Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually first it's time to repost this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The CS1 school stuff is made retroactively pretty awesome by the fact that you can recruit all the best students to be part of your cool suikoden sky fortress in 2.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The old schoolhouse sucks though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Terper posted:

Actually first it's time to repost this

Is that the pointy eared girl from Ys 6?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

CS1 subverts almost every anime trope I can think of, except Machias and Jusis being madly in love and finishing each others sentences.

First, the worst offender is Alisa being mad at Rean for her falling on top of him. But really, she forgives Ream in like, less than one minute. The rest of the drama is her working up the courage to give her own apology.

Laura has her weird autistic grudge against Fie for a long while, but they make up in an incredibly heartfelt way and become amazing friends.

I mostly feel bad for Gaius, the dude has no problems that need fixing. If he wasn't the only foreigner, he could probably replace Rean as team leader.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh none of that is subverting anime tropes it's just good writing

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I assume the clear data is somewhere in here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emkeme51hpjo3bd/ys-origin-saves.7z?dl=0

If you're on Steam this goes into c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\49142020\207350\remote\

Thanks for this, I appreciate it :hfive:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Colonel posted:

tbh none of that is subverting anime tropes it's just good writing

Subverting just means I like a thing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Gaius is by far the best male character in the series.

Dude has no issues, he grew up in a stable environment that had him mature at a fast rate, and he doesnt angst about it. All he wants in life is to protect his people and his friends, in CS2 watching him start to get a bit angry towards the end is the #1 reason you know poo poo is going down. Someone also pointed out to me at one point that pissing off Gaius is the last thing you ever want to do consider the calm collected dude has Wild Rage as a craft. More so than even Rean, I'd say Class VII would fall apart without our Tanned Foreign Buddy to be everyone's Big Brother. Hes basically the Counselor for the Counselor, and its amazing. 10000/10 would have as a bro. I'm kind of sad we used Olivert on Sky since he pretty much the antithesis to Gaius and their interactions with each other as equal friends would have been the best thing ever.

Also Yeah, CS2 Suikodens better than Suikoden mostly because 1 had the entire game and tens of thousands of lines to develop all those characters you recruit. Klein is the best, and is a better character than than half the playable cast and I'm upset that hes not the first dude you can get.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Subversion is a specific narrative technique and CS1 does do it at times but usually it plays its dumb anime tropes straight but just does them better. Like Alisa falling on Rean and the consequences of such isn't a subversion because everything happens exactly in the way you expect it to, the difference is that they both realize quickly it's not that big a deal and just kind of get over it. It's just a funny story that their friends will rib on them for every so often, nothing more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

but is it a deconstruction?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having actually done Emma's bonds the 2nd time, it is by far my least favorite character for content. And it doesn't help that she's honestly kinda not important for both games. You can easily replace her role with her partner, unless something major happens with CS4.

CS3 did Gaius good.

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 13, 2017

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
They don't even get over it that quickly. They resolve it quickly relative to other series that do that, but it still takes a while.

Tae posted:

Having actually done Emma's bonds the 2nd time, it is by far my least favorite character for content. And it doesn't help that she's honestly kinda not important for both games. You can easily replace her role with her partner, unless something major happens with CS4.

CS3 did Gaius good.

I strongly disagree with this, but I'm glad to hear they did right by Gaius in CS3. I like him a lot, but they gave him nothing to do outside the Nord chapter of CS1.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 13, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My biggest problem with CS1 is the fact that the game just skips over the downtime. I know the calendar mainly exists to connect the events to Crossbell, but just nothing for an entire month is annoying. Atleast it feels like time pass there though, Tokyo Xanadu amps this problem up to 11, it'll suddenly be 2 weeks later but it feels like no time has passed at all.

On this subject it drives me a tiny bit crazy that NPCs will talk about events that happened 5 minutes ago as "yesterday" despite not having any transition scenes in Sky.

If we ever get remakes or high effort ports, I want a calendar to be added to the bracer book in Sky detailing what major events happen each day. And for Cold Steel, buddy buddy friendship scenes involving the whole class every month skip, thats just the class hanging out in the dorms as a whole or going out for leisure in groups.

Need me CS3.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Gaius might get more development in CS3!!

I'm really sad they don't do more with him, because I do like him, but he's just so bland...

I cant believe his Big Thing is... being religious. I mean you already have a boring character and then give that character the most boring trait possible?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gaius is kind of a subversion of jrpg tropes in that every other game he would be the last survivor of his people out for revenge after they all got genocided. In CS the nomads culture gets respected and they live in peace with the empire and the greatest conflict they deal with is the possibility of having to move somewhere else. Its a nice change of pace but at the same time it doesnt give Gaius anything to do

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

babypolis posted:

I cant believe his Big Thing is... being religious. I mean you already have a boring character and then give that character the most boring trait possible?

I mean, the end of SC, 3rd in its entirety and NG+ CS2 kind of show us that the endgame for religious devotion in the trailsverse is very very far from boring.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

babypolis posted:

Nah, his big thing is HEY BY THE WAY DID I MENTION I'M NOT FROM EREBONIA?!

Also the wind.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gaius is a little more interesting in CS3 to the point I'd no longer call him the most boring character in Class VII but I still don't think they do enough with him. Maybe if he reappears in future games he might be fairly interesting.

Without spoiling anything specific, as a whole I definitely prefer the new characters in CS3. They interact, have actual depth, complex feelings, friendships and arguments and personality traits which doesn't involve Rean being involved nearly as much. While Class VII had their arguments in the first two games, it always fell upon Rean to step in and try to fix things to I feel almost comical levels, while simultaneously having Rean be rather bland almost so players can self-insert when playing as him. In CS3 this doesn't really happen, Rean at most is more like a mentor figure for the new cast, he'll offer a lending ear and talk about his own experiences in relation to whatever issues the new cast have but he's no longer the center of the universe and he's no longer the sole reason everyone sticks together as a team which I like a lot better.

I actually like Rean a lot better in CS3 anyway. XSEED had to spice up his dialogues a little in the first to games to make him seem interesting because he really was rather bland and generic, easy to self insert into. He's got more of a personality in 3 with his own opinions on matters and his relationships with others are more dynamic than "lets be bros" or I want to be a harem anime protagonist and have teasing romantic gestures but not fully commit to you". To be fair that last point still happens in CS3 with some of the original cast but not nearly as often as it did.

That's a lot of words to just to say that CS3 is the best Erebonia arc game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nah his big thing is not needing Counselor Rean to fix some of his problems like the other 8 members of the main cast.

Also I'd argue being obsessed with music is the most boring of things, but this is a Falcom Game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

Also I'd argue being obsessed with music is the most boring of things

:goonsay:

Also I feel that Sky 1 showed Liberl way better than CS1 is showing the empire. There was a map and all the cities, towns and villages had character and here I'm at the last part of the game and I've seen what, 3 cities so far? A rural town, a noble town, the capital and some wildlands that technically aren't even part of the empire.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 14, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Terminally Bored posted:

Also I feel that Sky 1 showed Liberl way better than CS1 is showing the empire. There was a map and all the cities, towns and villages had character and here I'm at the last part of the game and I've seen what, 3 cities so far? A rural town, a noble town, the capital and some wildlands that technically aren't even part of the empire.

I feel sorry for Trista that it gets so heavily ignored.

But yes, CS1 and 2 mostly deal with the western half of Erebonia (it is the western half, right?) and the Nord Highlands.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Right, forgot Trista.

Is there a map of Erebonia anywhere in the game? In my item menus maybe, might've missed it? Sky had one and it was cool to see where in the country I actually am.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Maps of eastern Erebonia are all over the place in-game, mostly in train stations.

Cold Steel 3 finally gave us our full Erebonia map, but it contains some spoilers if you look at it too hard.

In other news, CS2 PC voice acting is coming along swimmingly.

Terper fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 14, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

I uh, dont know what that symbol means. Liberl is also what, 1/20th the size of Erebonia? Makes sense its harder to show it off and still have that orgasmic Narrative we've come to love. Also that Rural Town is the best town, edging out even Trista ever so slightly due to what is probably the best plot event in the entire arc. Also Dining Bar F in Erebonian Zeiss makes it beat Liberlian Roer.

Its the eastern half we play in in 1&2.
Heres the map, we got with CS3: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/kiseki/images/4/47/Erebonia_-_Map_(Sen_III).png/revision/latest?cb=20170914184743
I dont see the spoilers, but well, I actively dont believe in the concept, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Btw since we now have people actually beating CS3, please for the love of Aidios tell me its plot mandated party for atleast half the game.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

I dont see the spoilers, but well, I actively dont believe in the concept, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Regardless of what you believe, there’s endgame CS2 spoilers on there, so anybody who hasn’t finished it should think twice before opening that link.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

By the end of CS1 you've been to more cities than all of Liberl, and CS2 introduces the last major eastern erebonia city you didnt visit in-game during 1. CS3/4 Will prob handle western erebonia in a similar way. It's a difficult thing trying to balance worldbuilding and introducing every major town in in the largest country in your fictional universe when the last two arcs have focused on the two smallest ones and barely had time to fit all their towns/districts into their first games.

CS2 also opens up and lets you explore the roads between all the cities.

But just for comparison.

in Sky you get: Rolent, Bose, Ruan, Zeiss, Grancel

In CS1 you get(not including Nord which isn't in the empire): Trista, Celdic, Bareahard, Heimdallr, Legram(best town), Roer and an offscreen visit to Ymir which you get to actually visit in 2.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 14, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll have you know that the final boss of Chapter 6 on Nightmare without using any S-crafts or damage negation or Delay/Insight abuse and it ONLY took 36 minutes

:shepicide:

Terper fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 14, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Terper posted:

I'll have you know that the final boss of Chapter 6 on Nightmare without using any S-crafts or damage negation ONLY took 36 minutes

only x5.6? disgraceful.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm mostly happy Elliot managed to tank two Deadly Crosses.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

smenj posted:

Regardless of what you believe, there’s endgame CS2 spoilers on there, so anybody who hasn’t finished it should think twice before opening that link.

My main point with that was the last part, not the best person to ask about future event dislike, but someone asked for the map, so I gave it. I'd sperg about why I hate the concept, but no one wants to read that, so just remind me Kindly if I post something I shouldnt have and I'll edit it out at the earliest opportunity.

To make this a bit less focused on that, anyone else go insane in the FC to SC jump because FC has your earnings and after battle total sepith in the after battle screen while SC has your earnings and before battle total sepith? I'm not grinding but every time a battle pushes me over the quota I was thinking about I realize I had it a battle ago and it just bothers my OCD a bit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

I'll have you know that the final boss of Chapter 6 on Nightmare without using any S-crafts or damage negation or Delay/Insight abuse and it ONLY took 36 minutes

So do you actually just have to Egg Soup grind to afford actual armor for everyone?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

My main point with that was the last part, not the best person to ask about future event dislike, but someone asked for the map, so I gave it. I'd sperg about why I hate the concept, but no one wants to read that, so just remind me Kindly if I post something I shouldnt have and I'll edit it out at the earliest opportunity.

Apologies, I wasn’t meaning to sound testy - was just posting quickly from my phone once I saw your post, figured I should just get a quick warning out next to it so people wouldn’t click on the link without thinking if they were still in the middle of CS1 or 2.

To clarify, the problem with the map is (CS2 spoilers) it shows Crossbell as part of Erebonian territory, thereby revealing it gets invaded and taken over in CS2. Since that’s a pretty sudden, major endgame twist I figured people wouldn’t exactly want to stumble into it without warning.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

So do you actually just have to Egg Soup grind to afford actual armor for everyone?

Keeping Scepter on at all times will give you Sepith for days to sell. Knowing who goes where and knowing when to upgrade and when to not also helps, not to mention selling stuff you no longer need.

That said I just used Cheat Engine to give myself a ton of money at the start of the game. :v:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

smenj posted:

Apologies, I wasn’t meaning to sound testy - was just posting quickly from my phone once I saw your post, figured I should just get a quick warning out next to it so people wouldn’t click on the link without thinking if they were still in the middle of CS1 or 2.

To clarify, the problem with the map is (CS2 spoilers) it shows Crossbell as part of Erebonian territory, thereby revealing it gets invaded and taken over in CS2. Since that’s a pretty sudden, major endgame twist I figured people wouldn’t exactly want to stumble into it without warning.

No biggie, just wanted to say it here cuz I just dont think about that stuff unless its the most obvious of things like character death and I'm liable to goof. I did notice the thing after continued examination, but it took like 10 minutes.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

smenj posted:

Eh. It's only a spoiler to those who haven't played the Crossbell games itself and the games weren't exactly made with people who didn't know what was going on in Crossbell at the same time.

Hoping the fantranslation nears completion or XSEED announce a localization really soon which will make the games open up to a wider audience, it's a little frustrating because you can't even speculate on a lot of the things that happen in the Cold Steel games with others without including Crossbell spoilers into the mix.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terper posted:

Keeping Scepter on at all times will give you Sepith for days to sell. Knowing who goes where and knowing when to upgrade and when to not also helps, not to mention selling stuff you no longer need.

That said I just used Cheat Engine to give myself a ton of money at the start of the game. :v:

I've not played a Trails game but why do they need all this extra poo poo like hacked money and speedhacks to just be played?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

I've not played a Trails game but why do they need all this extra poo poo like hacked money and speedhacks to just be played?

Only the Cold Steel games do the money-starvation thing, but all of them are very long and miserably slow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kild posted:

tbh basically any jrpg would be better with a turbo button

you don't really need to hack money people just do that for insane completionist runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kild posted:

You don't need the extra money at all. Speedhacks are more because it's an old JRPG from 2004 and people tend to not have the patience with them now, to the point that there's now an inbuilt turbo feature for the PC versions of the games to speed up combat animations and the like. The gameplay is okay in Trails games but generally aren't what people play them for.