Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

If you put the years 2015, 2016, and 2017 on those first three images I'd think that they were someones attempt to do the same drawing, finding a different way to suck at drawing with each passing year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (August 9, 11-12, 1930)

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the five hundred comics megathreads we've had, but in Percy Crosby's first Skippy novelization, Skippy's friend Sooky dies in an accident while gathering firewood from a building site at night. Crosby wasn't about to depict that in the comic, but Sooky did disappear from the strip and Skippy began writing copious letters to his dead friend ("When you used to be here, Sook...")

This strip got amazingly profound at times.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 5, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 5, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 5, 1986)

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm going to indulge in a little experiment here: I'm going to find out with the rest of you if Garfield was "ever good."

So, several months and many strips later, I've come to the conclusion that old Garfield is actually pretty good! It's lively, colorful, and observant. I almost feel like the tail ended up wagging the dog, so to speak; the cliches about Garfield ended up informing what the strip ended up becoming, which led us to today's Garf in 2017. But thirty-plus (!) years ago, it earned its popularity.

I realize this isn't the best Garfield alongside which to make this observation, but the past couple days made me genuinely laugh, so.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Intelligent Life

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Intelligent Life

Sweet. Now they won't have to touch at all. Best relationship ever.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set knows good deeds aren't their own reward.

Wait,.. I thought the Dinette Set cast were meant to be stupid?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Howard Beale posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the five hundred comics megathreads we've had, but in Percy Crosby's first Skippy novelization, Skippy's friend Sooky dies in an accident while gathering firewood from a building site at night. Crosby wasn't about to depict that in the comic, but Sooky did disappear from the strip and Skippy began writing copious letters to his dead friend ("When you used to be here, Sook...")

I didn't even know there were novels but I'll have to check those out. From what little I have gathered about Percy Crosby, he lived an interesting life and I find him fascinating. I like Skippy too but sometimes it's a bit too wordy for me.

Pastry of the Year posted:

So, several months and many strips later, I've come to the conclusion that old Garfield is actually pretty good! It's lively, colorful, and observant. I almost feel like the tail ended up wagging the dog, so to speak; the cliches about Garfield ended up informing what the strip ended up becoming, which led us to today's Garf in 2017. But thirty-plus (!) years ago, it earned its popularity.

I realize this isn't the best Garfield alongside which to make this observation, but the past couple days made me genuinely laugh, so.
I would actually describe it as "almost 40 years (!)" rather than "thirty-plus (!)" since next year is 40. I remember really liking the old Garfield collections as a kid, but that was a long time ago. These old ones you've been posting are better than what is out now, but I won't call them good or funny.

F Minus

Worth every penny.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This dance instructor is pretty intense.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is "Sometimes dishonest people sell things that are not what they claim they are in order to make money, and sometimes people fall for it" really that complicated a concept?

Flash Gordon Sundays July 1956

Once again, Flash saves the day by doing nothing.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 15, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The juxtaposition of the gigantic, attractive latino dance instructors cliches and the Mary Worth attractive blonde woman mooning over short squat bald fat nebbish bespectacled nerdlinger is cracking me up

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Howard Beale posted:

I would like to learn more about this, if you have any resources/information!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Telepathic Mole Man

Nancy

A "the joke is that he's a small child who shouldn't be expected to support himself but lives alone in poverty anyway" double header!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I just noticed how Guy's signature is all stylized and poo poo while Brad's is just BRAD

What is Brad up to anyway

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Looks like someone needs to learn to do batch processes in Photoshop!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 13, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (February 27, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (March 26, 1924)

Lil' Abner (November 25, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (March 29, 1923)

Alley Oop (June 28, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (June 24, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 7, 1933)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
This strip gains nothing by having Nancy there. For some reason, that frustrates me.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Have your children attended medical school? How exactly are they supposed to intuit that you're sick?

If somebody could Red and Rover this for me, that would be great. Is the joke that she accidentally washed his phone in the dishwasher? Did he, for some reason, select a ringtone that sounds like silverware falling on the floor? Is this a sex thing so kinky it passes beyond my comprehension?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Alterian posted:

Looks like someone needs to learn to do batch processes in Photoshop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

Have your children attended medical school? How exactly are they supposed to intuit that you're sick?

If somebody could Red and Rover this for me, that would be great. Is the joke that she accidentally washed his phone in the dishwasher? Did he, for some reason, select a ringtone that sounds like silverware falling on the floor? Is this a sex thing so kinky it passes beyond my comprehension?
I think it's #2, though #3 is always a possibility

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Arlo is getting old and senile.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus gently caress. He heard a noise, and asks if it was his phone making a noise.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Strontium posted:

This strip gains nothing by having Nancy there. For some reason, that frustrates me.

It does seem pretty lazy now that you mention it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Heh. The comic was kind of dancing around calling those men slaves, referring to this as a chance to start a new life helping their new tribe rebuild and soforth. But I think once you include human beings in your list of "spoils of war" and talk about whipping them into shape, you kind of lose your plausible deniability.

Don't worry, it turns out being a slave isn't all that bad!

Prince Valiant

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Julet Esqu posted:

“gently caress my horrible children for wanting to spend time with me!!”

Not sure whether Elly or the Tinkersons Mom is the worst mother ever (Tinkermom is probably beat because she’s not based on a real person (I hope))

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Tinkersons is Everybody Loves Raymond: The Comic. Everyone loving hates each other

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Yesterday's writer's commentary: "So, when I mentioned earlier that despite the current narrative Sally Forth would still be a humor comic, I should have added that would take a few days to happen."

Peanuts (October 18, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft, in which the promised annual chimney fire happens off-stage...you rotten bastards.

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs On Sunday (November 18 and 25, 1928)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

Don't worry, it turns out being a slave isn't all that bad!

Prince Valiant

The touches like referring to the Yinchu river or Kazakh Sea are one of the reasons I love this comic.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
days ago, but this made me laugh really loving hard

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

oh no, a Dustin where I can actually relate to the horrible daughter. Don't work in a print shop, folks, old people have no idea what file formats are. :(

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Baby Blues

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God shut the gently caress up Baldo's dad, you sanctimonious dick

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strontium posted:

Viivi & Wagner

A good V&W.

Haifisch posted:

Nancy

A "the joke is that he's a small child who shouldn't be expected to support himself but lives alone in poverty anyway" double header!
I'm really growing to loathe the :U reactions more than anything else in G&B Gilchrist-era Nancy.

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorms

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Don't doxx me, Hillary. (Although my name is not Fred.)

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker