Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

so what was the latest update. i think i last played in 2015

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

:frogc00l:

quote:

Back in May, I mentioned invader demands for artifacts, and the petition system there, where you can choose to send a dwarf out to negotiate. You can then bring the siegers the artifact they are demanding (if you have it and choose to do so), and I mentioned then that there were a few bits to finish. So those bits are done now, and the testing as well... and did it need testing! Ha ha ha. So many deaths, so many misunderstandings. Human soldiers spooked by a barn owl and then blasting everything that moves, diplomats shot in the back on their walk out, satisfied invaders leaving stragglers lingering forever on the map, and on and on.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

so what was the latest update. i think i last played in 2015

Basically what you've played. Come back in two months we are expecting a new release then with lots of little changes like sieges hypothetically coming to your fort for a specific item.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dwarven politics working as intended I see.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Dwarf Fortress 2017: Ha ha ha. So many deaths, so many misunderstandings.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Alehkhs posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2017: Ha ha ha. So many deaths, so many misunderstandings.

Nice.

Lol at the new version coming out this year though

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Accurate.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Kiss of death.

Sadly the swordsdwarf didn't survive the siege.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maarak posted:

Kiss of death.

Sadly the swordsdwarf didn't survive the siege.

I assume there are two goblin macemen there, and the dude didn't catch a severed head with his mouth and have the body keep fighting him. I say assume because dwarf fortress.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

:frog: posted:

Two main things this week were testing encountering an artifact quester in the woods while holding their artifact, and some quibbling with fort-mode artifact questers. The woodland artifact quester didn't go so well at first. I used my debug power to manifest as the Manifestation, holding the quest crossbow, which I immediately handed over. When I asked the quester about it, he said "An unknown creature has given an unknown creature <correct artifact name>. I don't care one way or another." There was an obscure bug causing his inability to reflect on the situation properly; visual IDs required some third party to have seen the handover, and I'd done all the testing up until this point in crowded mead halls. So I sorted it out and got a happy reply about turning over the crossbow properly. Reloaded, tested out various personality combinations, got mugged, etc.

Still racing against the clock! What have we got, ten days left in October? Hmm...

:pray:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What do I need to do to get dwarves to use bins reliably?

I have a bars/blocks stockpile of 148 tiles. Max bins is set to 148. There's perhaps 70 bins in it and the rest is loose bars and blocks (plus huge piles in the smelters making them cluttered). I have loads of spare bins, both lying around in the furniture stockpile and piled up inside the carpenter's workshops (those aren't getting moved to the stockpiles for some reason), but the dwarves won't add any more bins to that stockpile.

The finished goods stockpiles, clothing stockpiles, etc are all using bins as expected.

I tried making another 9x9 bars/blocks stockpile to see what would happen, and they filled the whole thing with loose billon, then dragged a single bin over, filled that with more billon, and called it a day, leaving the other 8 squares binless.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sounds like there might be something borked in your hauling network. Are you getting cancellation spam? If you have that many loose bars and bins, you might be running into the old "Dwarf 1 grabs Bin 1 to get Bar 1, Dwarf 2 grabs Bin 2 to get Bar 1, everyone gets confused until they just go get drunk" issue.

Dwarves are weird.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unless you intend to sell the stuff to a caravan, it's waaaaay easier to quantum stockpile that stuff than to use stockpiles.

But yeah what's happening is Dwarf A wants to put a bar into a bin, but Dwarf B is putting a different bar into the bin and only one dwarf can "use" the bin at a time so Dwarf A shrugs and drops his bar onto the floor--within the stockpile. Now the bar is considered in the stockpile so the dwarves see no reason to bother putting it into a bin. Then once the current bin fills up, all 148 tiles have something lying on them so the dwarves go "welp, no empty tiles so we can't put a new bin there".

The usual workaround is a second stockpile that accepts no bins and feeds into the first stockpile, and when the first stockpile gets full of random unbinned poo poo dump it all into the second stockpile then unforbid it.

Quantum stockpiling is easier though, really.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

What do I need to do to get dwarves to use bins reliably?

I have a bars/blocks stockpile of 148 tiles. Max bins is set to 148. There's perhaps 70 bins in it and the rest is loose bars and blocks (plus huge piles in the smelters making them cluttered). I have loads of spare bins, both lying around in the furniture stockpile and piled up inside the carpenter's workshops (those aren't getting moved to the stockpiles for some reason), but the dwarves won't add any more bins to that stockpile.

The finished goods stockpiles, clothing stockpiles, etc are all using bins as expected.

I tried making another 9x9 bars/blocks stockpile to see what would happen, and they filled the whole thing with loose billon, then dragged a single bin over, filled that with more billon, and called it a day, leaving the other 8 squares binless.

Well think about it. From a programming perspective once that item is in the stockpile the dwarves are basically good with it's location. Don't fix what ain't broke and that there is a bar in a bar stockpile looks good to me.

Now as to the actual question, why would you even want more bins in the stockpile? Bins actually suck right now because for every job they have to be drug around to the jobsite and likely the material of the bin makes it heavier than whatever was actually inside of it. Worse they then have to take the bin back and only then can another dwarf access anything inside of the bin for another job.

Worse still once your entire bar stockpile is bins then you won't be able to glance over and see which convenient ore you have a massive excess of should be the next batch of thirty cabinets or whatever. You actually have to check your stockpiles screen or look inside the individual bins and that sucks.

Basically a bin is a great thing to store excess bars and kind of sucks for actually being your primary method of storing anything other than crafts( I suppose).

I know this is the opposite of the help you wanted but until Toady gets off his rear end and implements leaving the bin and taking just what you need having an entire stockpile being bins is probably more trouble than it's worth and might actually be detrimental depending on whether anyone else needs what's inside of it.

Edit- lol waaay beaten oh well

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 24, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Sounds like there might be something borked in your hauling network. Are you getting cancellation spam? If you have that many loose bars and bins, you might be running into the old "Dwarf 1 grabs Bin 1 to get Bar 1, Dwarf 2 grabs Bin 2 to get Bar 1, everyone gets confused until they just go get drunk" issue.

No cancellation spam.

reignofevil posted:

Well think about it. From a programming perspective once that item is in the stockpile the dwarves are basically good with it's location. Don't fix what ain't broke and that there is a bar in a bar stockpile looks good to me.

My other stockpiles don't behave this way, though -- e.g. I had a crafts stockpile for a while with no bins, and as soon as I made some bins they immediately repacked the entire stockpile into bins. Same deal with gems and clothing.

quote:

Now as to the actual question, why would you even want more bins in the stockpile? [...] Basically a bin is a great thing to store excess bars and kind of sucks for actually being your primary method of storing anything other than crafts( I suppose).

I may have forgotten to mention that this is a 150-tile bars stockpile? I have seventeen metric shitloads of excess coke and metal bars and it has to go somewhere, and I don't want to use quantum stockpiles. And it's not like they'd need to drag around the bins constantly, the bars are generated by smelters right next to the stockpile and if one of the metalworkers needs an ingot they have loads of bins to pick one from.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
At that point just let the bars sit in the workshop they were made in though?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is probably not what you want to hear but it sounds like everything is set up right and is otherwise functioning and it's just that the dwarves are being dicks which they do sometimes. I'm not sure I believe that they aren't doing anything because the bars are already stockpiled - iirc when you enable bins on an otherwise nearly full stockpile everyone scrambles to bin everything already in there.

I also vote for quantum stockpiles but I understand if you think it's too cheat-y. For me it becomes more of an FPS issue because I suck at managing inventory and usually end up digging out hundreds of squares across several z-levels to store everything otherwise.

I'll abuse the hell out of impulse ramps and minecarts to gib some goblins though.

reignofevil posted:

What I usually do. How much does it affect the work speed? Can't be THAT much I guess.

e: the only thing I can think of is the bins are reserved for other jobs

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 24, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

reignofevil posted:

That offends my sense of tidyness but you're probably right that it's the least bad option.

NEW QUESTION: I made a tavern and now nothing is getting done because 75% of my fortress is socializing in it at any given moment. Have I made a terrible mistake?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ToxicFrog posted:

NEW QUESTION: I made a tavern and now nothing is getting done because 75% of my fortress is socializing in it at any given moment. Have I made a terrible mistake?

Yup!

Things *should* still be getting done but yeah dwarves like to be in that tavern.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Put the whole fort in the tavern Bing Bing bong it's so simple.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToxicFrog posted:

That offends my sense of tidyness but you're probably right that it's the least bad option.

No. It used to be, but then Toady made it so if dwarves don't get to carouse / pray / study they eventually get "distracted" and their labor output takes a nosedive, in quality or speed or both.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No. It used to be, but then Toady made it so if dwarves don't get to carouse / pray / study they eventually get "distracted" and their labor output takes a nosedive, in quality or speed or both.

I used to have a meeting hall with some booze nearby and that wasn't so bad.

But now I have a tavern and I have one page of jobs getting done and one page of jobs not getting done and three pages of dwarves socializing.

Maybe if I executed all the bards...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Dwarf fortress is more about the work your dwarves aren't doing these days tbh.

Sure you aren't getting stuff done but you may well get a funny book! Maybe it gets talked about in a weird song! (I forget if this specific thing can actually happen yet lol)

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What I would like to know is more about the mechanics of visitors and dancing. The very first couple forts I started after those updates had dwarves dancing and whatnot and tons of visitors and it was great. Since then, I'm lucky to get more than a few visitors a year and I rarely if ever see any dancing going on. At least mine seem to be writing books/scrolls which is cool.

Tried starting in all kinds of various locations :(

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

COMRADES posted:

What I would like to know is more about the mechanics of visitors and dancing. The very first couple forts I started after those updates had dwarves dancing and whatnot and tons of visitors and it was great. Since then, I'm lucky to get more than a few visitors a year and I rarely if ever see any dancing going on. At least mine seem to be writing books/scrolls which is cool.

Tried starting in all kinds of various locations :(

I think the big thing is having enough free and open space for the dance - you'll need an area in the room completely devoid of any obstructions (furniture, etc).

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanics for visitors took into account fortress wealth like the mechanic for migrants (or at least I thiiink it does???)

I guess make a bunch of expensive bling and see if in a year or so (toady made things take travel time lol) if there is a significant boost in visitor population.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

COMRADES posted:

That's a worldgen config problem. Go in and set [Nerdiness:90] down to 20 or something.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

COMRADES posted:

What I usually do. How much does it affect the work speed? Can't be THAT much I guess.

Clutter is a massive penalty. The very first level of (CLT) doubles the time it takes to do a job.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Clutter

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MisterOblivious posted:

Clutter is a massive penalty. The very first level of (CLT) doubles the time it takes to do a job.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Clutter

Huh that's more than I thought yeah. Though unless my napkin math is wrong it seems like it would take 75 bars of iron to hit that first clutter level.

This is kinda cool though:

quote:

There is one upside to clutter, depending on your viewpoint and playstyle. As a workshop's production is slowed, so is their consumption of raw materials and their output if there is little demand. If there is sudden spike of demand, the workshop is easily uncluttered and can work at full speed. The benefit of this is that tasks can be left in repeat mode with no supervision and will not produce much unwanted extras or consume more resources than needed.

A still, for example, can eventually get to the rate where dwarves consume booze at same speed as the cluttered workshops produce it.

Wood furnaces similarly will eventually be brought to a point where they produce fuel at same rate as other workshops consume it.

Some invisible hand of the market stuff right here.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any way to save/export labour assignments for the whole fortress and restore them later? My wife and I are doing a succession fort, but she likes to manually configure her dwarf labours and I like to use labourmanager, which (in addition to changing all the assignments around) doesn't clean up after itself and can easily leave the fort in a state where some critical labours have no-one assigned because nothing needed them at the time you disabled it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sometime I'm going to try a fort where everyone has every labor enabled (except for fishing and hunting because the fuckers will just keep doing that until they get eaten by a carp) and see what kind of lovely community I can create.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

ToxicFrog posted:

Is there any way to save/export labour assignments for the whole fortress and restore them later? My wife and I are doing a succession fort, but she likes to manually configure her dwarf labours and I like to use labourmanager, which (in addition to changing all the assignments around) doesn't clean up after itself and can easily leave the fort in a state where some critical labours have no-one assigned because nothing needed them at the time you disabled it.

You would probably need a script to save and restore the professions, I'm not aware of any that exist already. It's definitely possible with the API dfhack provides.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PSA: if you are trying to fill a pond, disable labormanager. It turns off the "Water Hauling" job on all your dwarves and never, ever turns it back on.

necrotic posted:

You would probably need a script to save and restore the professions, I'm not aware of any that exist already. It's definitely possible with the API dfhack provides.

Good to know. I'll see about scripting something up then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Imp Zone succession fortress is still going strong! We have lots and lots of dwarves, more dwarves than you can count, and a lot of them need names! Sign up today!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826819

As an added bonus, the next person to sign up gets to be the mayor of the fortress! Wow!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Toady One Where are we at... I made sure rulers could form new artifact claims post w.g., to keep the world interesting, and made sure adventurer-named artifacts were indeed generally uninteresting to people, despite technically being artifacts. We'd hoped to set up more subtle town-level identity tracking, by alias and appearance, but I ran into trouble there, so it still has to track identity by actual incidents and rumors, rather than just your greetings, community-wise. That is, an individual will track your aliases when you introduce yourself, but they won't pass that information around in a way accessible to the broader community unless there's also a barfight or artifact involved or something, at which point the information will be pooled by any survivors a few hours after the incident area is offloaded.

There are four things left to do. Handling artifact questers in the case that site building maps are realized at the mid level, handling some issues with goblin artifact recovery squads, handling a promise to manage player adventurer party infiltration of goblin sites using identities w/ companions, and doing a few promised bugs. Ha ha, probably another Deadline Disaster from Team Great Predictions over here, but at least the last things are becoming done around the right time.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
"Another Deadline Disaster from Team Great Predictions" is a pretty catchy phrase. Been what, 16 months since the last one? Looking at the releases I think that's the third longest dev period. This upcoming stuff seems like a pretty big "gameplay" addition. Looking forward to having a fort that can be more active in doing things to the world.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I believe the myth and magic arcs will take a while, too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IAmTheRad posted:

I believe the myth and magic arcs will take a while, too.

I can't wait to see Fortresses full of magic users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Urist McWizard cancels casting the spell Create Socks: Missing Reagent Socks

Urist McWizard casts spell Skull Teleport.
Urist McWizard has been struck down!