Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

corn in the bible posted:

They're that way for a reason, which is that they're nostalgia trips for people who didn't like all this support nonsense or thought the games had gotten easy or the maps were too small or whatever. They're designed to appeal to people who loved the NES games, which is basically just Japanese people, since those never got localized.

e: like here's a map from fire emblem 4, on the snes

Snooze Cruise posted:

Jesus loving christ.

I mean at least it is a pretty nice looking map, but I just can't imagine playing that without wanting to pull out my hair.

That's being a little deceptive, FE4 has big maps because each map is its own chapter with several smaller missions within them, and in fact the entire game only has a dozen chapters/maps in total. It's actually really quite cool, because every map is pretty much an entire country you're cutting your way through.

FE4 and the second DS remake (New Mystery of the Emblem) which got a very good fan translation are both some of the better Fire Emblem games, don't listen to corn's lies. Shadow Dragon is bad though, that part's true.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

Senran Kagura Burst

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The White Dragon posted:

it doesn't have to be a woman but preying on the hero's weaknesses or desires in an appealing way is one of the oldest ploys in the book dude

It's such a common trope in the heroic monomyth that Joseph Campbell defined and named it The Appearance of the Temptress in his own book.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah the first Troper

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You have to admit, there is an abnormal frequency of sexy spider ladies in video games.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Baldurs Gates frost skeleton archers and traps maze is what killed my once serious attempt at finishing it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

You have to admit, there is an abnormal frequency of sexy spider ladies in video games.

There are 200% too many. Like, there already should be 100% fewer, but there is an additional 100% added on because the idea never should have crossed a human being's mind in the first place

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Agreed, sexy ant ladies are woefully underrepresented.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

yeah no that doesn't solve the problem of "sometimes the trap isn't detected in the 6s cycle" or "this corridor has buggy LoS tee hee hee" gygax is a fuckman who can suck my dick

just gimme a link to the trap removal mod cmon man

pokemonamie

I don't know if there is one. I didn't play EE. The original BG2 penalized you for certain armors but AFAIK looking up EE this doesn't apply in the original. The original had a console command to reveal all hotspots like ctrl + 4 or something, maybe those commands are still floating around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

I don't know if there is one. I didn't play EE. The original BG2 penalized you for certain armors but AFAIK looking up EE this doesn't apply in the original. The original had a console command to reveal all hotspots like ctrl + 4 or something, maybe those commands are still floating around.

apparently when i was searching the other day, they were doing some weird overhaul poo poo but g3 is back and i found the updated modpacks. goodbye traps, goodbye buggy line of sight, hello not having to rest every five seconds because you stepped on a trap

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jay Rust posted:

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

Nier Automata. Specifically show them the last ending.

Other choices: Silent Hill 2, Last of Us

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Major/Minor

(actual answer: Hellblade)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

I am at THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY. so in between doors 6 and 7 i think. I'll play more tomorrow after work.
Nice. I was mostly wondering you were still in Doors 1-3, in other words the pre-:psyduck: chapters.

Fata Morgana is so good, it's my favorite VN.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I feel like the best games take advantage of the interactivity of the medium, so you could talk all day about how games are art but if somebody is just watching an LP of SH2 or Hellblade or w/e they're not going to connect with how they deliver an experience apart from just watching a very long movie with door puzzles.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

Nice. I was mostly wondering you were still in Doors 1-3, in other words the pre-:psyduck: chapters.

Fata Morgana is so good, it's my favorite VN.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how those first 3 doors ultimately tie into all the stuff that came afterwards outside of Giselle being forced to experience all that stuff.

Also the music in that game can be at once beautiful and altogether extremely unnerving. What a strange OST.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Samuringa posted:

I'm sure we can reach a compromise. Make it a monstrous spider. And add boobs.

Eight boobs.

:bigtran:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I would be much more cool about them making Shelob a normal lady if it attempted to also have the twist that somehow, workout you noticing Shelob was just above you the whole time, controlling the lady like a marrionette

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jay Rust posted:

I'd show them Doom.

e: I don't mean Doom 2016 either, although the larger point here is it really doesn't matter what game it is.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 14, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if only Frodo and Sam had ground for more money in Moria, they could have just bought something from Shelob's bake sale and saved themselves a ton of grief

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time since it came out, I thought it was pretty all right back then but as a teenager I thought I was too adult for it. I'm only like an hour in and it's pretty fun but I've one question. I figured it's an old game and old console so it'd be more sensible to post it here than Switch chat or w/e. The little blue star cursor you use to pick up starbits disappears for me a lot but the controller never loses connectivity and it seems to be perfectly fine when I open the Wii menu. My controllers and Wii are all release ones though and have been in a wardrobe for quite a while now so is this a common glitch or banjaxed hardware.

e: I guess it's just super specific about pointing at the tv and being further back makes more sense to it

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 14, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I would be much more cool about them making Shelob a normal lady if it attempted to also have the twist that somehow, workout you noticing Shelob was just above you the whole time, controlling the lady like a marrionette

yeah if they actually cared about shelob as a character there were tons of cool things they could do. im pretty sure they just felt the game needed a big titty lady, turned shelob into one and called it a day

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jay Rust posted:

Doom 2016 or the new Wolfenstein games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would show them Pong or Space Quest. You need to start somewhere

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

I would show them Pong or Space Quest. You need to start somewhere

Space Quest? You mean Space War? I wouldn't exactly call Sierra games "art"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time since it came out, I thought it was pretty all right back then but as a teenager I thought I was too adult for it. I'm only like an hour in and it's pretty fun but I've one question. I figured it's an old game and old console so it'd be more sensible to post it here than Switch chat or w/e. The little blue star cursor you use to pick up starbits disappears for me a lot but the controller never loses connectivity and it seems to be perfectly fine when I open the Wii menu. My controllers and Wii are all release ones though and have been in a wardrobe for quite a while now so is this a common glitch or banjaxed hardware.

e: I guess it's just super specific about pointing at the tv and being further back makes more sense to it

How is the pointer in the menu screen? You can calibrate the pointer and set the height of the sensor bar. I picked up a third party sensor (which is probably dirt cheap now) that lets you adjust the IR so I can play up close or far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

raditts posted:

i dunno man i think the part of leisure suit larry 3 where you escape from cannibal lesbians would be a real eye-opener

show someone any piece of gameplay from a leisure suit larry game, so you can prove it's art they never want to interact with in their lives

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hmm

Planescape Torment probably

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Jay Rust posted:

None because it's not my job to dissuade random people of their unharmful prejudices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

raditts posted:

oh yeah oops

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Id make them fight me in a FT10 of Super Turbo.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kanfy posted:

Agreed, sexy ant ladies are woefully underrepresented.

Next EDF gonna be weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing Jet Set Radio Future for the first time in 14 years and it owns so loving much.

Also serious answer: this game

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My game as art is something that blends gameplay and audio/visual so Hotline Miami

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bad Rats

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ometeotl posted:

None because it's not my job to dissuade random people of their unharmful prejudices.

Pretty much this.

Also finally beat Cuphead. I died 281 times.

Alot of those were because of that rear end in a top hat robot scientist. I'm not really good at SHUMPs.

Though Cala Maria only took me 10 tries..haha.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Shindragon posted:

Pretty much this.

Also finally beat Cuphead. I died 281 times.

Alot of those were because of that rear end in a top hat robot scientist. I'm not really good at SHUMPs.

Though Cala Maria only took me 10 tries..haha.

Dr. Kahl's Robot is legit the hardest boss. I must've died two dozen times at least but it felt really good going back after beating the game and being able to A-rank it in two tries.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/SegaCDgames/status/919221183828189184

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Journey, and really surprised no one has said this yet

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like the best games take advantage of the interactivity of the medium, so you could talk all day about how games are art but if somebody is just watching an LP of SH2 or Hellblade or w/e they're not going to connect with how they deliver an experience apart from just watching a very long movie with door puzzles.

well that's why i said pokemon amie, you get the interactivity and also it's art

• Locked thread