Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

Nothing broke this game. Conversely, nothing but starting over is going to fix it. Series has problems that almost old enough to drink.

Well I mean there are the ongoing problems with the series- it's sluggish, the AI is bad, it doesn't encourage you to work a match (indeed makes it hard to do so), etc.- but this game actually is like broken in that objects are floating around, characters get trapped in spaces they weren't supposed to go into, wrestlers phase into each other on occasion, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Last years game had an issue that seems to be still intact from videos I saw where in backstage fights the cpu would knock you groggy, wait like thirty seconds for you to wake up, and then throw you into the wall, knocking you groggy again. This would repeat until you reversed, and reversal timing for the backstage whip is awful. None of the stuff you mentioned seems all that out of place for this series and most of that was an issue last year. At least you can edit wrestler appearances now without it resetting your move-set to default like it did for a few years worth of games some time back.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhguHP1Bl4

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The sheer quantity of glitches found in watching a few hours of a pre-release stream is what stands out to me. It may not be the most glitchy of these titles as of late, but it sorta feels like every problem the series has had over the years, coming to a head.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The sheer quantity of glitches found in watching a few hours of a pre-release stream is what stands out to me. It may not be the most glitchy of these titles as of late, but it sorta feels like every problem the series has had over the years, coming to a head.

Are they all using the Day 1 patch? It's gigantic, like 5gb.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the major problem with the 2k games is how they drifted into making the wrestling more and more "realistic" which has created an incredibly bland and boring game. It's so far away from games like No Mercy and Fire Pro which are actually fun and don't have a dozen stupid grapple minigames and QTEs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Astro7x posted:

They should just have two teams doing two games that alternate each year. Do the 2K style simulation game and follow it up with an Arcade game like WWE Allstars. Each game can have DLC each year that adds new wrestlers to the roster

That would be fun

also WWE and Hogan need to patch things up already so he can be in the games again

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Credit where credit's due, the story mode this year has avoided the problem of having to grind for in-game months before getting a sniff at even the NXT title by being much more structured and rail-road-y. However, this does not excuse my first main roster feud being a loving best-of-5 series with Ziggler...

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Credit where credit's due, the story mode this year has avoided the problem of having to grind for in-game months before getting a sniff at even the NXT title by being much more structured and rail-road-y. However, this does not excuse my first main roster feud being a loving best-of-5 series with Ziggler...

That sounds exactly as soul-crushing as being new to the WWE roster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Oh, your intro to the main roster is being told "give Mark Henry a 3*+ match and put him over, kid".

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The best story mode is WM 19 where you murder people in construction sites

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It would be nice to have a wrestling game do the "career story" thing well. Like some of the old ones are okay (Day of Reckoning's is basically fine except it's mostly tag matches) but they don't give you much flexibility by necessity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The best story mode is WM 19 where you murder people in construction sites

Seriously they should just not do story mode unless this comes back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmB_FOf4aGk

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

So yeah I think watching nL continuously break 2K18 for free is gonna be way more entertaining than coughing up 60 bucks to play it myself. I love the creation stuff but that isn't worth it for me anymore. Whoever said the efforts to make the series more "realistic" have sucked all the fun out of the gameplay had it right.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 14, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ten minutes of glitches from day one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDZIHo_Nfc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
For what it's worth I think the game is pretty solid this year. You can tweak stuff so the more annoying bits are less so and the universe mode is pretty drat good. I probably should have waited for a sale though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'll probably just rent a copy in a couple weeks from Gamefly, maybe put it on my Christmas list

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also I kinda like the story mode despite it being slow at first. The whole 'company man vs crowd fave' bars is a better system to put unlocks behind than 'face vs heel' and the arenas are juuuuust the right size to not be too annoying to run around.

I am not a fan of A) everything cool being locked in loot crates and B) the loot crates having no 'preview' option when you unlock. Getting "Taunts 004" or "Boots 020" means literally nothing to me and it's a bit annoying to have to go into the menu to check what's new. At least with "Macho Man Boots" I know what those are but I'd still like to see em.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I haven't played since WWE '12; are backstage areas still segregated into their own match type or can you access them from the main arena during any no-countout match? It'd be fun to have that back from the old games, though I assume they'll never again be as insane as Smackdown 2 where you could hop onto train and ride to NYC in the middle of a match.

I see recent games at least do that split-screen thing when wrestlers wander far apart from each other, which is pretty cool.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
https://twitter.com/ShaneThorneWWE/status/919047472315498496

I changed my mind this game is good

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

So they're really doubling down on that "Authentic WWE experience huh?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
How’s this vs 2k17?

Also, anybody get it on PC? How does it run? I have a GTX 1080, so I figure I should be able to run it better than a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X on paper in at leastttt 1440p

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
It just boggles my mind how folks can spend money on this. Seriously. Answer me o thread. Why this game. Why $60+/- bucks.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

i wasnt gonna pick it up but it looks like the career mode is kindof "loving insane" in a way i'm interested in. I know the mdickie games are supposed to give you some of that, but they're unintelligible to me. If Fire Pro had a booking or career mode already I probably could've saved some money.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

It just boggles my mind how folks can spend money on this. Seriously. Answer me o thread. Why this game. Why $60+/- bucks.

that's about the going rate of 3-5 new action figures, and on this game you can play dress up dolls with around 100 rasslers + all the mary sues you can create. The gameplay is equivalent to smashing plastic toys together, so it's quite a value proposition if you think about it.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

beggar posted:

that's about the going rate of 3-5 new action figures, and on this game you can play dress up dolls with around 100 rasslers + all the mary sues you can create. The gameplay is equivalent to smashing plastic toys together, so it's quite a value proposition if you think about it.

i love physics glitches a lot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Croc posted:

Remember when we all hoped 2k taking over from yukes would make the game not broken.. And welll now here we are... Still broken.

2K didn't take over from Yuke's. It took over from THQ as the publisher. Yuke's has developed every game since the original.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

So one could have better booking than WWE?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I'm buying it because my terminally ill friend wants to play it with me. £45 is a small price to pay to have some goofy fun with him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

89 posted:

How’s this vs 2k17?

Also, anybody get it on PC? How does it run? I have a GTX 1080, so I figure I should be able to run it better than a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X on paper in at leastttt 1440p

PC isn't out until the 17th and that's what I'm getting it on. My 970 ran last couple of years just fine so if it runs at all decently it will run on what you got.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

drrockso20 posted:

I'll probably just rent a copy in a couple weeks from Gamefly, maybe put it on my Christmas list

Check your local library

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

reach42 posted:

i wasnt gonna pick it up but it looks like the career mode is kindof "loving insane" in a way i'm interested in. I know the mdickie games are supposed to give you some of that, but they're unintelligible to me. If Fire Pro had a booking or career mode already I probably could've saved some money.

I would love a career mode in Fire Pro. I'm glad that the developers are focusing on a booking mode (even if it's not very well defined by this point and so theoretical), because that would be more important to me, but it also seems you could have fun with that with this engine. Like even if they don't have the resources themselves to add a lot to this game, and they've had to focus on just making the core in-ring action work, maybe they could repurpose the engine to add stuff like that?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

thorsilver posted:

I'm buying it because my terminally ill friend wants to play it with me. £45 is a small price to pay to have some goofy fun with him.

Now THAT is a good reason. Seriously you are a good friend.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I just like brogue kicking guys. Every video game should have the running brogue kick in it. Hoping they put this in Super Mario Odyssey.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Most games have a "kick" function.* If you pretend, you can pretend it's a brogue kick! Just like buying WWE2k18 you have to pretend it's not a subpar broken mess!

*Games that do not have this "kick" function should indeed have a "kick" function enabled. Kicks for games 2018. Support this foundation today, and one day you too will be able to kick things in "Gone Home 2: Going Home Harder"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I’m buying WWE 2k18 so I can give Bobby Roode the SAnitY theme.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Most games have a "kick" function.* If you pretend, you can pretend it's a brogue kick! Just like buying WWE2k18 you have to pretend it's not a subpar broken mess!

*Games that do not have this "kick" function should indeed have a "kick" function enabled. Kicks for games 2018. Support this foundation today, and one day you too will be able to kick things in "Gone Home 2: Going Home Harder"

I would play the gently caress out of "Gone Home 2: Going Home Harder"

Also I generally support more games having a kick function. If Friday the 13th had a kick attack for counselors, everyone would be trying to kick Jason in the nuts and that would be hilarious.

As for 2k18, if I buy it it'll be on hella discount next year sometime. I don't care enough about current WWE product to want to fantasy book, and this is an even glitchier mess than last year.

I'm content with 2K17 sitting on my Xbox whenever I feel like playing it, which isn't often.

80's Mania Wrestling: Extreme 90's Edition is the only wrestling related game I'm actively playing. It's a neat little card game/booking sim.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

More than half your posts in this thread are making GBS threads on the game and complaining about people buying money for it.

My brother and I always pick up copies every year so we can play dumb matches before ppvs at each other's houses. Plus with the download content, it is a fun party game to have when you set up a Royal Rumble with Shrek, Howard Finkel and a weird Sonic monster hybrid as the final three. Yes, I know Fire Pro has creator content too, but the 2k community is alot bigger and has everything from wrestlers to wacky arenas. I play them both and get different experiences out of each.

Yeah, there are glitches, but I don't actively spend my time trying to break the game so I probably don't see them as much as other people. The 8 man matches also run like poo poo on my regular ps4, so there are definitely problems. Overall I have fun with the game (between multiplayer, setting up universe, creating content) and the amount of time I spend just doing those multiplayer matches with friends is worth paying for a new copy every year.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

I don't actively spend my time trying to break the game

nL weren't even doing this on that stream lol

"I can't believe these people are trying to break the game" I say watching 4 people horrifyingly discover on camera that whoever attempts streaming literally misses all of the action going on if they aren't in a certain person's field of view, a thing games 7+ years old understood was dumb and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Eh it is a broken terrible game that does not deserve to be rewarded with people's money. They put on a layer of wax every year to make it look superficially better but it is a rotten, glitchy mess of a game that will never get better.

That said, and I do mean this, I don't want anyone to think I am better than those that buy this mess of a game. I spend money on dumb poo poo as well for friends and I to enjoy. So you and me we are the same. We all waste our money on dumb things.

And the great thing is we get to come here and poke fun at our stupid decisions. Isn't that grand?

In summation how much do the developers for this game drink to hide the shame. Thank you and good night.