Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kild posted:

I've not played a Trails game but why do they need all this extra poo poo like hacked money and speedhacks to just be played?

Sky's combat is incredibly slow so the Turbo Mode is a godsend for it and would have easily shaved a lot of time from when I played through it.

Cold Steel is incredibly, incredibly tight with money. You will likely have money to give 4 people weapons and like 2 people armor. I'm not sure how you're supposed to afford stuff like Evergreens without cheating or abusing Warm Egg Soup (or playing NG+, I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Well the speedhacks are just a matter of speeding things up if you get bothered by animations being a bit slow and speeding through scenes on a replay.

The money thing isn't neccesary since you don't really need to outfit everyone with the best stuff available at any given moment. So that's probably more just a case of the equipment is available and you want it, so why not. Plus it is hilarious to have enough Evergreens for everyone in your party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

I've not played a Trails game but why do they need all this extra poo poo like hacked money and speedhacks to just be played?
they don't, people are just weird

well the speed thing isn't necessary but its nice, but any turn-based rpg ever made needs a turbo mode

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Kild posted:

they don't. i finished the games without those, and none of them were particularly difficult.

turbo mode would have been nice to have, though

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I absolutely never needed this much money, but I've beaten the game before so I just wanted to give myself a bonus and not care about money at all. And even then it's not like I bought any of the insane stuff like the expensive jewelry for anyone as soon as I could (or ever, actually).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the difficulty in Cold Steel would get pretty out of whack if you hacked in infinite money, the game is deliberately balanced around you being very selective of who and what gets upgraded.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i never had any problems keeping everyone upgraded. past the midpoint of the game you can just sell basically all your sepith

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
in my experience with CS1 pretty much all of the quartz the game lets you make is garbage trash compared to stuff you just find inside boxes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I think the difficulty in Cold Steel would get pretty out of whack if you hacked in infinite money, the game is deliberately balanced around you being very selective of who and what gets upgraded.
Cold Steel is pretty much always out of whack once you get past a certain point. Normal encounters are never ever a problem even on Nightmare (except the start of Nord) if you have Rean Motivate/Jusis Noble Command at the start of every fight, and we all know about Insight and Delay.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kild posted:

Yeah, this isn't really true at all. The Cold Steel games are a little tight with money but all this means in practice is you can't have everybody with top-tier gear all the time, only a couple of members of each party. Just makes you think a little more about who you'd like to buy things for and adds a slight discouragement to just grinding yourself to a level of no challenge (not that that's particularly hard). On a second playthrough it's a little annoying since you're not so concerned with balance, so many of the people on PC just hacked in a bunch of money since they'd already played the game previously.

As for the speedhacks, it's entirely personal preference. I've played every Trails game out in English without them and wasn't too bothered. It's something that bothers some more than most though, so having the option there is nice. Cold Steel 1 especially had an irritating habit of having ridiculously long establishing shots when introducing new areas or characters, so it's nice to speed things up a bit. You wouldn't necessarily consider older FFs unplayable without speedhacks since Square added them in to some of the modern releases as a nice bonus for those that wanted them, would you?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cold Steel 1 is tight with money.

Cold Steel 2 throws money at you like it's melting candy. Money is not a problem in that game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hivac posted:

in my experience with CS1 pretty much all of the quartz the game lets you make is garbage trash compared to stuff you just find inside boxes

It's worth making a few Impedes for Rean & Fie, and/or anyone else you want on the delay train. You won't find any of those.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hivac posted:

While you're not wrong, you only get one copy of the really good gems, so it's worth using some store crafted quartz to spread the love around.

This is especially true with Action 3.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you could speed up those slow camera pans with the regular old "make this cutscene go fast" button

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

smenj posted:

You wouldn't necessarily consider older FFs unplayable without speedhacks since Square added them in to some of the modern releases as a nice bonus for those that wanted them, would you?
No, but at least they'd have the excuse of being made in the 80s and 90s and I don't really hear people go 'oh thank god they added that in to make it playable' (Though I have heard people say that for 12) like I have with Trails.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You don't need the extra money at all. Speedhacks are more because it's an old JRPG from 2004 and people tend to not have the patience with them now, to the point that there's now an inbuilt turbo feature for the PC versions of the games to speed up combat animations and the like. The gameplay is okay in Trails games but generally aren't what people play them for.

I get sick of gameplay before beating a game 99% of the time, the 1% of the time is playing Legend of Heroes: Trails. Between the plot and talking to all the NPCs you get a full palate cleanse when its finally time to go on that several hour gameplay binge so its like starting a new game and its always fun. I look forward to it even.

Basically the way Trails games are setup makes them have the best gameplay in the world. Turbo mode only helps, and well lets put it this way, at the end of FC I was 50K off from having 999999 and seeing if the game lets you have 1000000. Cold steel also gives you free money if you start a new game + and choose it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kild posted:

No, but at least they'd have the excuse of being made in the 80s and 90s and I don't really hear people go 'oh thank god they added that in to make it playable' (Though I have heard people say that for 12) like I have with Trails.

Nobody is saying that. Turbo is great to have on repeat playthroughs or anywhere you've decided to go grinding or backtracking for some reason, but Trails was perfectly playable without it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The best part of trails game play is no random encounters. The other best part of trails games is ridiculous experience scaling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Really Pants posted:

Nobody is saying that. Turbo is great to have on repeat playthroughs or anywhere you've decided to go grinding or backtracking for some reason, but Trails was perfectly playable without it.

Yeah I played it like two months before Turbo was a thing and I had no issue.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i probably should've asked this before chapter 4 of cs1, but is there any benefit to hanging out with non-party members on free days?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inflammatory posted:

i probably should've asked this before chapter 4 of cs1, but is there any benefit to hanging out with non-party members on free days?

Aside from the quality of the event itself, sometimes you'll get updates to your character notes in your journal. There is a really good reward in the lategame for getting enough of those.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kild posted:

turbo absolutely made ff9 more playable, that game is slow as gently caress

tbh i think turbo is more necessary for some of the older square games because the animations get so loving drawn out, trails is just kinda sluggish. it's kind of annoying but it's only noticeable because you can't just use emulator speedup, the reason you don't hear about it with other games is cause we've been able to just hit a turbo button on those for years

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cheating is Cool and Good because it allows you to do things like this in the final chapter

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Really Pants posted:

I've definitely seen people say that. A few posts in the RPG thread too.

The Colonel posted:

turbo absolutely made ff9 more playable, that game is slow as gently caress

Well mostly for loading into the battle, yeah and some really dumb long summon animations. But again its a game made in 1999 not something released this year.

All that stuff rubs me the wrong way because its like Agarest or other games with DLC/stuff to 'skip/speedup battling'. It comes off knowing your game is flawed and then throwing in a bandaid but without the excuse that the 10gb harddrive the sourcecode was on was thrown out 20 years ago. Like I know this comes off I want people to play 'my way' but I don't know it just makes me question the actual gameplay.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kild posted:

But again its a game made in 1999 not something released this year.

Trails in the Sky was originally released in 2004

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Trails in the Sky was originally released in 2004

Cold Steel was released in 2013 and then just released in August on PC with turbo mode. Am I supposed to think that Cold Steel 2 + 3 aren't gonna also have it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah because turn based systems are by their nature slow.

They could fix it by making it real time action RPGs but at that point you are making a different game and why completely change thing when one tiny tweak fixes the problem more efficiently.

I am not even sure what your problem is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kild posted:

Cold Steel was released in 2013 and then just released in August on PC with turbo mode. Am I supposed to think that Cold Steel 2 + 3 aren't gonna also have it?

Cold Steel 2 PC will definitely have it and I almost guarantee that CS3 on PS4 will not. If CS3 also gets ported to PC, XSeed will probably add it, but that's dependent on XSeed localization it AND porting it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kild posted:

I honestly don't know how much benefit Cold Steel actually gets from Turbo mode. The combat system in that game is downright speedy already, and it always had animation skipping.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i played cold steel without turbo and it was a good game and faster than most turn-based rpgs?

I think you're just having the vapors over nothing. Like, the speed of a turn-based system is literally immaterial to the design and balance of the gameplay. So adding an option to make it go faster if someone finds it too slow literally has no impact on the game's design.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I honestly don't know how much benefit Cold Steel actually gets from Turbo mode. The combat system in that game is downright speedy already, and it always had animation skipping.

It's nice in the Nord Highlands but ultimately nothing compared to the video & loading improvements.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and the agarest war thing is literally a nonsense comparison because it actually gives free levels and lowers grinding requirements for sidequests and stuff. agarest war is a game built around grinding that offers dlc to make that grinding less painful, which sucks. cold steel is a story-based game where grinding is literally never necessary that has an optional turbo mode to make combat animations play a bit faster if you find them too slow. it's like having a meltdown because ff7 has a mode to make the atb gauge fill up faster.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh if anything the turbo mode in cold steel is just useful for auto-skipping animations so you're not hitting the start button a lot

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

King of Solomon posted:

I honestly don't know how much benefit Cold Steel actually gets from Turbo mode.

Nord.

Aside from that, I think the near-instant loading of new screens and the lack of slowdown in asset-rich areas are a much bigger game-changer than Turbo mode, especially compared to the Vita version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually the other reason the agarest war thing is nonsense is because turbo mode isn't dlc lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I went from Cold Steel 1 PC to Cold steel 2 ps3, the lack of everything the PC port brought is immediately apparent. Like suddenly running underwater.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

and the agarest war thing is literally a nonsense comparison because it actually gives free levels and lowers grinding requirements for sidequests and stuff. agarest war is a game built around grinding that offers dlc to make that grinding less painful, which sucks. cold steel is a story-based game where grinding is literally never necessary that has an optional turbo mode to make combat animations play a bit faster if you find them too slow. it's like having a meltdown because ff7 has a mode to make the atb gauge fill up faster.

Endorph posted:

actually the other reason the agarest war thing is nonsense is because turbo mode isn't dlc lol

It was more than just Agarest but that was the first game in mind but I was referring to hacking in money and turbo mode for people to get enjoyment granted the money hacker said he beat it already so w.e

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah because turn based systems are by their nature slow.

They could fix it by making it real time action RPGs but at that point you are making a different game and why completely change thing when one tiny tweak fixes the problem more efficiently.

I am not even sure what your problem is.

It's not like its JUST an option to speed up battles you literally zoom around the world map with it. And I guess cutscenes too, someone mentioned using it for that? It just rubs me the wrong way and makes me question its quality is all. It's like if they put in a turbo mode in FF13 and people were real excited about how the 10 hour tutorial is now only 3 or something and I'd just sit there going the real bad part everyone complains about is still 3 hours long?

Kild fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 14, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
That's less "the game is bad and deserves to be zoom-skipped" and more "the individual choosing to do that is pressed for time and enjoying the game in that fashion". Shouldn't rub anybody the wrong way at all.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Decus posted:

That's less "the game is bad and deserves to be zoom-skipped" and more "the individual choosing to do that is pressed for time and enjoying the game in that fashion". Shouldn't rub anybody the wrong way at all.

Well to me games are mostly about combat and poo poo so if its boring/bad/notfun/ worth adding a turbo feature to skip its like why should I play that game if I don't really play games for their story is all. So yeah I see 'its real good with the turbo feature' I think its for the first reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean. you're only going to skip cutscenes if you're replaying the game. and the only time sinky bit where you're just running around is a part of the game that received enough criticism to get fast travel markers in cs2

e; i mean it sounds like trails just isn't your bag in the first place then so i don't know why we're having this conversation at all