Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It means it's needlessly dark. Over the top to the point of being silly.

Like Fargo is dark. But a Barney live action film that's about a mutant killer dinosaur, played straight, that would be grimdark.

At least that's how I always understood it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's not like the New Mutants comic book is any stranger to trippy horror/psychedelic imagery

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah New Mutants was shock full of psychedelic and supernatural stuff. Ilyana even became a literal sorceress.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 14, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It means it's needlessly dark. Over the top to the point of being silly.

Like Fargo is dark. But a Barney live action film that's about a mutant killer dinosaur, played straight, that would be grimdark.

At least that's how I always understood it.

That second one sounds awesome tho

I always thought it was dark as a matter of being "mature" but in the way an adolescent boy would think is grown up and "deep" because life is poo poo and the good guys don't always win. Like needless gore and depressing crap happening etc.

I think it has its uses but a lot of times it gets overused to bash movies with the slightest bit of pathos. Like I don't understand how the xmen movies are in any way "grimdark"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They aren't. Outside of the obvious answer I can't really think of one off the top of my head.

Maybe those later Harry Potter movies. They just became such a a slog. And visually lovely too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

I always thought it was dark as a matter of being "mature" but in the way an adolescent boy would think is grown up and "deep" because life is poo poo and the good guys don't always win. Like needless gore and depressing crap happening etc.

I think it has its uses but a lot of times it gets overused to bash movies with the slightest bit of pathos. Like I don't understand how the xmen movies are in any way "grimdark"

The term 'grimdark' comes from Warhammer 40,000 and the X-Men films are in no way comparable to the grimness of that setting. The Transformers films are way more grimdark than X-Men (especially with Optimus Prime's obsession with tearing off his enemies' faces) as is the first half of the recent Fantastic Four film where the heroes leave their buddy to die on a hellplanet and then go through extended body horror transformation scenes.

George R R Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice book series is usually given as the most obvious example of the 'grimdark' genre because everyone is a murderous backstabbing rear end in a top hat and the people who try to be virtuous and follow a code of honor end up getting killed or mutilated or raped.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's offbrand Heroes

Only with more super powered rape

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it's not like the New Mutants comic book is any stranger to trippy horror/psychedelic imagery

drat, I love Bill Sienkiewicz

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Grimdark is a word that has been used to describe so many different things that it has lost most of it's meaning. Now it is pretty much just nerd speak for "something I don't like."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
As with most fan memes, "grimdark" is the misattribution of criticism to superficial content what is actually a reaction to aesthetics and ideology. So the new Power Rangers is "grimdark" because it now looks like a competently made, big-budget action movie instead of a low budget TV show from the '90s. Or The Dark Knight is "grimdark" because instead of a conventional power fantasy, you actually feel like there's something significant at stake in the clash between this amoral terrorist and crypto-fascist billionaire.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe those later Harry Potter movies. They just became such a a slog. And visually lovely too.

I don’t understand how David Yates has gotten away with clumsily ripping off Alfonso Cuaron for like 8 straight movies now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because he's cheap or JK Rowling likes his garbo vision

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If only they'd let Terry Gilliam do the Harry Potter movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He'd be just about finished with the sorcerers Stone by now, and would have gone through five Ron Weaslys due to them unfortunately dying on set

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

If only they'd let Terry Gilliam do the Harry Potter movies.

Gilliam's work is too Grimdark.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't know the first couple Harry Potter movies are utter garbage, the Cuaron one is great (duh), 4 is really bad. 5 on are hit and miss but they're generally all right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UmOk posted:

Grimdark is a word that has been used to describe so many different things that it has lost most of it's meaning. Now it is pretty much just nerd speak for "something I don't like."

It definitely has meaning and utility in critiquing/reviewing fantasy novels but even then it's difficult to nail down an unambiguous definition.

UmOk posted:

Brazil is definitely grimdark.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

UmOk posted:

Unironically. Brothers Grimm for example is practically a Warhammer movie already. The mix of acid head 80s counterculture, DnD sourcebooks as written by Kafka, and Great War imagery that made up the original "grimdark" Warhammer 40k is right up his alley

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
for every time this thread keeps unironically OR IRONICALLY posting the term "grimdark" I am going to hurt a video game

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

for every time this thread keeps unironically OR IRONICALLY posting the term "grimdark" I am going to hurt a video game

This post is grimdark as gently caress.

Tell that to Punkin Spunkin's snapped Assassin's Creed disc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

porfiria posted:

I don't know the first couple Harry Potter movies are utter garbage, the Cuaron one is great (duh), 4 is really bad. 5 on are hit and miss but they're generally all right.

The only good part of the Harry Potter movies is Professor McGonagall dropping the hammer in Hogwarts' darkest hour.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

In the grimdark future of the San Antonio Spurs, there is only lamarcus aldridge. Tell it to Kawhi Leonard's snapped hamstrings

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

In the grimdark future of the San Antonio Spurs, there is only lamarcus aldridge. Tell it to Kawhi Leonard's snapped hamstrings
this post is violence
gonna make this thread suffer for this by posting comic book "movie" "news"

noted predator Ben Affleck posted:

Joss just brought to the movie what good directors bring, which is good taste. A sense of what’s gonna work in the story and what isn’t. An instinct for realism and for finding the humanity in the characters and the humanity in the conflict, then making it accessible and relevant. I think that’s one of the things he did so well with Avengers, frankly. He really defined the tone, and it felt like a lot of the movies after that sort of fell into that tone that he created. It was a very tricky dance where you have all these people who can do all these fantastic things that’s completely absurd on the face of it, and yet, a good storyteller like Joss brings us in, makes us identify with them, makes them seem real, and makes it interesting. A lot of guys know the comic books, a lot of people have that knowledge base. What Joss really has is talent.
I wish I had the gift that he has for identifying what’s the most compelling human drama in the context of superhero conflict. But he has a very sharp mind for it. He knows exactly what he wants, almost with a surgeon’s kind of precision. He focuses in, beat by beat, on how he’s telling the story, exactly where he’ll be editorially. What the tenor of delivery of a line should be like. He gives you comfort because you feel like he has a very clear idea of what he wants, what he expects and, most importantly, what he thinks will work.
DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES

Khal Drogo posted:

Aquaman, he's not even really Aquaman yet. He's not the King of the Seven Seas. We don't really get there until my solo movie, at the end. Really, it's a huge growth for me. It's a gigantic arc for Arthur Curry. It may be tough for a lot of fans to watch what they're gonna see, how I portray him. But you gotta wait until we get to the solo movie to really know. Because he's not King yet.
He doesn't believe in himself, he doesn't know what to do with the powers he has. He's going through tons of loss. He hates Atlanteans. The fact that people are calling him '"Aquaman" right now - he couldn't give two shits about anything Atlantean. So he's really not quite there yet.
We gotta figure out the origin, where we're going. Some people will be like, "This isn't my Aquaman." But we're not there yet.

Some people will be like "This isn't my Aquaman"? I've never heard of stuff like that happening, Jason. No way comic book nerds would be petty babies like that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does aquaman fight the human submarine

Would that be too grimdark? because light doesnt go deep into the ocean

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this post is violence
gonna make this thread suffer for this by posting comic book "movie" "news"

DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES

Some people will be like "This isn't my Aquaman"? I've never heard of stuff like that happening, Jason. No way comic book nerds would be petty babies like that.

I honestly doubt there's enough Aquaman fans to really matter.

I am a gigantic (literally and figuratively) nerd and all I know about Aquaman is that he had a harpoon for a hand one time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there aren't THAT many people with a really hardened and passionate idea of who Aquaman is to make a big stink about a different interpretation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hear Aquaman is actually really into beautiful human submarines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Namor is the Human Submariner, so they'd have to work out a deal with Universal to use him I think

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Burkion posted:

I mean, Namor is the Human Submariner, so they'd have to work out a deal with Universal to use him I think

They only own the rights to the SubMARiner. Anyone's free to use the SubmarINEr.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Technically Namor is a mutant, not human.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there aren't THAT many people with a really hardened and passionate idea of who Aquaman is to make a big stink about a different interpretation.

There's like 3 or 4 "distinct" takes on Aquaman in the comics, and I think only like one of them was cool enough to engender any sort of actual loyalty to the character. Which also means that fans of that version, which is the objectively best version, aren't likely at all to be up in arms about Not My Aquaman.

Really, outside of idiots with no ability to critique something beyond Not My Superman/Batman, the same people who probably use Grimdark to write things off, Green Lantern and The Flash are the only DC properties with battle lines drawn between "correct" versions. And with the Lanterns there's really only one wrong version, and his name is Hal Jordan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's in my estimation two iconic Aquamen. The Momoa long haired badass warrior King, and the current comic one which is more of a King Arthur type figure working as a peacemaker and diplomat trying to reconcile two worlds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is the 1950s sitcom dad from Brave and the Bold and that is my Aquaman

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

There is the 1950s sitcom dad from Brave and the Bold and that is my Aquaman

i'll forgive any of whedon's filmmaking sins if momoa drops an 'outrageous' during his on-point quips

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm predicting a scene where Aquamam wears a bright orange shirt and either he or someone else comments on how stupid a bright orange shirt looks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, it's stuff like Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, which is a pretty straightforward fantasy story, but everyone's an rear end in a top hat, they swear and no one does anything sincerely. It's like an extremely cynical offshoot of post modernism. It's books and films that are terrified of sincerity, and so cover it up with violence, rape and violent rape.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's in my estimation two iconic Aquamen. The Momoa long haired badass warrior King, and the current comic one which is more of a King Arthur type figure working as a peacemaker and diplomat trying to reconcile two worlds.

That seems like a good fit for the beautiful caramel man. I always thought it was a pity he didn't get a better Conan movie, because, as bad as that movie was, he was a great fit for Conan. Now he gets to be Conan but underwater

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The ripple...of steelhead.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, it's stuff like Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, which is a pretty straightforward fantasy story, but everyone's an rear end in a top hat, they swear and no one does anything sincerely. It's like an extremely cynical offshoot of post modernism. It's books and films that are terrified of sincerity, and so cover it up with violence, rape and violent rape.

Joe Abercrombie is not grimdark. Not saying it doesn't get grim sometimes but it has tons of humor cool inversions of the genre.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
“Darkness” refers to literal darkness of the image, while “grimness” refers to the degree to which the audience-identification character enjoys what they do.

That’s why Tony Stark can commit technicolor genocide on a regular basis, and you can have a movie literally called Thor The Dark World - both without complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm predicting a scene where Aquamam wears a bright orange shirt and either he or someone else comments on how stupid a bright orange shirt looks.

Given what we've seen of him so far I hope the joke would be more like "I could rock this".

• Locked thread