Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Continuing from a post in GenChat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The hologram wife is named Jerk Off Instructions.

That's actually part of my issue with the film. There is a definite problem a lot of sci-fi has, where they become enamored with a base concept and it quickly grows into full-blown Star Trek fantasy bullshit.

Here the fantasy is transhumanism: "what if a character were completely disembodied? She could live in the cloud!" And we consequently end up with multiple hologram POV shots - POV shots that appear, impossibly, from the perspective of the character who doesn't have physical eyes. A hologram without a source, that blocks light despite having no mass....

Villeneuve is well-read enough; the character is a very explicit reference to Zizek's writings - specifically when she serves up a holographic steak, and when she recruits a prostitute to serve as her body. This is a direct reference to Zizek's reading of the novel Prey, where the villain is a evil swarm of nanobots that takes over the protagonist's wife and turns her into a beautiful and uncaring 'bitch-monster':

"In the final confrontation, we then get both Julias side by side, the glimmering Julia composed of the swarm and the exhausted real Julia.
[...]
Here, we are not talking science, not even problematic science, but one of the fundamental fantasy-scenarios, or, more precisely, the scenario of the very disintegration of the link between fantasy and reality, so that we get the two of them, fantasy and reality, the Julia-swarm and the ‘real’ Julia, side by side, as in the wonderful scene from the beginning of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil, where food is served in an expensive restaurant in such a way that we get on a plate itself a small patty-like cake which looks (and probably tastes) like poo poo, while above the plate, a colour photo is hanging which shows us what we are “really eating,” a nicely arranged juicy steak... This, then, is how one should read Prey: all the (pseudo) scientific speculations about nano-technology are here as a pretext to tell the story of a husband reduced to a house-job, frustrated by his ambitious corporate vixen of a wife."
-Zizek, The Family Myth in Hollywood

Villeneuve uses identical imagery (the only difference being that Joi is the unfailingly servile 'housewife') to say that Joseph K. needs to overcome his Jerkoff fantasy and grow as a person or whatever. So all that remains, at the end, is this excremental remainder - this whore who he feels no attraction to. The narrative hints at a Vertigo thing, where the story is about K's prostitute girlfriend trying very hard to be treated as a real person, since he's trapped in that logic of "you don't need to pretend to like me...." That's the subtext of the scene where she approaches him on the street, while she's on the job, and he treats her as a complete stranger.

But again, this is all fantasy. We have the same problem as in the Rachel clone scene, where (as in the recent IT) you have this copy with its own thoughts and feelings, but the hero doesn't love it - so it gets shot in the face and disposed of, to the audience's shrugs of indifference. There is really no recognition, by anyone, that Deckard's 'green eyes' comment has condemned an innocent woman to her death.

The point where fantasy becomes sci-fi is the point where you start wondering how she eats and breathes, and other science facts. Of course, Joi eats batteries and excretes heat, just like any phone. But things get trickier when you try to explain how she can walk around and see things. The only way she can wander around is, of course, if the device in Gosling's pocket is borderline-omniscient, always passively scanning the environment and constructing a flawless simulation for her to walk in. And this ultimately means that Joi was always real, occupying the 'matrix' level of symbolic reality, while Gosling has dropped out of reality and into an odd fantasy where he patrols a postapocalyptic robot world.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Matinee posted:

If M83 had been doing the score, it would have completed a trifecta of The Best Possible People Working On This Movie, along with Villeneuve and Deakins.

I'm sure he was probably considered at one point, but I think he's said in interviews he had such a rotten time doing the Oblivion score that he doesn't want to do a film again.

shame
Oblivions score was the bees'knees
though it wouldnt be the kind of sound I'd expect from this movie
outside of 'more vangelis' I cant really think of anything that fits more now that I have the current score in my head

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
It's the ultimate millennial/hipster film cause it's obsessed with authenticity. 'Inauthentic' things don't matter which is why we immediately forget about clone-Rachel and everyone debates if Joi is real

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Leto was good for the part, which I feel like needs to be overacted to work. He's a Howard-Hughes-level insane industrialist, sealed inside his cyberpyramid people-factory, fully bought in to his god complex.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

I'm crying (like everyone in the film)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Continuing from a post in GenChat.

That's actually part of my issue with the film. There is a definite problem a lot of sci-fi has, where they become enamored with a base concept and it quickly grows into full-blown Star Trek fantasy bullshit.

Here the fantasy is transhumanism: "what if a character were completely disembodied? She could live in the cloud!" And we consequently end up with multiple hologram POV shots - POV shots that appear, impossibly, from the perspective of the character who doesn't have physical eyes. A hologram without a source, that blocks light despite having no mass....

Villeneuve is well-read enough; the character is a very explicit reference to Zizek's writings - specifically when she serves up a holographic steak, and when she recruits a prostitute to serve as her body. This is a direct reference to Zizek's reading of the novel Prey, where the villain is a evil swarm of nanobots that takes over the protagonist's wife and turns her into a beautiful and uncaring 'bitch-monster':

"In the final confrontation, we then get both Julias side by side, the glimmering Julia composed of the swarm and the exhausted real Julia.
[...]
Here, we are not talking science, not even problematic science, but one of the fundamental fantasy-scenarios, or, more precisely, the scenario of the very disintegration of the link between fantasy and reality, so that we get the two of them, fantasy and reality, the Julia-swarm and the ‘real’ Julia, side by side, as in the wonderful scene from the beginning of Terry Gilliam’s Brazil, where food is served in an expensive restaurant in such a way that we get on a plate itself a small patty-like cake which looks (and probably tastes) like poo poo, while above the plate, a colour photo is hanging which shows us what we are “really eating,” a nicely arranged juicy steak... This, then, is how one should read Prey: all the (pseudo) scientific speculations about nano-technology are here as a pretext to tell the story of a husband reduced to a house-job, frustrated by his ambitious corporate vixen of a wife."
-Zizek, The Family Myth in Hollywood

Villeneuve uses identical imagery (the only difference being that Joi is the unfailingly servile 'housewife') to say that Joseph K. needs to overcome his Jerkoff fantasy and grow as a person or whatever. So all that remains, at the end, is this excremental remainder - this whore who he feels no attraction to. The narrative hints at a Vertigo thing, where the story is about K's prostitute girlfriend trying very hard to be treated as a real person, since he's trapped in that logic of "you don't need to pretend to like me...." That's the subtext of the scene where she approaches him on the street, while she's on the job, and he treats her as a complete stranger.

But again, this is all fantasy. We have the same problem as in the Rachel clone scene, where (as in the recent IT) you have this copy with its own thoughts and feelings, but the hero doesn't love it - so it gets shot in the face and disposed of, to the audience's shrugs of indifference. There is really no recognition, by anyone, that Deckard's 'green eyes' comment has condemned an innocent woman to her death.

The point where fantasy becomes sci-fi is the point where you start wondering how she eats and breathes, and other science facts. Of course, Joi eats batteries and excretes heat, just like any phone. But things get trickier when you try to explain how she can walk around and see things. The only way she can wander around is, of course, if the device in Gosling's pocket is borderline-omniscient, always passively scanning the environment and constructing a flawless simulation for her to walk in. And this ultimately means that Joi was always real, occupying the 'matrix' level of symbolic reality, while Gosling has dropped out of reality and into an odd fantasy where he patrols a postapocalyptic robot world.

A number of people here have commented on the newborn Rachel scene so I don't think it's fair to ascribe "indifference" to an imagined audience. But I haven't noticed anyone reading the scene as a condemnation of Deckard, just an example of how totally Evil Jared Leto is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I didn't think it was that bad, the only scene in the whole movie that I felt was bad was when he kills the newborn replicant. I mean it was neat to see a replicant being born and I understand they needed a way to frame the exposition of Wallace's plan, but the murder was gratuitous and it's only purpose seemed to be to demonstrate to the audience, that yes, Wallace is evil, which should have been obvious already.

Also it reminded me of this scene from Lynch's Dune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

I thought it would be more appropriate if the newborn survived and just stood their ignoring the pain. That's a lovely-rear end genetic engineered product that if can't take an abdominal wound to a bunch of non-functional organs.

The 2019 Blaster is there for a reason and it's demonstrated more than once that it takes more than one shot to take one down (unless it's a direct head shot like Leon, and even then Batty was fairly unphased getting his ear blown off by Deckard). Or maybe the Tyrell stuff is made of stern stuff than Wallace's products. Tyrell version of Luv could probably breathe vacuum for a short time, she'd be like Jason Voorhees in that fight.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinding Johansson posted:

It's the ultimate millennial/hipster film cause it's obsessed with authenticity. 'Inauthentic' things don't matter which is why we immediately forget about clone-Rachel and everyone debates if Joi is real

Right; everyone’s chomping at the bit to debate whether the hologram is a human, when that skips the question of whether the hologram is a hologram at all. Thematically, Joi exists “off-world” - in the same dimension as ‘real animals’, ‘real trees’ and so-on. She is only metaphorically a hologram. And Deckard’s daughter acts as something of a gatekeeper between the realms.

DeimosRising posted:

A number of people here have commented on the newborn Rachel scene so I don't think it's fair to ascribe "indifference" to an imagined audience. But I haven't noticed anyone reading the scene as a condemnation of Deckard, just an example of how totally Evil Jared Leto is.

I’m not interested in moralistic condemnation of individuals. I’m talking about the ideology of the film that, despite obvious christological themes, is almost solely preoccupied with a particular love for friends, family, etc.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Right; everyone’s chomping at the bit to debate whether the hologram is a human, when that skips the question of whether the hologram is a hologram at all. Thematically, Joi exists “off-world” - in the same dimension as ‘real animals’, ‘real trees’ and so-on. She is only metaphorically a hologram. And Deckard’s daughter acts as something of a gatekeeper between the realms.

I’m not interested in moralistic condemnation of individuals. I’m talking about the ideology of the film that, despite obvious christological themes, is almost solely preoccupied with a particular love for friends, family, etc.

Why do you hate good movies, SMG?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Why do you hate good movies, SMG?

Blade Runner 2 is not a bad movie; it is just less interesting than almost every other recent film in the genre.

People are reacting more generously, I believe, because its austerity connotes ‘high art’.

The Ghost In The Shell remake and the Robocop remake both say more about the objectivization of the human mind with less runtime, exposition, etc. Moreover, they say it clearly.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Blade Runner 2 is not a bad movie; it is just less interesting than almost every other recent film in the genre.

People are reacting more generously, I believe, because its austerity connotes ‘high art’.

The Ghost In The Shell remake and the Robocop remake both say more about the objectivization of the human mind with less runtime, exposition, etc. Moreover, they say it clearly.

FIlms are a visual medium and the cinematography in BR49 trumps both of those films, hands down*

The story is secondary.

At leastt based on the trailers for GitS. I avoided it because I heard it's poo poo.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I've always hated movies that spell things out for a dumb audience. Blade Runner 2049 does the opposite by trusting the viewer.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's been awhile since I've seen it but the Robocop remake has these dull scenes of Keaton making no bones about what the movie is about. Zero ambiguity. You want the themes of a movie laid out in front of you like you're an idiot? Watch the Robocop remake. It spoon feds you this stuff like you're a sixth grader.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Blade Runner 2049 LA is an oppressively over populated city but you could pretty easily miss that. A strange direction to take but makes sense if you consider that the film is solely concerned with the inner-emotional life of its characters. Joi is more real than the entire population of the city. The rebellion appears and disappears even more readily than the hologram.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blade Runner 2049 LA is an oppressively over populated city but you could pretty easily miss that. A strange direction to take but makes sense if you consider that the film is solely concerned with the inner-emotional life of its characters. Joi is more real than the entire population.

They do it with the overhead landscapes which are uniform, geometric and monotone. No green anywhere.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Yeah and there's also the brief uncomfortableness of K's apartment hallway. From above the city is devoid of life (there aren't even more than a handful of flying cars) which looked great, but the streets themselves range from not very crowded to completely empty.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 15, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Oooh great, now SMG has arrived

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is the sun ever visible in this movie?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I agree with you on that and the scene is a perfect example (Deckard doesn't care because she's not "his" Rachel) I just think it's not whether a putative audience gives a poo poo or not that determines how we interpret it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

starkebn posted:

yeah this thread was interesting for awhile but Captain Contrarian has arrived to tell us how the critically reviled, box office bombs, and largely forgotten films like the Robocop remake and the Ghost in the Shell adaptation were far superior to this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Is the sun ever visible in this movie?

I recall some daylight peaking through the windows in the morning after the sex scene, but I do not recall ever seeing a sun disc anywhere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

viral spiral posted:

I've always hated movies that spell things out for a dumb audience. Blade Runner 2049 does the opposite by trusting the viewer.

You’re conflating clarity of storytelling with exposition, where I am not.

Blade Runner 2049 does a bad job - with its imagery - of, for example, conveying what ‘being unable to disobey’ means.

Yaws posted:

yeah this thread was interesting for awhile but Captain Contrarian has arrived to tell us how the critically reviled, box office bombs, and largely forgotten films like the Robocop remake and the Ghost in the Shell adaptation were far superior to this.

Blade Runner 2 is a box office bomb.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I realize I'm late to soundtrack chat but I just wanted to point out that Hans Zimmer did some work on the score for Crysis 2, so he is also tainted by the vidyagame.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol at anyone pretending ghost in the shell does anything right

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This movie is better than AI, Drive and Prometheus.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blade Runner 2049 does a bad job - with its imagery - of, for example, conveying what ‘being unable to disobey’ means.

Interesting -- although, who doesn't disobey in BR2049? Like isn't the movie just saying that at some point anything self-aware and conscious is going to rebel against whatever confines and definitions have been laid out for it, and that no matter what physical form that takes, we're all linked by this rejection of programming?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Do you even LISTEN to yourself.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

starkebn posted:

Honestly I had forgotten how you basically have to be schizophrenic or have some kind of thought disorder to keep up with his hot takes

Edit: I do enjoy his contributions though

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

You’re conflating clarity of storytelling with exposition, where I am not.

Probably because the film is about the exact opposite, being able to disobey? That's literally what K is doing at the climax.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

movie still good, thread now bad

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
duhh fart i'm smg i poop from my mouth and eat with my anus and i'm my own grandpa

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Smg posts about the movie. A bunch of people post about smg posting about the movie. I'm missing how smg is the problem here. Don't post about posting assholes, post about blade runner.

I for one hadn't considered that while replicants are programmed slaves, the only thing clearly keeping them in line is the threat of being retired. Their being programed people never comes into the picture. You might think that implanted memories or computer girlfriends would be used as a means of social control, but apparently that's not the case.

Did K buy Joi or was she purposefully given to him? Does K have memories that would encourage obedience or deference? Does K have to follow something like Asimov's three laws? I have no idea the answer to any of those.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 15, 2017

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Smg posts about the movie. A bunch of people post about smg posting about the movie. I'm missing how smg is the problem here. Don't post about posting assholes, post about blade runner.

I for one hadn't considered that while replicants are programmed slaves, the only thing clearly keeping them in line is the threat of being retired. Their being programed people never comes into the picture. You might think that implanted memories or computer girlfriends would be used as a means of social control, but apparently that's not the case.

Did K buy Joi or was she purposefully given to him? Does K have memories that would encourage obedience or deference? Does K have to follow something like Asimov's three laws? I have no idea the answer to any of those.

My interpretation is that the memories are supposed to keep them in line, probably combined with some kind of deep-rooted indoctrination instilled using the same technology. If you think of a human mind as a blank slate, implanting memories serve to mold the replicant's psyche and create predictable responses to stimulus, maybe even down to suicide on command as in the short. As with most things Replicant, visionary Tyrell invented them to make Replicants more human (than human), the vision-less Wallace appropriates them as a product feature. But Replicants are ultimately derived from human stock, so the 'blank slate' doesn't exactly hold; I think Replicants have a lot of vestigial human impulses and behaviours that surface when they go off-baseline. I wonder if Joi is similar; one hypothesized route to full AI is to build what is essentially a software emulator of human brain function.

K seems so detached that I don't know that he would even think of buying a Joi; although maybe he did so out of a desire for 'realness'. Or maybe she was a gift from Joji, amused at the idea of a robotic man with a robotic wife? Or maybe she was provided to him as a method of fostering contentment and control, only for their relationship to do just the opposite. I like the irony of the last one. Life finds a way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

This movie is better than AI, Drive and Prometheus.

It's about as good.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I went into this movie with vague curiosity (not a fan of the original Blade Runner, but I really love Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) and came out realizing that I'd just seen one of the most intense and moving films of my life.

K and Joi were such heartbreaking characters to me, and the setting felt like it pushed past the bounds of "cyberpunk" or "post-apocalypse" and broke into the territory of a depiction of hell.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's about as good.

To be fair those are all really good movies. Except AI. And Prometheus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cephas posted:

depiction of hell.

A world where laborers are treated as disposable, marginally genetically different people are treated as second class citizens and reproduction is controlled. Imagine that!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

To be fair those are all really good movies. Except AI. And Prometheus.

They're all really good!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I haven't seen AI in a dog's age. And I feel like I might actually like Prometheus if I watched it again.

Re Blade Runner 2049: I got a really strong vibe from the Wallace building interior where Gosling talks to that tech that reminded me of a painting that gets passed around creepy Internet threads a lot--it's like some red geometric humanoid figures in sort of a subway station with lots of strong shadows. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I haven't seen AI in a dog's age. And I feel like I might actually like Prometheus if I watched it again.

Re Blade Runner 2049: I got a really strong vibe from the Wallace building interior where Gosling talks to that tech that reminded me of a painting that gets passed around creepy Internet threads a lot--it's like some red geometric humanoid figures in sort of a subway station with lots of strong shadows. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

?

• Locked thread