Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I expect pick 19 to end up at Gold Coast, but maybe it’ll go to melbourne I suppose. I thought port was the more likely destination for watts. It seems pretty transparently a way to get Gold Coast good compensation for GAJ.

Edit: and I’m pretty sure it isn’t only based on the contract offered. There are other nebulous factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If we essentially trade Motlop for Gaj I'll be filthy. 34 year olds with busted shoulders are not worth the same as essentially healthy 26 year olds. I don't care if he was a champion.

I still think Motlop is a better player than Watts because Motlop has some inside game, but overall pick 19 to Melbourne for Watts seems pretty reasonable. Stringer can die in a fire.

Also Port have already picked up Motlop and Rockliff, can they even afford Watts right now?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t know, but Kochie friended watts on insta, so that seals it!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: Remember it's based on what the receiving club has offered as a contract. Maybe there's nothing wrong with the AFL system but perhaps Port are just paying him massive overs? Dale Thomas was worth an 11 partly because of the massive contract Carlton gave him.

AFL article says its a $2m 4 year deal. 500k per year hardly seems worthy of that compo. More so with the 20% cap increase.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Periphery posted:

AFL article says its a $2m 4 year deal. 500k per year hardly seems worthy of that compo. More so with the 20% cap increase.

Yeah freo got a band 3 for Mayne leaving on the same money. So there are other factors.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

Yeah freo got a band 3 for Mayne leaving on the same money. So there are other factors.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they factor in age age. But Mayne is only a year older than Motlop. :shrug:

E for clarity: Mayne was 27 (and 346 days as of today) last year. Motlop is 26 (216 days) this year.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's almost like the AFL uses it's deliberately loose systems to achieve whatever it outcome wants whenever it feels it is in the best financial interests of the league

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

It's almost like the AFL uses it's deliberately loose systems to achieve whatever it outcome wants whenever it feels it is in the best financial interests of the league Victorian teams

Can't argue with that.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The AFL probably just feels bad that they accidentally let Geelong trade away more first round picks than they were supposed to. Only fair that they get one back!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Testekill posted:

Because Barrett has hated the Bulldogs ever since Beveridge told him to gently caress off in a bathroom during the Talia saga. He never misses a chance to stick the boots in and will blatantly make up a narrative just to suit his agenda.

And you think Barrett doesn't like Essendon because he reported on the drugs saga, get over it.

Now Caro has weighed in too, unbelievable.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No, the AFL never stacks the deck, they're unceasingly equitable, and use just systems to ensure every team in the league receives the same fair outcome

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gay picnic defence posted:

Now Caro has weighed in too, unbelievable.

Caro is also really mad that we called her & footy classified out on them referring to the club being in crisis and Peter Gordon being power hungry when our most recent CEO left. You know, the guy who said from the outset that it was always going to be a temporary thing while we looked for someone better qualified.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I heard Peter Gordon ran over Caro’s cat and drove away laughing maniacally

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

thepokey posted:

I heard Peter Gordon ran over Caro’s cat and drove away laughing maniacally

Replace kinda with repeatedly, and cat with son.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So either the press are full of poo poo, and Motlop's salary of "approximately $2mill over 4 years" is actually $2.6mill+ over 4 years, or the AFL faked up the compo so that Geelong can make either the Ablett or Stringer feel good story happen.

Don't see the Suns being particularly changed in opinion by pick 19, given they still have 21, 24, 26, 37, and 39, they still want a senior player. Unless the AFL sends an edict down from on high of course, since they control the club right now.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Especially given the increase in the salary cap since mayne moved, yeah. Either Motlop is getting a lot more than reported or the afl has done something very dodge.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

thepokey posted:

I heard Malcolm Turnbull ran over Caro’s cat and drove away laughing maniacally

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

thepokey posted:

I heard Malcolm Turnbull strangled his ex girlfriend's cat and drove away laughing maniacally

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Again, Buddy Franklin, 10 million, age 26, pick 19.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

spamman posted:

Again, Buddy Franklin, 10 million, age 26, pick 19.

Hard to have a huge amount of sympathy for that given it was a result of you winning the flag and that you went on to win two more immediately tbh

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shmoses posted:

Hard to have a huge amount of sympathy for that given it was a result of you winning the flag and that you went on to win two more immediately tbh

It’s be okay if the AFL was transparent and said they took that kind of stuff into consideration, but their claim that it’s all based on some secret mathematical formula is just infuriating to all AFL supporters.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Spedman posted:

It’s be okay if the AFL was transparent and said they took that kind of stuff into consideration, but their claim that it’s all based on some secret mathematical formula is just infuriating to all AFL supporters.

Bingo.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Should just use Duckworth-Lewis to work it out.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Should just use Duckworth-Lewis to work it out.

I didn't know Billy Duckworth and Chris Lewis opened up a consultancy firm, but there you go.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tadhg Kennelly and Emma Freedman say that bird should have just kept her clothes on and none of this would have happened! Nice take, guys. Tadhg even reckons a suspension would be over the top. Yeah ok, never mind the legal trouble he might be in, missing a few afl games over this would be way too harsh!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Dunno who Emma freedman is but hopefully ABC find someone with a functioning brain for games in Sydney going forward.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
A channel 9 rising star, apparently.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The AFLW are yet to decide if a transgender player is eligible to be picked for next season. Hannah Mouncey is 27, 190cm, 100kg, and began her transition 2 years ago:

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/womens-afl/transgender-footballer-hannah-mouncey-nominates-for-aflw-draft-20171013-gz0a5e

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And the draft is in 3 days.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dunno who Emma freedman is but hopefully ABC find someone with a functioning brain for games in Sydney going forward.

Strangely she's not related to Mia Freedman

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Spedman posted:

The AFLW are yet to decide if a transgender player is eligible to be picked for next season. Hannah Mouncey is 27, 190cm, 100kg, and began her transition 2 years ago:

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/womens-afl/transgender-footballer-hannah-mouncey-nominates-for-aflw-draft-20171013-gz0a5e

oof

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Spedman posted:

Geez.... I'm not sure what my stance is. More power to her that she wants to play and she's transitioning but I kinda feel that 2 years transitioning may still be a little too soon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There isn't a sporting body that has an answer to that question yet

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

She meets the IOC testosterone level parameters (which the AFL recognises) and was playing in a registered womens comp already so it seems pretty simple to me? The AFL has policies in place for this, she meets the policies, it's just about whether the AFL is actually willing to stick to its procedure in the face of the inevitable idiocy from the Herald Sun and Sam Newman.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 15, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

She meets the IOC testosterone level parameters (which the AFL recognises) and was playing in a registered womens comp already so it seems pretty simple to me? The AFL has policies in place for this, she meets the policies, it's just about whether the AFL is actually willing to stick to its procedure in the face of the inevitable idiocy from the Herald Sun and Sam Newman.

Their decision will hinge on which option they predict will generate the least controversy, not to do with whether or not it is within their rules.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sam Newman is going to wear a dress and nominate for the draft imho

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sam Newman is going to wear a dress and nominate for the draft imho

It'll be funny if his old man testosterone levels mean that he's actually eligible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

It'll be funny if his old man testosterone levels mean that he's actually eligible.

It'd be funny if Perkins put him in hospital.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Testekill posted:

Geez.... I'm not sure what my stance is. More power to her that she wants to play and she's transitioning but I kinda feel that 2 years transitioning may still be a little too soon.

My wife who rowed at the top NCAA level for Berkeley and still does here competitively, felt that it just wouldn't be fair to the other athletes competing against a woman who still had a very masculine physique.

It's a really tough situation for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Yeah it's a really tough one because she is genuinely huge, would be huge even playing against men; to go into a competition where the average height is like 172cm is gonna be a huge advantage. Can't write off 15 years post-puberty of testosterone and training as completely irrelevant.

But, like has been said, testosterone levels are appropriate now, so if it had been a cisgendered female professional athlete that happened to be 200cm and 100kg, everyone would just be excited to have her on their team.

• Locked thread