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What does julee cruise have to do with LOST?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

What does julee cruise have to do with LOST?

She wrote the hit single "You all everybody"

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You guys are proactively destroying this thread, I hope you realize that :cry:

Just goldmine it or put us out of our misery, guys. The last page and two posters have left us no choice! Jerks :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lock until the Blu Ray

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Also the book comes out in a couple weeks!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t lock it cause I might miss out on stuff like those dope-rear end shoes I’m totally getting for Christmas

who listens to karowu, trick is scared of ceiling fans because of television

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i think you'll find that the concept of ceiling fans was invented by anime

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Escobarbarian posted:

who listens to karowu, trick is scared of ceiling fans because of television

Yeah, maybe you should go make a podcast about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Lucky this afternoon and it was beautiful. Just a low stakes slice of life movie set in a small town with Harry Dean Stanton, David Lynch and others giving incredible monologues. It's one of my favorite movies of the year. What a great sendoff for HDS :love:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, maybe you should go make a podcast about it.

is this meant to be, like, a burn?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Lucky this afternoon and it was beautiful. Just a low stakes slice of life movie set in a small town with Harry Dean Stanton, David Lynch and others giving incredible monologues. It's one of my favorite movies of the year. What a great sendoff for HDS :love:

Really pumped to see this! There's no convenient theater showing it near me, has there been any word on a wider release?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Really pumped to see this! There's no convenient theater showing it near me, has there been any word on a wider release?
Not that I know of :( There's only one theater in my area playing it and they only have 2 showtimes per day. It'll probably be available on demand in a couple months if not sooner, I'd imagine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw it last Friday at the London Film Fest and I had a massive migraine the whole time but I still loved it. Stanton is incredible and it's a great 'simple' movie. Also one of the writers was Stanton's assistant for 16 years!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Seinfeld2000/status/922272542903091200

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Newman looks in a mirror and sees BOB, smiling in approval with his hands together.

Or

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Newman looks in a mirror and sees BOB, smiling in approval with his hands together.

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMi7zrrvqEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
That part in Twin Peaks s2 where Donna is mouthing the words of that just kind of bad Julee Cruise song to James is the cringiest moment in the entire series, the other (2?) songs she did for the show were great though.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 23, 2017