Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
less petty threadshitting and more titans please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beerdeer posted:

I thought they gave all troops OS in a FAQ

It's coming in Chapter Approved but they released it early so people could start using it.

I played against that 'no codex armies!!!' guy today and it was the worst game of my life.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
My Tyranid friend has been kicking my goddamn rear end with his non-codex army even though I've had codices for my dudes and I'm fearing how powerful he's going to be in November

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

goose willis posted:

My Tyranid friend has been kicking my goddamn rear end with his non-codex army even though I've had codices for my dudes and I'm fearing how powerful he's going to be in November

I play nids. In casual games at the flgs they have been doing very well. Even against some pretty solid players.

In tournaments I get consistently wrecked.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

I played against that 'no codex armies!!!' guy today and it was the worst game of my life.

We're going to need more details.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Master Twig posted:

I play nids. In casual games at the flgs they have been doing very well. Even against some pretty solid players.

In tournaments I get consistently wrecked.

How are you playing yours because my friend uses shrike spam with a flying hive tyrant and an Old One Eye in a drop pod

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Took the plunge and picked up some Stealers today in anticipation of picking up the new Start Collecting box. I’m thinking of going for a hot pink carapace to make game store hams mad but I’m stumped as to what to paint the flesh. I guess the easy answer is a Seraphim Sepia wash over white but that seems a little boring. Any suggestions?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
We've been using the previewed chapter approved rules like first to deploy just get +1 and troops are obsec, no reason not to and the latter helps a bit when facing codex armies.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

We've been using the previewed chapter approved rules like first to deploy just get +1 and troops are obsec, no reason not to and the latter helps a bit when facing codex armies.

Link?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PantsOptional posted:

Took the plunge and picked up some Stealers today in anticipation of picking up the new Start Collecting box. I’m thinking of going for a hot pink carapace to make game store hams mad but I’m stumped as to what to paint the flesh. I guess the easy answer is a Seraphim Sepia wash over white but that seems a little boring. Any suggestions?

Liquitex Ink! does an amazing job of creating really rich, vibrant colors. I would suggest grabbing their magenta and dioxazine purple inks and trying something like that. I bet the purple would make a really nice contrast with the pink.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Picked up my first box of Grey Knight termis today. Holy poo poo they're pretty models.

Also, I found someone running the math on psycannons versus psilencers. Turns out Psilencers are better against absolutely everything softer than a land raider :allears:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PantsOptional posted:

Maybe go with a grey of some sort, perhaps a purplish tint like Daemonette Hide?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Regal Skulls Intercessors!

The last time I painted a complete squad was five years ago. Feels great.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:feelsgood:

Keep up the momentum!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Black skin with dark grey highlights will be the best contrast with the hot pink carapace.

Bonus points if you use actual fluorescent paints and make them rave Tyranids.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looking good! I'd love to see a full army come out of the Chapter Challenge :)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

You in the UK? Thought I saw you lived in Bristol.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/09/new-matched-play-rules-in-chapter-approved-aug-9gw-homepage-post-1/

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Picked up my first box of Grey Knight termis today. Holy poo poo they're pretty models.

Also, I found someone running the math on psycannons versus psilencers. Turns out Psilencers are better against absolutely everything softer than a land raider :allears:

psycannons are hot garbage now, perfect for my all-psycannon GK army

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really like that bone color you've got going.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Phyresis posted:

psycannons are hot garbage now, perfect for my all-psycannon GK army

And the only thing that swings it is the damage value, which, if I didn't know better, looks like a loving misprint.

Psycannons are Heavy 4 S7 AP-1 D1.
Psilencers are Heavy 6 S4 AP0 Dd3.

Although I suppose if you swapped the damage, Psilencers would be absolute garbage. Maybe swap the AP values too, so it'd become:

Psycannon: Heavy 4 S7 AP0 Dd3
Psilencer: Heavy 6 S4 AP-1 D1

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I really like that bone color you've got going.

It's super easy. Vallejo Bonewhite, Army Painter Soft Tone, then a drybrush of the Bonewhite followed by white.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

the most competitive GK list is diaper mecha spam and i think that's pretty much all that needs to be said about it

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Phyresis posted:

the most competitive GK list is diaper mecha spam and i think that's pretty much all that needs to be said about it

The people naming these lists always come up with the worst poo poo.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
What's a leaf blower referring to anyway?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

goose willis posted:

How are you playing yours because my friend uses shrike spam with a flying hive tyrant and an Old One Eye in a drop pod

I am using literally none of those things. The list I'm bringing to the Renegade Open is as follows.

Battalion
Malanthrope
Broodlord
Broodlord
15 Genestealers
15 Genestealers
15 Genestealers
20 termagants with devourers
Tyrannocyte with venom cannons
Ripper Swarm, 3 bases
Ripper Swarm, 3 bases

Supreme Command
Patriarch
Patriarch
Magus

Battalion
Tempestor Prime - power sword, plasma pistol
Tempestor Prime - power sword, plasma pistol
5 man Scions, 2x Plasma
5 man Scions, 2x Plasma
6 man Scions, 2x Melta

Nothing but single-wound models, or characters with fewer than 10 wounds. Was sick of all my big bugs getting taken down by a single round of fire from one other unit. So now they have to waste their lascannons on single wound models. All the scions, the termagants and the 2 patriarchs are in reserve, putting a ton of pressure right on the enemy very quickly.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What's a leaf blower referring to anyway?

in 5th ed units that were falling back couldn't consolidate if they were close to enemy units. leafblower was an IG archetype of mechanized infantry and fire support that would crack any enemy transports, force morale checks on infantry units via shooting, and then literally chase those units off the table by driving behind them with chimeras (filled with guardsmen that were plinking them with lasguns and meltaguns). It had a ton of autocannons and lascannons so most vehicles (especially transports) would just get can openered and then the leafs would get blown

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Traded in some warmachine stuff today for some AM infantry and a venerable dreadnought, might have dreadnoughts supporting my AM instead of a bunch of tanks. The predators are more point efficient but I honestly just love the dreadnought aesthetic, and I get to actually use my chapter tactic such as it is. I need to pick up a missile launcher arm for it though. So I put in some vanguard vets and a jump captain to lean more into the melee aspect of the list for the SM detachment. Could've gone with my chaplain, but since the dreads already hit on 2s then rerolling all misses is wasted on them. Either going to go Iron Resolve or Merciless Logic for the warlord trait. I'd replace all the guard missiles with lascannons but I only have the one anymore, when I sold my guard off no one wanted to buy my missile launchers. Go figure.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [42 PL, 769pts] ++

+ Uncategorised +

Regiment: Valhallan

+ HQ +

Company Commander [3 PL, 35pts]: Laspistol, Power axe

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 61pts]: Bolt pistol, Power fist, THE EMPEROR’S BENEDICTION

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 67pts]
. . 6x Guardsman
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Flamer
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Missile launcher
. . Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 62pts]
. . 6x Guardsman
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Autocannon
. . Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Militarum Tempestus Scions [3 PL, 71pts]
. . 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
. . Scion w/ Special Weapon: Hot-shot Volley Gun
. . Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. . Tempestor: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Elites +

Command Squad [2 PL, 44pts]
. . Veteran w/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

Special Weapons Squad [2 PL, 43pts]: 3x Guardsman
. . Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Demo Charge

+ Heavy Support +

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 78pts]
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon

Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts]
. . Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [10 PL, 182pts]
. . Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Storm Bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chimera [6 PL, 93pts]: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter, Storm Bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [39 PL, 731pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Iron Hands

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 96pts]: Chainsword, Jump Pack, Master-crafted boltgun, Teeth of Terra

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 126pts]: Jump Pack, Melta bombs
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword
. . Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Storm shield
. . Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power axe
. . Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 182pts]: Twin lascannon
. . Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 162pts]: Storm bolter, Twin lascannon, Two Heavy Bolters

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 15, 2017

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Phyresis posted:

in 5th ed units that were falling back couldn't consolidate if they were close to enemy units. leafblower was an IG archetype of mechanized infantry and fire support that would crack any enemy transports, force morale checks on infantry units via shooting, and then literally chase those units off the table by driving behind them with chimeras (filled with guardsmen that were plinking them with lasguns and meltaguns). It had a ton of autocannons and lascannons so most vehicles (especially transports) would just get can openered and then the leafs would get blown

Huh. In my little isolated community leaf blower was any guard list that would sit still and blow you off the table in like 2 shooting phases.

These names always get corrupted and over used. My old list that had a unit of screamers and one herald was called screamer star, or how my Grey Knight Terminator list of all normal terminators was called draigo-wing even though I had no draigo or pallies.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Played my first game of 40k today. Was pretty fun. Death guard are cool and good.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Mugaaz posted:

Played my first game of 40k today. Was pretty fun. Death guard are cool and good.

They are both of those things. Need any help figuring out what to get?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

chutche2 posted:

They are both of those things. Need any help figuring out what to get?

I think I'm good for now. I have the DI starter and traded primaris half for another DG half. I also have Mortarion and Typhus. I've finished painted the 40 poxwalkers, and am almost done with Mortarion. Still have a big a painting backlog before I pick up anything else.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I just played my first game of 40k in 7 years. I was using my friends models but 8th ED actually got me back into 40k so I bought his Orkz (to match the ones 16/17 year old me bought) to prepare a decent army in preparation for the Ork Codex (whenever that comes out since it probably won't be December). I have an idea of what I bought back in the day but since I can't get my old mini's until US Thanksgiving, specifics of the list are going to be lacking.

List of what I have (from my crap memory):

60-ish Boyz with varying weaponry
15 Nobz
6 Deffkopta's
2 AoBR Warbosses (wanna try kitbashing Mega Armor onto one)
A Big Mek w/ KFF
8 Loota's + 2 Spanna's
2 Battlewagons (one built, one partially built)
4 Storm Boyz w/ a Boss Nob (with Power Klaw)
3 Killa Kans

On Sprues:

5 Burna Boyz
5 Loota's

Other:
When I purchased my friend's Orkz, he threw in a Looted Wave Serpent he was working on that I'll turn into something, as well as a Looted Lehman Russe. I also have an old plastic model I can turn into a Warbuggy with minimal effort. I also have the metal Grumlok figurine from pre-ordering Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, with plans to make him a Weirdboy (not until I regain my bearings on conversion and modelling though).

I've got no plans on buying more stuff until the codex comes out but I was wondering what I should field in the meantime with what I have so I can stand a chance in smaller games? Looking at the 500-1000 point range. Treat me like a newbie because its been forever.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Huh. In my little isolated community leaf blower was any guard list that would sit still and blow you off the table in like 2 shooting phases.

These names always get corrupted and over used. My old list that had a unit of screamers and one herald was called screamer star, or how my Grey Knight Terminator list of all normal terminators was called draigo-wing even though I had no draigo or pallies.

Yeah leaf blower was a classic case of this. The original "leaf blower" was for 2500pts, had tons of artillery/blast markers, and literally blew opponents off the table. The thing most people think of as "leaf blower Guard" was very different from that original list and is more accurately described as mech Vets - you had tons of Vets in Chimeras with meltas, triple Vendettas, and 4-6 Hydras (the last 2 Hydras were often swapped for a Manticore). Tournaments outside of US Ard Boyz were more commonly played at 1500-1750pts at the time, and at those levels it was hard to get the overwhelming firepower that the original 2500 version relied on and still have enough other stuff in the list to survive if the couple of things which hard countered it popped up.

Raphus C posted:

You in the UK? Thought I saw you lived in Bristol.

Yep.

Liquid Communism posted:

We're going to need more details.

Oh god, there's so much of this.

Ok so we agreed a 2k game for like 12.30. I said I'm bringing Guard or Marines but probably Marines, this is apparently fine. Morning of, I remember my Redemptor Dread exists and has never actually gotten on the table. I figure this is a game which won't need it turned up to 11, so I dash off a comedy Dreadnought army with some Guard support which is fine but not great. I arrive a few minutes late and we say hello, lay out armies. He explains he normally only plays 1500 on weeknights because he doesn't get 2k finished but since it's a Saturday the bigger game was fine. This should have been a warning sign straight away, but I figure he means it might be like 3-3.5 hours rather than the 2.5 I would normally expect.

We manage to get the game basically to starting point without too much drama, except when he asks if we're playing matched play or not. I'm like uhhhhh yeah?? So he tells me he wants to play with points etc. but he doesn't like the matched play rule that stops you using the same power twice because he wants to be able to use Da Jump twice a turn. I say no, each power once a turn only, and we move on. Whatever, weird thing to bring up 5 minutes before we deploy, but there you go.

I stupidly suggest using the Maelstrom missions, and then we have to learn how they work, and no he doesn't have the cards, so cue devising a whole system for them. I'm immediately like "let's just do Eternal War" but no, he's worked it out now, it'll be fine. At this point we've been there like an hour already and not even started deploying.

Some impressions at this point - dude's a nice enough guy but kind of nerdy, and he will not stop talking, and he's one of those Ork players where they can't stop explaining to you why they play Orks. Anyone who's played multiple Ork players has met at least one of these guys. Also in a room-temperature room dude is sweating buckets and wiping it off with his MLP towel, wtf.

We finally get to deployment, I win and decide I want the other side of the table, cue mass confusion as we move everything around. Someone once advised me to always switch table sides with your opponent because it confuses them psychologically, since so many people do that whole "well, I can't be bothered moving so I'll stay here" thing so everyone expects to just deploy where they're standing. That's definitely the case here.

His first turn takes like a goddamn hour. Movement takes loving ages, then we have our first rules dispute when he jumps a mob to charge the conscripts. "Ok, they're 9" away so they need an 8 to charge." I correct him that he'll need a 9. He doesn't believe me, I explain how it works, a guy waiting for his game at the next table is like "yeah he's right" and very briefly explains again. We get the index out so he can check how the rule's written. "Well I've never played it like that and neither has anyone else I've played." I stand my ground and he kind of huffily concedes the point.

Stormboyz charge two Ironclad dreads and one end of the scripts, Boyz try to charge the other end of the scripts + a Manticore. The scripts are already locked by the Stormboyz so I can't overwatch them, and the Manticore only uses the HB because gently caress using the rockets at this point. Despite me explaining both of these rules in full now, they will come up again. The boyz charge, double 1. Ok, re-roll with 'ere we go, rolls a 6, no charge. He then picks up the 2 and starts to roll again using the stratagem and I'm like "uhh no you can't re-roll a re-roll."

We then have to go through the whole process again - explain that the rule exists, explain why "it's a different re-roll" doesn't matter, look up re-rolls in the goddamn book. He gets huffy again then comes out with this cracker: "Well, personally I prefer to play a bit more openly, but ok." Apparently my asking him to play by the rules is really harshing his enjoyment of the game. We're still only on his turn 1.

The Stormboyz kill a bunch of scripts, then bounce off the Dreads. He rolls poorly for his PK but otherwise we're bang on statistically, but apparently "my saves are really good."

My first turn is, I repeat, an hour+ into this game. I do some desultory movement but mostly I'm just setting up shooting. Pedro and the LT are sat in the middle of the Dreads for the re-roll bubble. I explain who does what and why they're all able to re-roll all this poo poo. He will not remember this at any point. I shoot his Nob squad off the board with the Dreads, take out his flier etc. The complaining about rolling starts kicking up despite being statistically average, including some awful poo poo like 2 Manticores killing like 5 Boyz. Dude is an accountant and has no grasp of probabilities.

I charge a shitload of stuff into the Stormboyz to clear them out. He wants to overwatch and can't, so once again we have to go into the depths of the rulebook. He uses the 2CP stratagem, we spend about 20 minutes on him figuring out who's attacking where, doing what etc. I should note at this point that he mentioned wrapping around before the game and how he used it to kill a Land Raider. He is in love with this single tactic and tries it constantly, including guys already in base contact ice-skating around the base which I'm pretty sure is illegal. I don't mind, but he clearly thinks it's a work of genius and can't stop explaining it. The Stormboyz whiff again, I kill them, he complains again about my "great rolling" (i.e. using my auras correctly) and how much stuff I have to kill the Stormboyz with, because committing about 2 Ironclads, 2 characters and a couple of bonus rifledreads to kill off a screening unit is apparently not meant to work.

Finally his 2. Again everything takes ages. Every decision talked over, segues into other things about other games, deciding what to do forever while making very minor moves. I think we manage to get through it without any great controversy, it just takes loving forever. I pick him up a couple of times for movement stuff, he's very keen that all his characters make combat all the time, I don't agree that he can get them in 1". Lots of shuffling of units he's already charged with to make space for them. It doesn't change anything (no overwatch to roll and it's like 45 Boyz against 5 scripts) so I let it go.

My 2. I think it's at this point that some idle game I have buzzes my phone and I realise 4 hours has passed. It may be the start of his 3, but it's somewhere in this window. Rinse and repeat my turn basically. I get some good shooting off, he whines about the re-roll bubble again, I use the Ironclads to trap one squad of Boyz from charging the Manticores.

Turn 3 is where we start getting into hairy stuff.

He tries to shoot out of combat with pistols in the trapped Boyz squad. We have to look up the rules for pistols because he's adamant he can. He can't. He wants to move (regular move, not pile in - he wants to do both) his unit of Boyz which I trapped with my Redemptor at the other end of the board, so more of them are in combat. We have to look up the rules for that too. I'm clearly not playing openly again.

The Warboss charges a Manticore. I overwatch with the rockets this time because it's about to die so gently caress it. "I thought you said you couldn't use them?" I explain no, I just haven't been because it's a waste. Instead of the normal response of "oh, ok" we have to go back and forth on this for a bit, I eventually fire them and do gently caress all. Warboss whiffs on the Manticore. We now have the stupidest dispute of the game. I go to move the Manticore through a gap and out. He insists I can't, there's not enough room, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure there is but he's adamant that in moving it I moved the terrain. Fine, I realise I can just move backwards instead, but apparently that's not ok either. He made sure I didn't have enough room. Ok, I can see how you would think that, I'll move the other Manticore first and take the -1 to hit and that'll create the room you think I need. No, he made sure, so fine if I want to count it for "my purposes" then I can but he's not counting it. I have no idea what this even means. I kill the boss off with a plasma command squad and the 2nd Manticore. Only one Manticore wound goes through, I take the remaining 3 wounds off the boss with the D3 damage. A sigh and a huff because weapon damage existing is apparently not ok.

We go on in this fashion for a couple more turns. At some point in turn 4 or so he genuinely says he was "starting to wonder about my dice" because I was rolling "so well." Not only does this ignore the multiple times I've rolled like poo poo, I've been using the same fistful of random dice all game, grabbed out of my tray 5 hours ago. I'd have to be a next-level cheater to pull off what he's suggesting. We also have my favourite spat, where he's been calling his dice "cocked" all game, typically only when the result is bad for him and usually when they're barely elevated off the table. The one time I bother doing this, he refuses to accept that the loving thing was practically on a diagonal. Cue more sighing.

End of turn 5. He has like, some grots on the table, a solo Painboy, etc. He's leading on objectives something like 16-14 (once we take off his point for Slay the Warlord he's given himself despite my warlord being on the board still) because we've kept getting the "secure objective x" ones which in our scenario either player can claim regardless of who draws it, and "x" keeps following him around the drat board. He decides he doesn't like random game length. It makes the game "significantly less enjoyable" because you can't know when the game will finish. I explain that's the whole point, but no no, it's so much worse. Also it means that games take longer and he doesn't have time for that, from a guy who's dragged this thing out to 6+ hours already. The final two turns take like 15 minutes, and they'd take less if he didn't spend 10 of them faffing in his turn 7 with three grots and whining about random game length. He's winning at the end of 5, winning at the end of 6, and then on 7 I pull off a game-clinching advance to score 3 points. He has a single runtherd on the board. He will not let this drat thing go and says "I think for future games I'm going to agree beforehand we're not doing random game length because it's so much less fun that way, you don't know when the game will finish."

Chatting about the game to me and the shop owner afterwards, he's back on the theme of how much Orks need a codex, and Boyz need to be cheaper and/or better (!!!), and the codexes make everything cheaper and better so it's clearly not fair, and he brings up random game length "eating into his life" because it extends the game, despite those two turns combined taking less time than his first movement phase.

This is loving essay length but this thing drained about 8 hours of my Saturday in total, and despite being in the lead for 6/7 turns and very nearly winning the whole thing with a single 6pt model on the board he complained about loving everything, especially anything which stopped him doing stuff he wanted to, and my very ordinary dice. Who the gently caress doesn't know about re-rolling a re-roll? Guy has stuff from 2nd ed in his army, he's not new to this thing.

I also found out later on why he was so salty about codexes - he played a CSM player who tabled him, and he keeps mentioning how good the Chaos book is. I agree it's a good book, but the owner told me before I left that the guy he played against is super casual and plays about 3 games a year, he had no idea what the gently caress he was doing never mind min/maxing the book's strengths.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Stories like that are why literally the only person I have ever played 40k with is Sulecrist.

Speaking of which-

My rough riders finally made it into close combat today!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You could have stopped at "My Little Pony Towel".

Seriously though, gently caress that guy. Learn the loving rules, quit bitching when things don't go your way, and for gently caress's sake if your an Ork player hurry the gently caress up. That's one of the reasons I am doing a Primaris army.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus, that sounds like a slog. I am bad at this game and slow as hell, but I hope I'm never -that- bad.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 15, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I have no qualms out of pulling out of a game if it goes like that.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Yeah I have no qualms out of pulling out of a game if it goes like that.

I'm a stubborn idiot and refused to let him win.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, he has a point that so far codices have tended near-exclusively to making things cheaper and making factions better. At the same time, though, a lot of Index factions are already really good. Stratagems are alternate choices that have to be weighed against the great option of a reroll, and the core of a faction (its units) tend not to change much against a unit sucks or is unusable. It's also a lovely excuse from a bad player because wow, this guy seemed to be the complete opposite of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

The Sex Cannon posted:

less petty threadshitting and more titans please

Baby Titan reporting in