Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

iroc.dis posted:

I don't have the gif version but here's the video. Its bad.

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-AI23TsfkM
:nms:

Oh my... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This thread has given me a strong apprehension towards forklifts that borders on paranoia. At work the other day a guy from a neighboring factory was helping us move some stuff with his forklift and some of our workers were just strolling along behind him as he was picking stuff up and turning around and backing up and I was all :psyduck: Don't walk so close to the forklift you idiots!! :psyduck:

If they do that again I'm going to make them watch that video.

I work around forklifts and a bunch of guys who know how to use forklifts properly and safely, and even so every time I see a moving forklift I prepare myself as if the operator is blind, retarded, and also actively intending to drive it into me.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
As someone who drives a forklift regularly and does his best to keep safe, and then watches some of the other people that drive that thing, yeah, that's a good way to prepare yourself. There's been a few times when I've surprised by someone coasting past me in an electric forklift because they didn't bother beeping the horn as they drove.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Here is a more comedic one to lighten the mood a bit:
http://i.imgur.com/OJDQyqr.gifv

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given the video itself I suppose the other thing to remember about more heavy duty forklifts is that your rear end, no matter how fat, isn't going to hold down poo poo if the backend wants to go up. Impossible to know what the counterweight in that lift actually was I guess (and it looked like a short but sudden drop of the front end played a part too) but the forklift I use was smaller than that one and has a 5,000 lb counterweight. Assuming they could even fit I could add maybe another fifth of that weight if every other employee we have around regularly climbed aboard. If a forklift is moving at all in literally any direction, whether that's a direction it should be moving in or not, there is basically nothing you can do to stop it..

Stay away from forklifts in motion or lifting things, people.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I wonder if she would have lived if the geniuses didn't try to roll it off of her.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

Given the video itself I suppose the other thing to remember about more heavy duty forklifts is that your rear end, no matter how fat, isn't going to hold down poo poo if the backend wants to go up.

That's what I don't get. Did they just not have ANY training? Do they not know that their piddly 300lbs hasn't got poo poo on a 2500 ton forklift.

christ. I'm gonna go do some chores and wait for my balls drop back out of my groin.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DiHK posted:

That's what I don't get. Did they just not have ANY training? Do they not know that their piddly 300lbs hasn't got poo poo on a 2500 ton forklift.

christ. I'm gonna go do some chores and wait for my balls drop back out of my groin.

I would like to see the forklift that weighs the same as a fletcher class destroyer

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FogHelmut posted:

You're not employed by the contractor and therefore are not subject to safety requirements.
Its usually the opposite. The legal precedents are that getting paid to work means there is a certain acknowledgement that part of your pay is literally for your health and well being due to subjecting yourself to any risks that remain even when following state of the art, while non-employees are both ignorant of any state of the art protections and are not transacting their health for money. The legal result being you probably won't see a dime outside your AD&D coverage if you're an employee crippled by a falling load where a non-employee will probably get an open and shut settlement unless the business disappears and you need to extract it out of the liquidated corpse of a fly by night construction contractor.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would like to see the forklift that weighs the same as a fletcher class destroyer

I'm gonna leave that typo. :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kibayasu posted:

Given the video itself I suppose the other thing to remember about more heavy duty forklifts is that your rear end, no matter how fat, isn't going to hold down poo poo if the backend wants to go up. Impossible to know what the counterweight in that lift actually was I guess (and it looked like a short but sudden drop of the front end played a part too) but the forklift I use was smaller than that one and has a 5,000 lb counterweight. Assuming they could even fit I could add maybe another fifth of that weight if every other employee we have around regularly climbed aboard. If a forklift is moving at all in literally any direction, whether that's a direction it should be moving in or not, there is basically nothing you can do to stop it..

Stay away from forklifts in motion or lifting things, people.

That weight is also why you don't gently caress with forklifts and stay in the driver's seat if it starts tipping. Whatever body part it falls on is getting turned to pulp.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

BORN INTO A PACK

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Killdozer remake looking good

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brutal divorce property division technique

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wait what is that chainsaw even for, other than murdering kaiju?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jet Jaguar posted:

parking violations

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jet Jaguar posted:

Trenching for utilities.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DiHK posted:

It's impossible to not sound like a dick saying this but given the language characters in the video date/time stamps I'd would say that its pretty likely no one involved had any proper training about forklifts beyond the lifting part at all.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think that most people without training simply don't have an appreciation of just how heavy forklifts are. I certainly didn't, I only figured it out in my previous job a few years back when I was walking through the warehouse at the end of the day and on a whim I stood with one foot in that little hole in the back of the counterweight. In my mind I was picturing there would be similar give to the back end of a car and I'd bounce off it and continue on my way. When I felt that thing refuse to move a millimeter I realised it was something I didn't ever want to gently caress around with at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grognan posted:

parking violations

Nah, for illegal parking you need stronger medicine

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://i.imgur.com/9nMZNPi.gifv

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kibayasu posted:

It's impossible to not sound like a dick saying this but given the language characters in the video date/time stamps I'd would say that its pretty likely no one involved had any proper training about forklifts beyond the lifting part at all.

Plus it's very easy to make stupid decisions in split-second situations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kennel posted:

Plus it's very easy to make stupid decisions in split-second situations.

Of course, I can hardly fault someone for something like that, but that's not the part I mean. Proper training for everyone there would have meant there wasn't anyone near that forklift, much less on the back of it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Anybody here whose facility doesn't have these projector lights on their forklifts, shake your EHS dudes by the collar until they get some. Best thing ever, I get a bright blue spot of approaching death on the floor 30' ahead in both directions

E: Also, I watched a truck driver almost kill himself this week by popping the dock lock with his brakes released and then running around the front of his runaway 18 wheeler to jump in the cab

... while I was dealing the aftermath of a 200KW air compressor electrical fire which turned into an explosion once the oil cooler melted

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Pretty nice idea there.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The projectors are just unbelievably effective, they were mandated for all moving equipment companywide before the first demo was even over. Scissor lifts, tuggers, all of it

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 15, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Spatial posted:

Pretty nice idea there.

I am going to show some people at work this. Could be very useful.

I think the “best part” of this is the apparent “Hey, is that a power line up there?” “Nah we’re good.” That likely occurred beforehand.

:nms::nms::nms:
https://youtu.be/1WUMNCjb_yk
REALLY REALLY :nms::nms: probably :nws:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
jesus loving christ

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Yeah I’ve never seen quite that much... incineration.

Also those guys do get “friends of the year” award when after a couple seconds they’re like “well nothing to see here better go home” and drive off.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just remember, a human body is considered a ground wire as well.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lime Tonics posted:

Just remember, a human body is considered a ground wire as well.

I’ve heard numbers between a couple thousand to as low as 250 ohms. Might not have been low enough to set off the protective relaying. (51G element or some other detection of current or voltage imbalance due to ground fault through that guy. Trying to think of how that would affect the phasors.) Also that’s for protecting the power system, not personnel safety.

I recall from the safety tables that the 50mA range is where you start to have things like VFIB, respiratory paralysis and general “can’t let go” problems. >1000mA is when you really start to get tissue burning. I would reason that this was significantly more than 1A of fault current.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 15, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
leads to the age old question of, which is safer,

A) an un-grounded extension cord

B) a grounded extension cord

C) an extension cord hooked to the panel under 3 rolls of electrical tape.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just regular Scotch Super 33 or do you have that really thick liner less or mastic packing tape under there too?

I was providing engineering guidance installing 13.8kV shielded cable-to-bus splices and we did not screw around with the taping.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 15, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
My love is a real estate agent. "This is why you get everything in writing, and hire licensed contractors" says she.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I am going to show some people at work this. Could be very useful.

I think the “best part” of this is the apparent “Hey, is that a power line up there?” “Nah we’re good.” That likely occurred beforehand.

:nms::nms::nms:
https://youtu.be/1WUMNCjb_yk
REALLY REALLY :nms::nms: probably :nws:

Did the other dude only recieve a minorish shock becuase his bud took most the current?

Reminds me of this thing thats going around
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eck-police-say/

Welp, cya

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Did the other dude only recieve a minorish shock becuase his bud took most the current?

That's covered in X-Treme Circuit Theory, Chapter 3: "Utter Baconization & Parallel Circuits".

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

Just regular Scotch Super 33 or do you have that really thick liner less or mastic packing tape under there too?

I was providing engineering guidance installing 13.8kV shielded cable-to-bus splices and we did not screw around with the taping.

The answer is cutting the cord, weilding one contact to a broken fuse end, the other contact to another broken fuse end, bodging it in, and making the current "normal" on a 99 cent volt meter from harbor freight.

based on a true story

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That reminds me: Here’s a little story about a “99-cent voltmeter”, a shopping mall’s 480V panelboard, and a double fatality and one survivor with burns.

http://www.ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

quote:

For reasons we will never know, after checking all three phases, he made a comment to the effect that something was not right — and returned to the center lug a second time. As he made this measurement, a fireball erupted from the panel, severely burning all three individuals and causing significant damage to the electrical equipment and surrounding area.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

Here’s a little story about a 99-cent voltmeter, a shopping mall’s 480V panelboard, and a double fatality and one survivor with burns.

http://www.ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

we shouldn't scare people away, electricity is safe, just carry a line tester!