Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Moltrey posted:

that 👏 anthology 👏 anime 👏 is 👏 going 👏 to 👏 loving 👏 rule 💀💀💀💀

I really hope the "Long Story" (The Principal Post) gets adapted during one of the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The new Kino's Journey had a much better second episode, and was a great reminder Kino's personality. She can be pretty brutal sometimes.

MMO Junkie continues to be pretty adorable, so Ill stick with it for a while.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you liked episode 2 you should really watch the first series. It was 2 episodes there and they had to cut a ton of good stuff to fit it into 1.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

If you liked episode 2 you should really watch the first series. It was 2 episodes there and they had to cut a ton of good stuff to fit it into 1.

I have, which is why I said ot was a reminder of her personality. Its been a while since I watched the original though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watched more of Girls Last Tour and Just Because. Both are gorgeous and relaxing shows, but in different ways.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked the first ep of kino more because it stood better on its own rather than rushing through re-adapting something that would inevitably be compared unfavorably to the old show just for the sake of future episodes

it wasn't a bad episode but i feel like the actual adaptation side of it lost a lot of impact in rushing through some of the key points of that arc, which i'm not gonna judge because there's a good reason they did it but episode 1 did a much better job pulling me on board for what's coming next

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Second episode of Garo was pretty standard Tokusatsu stuff

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had no idea Kino had any recurring characters other than Kino and Hermes, that explains a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Second episode of Garo was pretty standard Tokusatsu stuff

I like that Sword's dumb 'thank you for your boobs' thing seems to be an in-joke with women he knows well enough to believe they'll find it funny. Guy's a lot classier and more tactful with unfamiliar women than most anime womanisers.

Given that it was created from a black guy, the Horror design this time around could have looked a little less like a demonic gollywog, but it wasn't a huge deal, just an unfortunate coincidence.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i liked the first ep of kino more because it stood better on its own rather than rushing through re-adapting something that would inevitably be compared unfavorably to the old show just for the sake of future episodes

it wasn't a bad episode but i feel like the actual adaptation side of it lost a lot of impact in rushing through some of the key points of that arc, which i'm not gonna judge because there's a good reason they did it but episode 1 did a much better job pulling me on board for what's coming next

I thought the second ep worked quite well, not having seen the old show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's fine, the stuff they left out just changes the context around it a lot and i think the original makes for a more interesting complete story

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah the original gave it more time to flesh out this country but this one was fine for just another weird place Kino visits imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway instead of talking about direct comparisons between shows here's the full op and ed for the old kino's journey because they're really good and i like posting them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsfu82kv3iE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLjT89nANvU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, it's an OVA. Been making the rounds on the torrent sites for a while. It's pretty good! Teko's friends visit and also are literally just Akari and Aika from Aria.
LOL her friends not only have the voice and mannerisms of Aika/Akari, but their SD faces from that show too.

Amanchu is so good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

LOL her friends not only have the voice and mannerisms of Aika/Akari, but their SD faces from that show too.

Amanchu is so good.

I always forget just how gorgeous the character art is until I revisit it, too. I'm always a little disappointed when they switch from the gorgeous normal designs to their funny SD faces, lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gantz was always bad.

Mayoiga stayed funny all the way through but doesn't live up to the fantastic first episode.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gantz was always bad.
Accurate

Infini-t Force is the only thing I've hit a 3rd episode for so far and I am 100% on board with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:awesome:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

March Comes In like a Lion is still wonderful and sad and happy.
Btw the old thread for it is still up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i might make a new thread because this season is gonna be good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Phos is a great main character and lol at Jade trying to wake Kongou

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Im having a hard time liking Land of the Lustrous. The low frame rate cg still really annoys me, but not nearly as much as Phos's wet blanket personality. But the world and its look is still great, and the op is amazing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phos is trying her hardest and I love her.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

At any moment the characters of Land of the Lustrous could shatter into pieces and it's a cool tension.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Phos is trying her hardest and I love her.

But Phos isn't very hard to begin with?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

Im having a hard time liking Land of the Lustrous. The low frame rate cg still really annoys me, but not nearly as much as Phos's wet blanket personality. But the world and its look is still great, and the op is amazing.

phos owns and the show would be less enjoyable to watch if they weren't a bit of a dummy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Phosphophyllite is a rare mineral composed of hydrated zinc phosphate. Its name derives from its chemical composition (phosphate) and the Greek word for "leaf", phyllon, a reference to its cleavage.

Lewd.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a show that's willing enough to dive into how hosed and depressing its setting is that i appreciate the stuff in between having a bit of levity to it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

nielsm posted:

But Phos isn't very hard to begin with?

Exactly

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So we're limp, is what you're saying.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

life in steampunk london can be dangerous

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
you know what really grinds my gears

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Land of the Lustrous: shiny unhappy people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone make the thread and call it

land of the lustrous: die hard in 3d

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

a kitten posted:

Land of the Lustrous: shiny unhappy people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

life in steampunk london can be dangerous

Is that the otome game about poison girl?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that the otome game about poison girl?

yep. with boyfriend candidates arsene lupin, dr frankenstein, van helsing, saint-germain, and some dude from a jules verne book

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

I'm not sure you actually know what a wet blanket is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

you know what really grinds my gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GBcmXRF2U

• Locked thread