Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The sound the seeing eye drones make is reminiscent of dolphin or bat echolocation clicks. Seems like they're supposed to give him spacial perception but don't let him see entirely the same way that someone with functional eyes would. Hence why he still wants to turn them off and grab on Harrison Ford's arm to get a better sense of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Caustic posted:

Saw it for a second time in IMAX and I can agree it's the best IMAX experience ever. The deafening sound system really adds to the immersive visual experience.

I noticed more on this viewing the many, many close-ups of hands and shots of hands. Hands held out to feel rain, snow, or virtual snow. Hands INTERLINKED and syncing in movement. Hands touching faces or close-ups of holding weapons.

My dumb layman's interpretation: Hands and touch determine what is real in a world where realness is ambiguous. Hands are useless in 2049.

I just watched this again, this time in IMAX and I think when K holds his hand out in the snow after visiting the memory bubble for the first time he doesn't have fingerprints. Did anyone else catch that or where there fingerprints?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really, really enjoyed this film, and thought it was a wonderful follow-up to a film I thought couldn't (and shouldn't!) ever have a follow-up made.

Ignoring all the very interesting and fascinating philosophical musings, I just wanna say how I couldn't help but laugh at the way Robin Wright's head bounces off the desk when Luv uses her corpse to get into the computer :sweatdrop: - it was just such an unexpected bit of physical comedy.

Can't wait to see the Godlike job that Emmanuel Lubezki does this year to troll Deakins out of another Oscar.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I guess I agree with all the people who say that JOI displays evidence of sentience. But if that's the case it's probably the most disturbing aspect of the film.

JOI is sentient. JOI is a mass-produced product. JOI has no physical agency and can only influence what happens to it by using verbal persuasion. JOI is programed (conditioned?) to 'love' whatever rear end in a top hat buys it.

Does JOI have feelings that can be hurt? Is JOI afraid of death/deactivation?

Unsure. But she definitely comprehends it, given how she dives down to K to tell him she loves him one last time.

She also absolutely displays moments of jealousy. The most obvious is her interactions with Mariette. The other is how the emitter deliberately and loudly chimes when K is talking to Mariette the first time -- that moment, to me, is the biggest indicator that JOI is more than she appears. Why on Earth would a hologram emotional surrogate AI do something like that, unless she didn't want K to split his attention?

It's not the first time in sci-fi that jealousy is used to be indicative of self-awareness either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jerusalem posted:

Can't wait to see the Godlike job that Emmanuel Lubezki does this year to troll Deakins out of another Oscar.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

(I love Lubezki too but his only film this year was Song to Song and that won't get him another one)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You gotta keep Deakins hungry, you gotta keep that fire inside burning. No Oscar for another 20 years.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

You gotta keep Deakins hungry, you gotta keep that fire inside burning. No Oscar for another 20 years.
The man is 68.

He might not be around in 20 years. Hell he might not be around in 5.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Milky Moor posted:

It's not the first time in sci-fi that jealousy is used to be indicative of self-awareness either.

Out of curiosity what are some other examples?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Unsure. But she definitely comprehends it, given how she dives down to K to tell him she loves him one last time.

She also absolutely displays moments of jealousy. The most obvious is her interactions with Mariette. The other is how the emitter deliberately and loudly chimes when K is talking to Mariette the first time -- that moment, to me, is the biggest indicator that JOI is more than she appears. Why on Earth would a hologram emotional surrogate AI do something like that, unless she didn't want K to split his attention?

Joi's interactions with Mariette are really telling. It seems like she's struggling against her own programming. Hiring Mariette is clearly something she would be programmed to do, but jealously rebuking her afterwards definitely is not. It is also something right out of a, pardon the term, "real" relationship. She also buzzes K when he's talking to Luv, though K doesn't seem to have any interest in her. The only woman she doesn't have this interaction is Joshi, iirc, even when she is propositioning K.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Displays of jealousy could also just be for K's benefit. Couples often find a certain amount of jealously from their partners comforting, making them feel more wanted. She may still be behaving how she thinks he wants her to.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

Displays of jealousy could also just be for K's benefit. Couples often find a certain amount of jealously from their partners comforting, making them feel more wanted. She may still be behaving how she thinks he wants her to.

I agree. Except for the bit with Mariette, which K isn’t around to witness.

Another small thing is that when K is asleep in Deckard’s hideout she is inspecting his water filtration system (?) seemingly for no benefit. Hell, I’d be curious to know if that was a water filtration system, but it was probably just sci-fi scenery.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Serf posted:

I agree. Except for the bit with Mariette, which K isn’t around to witness.

Another small thing is that when K is asleep in Deckard’s hideout she is inspecting his water filtration system (?) seemingly for no benefit. Hell, I’d be curious to know if that was a water filtration system, but it was probably just sci-fi scenery.

I figured it was a small makeshift protein farm, a kind of miniaturized version of Sapper's setup.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Battle Rockers posted:

Out of curiosity what are some other examples?

The big one I'm thinking of, just because I'm doing a TV/IV thread on it, is the Terminator TV series. The friendly Terminator in that series, Cameron, begins to exhibit a strange form of jealousy. The Skynet Terminator, Cromartie, also begins to value its own goals (kill the Connors) over Skynet's goals (more strategic temporal war goals) after prolonged missions. Both of them are at least somewhat self-aware.

Origami Dali posted:

This brings us back to the point of if something is that well-programmed then where exactly is the difference?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 14, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Milky Moor posted:

This brings us back to the point of if something is that well-programmed then where exactly is the difference?

Observationally, nothing. That's what makes her a good product. But phenomenologically for Joi, there may be quite a bit different from us. She may have no qualitative experience at all.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Did my second viewing in a theater where the speaker kept rattling during Zimmers score. The only way to get past it was to mentally tell myself that it was part of the music

Watched it twice in two different chains and both times the ceilings were rattling. For a moment I did wonder if the rattling was really part of the score.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

If M83 had been doing the score, it would have completed a trifecta of The Best Possible People Working On This Movie, along with Villeneuve and Deakins.

I'm sure he was probably considered at one point, but I think he's said in interviews he had such a rotten time doing the Oblivion score that he doesn't want to do a film again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Observationally, nothing. That's what makes her a good product. But phenomenologically for Joi, there may be quite a bit different from us. She may have no qualitative experience at all.

Do you know anyone around you has a qualitative experience? How do you know?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Milky Moor posted:

Do you know anyone around you has a qualitative experience? How do you know?

How do I know what, exactly? Intuitively, either I have a certain kind of qualitative experience in virtue of being a certain kind of creature capable of having it, and by extension a certain kind of qualitative experience is a distinct feature of being a creature like me, or there isn't such a thing at all. Maybe you're denying there is such a thing as qualitative experience, and that's fine, I'm skeptical of it too.

Or rather, are you being a Cartesian skeptic and, while granting me my own qualitative experience, looking for 100% absolute certainty that I know other creatures like me have such experiences? Because if so, you won't find that kind of certainty here, or in regards to any other question you could possibly ask.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

How do I know what, exactly? Intuitively, either I have a certain kind of qualitative experience in virtue of being a certain kind of creature capable of having it, and by extension a certain kind of qualitative experience is a distinct feature of being a creature like me, or there isn't such a thing at all. Maybe you're denying there is such a thing as qualitative experience, and that's fine, I'm skeptical of it too.

Or rather, are you being a Cartesian skeptic and, while granting me my own qualitative experience, looking for 100% absolute certainty that I know other creatures like me have such experiences? Because if so, you won't find that kind of certainty here, or in regards to any other question you could possibly ask.

Would it be possible to engage you in a philosophical argument that eventually refutes the nature of your existence and cause you to cease existing?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Matinee posted:

I'm sure he was probably considered at one point, but I think he's said in interviews he had such a rotten time doing the Oblivion score that he doesn't want to do a film again.

Wow really? I loved his score for Oblivion. :(

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is Luv looking at K or at Joi when she says "We hope you enjoyed our product." in Vegas?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Roumba posted:

Is Luv looking at K or at Joi when she says "We hope you enjoyed our product." in Vegas?

After seeing the film again, it looks like she's staring at Joi when she says that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Really, it could be either.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, it works so well either way I'm almost certain it's intentionally unclear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
She is 100% talking to Joi. I saw it again.

The joke is that she already said the same to K at the Wallace building.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The DGA Director's Cut interview with Denis Villeneuve is fantastic. Glad someone pointed it out.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Origami Dali posted:

Awesome to have a Heideggerian in a Blade Runner thread. The philosophical posts in this thread are rather interesting. I wonder if someone is up for a psychoanalytic treatment of the film...

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Confounding Factor posted:

Awesome to have a Heideggerian in a Blade Runner thread. The philosophical posts in this thread are rather interesting. I wonder if someone is up for a psychoanalytic treatment of the film...
That'd be grand if anyone's able.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i thought this movie was really good, but, but I did not like wallace's acting it felt way over the top

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You hire Jared Leto, you know what you're getting.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You hire Jared Leto, you know what you're getting.

It was supposed to be David Bowie, I think. Which would’ve been incredible.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I liked Wallace, he comes across as the sort of guy who likes to talk but as the only people he talks to he doesn't consider people, he's gone a little bit insane.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like the character, but the performance was the weak point in the entire film. Overacted. Javier Bardem could have made an amazing Wallace. It needed some subtlety, something Jared Leto has no respect for.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I liked how his robes turned into a suit. Sorta like a little acknowledgement his techno spiritual gimmick was just a costume to make his industrialism palatable

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2017

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Steve Yun posted:

She is 100% talking to Joi. I saw it again.

The joke is that she already said the same to K at the Wallace building.

Worst part is she's right eitherway. They're both products. That stompscene and the scene with the advert holo calling him Joe were really loving dark holy poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Worst part is she's right eitherway. They're both products. That stompscene and the scene with the advert holo calling him Joe were really loving dark holy poo poo.

If there is a silver lining, it is that in her insulting them she is calling them equals.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Wallace's eyes were basically flying dildos which I think was good characterization for him

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Sinding Johansson posted:

I liked Wallace, he comes across as the sort of guy who likes to talk but as the only people he talks to he doesn't consider people, he's gone a little bit insane.

I like that he was more robotic than his products.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i thought this movie was really good, but, but I did not like wallace's acting it felt way over the top

I didn't think it was that bad, the only scene in the whole movie that I felt was bad was when he kills the newborn replicant. I mean it was neat to see a replicant being born and I understand they needed a way to frame the exposition of Wallace's plan, but the murder was gratuitous and it's only purpose seemed to be to demonstrate to the audience, that yes, Wallace is evil, which should have been obvious already.

Also it reminded me of this scene from Lynch's Dune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

Which reminds me, I've heard Villeneuve was going to direct a new Dune adaptation, but after 2049's disappointing performance at the box office I don't know if studios would want to take the risk on Dune since it'd be expensive to make and they'll probably want to do multiple installments. Is Dune popular enough to support a profitable film franchise? Could they fill seats by pushing it as "Game of Thrones in space"?

Anyway I wonder what Ridley Scott's Dune would have been like, would he have had most the same design team that Jodorowski assembled for his version of Dune, since they went on to work on Alien?
Speaking of Jodorowski, I was thinking of how he wanted to cast Salvador Dali as the emporer and how it'd be cool if he were the emperor in a Dune movie, but he's 88 now so there's not much time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Super Fan posted:

I quite liked the Zimmer soundtrack as if set a good tone for the movie but it’s not something I’d listen to on its own

I've listened to it several times already while playing The Division, especially "Sea Wall," which plays during the climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU

"Mesa" is great too and has that Vangelis sound to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcLzUZSGT6Q

• Locked thread