Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Does she still gently caress mikhaila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jibo posted:

Female Morgan has a purse on the counter in her apartment. That's probably the biggest difference.

Toilet seat up vs. toilet seat down in Morgan's office.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I think female Morgan had a thing with Danielle Sho but I could be misremembering.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Jibo posted:

Female Morgan has a purse on the counter in her apartment. That's probably the biggest difference.

There's also some high heeled shoes in the closet instead of loafers.

Also, I think the name of the person who operates the surveillance terminal outside of Morgan's "room" changes from male/female to match your character choice in order to make things less creepy I guess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha I didn't know about the pre order safe or about the quest log, I've just been following the bubble.

:(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Hahaha I didn't know about the pre order safe or about the quest log, I've just been following the bubble.

:(
There is so, so much to explore in the station that just following the quest markers is missing a huge chunk of the game.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I just use them when I get lost or frustrated. Also gently caress the treasure map. Accidentally found the location of one of the pieces.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jibo posted:

And the toilet seat is down instead of up. Realistic. :v:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

IMJack posted:

I think female Morgan had a thing with Danielle Sho but I could be misremembering.
You are, Morgan has the attachment regardless of gender.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
There's also a can of shaving cream in the shower too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Yup

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Wamdoodle posted:

Toilet seat up vs. toilet seat down in Morgan's office.

Toilet seat was up in all my playthroughs regardless of gender.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Good to know she bi as hell.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Oh that reminds me, if you're playing a male does your assistant still use a password like "hotbossOMG!" or whatever?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i thought hotboss referred to alex yu because im also insecure in fantasy universes

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Oh that reminds me, if you're playing a male does your assistant still use a password like "hotbossOMG!" or whatever?

Yeah, but with the zero instead of the O for extra realism in passwords

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Prey is my favorite Angry & Dead Space Gay Simulator. Yeah Jason still thinks his boss is hot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Uhh... you mean lesbian?

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I may be taking a leap by accounting for both Morgan's.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
They're all Morgan-sexual. Even Morgan him/herself can hardly resist his/her own devastating beauty.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

IMJack posted:

They're all Morgan-sexual. Even Morgan him/herself can hardly resist his/her own devastating beauty.

The Morgan Yu Sex Mastery v2 neuromod was one of TranStar's best seller.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished it last night -- I blew up the station, then saved/reloaded to get some other endings (nullwave transmitter, blow up the station but escape using EP101, escape without blowing up the station). Now I want to do another run, possibly human-neuromods-only (perhaps even human neuromods only + killing everyone, since I really want to see how that plays out at the end, but I also want to see what happens if I save Dahl and give everyone a way off the station since I totally didn't do that this time.

I did find it kind of odd that escaping the station, packed full of typhon neuromods, while everyone else dies because I killed Dahl doesn't seem to change anything compared to blowing up the station and everyone in it including myself.

I'm also not sure if I want to do human mods only on Hard or Nightmare, since I found Normal a bit too easy, or if I want to dial it down to Easy and just blast through it since I won't have access to the psi powers, which I leaned on really heavily. They're just so drat fun! And Bronson Elazar didn't seem to mind me at all using them in the cargo bay, although a few people in this thread have posted that humans freak out if you use the mimic powers around them -- apparently shooting lightning out of your brain is less startling.

Between all-human/all-typhon and kill-everyone/save-dahl paths to explore, I feel like there's at least two replays left in this, but between the 3yo eating most of my gaming time and my girlfriend waving NieR: Automata at me every time I stand still I don't know if I'll have the time! Especially since I still need to play Dishonored 2.

DLC Inc posted:

it's interesting to see how people react to the ending when or if they never bothered to do the December "ending" as I feel that was what ultimately set off an alarm in my head about what was going on.

I didn't get that ending until the same session I got all the other endings in, but I predicted relatively early -- I think after reading the notes about mirror neurons in Psychotronics and coming into contact with coral in GUTS -- that we were actually a T. Anthrophantasmus implanted with Morgan's memories, after some disaster befell her that her "return to Earth" was a cover for; my wife, watching over my shoulder, independently predicted that we were in a simulation a little while later. It was pretty cool to find out at the end that we were both right.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just got to psychotronics, but took a detour to the shuttle bay, and holy loving poo poo aaaaaaaaaaaa. I jump at most of the mimics breaking their cover and I hate myself for it. I also have yet to hack anything. After trying it once, I realized it was dumb and figured I could find my way into most things without it. So far so good.

Wait, how do you get to the shuttle bay that early? I couldn't get in there until the very end of the game.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, how do you get to the shuttle bay that early? I couldn't get in there until the very end of the game.

I think it is just locked with the general access card on the door in the main lobby. So you can go there after the hardware labs stuff.

Not that there's a big reason to do so. The techno path in there is pretty rough that early in the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

I think it is just locked with the general access card on the door in the main lobby. So you can go there after the hardware labs stuff.

Not that there's a big reason to do so. The techno path in there is pretty rough that early in the game.

On my first playthrough I ended up facing down the Technopath in Neuromod Fabrication really early on thanks to foamstairing my way up to the second floor (and getting the fabrication pattern there way earlier than expected, I think). So another technopath wouldn't have been that big a deal, I think.

Another thing I just realized about the ending: despite saving Alex, he never sent me any other messages after the "thanks for saving me" message I got, not even when I activated the self destruct. Seems odd, he's so insistent that blowing up the station is the wrong thing to do up until that point. Maybe January assassinated him off screen before meeting me at the bridge?

E:my 3yo saw me noodling around in the lobby and now he's standing in Morgan's office firing nerf darts out the window and periodically getting me to fabricate more :3:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 14, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Another thing I just realized about the ending: despite saving Alex, he never sent me any other messages after the "thanks for saving me" message I got, not even when I activated the self destruct. Seems odd, he's so insistent that blowing up the station is the wrong thing to do up until that point. Maybe January assassinated him off screen before meeting me at the bridge?

Did you fabricate and place the improved nullwave bomb into the coral core? If you didn't I don't think Alex even bothers to show up on the bridge.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

Did you fabricate and place the improved nullwave bomb into the coral core? If you didn't I don't think Alex even bothers to show up on the bridge.

Yeah, I did both the nullwave bomb ending and the self destruct ending, and in both cases January shows up on the bridge, and Alex not only doesn't show up, he doesn't even send me a v-mail about how happy/disappointed he is that I'm saving/destroying the station, which seems weird.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That sounds like something glitched out then. Alex definitely should be standing next to January at the end if you pulled his unconscious body into his safe room and locked the door when you leave it

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 14, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Stun gun is definitely the best weapon in the game, no doubt about that at all.

Wait, what? I recycled all the stunguns I found because I found it completely unusable -- it takes so long to charge up a shot when you pull the trigger that by the time it actually fires, whatever you wanted to zap with it is right up in your face loving you up and you would have been better off using a shotgun.

Is this one of those weapons that's totally useless out of the box but becomes really good when upgraded?

Vakal posted:

That sounds like something glitched out then.

Disappointing. :( I'll just tell myself that January killed him off screen when I wasn't paying attention and hope it works properly next time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what? I recycled all the stunguns I found because I found it completely unusable -- it takes so long to charge up a shot when you pull the trigger that by the time it actually fires, whatever you wanted to zap with it is right up in your face loving you up and you would have been better off using a shotgun.

Is this one of those weapons that's totally useless out of the box but becomes really good when upgraded?

Fully upgraded the stun gun will kill all operators in 1-2 shot and will take out a techno path in like 3.

With recharged maxed out the shots charge up in like a second.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vakal posted:

Fully upgraded the stun gun will kill all operators in 1-2 shot and will take out a techno path in like 3.

With recharged maxed out the shots charge up in like a second.

A one-second delay between pushing the button and lightning coming out is still really long, but maybe I'll give it a shot on my no-typhon run.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also, while we are on the subject of the endings. I feel like there was going to be another ending path that was cut sometime during development.

Most people probably noticed that the January operator seems a bit "sinister" at times and the game implies that January is the one that destroys the December operator.

Then in one of that late game transcribes, a pre-memory loss Morgan explains his/her plans and introduces an operator named October as being the failsafe that will help the player in case something goes wrong.

As far as I know, October is never mentioned anywhere else in game. So I'm wondering if the original plan was for January to be revealed as a planted agent in order to ensure the station got blown up for some reason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ToxicFrog posted:

A one-second delay between pushing the button and lightning coming out is still really long, but maybe I'll give it a shot on my no-typhon run.

The stun gun is really good, you need to try it. It trivializes mimics, regular typhon, humans, and technopaths. I even use it against telepaths a lot because I often don't have a spare nullwave grenade. Every weapon in the game is good, I think the only one I'd be pretty comfortable doing without is the pistol.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

You need to treat it like a Mega Buster or any other weapon that can be charged up. You want to release the trigger when you want the lightning to come out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can also just charge it up from stealth for most things. Stun gun is definitely my mvp for weapons.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I wonder if it's possible to put Alex into his escape capsule rather than the safe room. Anyone tried that?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I beat the game. Im glad its over because it was consuming my life, meaning, it was good. I see a lot of people like the shotgun but I feel like I got way more mileage out of the 9mm. Probably because it shoots so fast and hits stuff from far away. it was like my weird sniper rifle. Once you get combat focus and all the damage multipliers though the shotgun will murder everything. the endgame is really hilarious if you're like me and made sure to craft as many neuromods as possible. started to feel like i was playing prototype.

The ending felt pretty weird and tacked on. i don't really care for the twist but i AM interested in what happened in reality...like morgan's failure, what happened to them, the way the outbreak on earth happened. i hope that stuff is the focus of some dlc.
i feel like the weighing of your decisions in the game doesn't really work in some respects because games tend to disproportionately reward morally good decisions, a lot of the time nonsensically. so a player is probably going to normally do the good thing anyway, (i never killed a video game human after dishonored because the game wouldnt let me play the final level) but also, a lot of the choices are "be a decent person" or "be a total psychopath for no reason." which, makes sense in the narrative since you're actually part of an alien species with zero empathy, but I think it would have been interesting if the game actually gave you far greater incentive to take the more self-interested paths, resulting in more people seeing an ending where alex just sees, a tiny glimmer of light in this weird alien homonculus, instead of, "oh we crafted a saint."

I like the sidequest where you had to decide whether or not to blow up the shuttle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

The ending felt pretty weird and tacked on. i don't really care for the twist but i AM interested in what happened in reality...like morgan's failure, what happened to them, the way the outbreak on earth happened. i hope that stuff is the focus of some dlc.

It didn't really feel tacked-on to me at all; there are plenty of hints throughout the game as to what's actually going on and a lot of other stuff that makes sense as pointing to that in retrospect (like all those books about "the evacuation" which I now suspect are about the Typhon invasion of Earth).

That said, I agree that I'd love to see some DLC focusing on what really happened outside the simulation.

I've also been wondering just how much of what you experience is simulated and how much is remembered events as they actually happened to Morgan. Like, for all I know Morgan died in the arboretum or something, and everything you play up until that point is "what really happened" and everything after that is the simulation.

quote:

(i never killed a video game human after dishonored because the game wouldnt let me play the final level)

Chaos in Dishonoured doesn't affect whether you can play the final mission or not, although it does affect things like number of enemies and what ending you get; if it wouldn't let you play the final level that was a bug, not a result of high chaos.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

^^^

ah, I didn't mean that it wasn't foreshadowed or anything. just that it didn't feel very fleshed out? Like, it's pretty short and just consists of the robots summarizing what you did in a very 'video gamey' way. TALLYING GOODNESS POINTS....

I feel like most of what you experienced was not what actually happened at all. there's no really need to recreate the actual outbreak for the purpose of their experiment. they just want to force a bunch of empathy tests.

i dont know what i experienced with dishonored because you're right lmfao

Vakal
May 11, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

^^^

ah, I didn't mean that it wasn't foreshadowed or anything. just that it didn't feel very fleshed out? Like, it's pretty short and just consists of the robots summarizing what you did in a very 'video gamey' way. TALLYING GOODNESS POINTS....

I feel like most of what you experienced was not what actually happened at all. there's no really need to recreate the actual outbreak for the purpose of their experiment. they just want to force a bunch of empathy tests.

i dont know what i experienced with dishonored because you're right lmfao

Unless some DLC comes out that says for sure, all we know from the ending is:

That the Typhon made it to Earth somehow. That TranStar is a real company. And that Alex exists and had a sibling named Morgan that is presumably dead.

But, Alex does repeat the same line though in the ending - "we were so focused on putting what you could do into us..." which suggests that TranStar had really done experiments with Typhon neuromods. So considering that it probably means the Typhon probably did break out of a containment lab somewhere. It's just uncertain if Talos I existed or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

I wonder if it's possible to put Alex into his escape capsule rather than the safe room. Anyone tried that?

I'm betting that just leads to the "This isn't the one" ending because I don't think there's a way to have the nullwave or self-destruct ready at that point so you're still technically escaping the station before the actual endings. And its probably not possible to move quickly enough to do everything you need to do for one option, go to the bridge, set it off, and get back to Alex. Assuming he doesn't just die as soon as you load another zone.