Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

An update on my dicky Vive trackpad. Took me a month but

Ralith posted:

A little rubber nub under the middle of the trackpad has fallen off. Very common issue, widely regarded as a design flaw (probably didn't help to have people punching the wall with it regularly though :v:). Can be glued back in place if you manage to open up the controller without snapping any of the tiny fragile ribbon cables or screwing up the calibration; there are videos on youtube. Covered by warranty but RMA service from HTC is garbage.

I tried doing the repair tonight, took 5 minutes once I got the first bastard screws out, not much more difficult than poo poo I've had to do to laptops and hard drives. Restuck the nub and now it runs perfectly. Many thanks

Also Space Pirate Trainer update is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The part in the mines right after getting the crank in arizona sunshine is some ripe bullshit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The part in the mines right after getting the crank in arizona sunshine is some ripe bullshit.

It's easily the worst part of the game. I holed up in the hallway on the right, all the way where it loops back to the part where you can see the room you picked up the crank in

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I just backed into a corner and took them out. Which felt like cheesing it, but after dying 8 times I didn't care anymore.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

veni veni veni posted:

That is the exact point I declared gently caress it and uninstalled.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think they patched the difficulty. It's tough but not too bad. I just stood in the middle of the room. If you're not hitting headshots you'll die but that's zombies for you.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Don't know if it's any good, but Edge of Nowhere is currently 85% off in the Oculus store. $39.99 $4.99

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It's easily the worst part of the game. I holed up in the hallway on the right, all the way where it loops back to the part where you can see the room you picked up the crank in

I didn’t mind it. Was tense as hell. Now the shoot out before the mines? Bleh.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Arizona Sunshine is best when you are wandering around places opening doors and exploring buildings. The wave shooter bits are by far the worst parts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Remote User posted:

Don't know if it's any good, but Edge of Nowhere is currently 85% off in the Oculus store. $39.99 $4.99

This was one of my favorite games of last year just in general, but then I'm also a sucker for lovecraftian settings.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
For $5 it’s not bad. I only have the touch controllers so moving while hitting X is annoying.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KakerMix posted:

Arizona Sunshine is best when you are wandering around places opening doors and exploring buildings. The wave shooter bits are by far the worst parts.

That alone would make Fallout 4 VR so drat good but apparently opening stuff just brings up a menu.

I'm praying industrious modders can put that in along with fixing whatever else is wrong with the base game.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqIbeQQL8c

Rick & Morty GDC post-mortem is up on Youtube. Lots of interesting stuff in there, including about locomotion. I'm not really a huge fan of how they set the teleportation system up, made everything feel cramped with a small playspace.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Lemming were you at the Dash talk at OC? Wondering if there was any useful info that came out in the Q&A, like if there will be a virtual keyboard (something Oculus has so far seemed to want to avoid like the plague for some reason).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Annual John Carmack :spergin: keynote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYL16-NaOw

Also,

mobby_6kl posted:

So that's still $200 more than the Rift though, what are they thinking? I'm pretty sure the "limited time" Rift discount is going to be pretty permanent and the Vive doesn't come with the upgraded headstrap or the knuckles. I get that it's more roomscale but ugh.
:smug:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 14, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You know, I was kind of down on the idea of the Oculus Go, only 3DoF, no better than a gearVR in processing or anything, but listening to him talk about it he's actually kind of sold me on it. I don't have a gearVR compatible phone, and how low effort he makes the experience sound like it takes to get in and out of, I could honestly see having something to take on a plane with me, throw in a bag and play some keep talking and no one explodes, or do some other VR stuff, even watching movies in bed on something like that.

Heck, $199, with no playing around with a phone and stuff, I could even see my parents having one to play around with. If they bring facebook spaces to it (which they have GOT to be planing on), it would even be a fun way to keep in touch with them in a more fun way than a skype call.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

3DOF has never felt comfortable to me, perhaps it's my posture. It always feels like the tracking is off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, I was kind of down on the idea of the Oculus Go, only 3DoF, no better than a gearVR in processing or anything, but listening to him talk about it he's actually kind of sold me on it. I don't have a gearVR compatible phone, and how low effort he makes the experience sound like it takes to get in and out of, I could honestly see having something to take on a plane with me, throw in a bag and play some keep talking and no one explodes, or do some other VR stuff, even watching movies in bed on something like that.

I had exactly the same thought. I've been pretty down on phone VR for a variety of reasons, but the price point plus the fact that not being an actual phone eliminates a lot of problems makes a Go pretty interesting. In the past there were many times I almost spent a lot more than $200 on those movie watching headsets, and those were a lot shittier functionality-wise than even Cardboard while only really even being good for movies.

If a fully charged battery can get me through a ~6 hour flight in movie theater mode I'm definitely interested.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Aren't there some airlines that have offered GearVR for premium passengers already? Or am I making that up. Seems like a perfect market for Go.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

El Grillo posted:

Aren't there some airlines that have offered GearVR for premium passengers already? Or am I making that up. Seems like a perfect market for Go.

No that was definitely a thing, I think it was QANTAS? Not sure, but you're right. I could see these totally being a thing airlines would let you rent, just like some planes without entertainment setups let you rent a tablet. I haven't seen a plane without USB jacks in a while as well, so the battery isn't even a concern as you could leave it plugged in.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

God, I unironically love John Carmack. Really glad he's in the VR industry.

On another note, anyone have experience using a gear/daydream VR on a plane? I've got a ~13 hour flight coming up soon and a galaxy S8, not sure I want to be "that guy" though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Use headphones, of course

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Good ol phone VR, interesting for about a day.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

App13 posted:

On another note, anyone have experience using a gear/daydream VR on a plane? I've got a ~13 hour flight coming up soon and a galaxy S8, not sure I want to be "that guy" though.

Just think of it as a sleep mask with a TV built in.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Republicans posted:

Just think of it as a sleep mask with a TV built in.

I think that sentence just sold me on the idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

App13 posted:

:same: though I liked his quakecon talks even more as he got to talk about all sorts of random nerdy poo poo like rockets, his Teslas and modded Ferraris and what not.

As for your question, I see no issues with it, go ahead!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Use headphones, of course
Ideally in-ear monitors with good isolation so you don't hear anyone.

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, I was kind of down on the idea of the Oculus Go, only 3DoF, no better than a gearVR in processing or anything, but listening to him talk about it he's actually kind of sold me on it.
I'm still not entirely sure I'd actually buy one, but he definitely made a good case for it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 14, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
These fuckin' guys are still scammin' along: https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/12/ar-mystery-startup-magic-leap-looking-to-raise-as-much-as-1b-in-new-round/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

I have a teacher from college that is working there. I don't think he would have stuck around if he knew it was a scam.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Really refreshing to hear an honest opinion of where Oculus/VR is at the moment, from someone who's so much at the centre of it all/

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

jubjub64 posted:

I have a teacher from college that is working there. I don't think he would have stuck around if he knew it was a scam.

:eng99:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does anyone think that Pimax taking off might be an eventual nail in constellation tracking's coffin? Multiple HMD companies standardizing on the lighthouse approach seems like a big selling point.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does anyone think that Pimax taking off might be an eventual nail in constellation tracking's coffin? Multiple HMD companies standardizing on the lighthouse approach seems like a big selling point.

Santa Cruz and the Hololens/windows MR are already the nail in the coffin of every kind of external tracking. Outside of niche applications like VR arcades or installations, by gen 2, maybe gen 3 at the absolute latest, anything not CV based will be dead for consumers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

For standalone stuff/phone VR for sure, I don't think they're gonna have controller tracking figured out for gen 2 PCVR though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Speaking of Carmack talks, some off the cuff stuff recorded in the hallway: https://medium.com/silicon-valley-global-news/john-carmack-interviewed-at-oculus-connect-4-30bdbb72bffa

A nice point mentioned is that Go won't be locked down, side loading will be easy to do at release.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

It's probably because they promised really big in their first video which was all fake, then made a second one they stated was real but also turned out to be fake.
Meanwhile mega-corporations Microsoft and Google are still struggling to bring AR/MR (Hololens/Glass) with their endless money+talent and we're supposed to believe the company that's only given us fake demonstrations is farther?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
:siren: Penn and Teller's Desert Bus is coming to VR. :siren:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You... lie.....

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Why would I care to play a game that is famous for being intentionally boring?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Lemming posted:

Why would I care to play a game that is famous for being intentionally boring?

At this point you care because the annual charity event will now force someone to drive the bus in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's probably because they promised really big in their first video which was all fake, then made a second one they stated was real but also turned out to be fake.
Meanwhile mega-corporations Microsoft and Google are still struggling to bring AR/MR (Hololens/Glass) with their endless money+talent and we're supposed to believe the company that's only given us fake demonstrations is farther?

Well now that I think about it he is on the game development side not the tech dev side. I guess he could be unaware of how far behind it is. He would have some interaction with the tech though.