Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
What aside from my GI Bill should I be using as a vet? I'm going to community college right now, with the intention transferring to a university. I'm interested in Biology, but I haven't pinned it down to a specific interest yet, although I'm leaning toward genetics/botany. Are there any scholarships I should look into that are for veterans specifically?

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

RobotDogPolice posted:

What aside from my GI Bill should I be using as a vet? I'm going to community college right now, with the intention transferring to a university. I'm interested in Biology, but I haven't pinned it down to a specific interest yet, although I'm leaning toward genetics/botany. Are there any scholarships I should look into that are for veterans specifically?

Pell Grant first off. Fill out a FAFSA and get a couple Grand a year for incidentals and the like

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Get on Voc Rehab cause it is seriously the poo poo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Grem posted:

Get on Voc Rehab cause it is seriously the poo poo.

A million times this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Had a meeting with a CFO yesterday about a research project we are working on. There are three of us doing this with a professor helping us.

The professor drove the three of us out to the business. When we got back to campus, she pulled off to the side of the parking lot area a little bit to let us out. I was in the front seat. When I am getting out I hear a loud as gently caress collision.

Dude in the back seat, driver's side, opened his door into an oncoming car.

I didn't know whether to feel bad or just laugh my rear end off on the spot.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

RobotDogPolice posted:

Check and see if your CC has science scholarships for veterans. The CC I was at had one that had 20 $1k awards but only four or five people actually applied per year.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free. UNLESS you reaallllly reallllly like academia and research and want your names on white papers.

The way I see it, the later you enter the workforce the less lifetime earning you make, that could be the difference of having an airplane or sailboat when you retire.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 13, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free.

The way I see it, the later you enter the workforce the less lifetime earning you make, that could be the difference of having an airplane or sailboat when you retire.

Jobs that pay for a masters+ aren't exactly common though.

Like many things it depends on your industry.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Jobs that pay for a masters+ aren't exactly common though.

Like many things it depends on your industry.

That's true, I know in engineering at least every organization I have worked with encourages you to pursue higher education on their dime.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

That's true, I know in engineering at least every organization I have worked with encourages you to pursue higher education on their dime.

In consulting you usually get either a chunk of change via tuition assistance (~5k/yr) or if the stars align there's a special deal for a specific school and specific degree you can get for cheap-ish. Like 50k from a really good private school cheap-ish, as opposed to the going rate of almost double.

Though at least for the most part the job market has improved to the point where you don't absolutely have to get a masters to get a decent white collar job. It most assuredly helps, but it's not like it was 5 years ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I can get the gi bill or voc rehab to pay for a masters why wouldn't I

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Justin Tyme posted:

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free. UNLESS you reaallllly reallllly like academia and research and want your names on white papers.

What if I just want to save up for a VR pod so that I can live in the matrix?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't have this option and am taking 2 years off for it. Thinking about the lost wages combined with the cost puts this at around 300-400k for me but on the other hand I am learning and seeing how things have changed in the last 10 years and see this as being a necessary choice.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Come work in pharma. They pay for postgrad and you get to publish. But get a job in R&D and not those other, lesser departments of pharma.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Research is so boring and is the worst. I did a year of research at HUP in Philly and at the end right when we submitted our manuscript a bunch of papers came out that the scale we had been using to gauge prior risk and outcomes was useless bullshit and our whole project got gutted. I spent months doing data analysis and all that data work got chopped on edits because it all relied on that scale, so my name got chopped from the manuscript and I didn't get a publication out of a year of work and I was like "welp gently caress research forever it sucks." That's why I'm hoping to match to an ER residency, ER people don't give a poo poo if you research.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

TheQuietWilds posted:

Research is so boring and is the worst. I did a year of research at HUP in Philly and at the end right when we submitted our manuscript a bunch of papers came out that the scale we had been using to gauge prior risk and outcomes was useless bullshit and our whole project got gutted. I spent months doing data analysis and all that data work got chopped on edits because it all relied on that scale, so my name got chopped from the manuscript and I didn't get a publication out of a year of work and I was like "welp gently caress research forever it sucks." That's why I'm hoping to match to an ER residency, ER people don't give a poo poo if you research.

Suck somebody's dick and get an EM residency at Shock Trauma.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Suck somebody's dick and get an EM residency at Shock Trauma.

You show me the right dick, I’ll know what to do

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
How much does a master's from a public university typically cost?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

TheQuietWilds posted:

You show me the right dick, I’ll know what to do

Let you know when I find out. I've got some pie in the sky ideas about the Hopkins PA EM residency, but even that's getting well ahead of myself before I even start applying to PA programs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Woof Blitzer posted:

in my research for schools to go to, an accounting masters can be anywhere from $10k to $30k depending on your residency status. but it's only a 30 hour program and some are longer.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

in my research for schools to go to, an accounting masters can be anywhere from $10k to $30k depending on your residency status. but it's only a 30 hour program and some are longer.

Cool cause I know my whole bachelors will be covered by the VA but I probably will only have 1 year GI bill left when I finish school

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Voc rehab?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I looked at a cal state where it's ~6k/qtr depending on if you are in a business program or not and Colorado School of Mines where it was somewhere under 30k for two semesters with out of state. So somewhere around 20-25k for one with in state tuition in CA. About the same if you have in state tuition in CO.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Georgia Tech's OMSCS program im in is roughly 850 dollars a semester, with 30 required hours to graduate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think my 36-credit master's degree in a state university in CT ran me 30k after veteran's discounts (not benefits, but a state discount) which isn't too horrible.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Can anyone recommend how and when to attack that 4th year of school (voc rehab wise) before by GI bill runs out, I have about ~12 months left but of course, that doesnt cover the last 12 months. I was told to not run "out" my CH33 and also with an honorable and 80% rating should qualify for Voc Rehab for that last year? Been enrolled and just finished my two year degree, started my BAS this fall.

True/False/Go gently caress yourself?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Very true. At 20% va disability you are entitled to chap 31 benefits and just need to apply to get an extra 12 months and potential extension to get the education of your choice that leads to eventual employment

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Along those lines, how does Voc Rehab work in regards to the 48 month total benefit cap? I've got 15 months or so of Post 9/11 remaining which is more than enough to finish undergrad, but when that's exhausted I'll be at the 48 month total as I used the reserve GI Bill for a few years prior to Post 9/11 eligibility.

Say I get approved to do a Masters with Voc Rehab, will I be allowed to finish that regardless of the benefit cap or am I on my own after the first year (my remaining Post 9/11 should get me through at least the first year of grad school) of a graduate program?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

DoktorLoken posted:

Along those lines, how does Voc Rehab work in regards to the 48 month total benefit cap? I've got 15 months or so of Post 9/11 remaining which is more than enough to finish undergrad, but when that's exhausted I'll be at the 48 month total as I used the reserve GI Bill for a few years prior to Post 9/11 eligibility.

Say I get approved to do a Masters with Voc Rehab, will I be allowed to finish that regardless of the benefit cap or am I on my own after the first year (my remaining Post 9/11 should get me through at least the first year of grad school) of a graduate program?

Some people have reported that their reps claim they still can use those benefits, but my rep explained that the 48 month thing is a hard cap with a possibility of an extension. So as it was explained to me you can't use the entirety of your benefits in series past 48 months without a specific approval

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think as long as you can prove that you need a masters to be competitive, it will happen. It means doing some homework like finding job listings requiring such but pretty much if you can prove that you need it for school, VocRehab will do it.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I have no idea what to do but other than apply online and ill ask my local VA office, theres been no issue, and with a year left and showing I finished my two year and am finishing my BAS, with 80% I think it should be fine but ill try to not wait until the last minute.

Is Voc Rehab the way to go here I am talking about the right thing, right guys lol?

ch 31 = voc rehab? Also at what period in this last year should I apply for that extra 12 months? Online?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Very true. At 20% va disability you are entitled to chap 31 benefits and just need to apply to get an extra 12 months and potential extension to get the education of your choice that leads to eventual employment
Does it matter at what period in my last 12 months I should apply? Or is this something I can do now and it just gets capped from 36 to 48?

all apologies fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 16, 2017

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

all apologies posted:

I have no idea what to do but other than apply online and ill ask my local VA office, theres been no issue, and with a year left and showing I finished my two year and am finishing my BAS, with 80% I think it should be fine but ill try to not wait until the last minute.

Is Voc Rehab the way to go here I am talking about the right thing, right guys lol?

ch 31 = voc rehab? Also at what period in this last year should I apply for that extra 12 months? Online?

Does it matter at what period in my last 12 months I should apply? Or is this something I can do now and it just gets capped from 36 to 48?

You should apply as soon as possible, there was a recent change to the way the 9/11 bill is applied, and you no longer use up your 9/11 benefits while you are on Chap. 31 Voc. Rehab.
This is particularly nice, because not only do you get the 12 month extension from the chap 31, you will still have the remaining post 9/11 time afterwards.

Source: me, since I just recently discovered I have an additional 10 months of benefits I get to transfer to my wife now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Motherfucking useless loving cocksucking dumbass teenagers can't even show up for a goddamn presentation to the entire business/econ department faculty on time forcing us to start without him and do his part that none of us are loving fluent in so we all look like dipshits

gently caress I hate group projects.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

ReverendCode posted:

You should apply as soon as possible, there was a recent change to the way the 9/11 bill is applied, and you no longer use up your 9/11 benefits while you are on Chap. 31 Voc. Rehab.
This is particularly nice, because not only do you get the 12 month extension from the chap 31, you will still have the remaining post 9/11 time afterwards.

Source: me, since I just recently discovered I have an additional 10 months of benefits I get to transfer to my wife now.

Oh okay, I just wanted to make sure I wouldnt lose the time I have left towards just a 12 month extension.,..if that makes sense. Did you apply online to start?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The ROTC kid in one of my groups got way too excited when our machine shop instructor told us to turn around by saying 'about face'

I'm also in 3 group projects this term :negative:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Motherfucking useless loving cocksucking dumbass teenagers can't even show up for a goddamn presentation to the entire business/econ department faculty on time forcing us to start without him and do his part that none of us are loving fluent in so we all look like dipshits

I would have just dropped his part. However vital. Professor should be professional enough not to grade you for something that person was responsible for.

But yeah. gently caress group projects.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Whenever I have group projects I tend to just do it all myself, gently caress letting some stupid kid be responsible for my own grade. Though recently I have had projects with some friends who I trust so it's been nice sharing the workload.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would do it all myself but this is a group project for a competition we are doing in early November in Canada, where we present our topic to a room full of people. We were presenting to the faculty today so that we could get feedback. At this point I have no choice but to do it with three other people, because the competition is required for all four of us. And the pitch is due to the committee this Wednesday.

There's a $2500 prize on the line, and god drat it I want to at the very least make it to the finals.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

all apologies posted:

Oh okay, I just wanted to make sure I wouldnt lose the time I have left towards just a 12 month extension.,..if that makes sense. Did you apply online to start?

Apply online as soon as possible to get the ball rolling. You'll then be contacted by the VA and they will setup a meeting for you with a voc rehab counselor. You and the counselor will then put together a plan to rehabilitate you so that you can re-enter the workforce. Alternatively you can put together a plan by yourself and then give it to the counselor as soon as they contact you to greatly speed up the process.

You can learn more about the actual Voc Rehab guidelines and regs here if you like:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M28R.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

This post almost gave me loving flashbacks.

Then I remembered I'm out.

gently caress you if you're still in college :smug: