Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/_youngkingdave/status/919380982591090695

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

like do they not realize they sound like ferengi when dudes say "females"

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I suspect they think the Ferengi are some kind of ideal to aspire to.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

rudatron posted:

anime is normal, Dad!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pfizerman posted:

It's not what you say it's how you say it

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Varkk posted:

I suspect they think the Ferengi are some kind of ideal to aspire to.

*aspires to crude 1930s jewish stereotype*
*also is actually a nazi*

fuckin weird times bro

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

A good friend of mine only ever calls women "females" in nearly every context.

She's army medical so that may have something to do with it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fat man’s heart seems to be in the right place, for however long it still holds up.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the ferengi are a great and mighty race

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/919377149315883008

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

we smokin big ol doinks respectfully

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yo if you got that loud and you not sharin it with the females, that's no respect fam. That's not respectful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weird thing is Ferengi were meant to be 'Yankee traders', counterparts to modern capitalists from the perspective of fully automated luxury gay space commies. Their name is even evocative of 'farang', a Thai (I think) word for Europeans. Though the treatment of women is more a mix of a lot of incredibly sexist societies in the world.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Weird thing is Ferengi were meant to be 'Yankee traders', counterparts to modern capitalists from the perspective of fully automated luxury gay space commies. Their name is even evocative of 'farang', a Thai (I think) word for Europeans. Though the treatment of women is more a mix of a lot of incredibly sexist societies in the world.
By coincidence I just watched the DS9 episode where Quark argues that hyuu-mans hate ferengi because they remind them of their own awful past, but ferengi have never done slavery and genocide and so on.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inescapable Duck posted:

yeah there are a bunch of languages (especially in central / southern Asia) with words like ferengi that have derivations from "Frank" (as in the French) or "foreigners" (who contextually were white europeans)

TNG's original approach with them was pretty crude and stupid, and it took DS9 to fix them (although the uncomfortable jewish stereotype aspect never went away). If you include the Ferengi then DS9 has got at least 3 different Jewish analogues

also this is one of the best scenes in DS9 and Trek as a whole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

Doctor Spaceman has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Oct 15, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DS9 has got at least 3 different Jewish analogues

if you mean the bajorans, they were the palestinians in that particular israel-palestine pastiche

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

zeal posted:

if you mean the bajorans, they were the palestinians in that particular israel-palestine pastiche

they're a bit of a mix, there's also WW2-era French and Jewish history in there too; the former with the collaborators and the resistance during the occupation, the latter with the concentration camps and the diaspora and the recent statehood backed by the federation

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I never thought of the Ferengi as Jewish stereotypes, but all I ever watched was TNG. I just though they were capitalists from the 80s or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Forget the Dominion and the Klingons or whatever, DS9 should have entirely been about the recovery from the occupation. Star Trek has such a problem focusing on the unique aspects of each individual show and makes a third of the episodes generic Star Trek episodes no matter what. Maybe Discovery will be different.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe Discovery will be different.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

pfizerman posted:

:females:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Yes, that's soviet, and if you couldn't tell, they are singing "We are coming, we are coming -we’ll exterminate the entire bourgeoisie”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i kill all of those fuckers in dark souls

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jose posted:

capitalist oppressor!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEFj1EcG60

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

frankenfreak posted:

(Mercy to the minds of those who get that reference.)

lol this revealed her as being functionally illiterate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

By coincidence I just watched the DS9 episode where Quark argues that hyuu-mans hate ferengi because they remind them of their own awful past, but ferengi have never done slavery and genocide and so on.

except for all of their :females: but that doesn’t count somehow

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's an anime lizard if there ever was one.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I mean, the Enlightenment happened.

It's true, but the idea was driven by devoutly religious people and was in many ways directly descended from religious thinking causes :smuggo: to just shout DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE

Then you hit 'em with the galaxy brain "Uh, how is an absolute good (science and truth) being opposed to absolute evil (religion, irrationality) not an idea that comes directly from religion?"

"And can you stop talking about Sir Issac Newton like he was a prophet of reason, dude loved alchemy and spent the middle part of his life trying to deduce the Apocalypse"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jose posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

the great elon musk who bought pre-existing technologies/companies and slapped his name on them.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the great elon musk who bought pre-existing technologies/companies and slapped his name on them.

elon “bought controlling interest in tesla and had them start calling him an ‘honorary founder’” musk

truly a great man whose finest accomplishment paypal is a critical part of society in star trek

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

DS9 has got at least 3 different Jewish analogues

Do the Vulcans count? They ended up with some Jewish influence, with the Vulcan Salute being based on a Jewish religious gesture.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

elon “bought controlling interest in tesla and had them start calling him an ‘honorary founder’” musk

truly a great man whose finest accomplishment paypal is a critical part of society in star trek

I'm sure it was put in because some exec was all "CULTURAL RELEVANCE!!"

We're lucky it wasn't Steve Jobs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

Do the Vulcans count? They ended up with some Jewish influence, with the Vulcan Salute being based on a Jewish religious gesture.

lol jj abrams immediately shoahed them

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Vulcans are Jewish because they're a bunch of nerds with bad haircuts and everyone keeps trying to kill them off

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

This scene made me wince.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rand alPaul posted:

This scene made me wince.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
lol at living in an utopian future and Elon musk is remembered in the same sentence as zefram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
elon musk will invent the transporter soon so obviously he has to be mentioned