Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Alkydere posted:

Okay, going toe-to-toe with the StuG at the end was ballsy, or would have been if the StuG didn't waste its shot early like an idiot.
It was a calculated risk based on assumptions he'd be with APHE, with lag and reflexes to make him most likely hit the plank, and the plank detonating it instead of passing it though. Awesome burst of adrenaline.

Just returned from a hilariously nice five-kill few minutes of Normandy, I think this is my #1 tank for pleasure and business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Anyone have the XP-50 and still use it these days? Thinking about picking it up during the anniversary sale, there are some great custom skins for it and I could use another low tier go fast plane.

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 14, 2017

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Sard posted:

Anyone have the XP-50 and still use it these days? Thinking about picking it up during the anniversary sale, there are some great custom skins for it and I could use another low tier go fast plane.

I use it in sim ec3 occasionally and its pretty great with the exception of its cannon ammo count. I've out turned dumb zeroes in it with a high yo-yo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sard posted:

It's absolute poo poo ever since the last big patch. Climbrate is abysmal compared to before, doesn't have WEP anymore, and it overheats hard at 100% just to annoy you. It doesn't even accelerate passably well anymore which was like the only thing it had going for it except the climbrate (I guess those two are kinda related but whatever). It can't go fast since its redline speed is at 720 or so IIRC and it also sucks at keeping the speed it builds up.
From what I understand, the X5F5 from the event is basically the exact same plane so you can try that if you have it.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 14, 2017

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

GrossMurpel posted:

It's absolute poo poo ever since the last big patch. Climbrate is abysmal compared to before, doesn't have WEP anymore, and it overheats hard at 100% just to annoy you. It doesn't even accelerate passably well anymore which was like the only thing it had going for it except the climbrate (I guess those two are kinda related but whatever). It can't go fast since its redline speed is at 720 or so IIRC and it also sucks at keeping the speed it builds up.
From what I understand, the X5F5 from the event is basically the exact same plane so you can try that if you have it.

Yes, they patched the XP50 to be as bad as the X5F5 in terms of handling, but the X5F5 is still a lot worse thanks to trading those 20mm guns for cal.30 and losing more than 50% of the cal.50 ammo in the process.

The XP50 has 2x 20mm (120 rounds) and 2 x cal.50 (1000 rounds)
the X5F5 has 2 x cal.50 (400 rounds) and 2 x cal.30 (1000 rounds)

The handling itself one can try in the testflight mode, but the X5F5 is a lot worse than the XP50 thanks to its far less potent armament at almost the same BR.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Sard posted:

What's the date for that?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

spectralent posted:

30th.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

GrossMurpel posted:

Which is funny because in arcade it's a UFO that ignores gravity and momentum, but explodes if you catch a bullet. Kind of like a zero with two engines.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Alkydere posted:

Okay, going toe-to-toe with the StuG at the end was ballsy, or would have been if the StuG didn't waste its shot early like an idiot.

If you think you bait the enemy into taking a bad panic shot and it works out, props to you. Not quite the same thing, but in the IS-1 I've baited Hellcats into taking panic shots and bouncing off me instead of aiming the flat parts of my armour more than once.

spectralent posted:

Last year it was the 28th of October through the 2nd of November, with a different country's vehicles on sale (50% off) each day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MrLonghair posted:

It was a calculated risk based on assumptions he'd be with APHE, with lag and reflexes to make him most likely hit the plank, and the plank detonating it instead of passing it though. Awesome burst of adrenaline.

Just returned from a hilariously nice five-kill few minutes of Normandy, I think this is my #1 tank for pleasure and business.

One of the nice things about British Slugs is that they give no shits about terrain. It feels so good when you ruin someone's day through a brick wall or concrete fence with solid poo poo.

It's also a sign that the next 3-5 rounds will suck because how dare you have fun.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Alkydere posted:

One of the nice things about British Slugs is that they give no shits about terrain. It feels so good when you ruin someone's day through a brick wall or concrete fence with solid poo poo.

It's also a sign that the next 3-5 rounds will suck because how dare you have fun.

I watched a Youtuber do this through a small bit of ground on one of the desert maps which I had no idea was even possible. I've tried replicating it but no luck yet.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

On Snow and Desert maps there is a visual layer above the physics/collision mesh that is just used for craters and track marks.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

tanks may be bad but the M4A3E2 is good if you like getting shot all day and not taking any damage

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
fwiw my irl friend that doesn't care about vehicle history bought the Cobra King after he watched Fury and its the only tank he ever uses yet does just fine with no real knowledge of the enemy other than don't go face-to-face with a Tiger

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Thief posted:

fwiw my irl friend that doesn't care about vehicle history bought the Cobra King after he watched Fury and its the only tank he ever uses yet does just fine with no real knowledge of the enemy other than don't go face-to-face with a Tiger

The Cobra King isn't even the tank in Fury :psyduck:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

spectralent posted:

The Cobra King isn't even the tank in Fury :psyduck:

We don't have the proper Fury tank ingame anyway, I mean it's an M4A3E8 in the movie but script refers to it as an M4A3(W)75. Which is why you got that weird Tiger combat scene instead of the Tiger getting knocked out fighting 3 M4 76s under 800m.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

right but its about the closest you can get to one with a pay2grief starter pack

also to most people in the world all shermans and p51s are the exact same

i actually told him this after he bought it and he used to turn mid game all chat into a flameware practically every round

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 15, 2017

Sard
May 11, 2012

Thief posted:

doesn't care about vehicle history

(yet)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol he's the perfect bro in that he only used only used american vehicles because :patriot:

a true ambassador of our culture and values on the cyber battlefield

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
New CARB spawn points looking good

https://i.imgur.com/wVuPATD.mp4

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i assure you the Yer-2 can take off here fully loaded if you time your flaps just right

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Thief posted:

i actually told him this after he bought it and he used to turn mid game all chat into a flameware practically every round

The hero we deserve ect

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

FaustianQ posted:

We don't have the proper Fury tank ingame anyway, I mean it's an M4A3E8 in the movie but script refers to it as an M4A3(W)75. Which is why you got that weird Tiger combat scene instead of the Tiger getting knocked out fighting 3 M4 76s under 800m.

Knowing it should've been 75mm armed M4s makes this scene a bit better maybe i'll rewatch the movie now, but watching it on screen the first time really hampered my enjoyment of the movie. What was even worse was a buddy of mine who first agreed that this scene was bad, but it turns out he though it was crap because the Tiger should've had no problem taking out those three M4 mediums. :smith:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

B-57A to 7.0 :lol:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, looks like the Scorpion and UFO tank are swapping positions. Looks like the Ontos is closer than I thought.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Looks like the potez 631 will be appearing in its early, less fugly form in the heavy fighter/attacker line

also showing some french bombs

six .30s and two 20mm, should be good fun

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I haven't been paying too much attention to them these past few months, but are British tanks more fun to play yet? I got to the Comet and quit due to the lack of explosive filler being terrible.

I still take out the STRV from time to time just because I enjoy ATGMs but that's about it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Didn't high-tier British tanks get seriously nerfed since HESH was changed?

I'm working on the Comet now and I can tell you they aren't as effective as a German/Russian/American tank with explosive filler.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Type 74 got the M735 APFSDS :japan:

Oh hey, and the D4Ys took a single step towards sane tiering.

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 17, 2017

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

Looks like the potez 631 will be appearing in its early, less fugly form in the heavy fighter/attacker line

also showing some french bombs

six .30s and two 20mm, should be good fun

Sweeeet. I can only assume the Br.693 is up soon.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

jadebullet posted:

I haven't been paying too much attention to them these past few months, but are British tanks more fun to play yet? I got to the Comet and quit due to the lack of explosive filler being terrible.

I still take out the STRV from time to time just because I enjoy ATGMs but that's about it.

They become fun when you get APDS but remain so challenging as to be hardmode. If you just want to click on a tank and have it go boom you should turn around because this isn't for you, you actively need to think more about every shot you take than someone driving a T-34-85 or a Tiger. I think it's ultimately rewarding, but it's the reward of putting in the effort and surpassing an obstacle, and if you don't find joy in that you should turn around.

Solumin posted:

Didn't high-tier British tanks get seriously nerfed since HESH was changed?

HESH nerf has hit things using the L7 cannon, which is the Centurion 10 onwards. That's really not relevant at all to you if you're still on the Comet, you still have all the 17pdr and 20pdr equipped tanks to go through.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah Brit ammo (all solid shot and APCR actually) got a small buff to internal damage but it still only hurts things in a narrow cone in front of the penetration point, so quick kills still require good luck and good aim. APHE still explodes in a sphere inside the tank so you basically just need to center mass something to end its ability to fight back.

All of the brit tanks are kind of hard mode in that sense but everything past the Comet is least decently tiered for their capabilities so the grind to the Chieftains isn't totally awful. The Chieftains are also pretty solid so there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 17, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

To be honest, I've mostly given up on Britain now that I've found out how fun Germany is. I should try out America and Russia more, but those tanks never really clicked with me.

But I also feel like 5.7+ Germany is a brick wall, at least compared to how well they do in lower BRs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Solumin posted:

To be honest, I've mostly given up on Britain now that I've found out how fun Germany is. I should try out America and Russia more, but those tanks never really clicked with me.

But I also feel like 5.7+ Germany is a brick wall, at least compared to how well they do in lower BRs.

5.7 is kinda rough but its better now that the US/UK won't just delete your entire team with HVARs, so it worth trying again. I always preferred the Tiger because the Panther's have no reverse gearing until the PII, but both are okay. You deal with some of the worst pubbies in the game on your team at that tier, so that can be a downer too.

That being said, with the BR changes today 6.7 should actually be pretty okay for Germany again, and you'll get as many Leos on your teams now as you'll face T-54s, which is a big help. Before this everything between 5.3 and 8.0 as Germany just felt really terrible in comparison to US/UK or Russia.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

That's good to know. I'm halfway through researching the Tiger H1 now, actually.
It took me about a month to reach halfway on the Comet. I reached halfway on the Tiger in about 3 days.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

British tanks are only good for cranking out assists tasks.

That's the sound of my brain thinking about saving the money, instead of grabbing bundles for cheap GE during the sale.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 18, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pubbies: literally loving retarded. There's a point when not even a squad of goons on a tear can drag the team to victory:

Every single fight I got in was against multiple enemies. After the start it started to feel like the goon squad vs. the entire team who had enough spawnpoints from killing the rest of our useless team to just keep respawning so that every time I'd find one I'd end up in some firefight being chewed by 3, 4 or more tanks as I calmly do my best to 2-3 with me.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Well, guess I might come back to this game after all.

However I forgot which control allows me to look around in RB flight. And is there a way to lock my turret in place while looking around in tanks?

One of the old threads had a few great posts that talked about tweaking your control scheme. Is one of those still around?

What I gathered from the last few pages of the thread is that british tanks struggle because of their ammunition and that american tanks are good all around. Is there anythig to say about the japanese ones?
I played german/russian tanks up to tier 3 when they came out. Whats the current state of those? Still good?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, when did the M103 stop being a piece of junk and go back to being a monster? I just took mine out to start grinding the MBT-70 (after reflecting on how poor a choice the KPz-70 is because German teams will never stop being German teams). The HEATFS is terrible now, but who the gently caress cares because the AP shell is even stronger than I remember it being when the M103 was new. It just plows right through everything it meets, and at BR 7.7, that means 1.) sad Tiger IIs and 2.) no tier VI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nektu posted:

Well, guess I might come back to this game after all.

However I forgot which control allows me to look around in RB flight. And is there a way to lock my turret in place while looking around in tanks?

One of the old threads had a few great posts that talked about tweaking your control scheme. Is one of those still around?

What I gathered from the last few pages of the thread is that british tanks struggle because of their ammunition and that american tanks are good all around. Is there anythig to say about the japanese ones?
I played german/russian tanks up to tier 3 when they came out. Whats the current state of those? Still good?

The Japanese liked to put the biggest honking gun on the shittest loving tin-can they could find. They were too busy using their limited steel to build boats and plane engines, so they put all their points into "Gun". Their armor is paper thin to the point that American .50's (yanno the signature MG of the one nation they were mainly fighting) are enough to punch through their front armor until about BR 3 or so. Their engines are mediocre. Japanese designers determined that motorized traverse assistance was a decadence for filthy gaijin until late in the war. Oh and coaxial machine guns are nowhere to be seen.

But holy poo poo those guns. The early ones are a bit weak in penetration but the Japs were massive believers in APHE, especially the HE. They make the Soviets look stingy when it comes to explosive filler. The first SPG fires shells that comparable in blast the Soviet 152mm derp guns, only at BR 1.7 instead of 5.0. And unlike the Brits you don't have to grind through 3-4 incremental increases to get to "the good shell", the only ammo you'll be unlocking half the time will be a smoke shell.

What you really want to work your way to is the M24 Chaffee (still a good tank) the Chi-To (the gun can be compared to a Soviet 85mm at BR 4.7...only today they just added a new shell to research that has another 20mm or so of pen and about 20% more HE filler), followed by the goofy SDF rocket launcher.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 18, 2017