Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Sagebrush posted:

One-syllable names, e.g. "Bear", "Frank" are prop-driven, while two-syllable names like "Coaler" or "Fishbed" are jet-powered. Doesn't apply to helicopters obviously.

Huh, I knew about every one of these except for this one. There's my one learn-something-new for today thing. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I wonder how often an AN-22 has been been intercepted by MiG-15s.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
As people are posting these: My first flight was with this (probably even this specific plane):

From HEL to either PFO or LCA (I was perhaps 7 at the time). Was the last flight of that plane as well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Seeing it laid out like that, it has to be intentional. Only question is, intel analyst prank or dumb CIA psy-op?

How many weapon systems have received a NATO code name in the last 60+ years? Hundreds? Thousands? If you take any list of hundreds of words and then reduce it down to a handful I bet you can come up with all kinds of lewd things.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Murgos posted:

How many weapon systems have received a NATO code name in the last 60+ years? Hundreds? Thousands? If you take any list of hundreds of words and then reduce it down to a handful I bet you can come up with all kinds of lewd things.
I was exaggerating for humor's sake, c'mon. I'm sure analysts tried to, and sometimes succeeded in, sneaking all sorts of jokes in just to relieve the monotony, and because people are like that, but not in any big conspiracy.

That being said, I'm also sure if someone had suggested using emasculating code names for Soviet hardware as a psy-op, the cold war intelligence agencies would have been all over it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

K for anti-ship missiles, because the Russians initially classified these missiles with an X, for eXperimental, but the cyrillic X is transliterated as Kh, and NATO picked that because what would an international standard be without one batshit out-of-nowhere spec that doesn't follow any of the logic

Experimental in Russian is экспериментальный, eksperimentalnij, so it makes more sense to me that they just used that K. What you describe would be a corkscrew process of taking the Russian word, translating it, taking the second letter from the translation, looking what Russian letter it sorta looked like, and then transliterating that.

Another source of confusion is that Russian Air-to-surface missiles are designated Kh-[number] in the Russian nomenclature.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/weapons/q0180.shtml

Not gonna lie I have no idea whats going on there.

e: also for some reason the Shipwreck is the P-700 and at this point I just give up

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.
Are we still doing the first flight thing? I am...

First flight (had to ask my parents) was about 2 months after I was born in December of 83 from CHS to Eugene, OR (no clue where we flew into). Probably Eastern Airlines and aircraft possibilities would include 727/737/DC-9/L1011 per my father and wikipedia and reasonable guesses.

First flight I "remember" would have been from CHS to PHX via CLT or ATL on Piedmont, Eastern, Delta, or USAir. These flight continued about every year or so until 1989 when my grandfather passed away. 737s, DC-9s, 757s. It all kind of blends together.

Most recent flight was American Airlines A319 from CLT to ORF.

Neatest flight that I recall was DFW to AMS on a Northwest Airlines DC-10 in 2003 simply because I'll almost certainly never fly on that type again. That being said, my one and only experience with a 747 (United flight from FRA to IAD.

The most surprisingly ok flight (was expecting it to be awful) I took was recently (July) on an American Airlines 757 from PHL to GLA. Handled that transatlantic flight comfortably with nobody sitting next to me in coach. 5ish hours headed to GLA and 6ish headed to PHL.

Types flown on that I specifically recall:

717, 727, 737, 747,757, 767, 777, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340, DH8-100, DH8-300, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80 types of many kind (717 included I suppose...), Cessna Grand Caravan, Sabb 340, Sabb 2000, Commander 690B (From Nasa WFF in Wallops, VA to CEU [Oconee County Regional Airport, SC]). Still no 787 or helicopters! I did come close to flying on a UH-1 in 2012 at White Sands Missle Range. I also might be able to score a C-17 flight from WSMR area to HI in the future with my work... we'll see. Airline miles and airport lounges / bars are a bit neater than the inside of a C-17, but it would be a really cool experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

First for me would have been back in the late 80s/early 90s. At the time, I wouldn't have recognized what aircraft it would have been. However it was almost certainly USAir and the flights would have been between Pittsburgh and Phoenix.

They were always narrow bodies, and I know at least one trip had fuselage mounted engines which would point to an MD-80 or some variant, but it seems like those were in very limited operation with USAir.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

First for me would have been back in the late 80s/early 90s. At the time, I wouldn't have recognized what aircraft it would have been. However it was almost certainly USAir and the flights would have been between Pittsburgh and Phoenix.

They were always narrow bodies, and I know at least one trip had fuselage mounted engines which would point to an MD-80 or some variant, but it seems like those were in very limited operation with USAir.

727 probably. Delta flew them until 2003ish. They were very common at domestic carriers through the 90s.

I flew on a lot of planes since before I can remember but what sticks in my memory is the L-1011. The cabin felt huge.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

I flew on a lot of planes since before I can remember but what sticks in my memory is the L-1011. The cabin felt huge.

Try flying on a CAT-B World Airlines charter (all economy, 70s era seats that still reeked of non-filtered cigarettes) on one for 12+ hours from PHL to TER (Lajes in the Azores) to AVB (Aviano AFB) to NSY (NAS Sigonella) - with a layover in Lajes in the middle of the night where we were lawfully forbidden from even setting foot on the airstair (making it quasi-legal to simply stick your head out to get fresh air), then ~2-3 hours on the ground in *school buses* (without A/C) in the middle of an Italian August because the plane needed to refuel, and for some reason they didn't think it was a great idea to let some of us go to the base PX to kill time.

It kinda colored my opinion of L-1011s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There is a small and not very detailed article on CBC about the St. Helena airport and commercial flights.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/st-helena-hopes-to-shed-world-s-most-useless-airport-nickname-with-1st-commercial-flight-1.4351618

quote:

The new flights will be on a smaller 98-seater plane that is able to land on both ends of the runway. In order to do that though, only 76 people will be able to be on board.
Anyone know they are using for the flights?

e: Appears to be an E190 from what I can find

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 14, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How did Maverick end up in the Air Force!?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't stop staring at his teeth :stare:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

I have never flown on a 747. My first flight was on a Continental 727 in 1973 just like this

I flew on an IL 62 ten years ago and thought it was pretty quiet and comfortable.

Strictly speaking, the plane you flew on in 1973 had a black meatball. The red logo didn't come along until the Texas International merger and Frank Lorenzo's fuckery.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

I can't stop staring at his teeth :stare:

That 'man' is the progeny of Maverick and Iceman slashfic circulated on early BBSes in the late 80s and early 90s. He was of no woman born - he was willed into being.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

vessbot posted:

We routinely take kids into the cockpit and give plastic wings. Only at the gate though.
Do you accept manchildren? :pray:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Only on special occasions, like this was for memorial day when they had docents hosting aircraft tours. But they've got extra lighting installed for tours so it obviously wasn't a one time thing.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

block51 posted:

Are we still doing the first flight thing? I am...

First flight (had to ask my parents) was about 2 months after I was born in December of 83 from CHS to Eugene, OR (no clue where we flew into). Probably Eastern Airlines and aircraft possibilities would include 727/737/DC-9/L1011 per my father and wikipedia and reasonable guesses.

First flight I "remember" would have been from CHS to PHX via CLT or ATL on Piedmont, Eastern, Delta, or USAir. These flight continued about every year or so until 1989 when my grandfather passed away. 737s, DC-9s, 757s. It all kind of blends together.

Most recent flight was American Airlines A319 from CLT to ORF.

Neatest flight that I recall was DFW to AMS on a Northwest Airlines DC-10 in 2003 simply because I'll almost certainly never fly on that type again. That being said, my one and only experience with a 747 (United flight from FRA to IAD.

The most surprisingly ok flight (was expecting it to be awful) I took was recently (July) on an American Airlines 757 from PHL to GLA. Handled that transatlantic flight comfortably with nobody sitting next to me in coach. 5ish hours headed to GLA and 6ish headed to PHL.

Types flown on that I specifically recall:

717, 727, 737, 747,757, 767, 777, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340, DH8-100, DH8-300, DC-9, DC-10, MD-80 types of many kind (717 included I suppose...), Cessna Grand Caravan, Sabb 340, Sabb 2000, Commander 690B (From Nasa WFF in Wallops, VA to CEU [Oconee County Regional Airport, SC]). Still no 787 or helicopters! I did come close to flying on a UH-1 in 2012 at White Sands Missle Range. I also might be able to score a C-17 flight from WSMR area to HI in the future with my work... we'll see. Airline miles and airport lounges / bars are a bit neater than the inside of a C-17, but it would be a really cool experience.

That’s really cool bro do you like trains?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vessbot posted:

We routinely take kids into the cockpit and give plastic wings. Only at the gate though.

Until one of those kids Googles how to key 7500 into the transponder.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Arson Daily posted:

That’s really cool bro do you like trains?
Don't be a jerk. It might be a little sperg but it's a plane thread man.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My buddies and I got plastic wings from a fight attendant lady on a Southwest flight in like 1996 when we were in our twenties

Southwest was cool - not sure if they still are

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Keith Atherton posted:

My buddies and I got plastic wings from a fight attendant lady on a Southwest flight in like 1996 when we were in our twenties

Cooler than the bigger ones, maybe not THAT cool.

My first flight, more recent (2006) but the airline is dead and gone nonetheless:

747 is big, I was on the third or fourth floor:

Then I got on a 737 in the modern way and continued to my destination. I was in an aisle seat on that one, so no photos.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I fly in 737s a lot because they go almost anywhere I need to go direct :-)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Keith Atherton posted:

I have a whole bag of wings from Eastern (the best defunct airline). They're all over eBay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Man first broke the sound barrier on 14 October 1947, seventy years ago today.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a whole bag of wings from Eastern (the best defunct airline). They're all over eBay.

PanAm memorabilia is also highly prized.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

PanAm memorabilia is also highly prized.

It’s funny watching older science fiction or future stuff when it was inconceivable that Pan Am couldn’t exist in the future.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

inconceivable

As an aside, seeing that in a movie theater tomorrow

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s funny watching older science fiction or future stuff when it was inconceivable that Pan Am couldn’t exist in the future.

I really liked that the new blade runner kept pan-am around (since it was still around in 2019 in the original). Was a nice touch.

Ditto with Atari.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

I really liked that the new blade runner kept pan-am around (since it was still around in 2019 in the original). Was a nice touch.

Ditto with Atari.

And the cccp. It's a future version of that future after all, not today's future.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Despair posted:

Ditto with Atari.

Was TDK in there too?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mr. Despair posted:

Pan Am still exists, a railroad bought the trademarks/logo rights when the airline folded.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Pan Am still exists, a railroad bought the trademarks/logo rights when the airline folded.

That got me to thinking - how many airlines have also had another corporate function? Off the top of my head - EVA Air is closely related (same parent?) to the ocean shipping company Evergreen. Similarly, Hapag-Lloyd used to run an airline as well. Canadian Pacific (which I think was posted a couple pages ago) is more commonly known as a railroad.

Any others?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delivery McGee posted:

Additionally, there’s a charter operation using their colors, operating a couple 737s out of MIA.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

kathmandu posted:

That got me to thinking - how many airlines have also had another corporate function? Off the top of my head - EVA Air is closely related (same parent?) to the ocean shipping company Evergreen. Similarly, Hapag-Lloyd used to run an airline as well. Canadian Pacific (which I think was posted a couple pages ago) is more commonly known as a railroad.

Any others?

Maersk Air was a thing for a bit. Color Air, subsidiary of Color Lines (Norwegian cruiseferry line) as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Additionally, there’s a charter operation using their colors, operating a couple 737s out of MIA.

Good god, those mirror-shined wings... :swoon:

Imagine following that guy in on a parallel track with a slight trail, with sun glare.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kathmandu posted:

Any others?

There's the tour company charters that all run their own airline to feed their resorts - Sunwing, TUI, Thomas Cook, etc.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

kathmandu posted:

Any others?

Asiana is actually a part of the Kumho Asiana Group, which also controls a large construction company and Kumho tires as part of their holdings.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I came across this fantastic RCAF (or I guess CFAC, now) patch

:canada:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Can’t dig up a picture on mobile, but one of the earliest flights I remember was on an ATA L-1011. I’d have to ask my parents where they took me as a baby, I think there was an early Air India trip, so probably a 747, I’d imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

Wow, they somehow managed to make THAT iconic logo ugly.

Edit: who was the designer on the original version of that logo?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 15, 2017