Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
At this point it just depends on what person you would show the one game to.

For FPSes? If it was something that subverted expectations and just let you have loving fun with little interruption, it would be DOOM 2016, and it really is something when some of the best games out there right now follow the formula of the past and barely loving explain anything, but have the rest of the game speak for itself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you showed somebody who didn't respect games anyway Doom 2016 they'd would just resume not liking them because of the gratuitous glory kill animations

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clearly you are all forgetting the shooter that is the true game game as art, Bioshock Infinite.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

chumbler posted:

Clearly you are all forgetting the shooter that is the true game game as art, Bioshock Infinite.

It's true.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is facade the game about being at an awkward party while the couple fights? I'd show that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

I played that for the first time earlier this year and was disappointed to see it really was as bad as I had heard. Like the combat is legitimately worse than BioShock 1.

The late 19th/early 20th century Americana aesthetic was cool but the bad combat/really really really questionable story points made me wonder where people like Cliff in that tweet were coming from.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

I played that for the first time earlier this year and was disappointed to see it really was as bad as I had heard. Like the combat is legitimately worse than BioShock 1.

The late 19th/early 20th century Americana aesthetic was cool but the bad combat/really really really questionable story points made me wonder where people like Cliff in that tweet were coming from.

it was the big new bioshock game and people loved piling on praise for bioshock and ken levine for proving that aaa games are art by writing stories that are vaguely more inspired than call of duty black ops 2

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I would show that person Heat Signature. Just hand them the controller with a concussion hammer and tell them to hit people through windows.

More serious answer though is probably the cliche answer of Spec Ops: The Line, if only cause it's the first game to come to my mind that can quickly demonstrate that games allowing for the player's participation changes or at least influences how the story is experienced. I'm sure there are other games that do it better, but the only ones I can think of would be massively long RPGs or visual novels, which are basically picture books.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kanfy posted:

It's true.

feels like I'm going to be reincarnated as an anime visual novel on steam that no one plays

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
let's not kid ourselves, roger ebert was reincarnted as huniecam studio

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

Cosmology of Kyoto

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

it was the big new bioshock game and people loved piling on praise for bioshock and ken levine for proving that aaa games are art by writing stories that are vaguely more inspired than call of duty black ops 2

The ending of Black Ops 2 where it's revealed the entire game's events were just visuals projected on the wall at an Avenged Sevenfold concert is more arty than anything in Bioshock

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive posted:

feels like I'm going to be reincarnated as an anime visual novel on steam that no one plays

I'm going to be reincarnated as Barkley 2.

e: I'm working on dying. please understand

Olive! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 14, 2017

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

The ending of Black Ops 2 is more arty than anything in Bioshock

Checks out. BlOps 2 ends with a concert, and music is definitely art.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For a total non-gamer I'd probably recommend something like Gone Home as it's a very self-contained, short experience that lets people see how a video game narrative can offer unique possibilities apart from more linear storytelling devices. There's no failure state, you can't die, you can get through it in 30 minutes or two hours and have a totally different connection to the story.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The ending of Black Ops 2 where it's revealed the entire game's events were just visuals projected on the wall at an Avenged Sevenfold concert is more arty than anything in Bioshock

Throw baseball at black ops
>Throw baseball at gamestop cashier ringing up black ops

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/919289122585501696

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/DBal/status/919284577566412801

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Little Inferno? Maybe?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This is gonna be the first of many. Probably.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would love for a Sonic game in ubiart style and the new raymans weren't too far removed from Sonic design.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The problem I have with the "games as art" question is that a lot of it would depend on the person involved. Are they actually going to be playing the game? Are they just watching? Do they have a limited amount of time to work with? There are lots of games I think have artistic merit but its hard to convince skeptical critics of this because they are so easy to dismiss a game without giving it a fair chance. There's also the problem where they may be looking for a specific kind of experience and something that qualifies as art to you may not to others.

Regardless my answer is Bloodborne because its atmosphere is insanely good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

More serious answer though is probably the cliche answer of Spec Ops: The Line, if only cause it's the first game to come to my mind that can quickly demonstrate that games allowing for the player's participation changes or at least influences how the story is experienced. I'm sure there are other games that do it better, but the only ones I can think of would be massively long RPGs or visual novels, which are basically picture books.

I finally got this one out of my backlog and it was pretty good. I managed to keep myself mostly unspoiled. I knew the story beats but not exactly how they were going to play out and it was still made an impact. There needs to be more subversion in games.

:wtf:

an actual dog posted:

This is gonna be the first of many. Probably.

Yargh, I'm not looking forward to any pushback from some of the more crappy fans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want a Sonic game that actually looks like this.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

D&D 3e book covers that look like they have badass metal hinges on them, that's what I'm thinking about today

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Playing Dark Souls 3 at the moment.

It's weird to experience a game that swings between greatness and utter tedium repeatedly. The good parts are really good but the bad parts are utterly loving terrible.

It's like a huge chunk of the game is an absolute chore but then the devs feed you a tiny bit of that traditional Souls magic so you keep playing through another lovely, uninspired area in the hope of getting another fix of the good stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Heck ya. Also Skrillex getting shot in the face and Protect the USS Barack Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4NxGbdGWk

Edit: Realtalk, Gone Home as mentioned earlier is a great example for this and I've seen it put into practice. It tells a story that has immediate social and cultural resonance and the way it tells that story echoes techniques used in other mediums but compels action in ways that other media don't

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 14, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only areas I found really miserable in DS3 were Farron Keep and Smoldering Lake. Everything else ranged between average to amazing. I'd actually say it has the most consistently good level design in the whole series, though it never reaches the peaks of either DS1 or DS2.

Farron Keep is really loving bad though.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Heck ya. Also Skrillex getting shot in the face and Protect the USS Barack Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4NxGbdGWk

Raul Menendez did nothing wrong

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I haven't played the other Dark Souls games but the Cathedral of the Deep in DS3 is one of my favorite levels in any game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
BOCEPHUS!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

The only areas I found really miserable in DS3 were Farron Keep and Smoldering Lake. Everything else ranged between average to amazing. I'd actually say it has the most consistently good level design in the whole series, though it never reaches the peaks of either DS1 or DS2.

Farron Keep is really loving bad though.

It's the bit after Farron Deep that made me quit tonight.

Farron Deep was utter shite and this new area is a maze with respawning skeletons. Whatever, i'll come back tomorrow maybe, just can not be arsed with it now. It's not even hard, it's just loving boring.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Raul Menendez did nothing wrong

Black Ops 2's plot is about the liberation of the Third World after a century of global imperialism where the bloodstained hands of the West get their comeuppance, except for the ten minutes you play as Menendez you are playing as the bad guys the entire time

Edit: The game starts with a real-life cameo from Oliver North, I have literally never been angrier at a game ever or since

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think that the main issue that has been plaguing the "video games are art" thing is the approach itself. There are lots of video games that really, really want to be like movies, to be cinematic, and feel just like an experience you'd get at a theater with a really good movie. The issue is that, no matter what happens, video games are not going to be movies. There are plenty of shades of gray where a game is movie-like or a movie is game-like but they are still two different things, just as an album/record is different from a movie, a stage show is different from a film, a book is different from a play, and a painting is different from a sculpture. I personally believe that video games can be considered artistic and worthy of artistic merit, but I also believe that it is wrong to approach them from the same angle people approach movies, music, paintings, books, and sculptures from. They are their own form of media that provides an experience entirely different from other kinds of media.

It's hard to define because it feels like it comes down to defining art by using the word art, but I personally feel that art is something that you just know. To me, art is something that can inspire meaning, inspire thought, inspire discussion, debate, and introspection. Art is subjective, however, and what one person believes can, and likely does, completely clash and contradict with another person's definition. However, even with these clashing views on what is and isn't art or what art does or does not mean, art is still viewed differently based on the form of media it takes. A pipe, a picture of a pipe, a film containing a picture of a pipe, and written text describing a picture of a pipe are all entirely separate forms of media.

Video games are different. As such, treating them from an artistic point of view (whatever that point of view happens to be) should be different from how you would approach any other medium, whether it be a movie, a book, a tv show, a silent film, a stage show, a gif, a forum post, a monologue, a poem, a sculpture, a memory, a sketch, a painting, a music, a photograph, a crucifix submerged in a container of your own piss, a tattoo, a woman shoving spaghettios up her vagina, or this stuff

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That maze shouldn’t take you longer than five minutes to fully explore

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
black ops 2 has 3 endings, which is a bigger number than the number of endings the last of us has

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
gently caress, i just looked up some CoD cutscenes on youtube and now i think i want to play their ridiculous story modes. wanna know more about cool elite hacker Karma(?)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most people who fervently strive to fight the "games are really art!" battle don't really care about ontology or aesthetics, what they really want is some kind of social validation for the medium so that the time they spend playing does not appear to the public as a waste of time.

Personally I think fighting the battle itself is a waste of time and there are more interesting things to talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BLOPSIII story is awesome.

• Locked thread