Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Raging Storm only hits twice. If her CMD1 is doing over 5000 per hit, it's better.

It wasn't on golem. Maybe I need better equipment but this was with 2 wind boost equipments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Angeal. Lann probably takes the third (at least Reynn is a halfway decent Ice user).

I actually use Lann! He's my best fire damage for the ice magicite fight with his BSB. His gimmick is he does more damage when they're weak so that helps in this one specific instance

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why does that chart only have the top two characters entrusted and only considers self triggered trances? It seems pretty heavily biased towards Shadow and Edge for no apparent reason.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper - It Seems Pretty Heavily Biased Towards Shadow And Edge For No Apparent Reason

I will agree that it is strange that it's so inconsistent. Also the assumptions are bullshit mathcrafting that will never actually get off the ground anywhere in normal gameplay. Why would you only equip one piece of elemental gear if you had someone fully dived? Why would you use +30% Damage materia on someone not using their SB who has a perfectly valid +40% Damage materia right there (example: the Master builds running Meteor Crush and Lifebane)? Why would you assume the enemy never attacks (thus self-trancing and stable 3x Lifesiphons/Wraths for a single gauge)? Why would you assume minimal damage on procs (as they appear to have done, given Ace's oddly high ranking over Bartz - 1x at Magic Softcap is significantly more potent than .8x at Attack Softcap, the difference being that a 50% chance of 3.2x Attack is a lot more consistent than a 1% chance at 32x Magic)

It's just... the whole thing is incredibly GameFAQs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I definitely have used that chart to plan some pulls and make some decisions, but instead of taking it at face value, my judgements tend to be "Ace is at the top of this list, so he's probably better than I think."

In that vein, it's a decent list I find. Knowing that X is "really good DPS" is better than going into something knowing absolutely nothing, I guess!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I definitely have used that chart to plan some pulls and make some decisions, but instead of taking it at face value, my judgements tend to be "Ace is at the top of this list, so he's probably better than I think."

In that vein, it's a decent list I find. Knowing that X is "really good DPS" is better than going into something knowing absolutely nothing, I guess!

Yeah, he's got an enelement-boosted chaser; the damage is a bit RNG (I think the odds are like 75% 1x, 24% 2x, 1% 13x? Something like that, I was wrong with the "32x" before, confused this game's Ace with Exvius's) but it's always flat bonus damage to every action he takes. Pair it with Chain Firaga and Meltdown and he melts faces. Papalymo probably beats him out with a good enough LM2 proc rate, but he's at least on par with Terra, with the slight edge of being faster to start up as long as he has an Entruster handy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That list at least made me realize I need more USBs, some of the early ones weren't all that strong

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Tried my Bismarck team vs the Squall apocalypse fight.

Single-chain'd him, OK entrust to Shantotto CSB/BSB while Desch and Rapha BSB is ridiculous to watch. Feels good watching Shantotto be able to contribute outside of just setting the field then 4 hell thunders and tapped.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ApplesandOranges posted:

CoD is mostly just for having an extra +Dark staff and a source of Radiant Shield, since her commands are a bit lackluster. But despite her main focus being Dark, she's one of the very few Holy mages out there that can run alongside Raines (the other being Hope), and while her commands aren't anything special they're still more consistent/stronger than most of Dark/Holy's actual tools (Dire Heal/Dark Zone is capped at 2-hits for now and Holy is limited to Alexander til they get Madeen).

I'm weighing CoD vs. Larsa vs. Sarah myself. CoD would be nice for the aforementioned reasons, Larsa would be a reliable source of Astra since I whiffed on Iris BSB, and Sarah brings synergy and Bard support.

I ended up going with CoD BSB thanks to your points and the realization of "oh wait I don't actually have a source of Radiant Shield".

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Have a dived Ace with USB + BSB, can confirm that he is extremely loving good

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Why would you use +30% Damage materia on someone not using their SB who has a perfectly valid +40% Damage materia right there (example: the Master builds running Meteor Crush and Lifebane)?

30% weapon damage is actually better than 40% monk damage for Master specifically. Master already has +36% Monk damage from his RD and LD, and those stack additively with a +X% Monk damage RM, while the +30% Fist damage RM stacks multiplicatively. 1.36+0.4 = 1.76; 1.36 * 1.3 = 1.768.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Is Master's BSB the best physical non-elemental burst around? I've had it for awhile and I've used him a good bit but I've never taken the time to actually go dive him and poo poo. On that note, I remember Zurai knocking Noctis' BSB down awhile ago but I could use a refresher on just how good or bad it is and why.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is Master's BSB the best physical non-elemental burst around? I've had it for awhile and I've used him a good bit but I've never taken the time to actually go dive him and poo poo. On that note, I remember Zurai knocking Noctis' BSB down awhile ago but I could use a refresher on just how good or bad it is and why.

Absent a legend dive, I think it is already among the best, and with a dive it might be the best.

The greatest thing about Master is that he is one of the few characters whose legend dive, rather than their relics, make them truly powerful. A R3 Lifebane in his hands can do ridiculous work, and it doesn't require any gacha luck whatsoever.

Someone really ought to make a list of the best characters to dive without any relics. Vivi and Shelke are definitely up there too.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Had some time today, actually did a holy party and got rid of Rydia's mom. Took a while since I wanted the first kill to be sub 30.

OK bsb
Kuja bsb
Yuna bsb2
Raines bsb osb
Ramza usb (used only once to powerchain out Raines' final OSB)

Raines is beastly but mom's mist form made the timing difficult to hone.

Magicite is Enkidu with various 2* mag boosters.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Is 6* dark matter a thing yet?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

it turns him into the glassiest of cannons

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

paperwind posted:

Absent a legend dive, I think it is already among the best, and with a dive it might be the best.

The greatest thing about Master is that he is one of the few characters whose legend dive, rather than their relics, make them truly powerful. A R3 Lifebane in his hands can do ridiculous work, and it doesn't require any gacha luck whatsoever.

Someone really ought to make a list of the best characters to dive without any relics. Vivi and Shelke are definitely up there too.

Basically anyone with a + damage and doublecast of the same type is good enough to dive, pretty much. The list I see a lot is:

Shelke
Master
Shadow
Yuffie
Bartz
Paine
Vivi
Cyan

Probably Cloud too if you have good Omega Drive hones?

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Doublecasts are good, trance modes with fastcast/doublecast (essentially ex modes that don’t cost a sb gauge) are excellent. Basically, abilities are already massively better than bsb commands, and are getting buffed more in the near future. You’re going to want to be using them, so you’re going to want dives and sbs that make them better.

Kind of an example, I just got my sub 30 second living flame clear today, which was the last one I was missing. I used zero water sbs. Legend dived edge (ssb2) dualcasting ninja skills, celes dualcasting water twinstrikes, and cloud usb into dualcasted omega drives got me there.

Cloud usb is super good, but my point is that there’s no way that would have been possible without legend dives adding a ton of extra juice to my abilities.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hard to say if it's "the best" (since other elemental bursts with non-elemental options might outdamage it, I haven't run the numbers on Cloud BSB2 but it's really high up there too) but it's absolutely in the top percentage.

Now if only we could get Master's Legend Sphere, which we should have gotten a good 4 months ago, but Global And Japan Are Two Different Games.

Noctis BSB is... weird. It's not particularly good, but it's not the worst thing out there. Basically it's Zell's SSB2, as a burst, with an alright CMD1 (two turns of TG Cid Mode has utility potential, even if it loses out in DPS to just spamming Omega Drive) and a CMD2 that exists mostly as a way to keep the OSB -> Omega Drive cycle consistent, between refreshing Stoneskins and self-ethers.

EDIT: So I learned something interesting on JP today. I was trying to master those lovely Core SBs you get out of Elite stages because "must master all the things" and I found out two things about the EXP daily.

One is that Drain (from the Black Warlocks) is a NAT attack, it's not chewed up by Grand Cross effects at all (or my Celes BSB2 was defective, which I highly doubt is the case). Two?

Against characters with literal single-digit RES, it actually breaks the 9999 cap. :gibs:
(The rest of my team is that jacked up because I was trying to get the timing right on the screenshot, I'm not usually this awful)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 14, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I just want all of you to know that Dorgann's USB is :master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVPsXn3yVU

The other two "old" 4 Warriors of Light are also in as playables.

Xezat: Combat 4, Spellblade 5, Black Magic 4, Knight 3
Kelger: Combat 5, Celerity 5, Ninja 5, Thief 4

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 14, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

All this mythril and the talk about Master's BSB has me tempted to pull on the FF1 renewal banner since I have literally 0 relics for I somehow. Is this a decent banner to pull on, or should I hold off? Not like I'm in a rush for realm synergy if there's a much better banner coming up for it some day.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

All this mythril and the talk about Master's BSB has me tempted to pull on the FF1 renewal banner since I have literally 0 relics for I somehow. Is this a decent banner to pull on, or should I hold off? Not like I'm in a rush for realm synergy if there's a much better banner coming up for it some day.

There is a FF1 event coming down the pipeline not long after the Onion Knight USB banner (so probably sometime right around the New Year), and both banners present have much better quality overall, if you really think you need FF1 synergy to clear out the torment or do Cid Missions or the like. In the sake of fairness, though, let's run the odds of the renewal banner.

You've got a pool of 5 BSBs, 2 6* relics (a CSB and OSB), and 9 SSBs of generally shoddy quality. Of the BSBs, one is pretty bad (Garland's, which is a super early Endark burst and is showing its age super hard) and one is a cura medica on entry. Of the SSBs, Matoya's is the only one really worth considering (ATK/MAG +30%, high regen).

In other words, assuming all of the relics have equal odds, you have 6 good relics and 10 "meh" or worse ones. That's a 37.5% chance of any given relic being good as more than a statstick. On the other hand, if it's statsticks you want, there's a decent number of +holy and +dark ones in there, if you see the need to justify a gamble.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Varance posted:

Xezat: Combat 4, Spellblade 5, Black Magic 4, Knight 3

Excuse me?

Xezat was said to be good singer and you learn Swift Song in his castle with Gaulf commenting on it.

Why doesn't he have Bard 5? :colbert:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

psychologists need to study how there is such a huge gap between the bleeding edge meta of this game versus how I play it in the 20 minute bus ride to and from work, having completed only half the nightmare dungeons and none of the torments or even the elite realms, and yet I feel proud when I draw a neat item from the gacha and feel like i've won

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

Excuse me?

Xezat was said to be good singer and you learn Swift Song in his castle with Gaulf commenting on it.

Why doesn't he have Bard 5? :colbert:

It's more confusing why they felt the need to make him a Spellblade focused character.

In the same realm as Bartz.

:psyduck:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's more confusing why they felt the need to make him a Spellblade focused character.

He's the same way in Mobius.

https://mobius.gamepedia.com/Xezat:_FFV_(Card)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

YoshiOfYellow posted:

At the very least he targets the two elements that Bartz has no natural SB support for(ice/lightning with an emphasis on ice), which helps him avoid being totally redundant versus the Butt Man. He does look pretty weak and redundant compared to Kelger and Dorgann who look to have received powerful chase USBs.

I do wish they had done something weird with him like give him Bard as mentioned before.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 14, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah this game needs more bards badly, Allegro Con Moto looks cool but the only characters I could possibly run it on are Tyro and I guess Cait Sith since I have his BSB.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I pulled on it under the same logic of hopefully shoring up some FF1 synergy and maybe getting some other SBs for the other characters in it since all I had was WoL's CSB, Garland's BSB and Sarah's old Unique.

I got two Garland SSB weapons for my trouble. :geno:

And then I pulled on the XV banner and all I got was a dupe of Noctis's LMR, which I already had at 6* from the last XV event. :negative:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Garnet eventually gets Bard 5 when she gets her Legend Dive.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AegisP posted:

Garnet eventually gets Bard 5 when she gets her Legend Dive.
I actually didn't know Legend Dives could give ability access

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Yeah this game needs more bards badly, Allegro Con Moto looks cool but the only characters I could possibly run it on are Tyro and I guess Cait Sith since I have his BSB.

I've got relics for every Bard 5 but Gogo (V) right now. It really is a small pool, just 7 Bards, + Aria and Garnet. Eiko can't Allegro since she dives for Bard 5, but she can use the buff bard songs if we get them. I'm honestly surprised they haven't given it to Echo or Mog considering their appearance in every Brass de Bravo event in Japan.

I think the Dancer is pretty small too? Tyro, Echo, Mog, Cait, Freya (eventualy), Rikku, Penelo and Montblanc, plus Faris and Iris who can dive for it.

Nihilarian posted:

I actually didn't know Legend Dives could give ability access

It's just patched in in the same event she gets her Legend Dive, she's not getting ability access from her dive. Not too many have happened recently (Aerith and Rydia just got Light Armor access with the last update), but we do have a few other character buffs coming up.
  • Garnet - Light Armor and Bard 0 -> 5
  • Serah - Light Armor
  • Noel - Sharpshooter 0 -> 5
  • Orlandeau - Darkness 4 -> 5
  • Luneth - Celerity 3 -> 5
  • Freya - Dancer 0 -> 5

pichupal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 14, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Raines is beastly but mom's mist form made the timing difficult to hone.

Magicite is Enkidu with various 2* mag boosters.
Gawd, that fight gets to me. There's potentially ten seconds of deviation when each phase actually begins.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cowcaster posted:

psychologists need to study how there is such a huge gap between the bleeding edge meta of this game versus how I play it in the 20 minute bus ride to and from work, having completed only half the nightmare dungeons and none of the torments or even the elite realms, and yet I feel proud when I draw a neat item from the gacha and feel like i've won

I’m in a similar boat. I’ll get there eventually, but for now it’s fun cleaning out events, levelling dudes and stomping story content with overgeared teams. I’m glad I limped through the FFV torment to get Bartz Snowspell Strike though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, gave those gigases a miss last time, atomised them this time.

Also how long has it been possible to sort accessories by resistance? Because I found it out yesterday and :swoon:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

McDragon posted:

Also how long has it been possible to sort accessories by resistance? Because I found it out yesterday and :swoon:

years, i think

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah I want to say it happened around the time Mote Ifrit came out last year, so over a year ago. Or maybe a little bit after that. All muddled together now

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I thought power creep would make mincemeat out of the FFII event I never got around to finishing.

Thunder Gigas by himself made me think differently in a hurry, my goodness.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did a pull on XV fishing for either Prompto USB or Aranea BSB/OSB to add some meat to my physical lightning squad, which is very thin on the ground.

Pulled Prompto Burst and SSB. This wouldn't be a horrible pull for general use, except I've got a legend dived complete Faris for support with a BSB Shelke on the side. :suicide:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Armitage posted:

I thought power creep would make mincemeat out of the FFII event I never got around to finishing.

Thunder Gigas by himself made me think differently in a hurry, my goodness.

No, see.

Power creep made it bearable. The Minwu event's Ultimate, when it first hit, was high-octane overtuned bullshit.

So power creep brutalized it the same way it brutalized Mote Ifrit: by making it clearable by mere mortals.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is a horrible thing for my completionist lizard-brain when I just started a couple of months ago. By my math each event has about a day's worth of stamina required, there's two for each banner, a new banner gets released every day, and they stick around for a week after the last one ends. There's no way to catch up on everything without burning mythril, and while I'll still some off ahead, doing so angers other parts of my lizard-brain.

• Locked thread