Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also, I just found out today that there is a touhou game on the switch that you can buy in brick-and-mortar stores.

Huh.

I had heard about touhou finally getting an official release in the states but I hadn't heard about there being a switch game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most people who fervently strive to fight the "games are really art!" battle don't really care about ontology or aesthetics, what they really want is some kind of social validation for the medium so that the time they spend playing does not appear to the public as a waste of time.

smoke weed, read a book; art. smoke weed, watch a movie; art. smoke weed, play video games; art.

smoke weed, at a museum; prison sentence

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Most people who fervently strive to fight the "games are really art!" battle don't really care about ontology or aesthetics, what they really want is some kind of social validation for the medium so that the time they spend playing does not appear to the public as a waste of time.

Personally I think fighting the battle itself is a waste of time and there are more interesting things to talk about
Yeah instead of talking about if games are art or not, people should skip that pointless step and just talk about the drat games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spudsbuckley posted:

It's the bit after Farron Deep that made me quit tonight.

Farron Deep was utter shite and this new area is a maze with respawning skeletons. Whatever, i'll come back tomorrow maybe, just can not be arsed with it now. It's not even hard, it's just loving boring.

Yeah the entire Farron's Keep -> Catacombs of Carthus -> Smouldering Lake sequence is the shittiest part of the game. It's all uphill after that though, at least in the main game. The DLC is stupid in other ways but it's not as bad as those 2-3 areas.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

for some reason i have a really high tolerance for edibles and it drives me nuts, i have to eat like twice or three times as much as everyone i know

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The White Dragon posted:

smoke weed, read a book; art. smoke weed, watch a movie; art. smoke weed, play video games; art.

That's why you eat brownies 30 minutes before you get to the museum, art.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, I just found out today that there is a touhou game on the switch that you can buy in brick-and-mortar stores.

Huh.

I had heard about touhou finally getting an official release in the states but I hadn't heard about there being a switch game.

They're fan games and not real Touhous and none of the ones released in the west even play like them. The Switch game is closer to Virtual-On

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's why you drink a whole bottle of weed lube

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are video games art: Yes, they are a form of creative expression that makes an emotional impact on the people who view it. But what people should be asking is "so what" because what does having that knowledge actually change

The White Dragon posted:

Smoking weed in public is probably not ever going to be legal. Just smoke before you go like everyone else does

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 14, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My life

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Smoking weed in public is probably not ever going to be legal. Just smoke before you go like everyone else does

It's legal here in Seattle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yea but the downside is that you have to live in Seattle

edit: also google says no its not

edit: and google is only wrong 50% of the time

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What if Google saying its wrong only 50% of the time is one of the times its wrong?

:thunk:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep putting off games to build gunpla and man at least I'm finally carving through one of my backlogs

Here's my 1/100 Hamma Hamma snapfitted, she's a monstrosity

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

What if Google saying its wrong only 50% of the time is one of the times its wrong?

:thunk:

I dunno lemme ask

well that's not very helpful at all

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh btw CJacobs where are you in regards to TEW2 vs. RE7?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 14, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I dunno lemme ask

well that's not very helpful at all

Uhoh, I guess I'm dying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raxivace posted:

Oh btw CJacobs where are you in regards to the TEW2 vs. RE7?

They are both very good but The Evil Within 2 has stolen my heart so I gotta give it to tango gameworks on this one. Also The Evil Within 2 doesn't have millions of spiders

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If it is illegal it's not enforced and Seattle has one of the most corrupt and racist police departments in the country. They are not afraid to drop someone in broad daylight if given the opportunity. I guess they just don't care since it would be super hard to enforce.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

They are both very good but The Evil Within 2 has stolen my heart so I gotta give it to tango gameworks on this one. Also The Evil Within 2 doesn't have millions of spiders
I see. I'm still in Chapter 3 but that's kind of where I am.

It's just interesting to me that 2017 is basically bookended by these two games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Within 2 has a cat that you can't pet so I don't like that game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Speaking of which, Ubisoft has cottoned on to this and will run it to the ground like everything else they do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCnxPQJrWc&t=59s

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t see the problem here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

It DOES have a cat that gives you collectibles and helpful goodies, however, ergo it all balances out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of which, Ubisoft has cottoned on to this and will run it to the ground like everything else they do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCnxPQJrWc&t=59s

You can set hippos on fire. I guess I want to buy an Assassin's Creed game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"[The cats] join you as part of the Brotherhood and become your band of assassins' cats"

If this is true, gently caress Wolfenstein, gently caress Mario, ACO just shot up to GOTM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The next ubisoft assassin's creed game is just going to be a sequel to cats vs dogs....

e: Cats vs Dogs 3: The Assassin's Breed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would rather play the entire game as a cat roaming through Ancient Egypt than a hooded assassin dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

I would rather play the entire game as a cat roaming through Ancient Egypt than a hooded assassin dude.

Some day that hong kong cat game will come out!

some day...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When you think about it a cat is way more likely to climb up a tall tower for no reason or slowly stalk someone for 10 minutes before suddenly leaping onto their backs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
smoking weed in public here in san diego is legal, as long as i have my dr.'s note on me i can smoke a joint walking down the sidewalk, and often do

but you can't like do it on the bus, anywhere near the bus/tram stations, and in fact probably don't do it anywhere but OB or downtown unless you're white in which case it probably doesn't matter

i got stopped the other night because i "fit the description" of a home intruder, meaning, i was southeast of peachtree after midnight and not white

e: "Marijuana smoke or vapor is prohibited in non-smoking areas, or within 1000 ft of a school, daycare, or youth center when children are present. "

man 1000 ft is a long way, you could be within 1000 ft of a school and not even know it

precision fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 15, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A cat opens a loot crate, removes all the loot, jumps in crate, falls asleep

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or did it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

now that's a loot box I want to buy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Or did it?
lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish there were more games like Michigan: Report From Hell. It's neat playing a game where you are a passive observer, and the intervention idea is so good but after the opening the tutorial I've never seen it actually occur

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I wish there were more games like Michigan: Report From Hell. It's neat playing a game where you are a passive observer, and the intervention idea is so good but after the opening the tutorial I've never seen it actually occur

From what I remember it's entirely on rails and you can't effect anything

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

The true loot was the crate itself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

From what I remember it's entirely on rails and you can't effect anything

If you fail missions your reporter will die and you just move on to the next part of the story. I messed up early on and missed out on like 2 levels apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/FeihcsiimNot/status/919245573735223296

• Locked thread