Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
You know I think that sometimes we focus a bit too on easy targets in the usual places, so I want to mention this guy Mr Layman. I noticed a video about Rick and Morty where he details his problems with the show and one of those problems is.... Dan Harmon is too openly anti-nazi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PHnMWv3_c

He actually seems to do some research, but he's also one of those guys preoccupied with being the middle ground voice of reason between those crazy people on both side (ie, thanks to the overton window he pretty drat right), which is pretty obvious almost immediately from videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGbTqdYkYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uix3l8qzJDk

I really these hate videos here, especially the white privilege one (gently caress me, his examples of privileges for minorities are awful) and I think I could go a while without seeing 20 minute youtube videos hosted by some white guy with a stereo-typically 'intellectual' avatar with a top-hat or a suit.

Here's a response to Armored Skeptic that actually makes Skeptic seem like a nice fellow, almost:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHmaUVxWDk

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Falstaff posted:

Reagan was wracked with guilt for having sexual feelings for his wife, so the chances of him being unfaithful seem rather low to me.

IIRC, Lincoln wrote some very modest and loving things about his wife, though that might fall under the category of "doth protest too much," I dunno.
Lincoln may cheated on his wife on his wife but it wasn't with a woman :ssh:
Just come out already

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Paul Joseph Watsons obsession with "being counter-culture" is so weird. It's very telling listening to any criticism of culture he's made that he's concerned solely with being edgy and contrarian and that he thinks he deserves to be considered cool now but he's really angry that nobody thinks he is cool so he just yells at much cooler people about how uncool they are because a lot of people think they're cool.

I guess that's the basis of the whole alt-right white nerdosphere, though.

His criticisms of popular culture are the exact same poo poo that old white right-wingers have been screaming fruitlessly for years. 'Modern Art doesn't mean anything', 'Music was better back in my day', 'Womens' sports are worthless' etc etc.

PJW is essentially some tragically uncool Youth Pastor trying to sell seriously outdated ideas to people who do not care, though while the pastor probably has good intentions Peej is just a loving rear end in a top hat shut-in who eats paper.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Paul Joseph Watsons obsession with "being counter-culture" is so weird. It's very telling listening to any criticism of culture he's made that he's concerned solely with being edgy and contrarian and that he thinks he deserves to be considered cool now but he's really angry that nobody thinks he is cool so he just yells at much cooler people about how uncool they are because a lot of people think they're cool.

I guess that's the basis of the whole alt-right white nerdosphere, though.

Contrarianism is the defining ethos of the alt-right, more than racism, more than sexism, it's a vain desire to shout "nuh uh" in the face of a society that is becoming more and more socially liberal. It's the rebellion they care about more than the spirit of the rebellion, which you see in all these "conservative is the new punk" memes. These people would be tankies in another time. They're a side-effect of American Individualism's constant assertion that "maybe everyone else is wrong, and I'm the brave, lone innovator". It's an incredibly flattering way of viewing oneself and an easy trap to fall into for young men like PJW who have no social prospects and essentially no future.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Has anyone heard of Peter Coffin? I just found this video of his on the whole Szechuan sauce thing and what it says about fandoms. I though it was pretty good.

Szechuan Sauce and Cultivated Identity-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHurovzyEWo

Last thing I ever watched from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffZgq3yvB0

Will have to check out the newer stuff.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fallenturtle posted:

I think Green is still fairly liberal, but seems to fallen for the "if a couple of feminist are irrational, then all feminists are irrational" and now she's friends with the anti-SJW crowd which in turn led to her being verbally harassed online which in turn cemented her beliefs further. I think Boogie is also relatively liberal, but tends to keep is politics to himself. Both of them value "can't we all just get along" over politics, especially Boogie.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/060.html

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Second vid from the Alt-Right Playbook series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPgDQkmqqM

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huzanko posted:

Last thing I ever watched from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffZgq3yvB0

Will have to check out the newer stuff.

The only entertainment I derive out of Youtube comments is sorting by date to see just how many people still feel the need to get some hot takes in on a 3 year old video.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

You know I think that sometimes we focus a bit too on easy targets in the usual places, so I want to mention this guy Mr Layman. I noticed a video about Rick and Morty where he details his problems with the show and one of those problems is.... Dan Harmon is too openly anti-nazi?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93PHnMWv3_c

He actually seems to do some research, but he's also one of those guys preoccupied with being the middle ground voice of reason between those crazy people on both side (ie, thanks to the overton window he pretty drat right), which is pretty obvious almost immediately from videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCGbTqdYkYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uix3l8qzJDk

I got about twelve seconds in before I turned it off so that I could go find a nerd to give a swirly to. Goddamn, how do you reach adulthood and still speak with the cadence of a breathless, giggling child?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I got about twelve seconds in before I turned it off so that I could go find a nerd to give a swirly to. Goddamn, how do you reach adulthood and still speak with the cadence of a breathless, giggling child?

It’s like if there was a cartoon child version of Ringo Starr. I’m assuming he has a blonde bowl cut and wears a striped polo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Why do these alt-right fuckos keep shoving themselves into comically idealised ultra-masculine cartoons to give their views? Follow-up question, why are they always swole Slenderman?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Somfin posted:

Follow-up question, why are they always swole Slenderman?

I wouldn't be surprised if it came more from channer idiots than slenderman ripoffs, the old/original "anonymous" face having been.

/

Pretty much a perfect template for the embarrassing avatars and monikers these guys use now.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Somfin posted:

Why do these alt-right fuckos keep shoving themselves into comically idealised ultra-masculine cartoons to give their views? Follow-up question, why are they always swole Slenderman?

Because toxic masculinity. No seriously. They're cartoons, because cartoons are easy to draw and harder to gently caress up (comparatively). They're ultra masculine because, in the sub-conscious mind of these individuals, while they reject the idea that masculine privilege is a thing, they instinctively know that you're more likely to listen to someone ultra masculine than the skinny, ragged person they probably are (the fact that its male bit is just based on them). Also it represents an idealised version of them, because that's how they want to see themselves/their ego sees them. And as for why they're always Slenderman? well, for the same reason as the Greendale human, a throwaway gag from community, where a community college tries to make a mascot inoffensive and comprising of all genders, races nationalities and sexualities. The end result is basically a human-sized slenderman because it's entirely neutral. The alt-right, especially on Youtube, tries to put forward the idea that they are 'rational' or neutral, representing both sides. It gives them more leeway to comment on race-based issues without seeming like a white person talking down to black people while dogwhistling.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The skull motif is way more popular than slenderman.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
does anyone know about this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhnfs2lg5CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviIsMUTV-8

who the gently caress is this guy?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fututor Magnus posted:

does anyone know about this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhnfs2lg5CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nviIsMUTV-8

who the gently caress is this guy?

Another soft voiced dipshit who would be murdered were the right to actually 'win'.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Somfin posted:

There's also Aydin Paladin, whose avatar looks like she heard the "cool girl" speech from Gone Girl and didn't realize it was a criticism.

Here are her videos on "Lefty Pedo Advocacy!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iOyOGsWrOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEETweYMyI

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
33 minutes each, god drat. one of the things that bugs me as an Old Millenial is who the gently caress has the time to sit around listening to someone babble about dumb bullshit for half an hour? i can spend that much time watching something but it better be something more entertaining that some randomb dumbass pontificating. it's probably just different standards

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

boner confessor posted:

33 minutes each, god drat. one of the things that bugs me as an Old Millenial is who the gently caress has the time to sit around listening to someone babble about dumb bullshit for half an hour? i can spend that much time watching something but it better be something more entertaining that some randomb dumbass pontificating. it's probably just different standards

You do other things while you have it running in the background is the secret.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MiddleOne posted:

You do other things while you have it running in the background is the secret.

this is still unsatisfying, because then the idea is i'm half-assing listening to some dumbass pontificate about random bullshit. it's like listening to a child crying at a low volume in the background of whatever else i'm doing. altho that does explain the low standards legitimate consumers of this kind of media seem to have

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You've never listened to the radio or a podcast while travelling or doing housework or whatever?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You've never listened to the radio or a podcast while travelling or doing housework or whatever?

sure, but it's been usually something i can listen to mindlessly which is the baffling part about listening to a random person's lovely opinions and hate speech. you either pay attention to those because you care about the message, or you aren't listening to it really which is like just sitting on the bus with a schizophrenic rambling person. like if it was rush limbaugh i'd get it because he at least is a good entertainer while validating your preconstructed worldview, but then just some internet rando regurgitating half baked conspiracy theories, i have trouble putting myself into the mindset of someone desperate or loony enough to think "ah yes, the liberal pizzagate hour is the thing i should put on while vacuuming my basement lair"

there's a particular combination of low production values, low ratio of content to noise, and low value of personal time necessary to select this kind of video that i can't grasp really. it's like choosing to listen to an audio feed of dogs barking at the local kennel

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

boner confessor posted:

this is still unsatisfying, because then the idea is i'm half-assing listening to some dumbass pontificate about random bullshit. it's like listening to a child crying at a low volume in the background of whatever else i'm doing. altho that does explain the low standards legitimate consumers of this kind of media seem to have

This is literally what they do. After a while it goes straight to the subconscious lol.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FantasticExtrusion posted:

This is literally what they do. After a while it goes straight to the subconscious lol.

Wow. To think that brainwashing was once seen as a torture. Now's it's been embraced as entertainment!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

Wow. To think that brainwashing was once seen as a torture. Now's it's been embraced as entertainment!

Well I still think of this thread as torture, anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

i have trouble putting myself into the mindset of someone desperate or loony enough to think "ah yes, the liberal pizzagate hour is the thing i should put on while vacuuming my basement lair"
They probably listen to it instead of vacuuming.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

boner confessor posted:

I’d gladly watch a 30 minute Vsauce, CGP Grey, or Kurszgesagt video. Editorials and opinion pieces? No thanks. You’re just long winded.

One of the things I’ve learned, as a scientist, is to respect the needs of your audience. We all have limited time, both to ingest the content and to understand the context behind it. Your argument doesn’t need to be presented at a 10th grade level, but you should be as succinct as possible while ensuring all important concepts are operationally defined. Alt-right YouTube shouty persons often do neither: they post long winded, unfocused, poorly scripted, and poorly edited videos ranting about ill-defined concepts.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JVNO posted:

I’d gladly watch a 30 minute Vsauce, CGP Grey, or Kurszgesagt video. Editorials and opinion pieces? No thanks. You’re just long winded.

One of the things I’ve learned, as a scientist, is to respect the needs of your audience. We all have limited time, both to ingest the content and to understand the context behind it. Your argument doesn’t need to be presented at a 10th grade level, but you should be as succinct as possible while ensuring all important concepts are operationally defined. Alt-right YouTube shouty persons often do neither: they post long winded, unfocused, poorly scripted, and poorly edited videos ranting about ill-defined concepts.

It doesn't help that Youtube's algorithm seems to value video length above all else, which incentivizes insanely long videos..

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JVNO posted:

video is a terrible way to communicate a lecture though. you have to consume it at a fixed speed. texts can be read at variable speed, skimmed, you can go back and reread important bits, etc. all much easier than video

if you're trying to communicate something via video and you're not explicitly leveraging the visual medium then it's the wrong medium. like writing long assed essays on twitter two sentences at a time. if this is what the audience demands, then the audience is demanding something dumb

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

boner confessor posted:

video is a terrible way to communicate a lecture though. you have to consume it at a fixed speed. texts can be read at variable speed, skimmed, you can go back and reread important bits, etc. all much easier than video

if you're trying to communicate something via video and you're not explicitly leveraging the visual medium then it's the wrong medium. like writing long assed essays on twitter two sentences at a time. if this is what the audience demands, then the audience is demanding something dumb

AKA why Upworthy sucked. The Sargons of the world have the advantage of completing a ritual invocation of white-boy grievances the audience knows in advance, so they just need to do the familiar chants at home and don’t really need to pay attention.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mr Interweb posted:

It doesn't help that Youtube's algorithm seems to value video length above all else, which incentivizes insanely long videos..

Yeah my recommendations are rapidly filling up with 45 minute lectures by leftists named David, with occasional short videos by Alex the Honking Bird interspersed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

Uh, a video lecture is a lecture with a pause button and a question archive at the bottom.

It is quite possibly the best way to deliver a lecture.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

We've had the ability to rewind for decades, dude.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, a video lecture is a lecture with a pause button and a question archive at the bottom.

They can be improved if you have more slides as actual graphical elements multimedia style, rather than just pointing the camera at the whiteboard, and less PJW, always less PJW.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

We've had the ability to rewind for decades, dude.

*scrubs back at various spots for a few minutes trying to find the exact bit of speech*

also, i think i've discovered why you appear to have poor reading comprehension lol

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, obviously lectures would be improved by the level of discourse in YouTube comments, but we can go even more interactive than that. Twitch Gets a Sociology Degree.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

boner confessor posted:

*scrubs back at various spots for a few minutes trying to find the exact bit of speech*

also, i think i've discovered why you appear to have poor reading comprehension lol

If you click on the three dots icon that's near the vote up and down buttons you can choose "open transcript" for a time coded script. Clicking on a bit of the script in the view will jump the video to that point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

boner confessor posted:

Good lectures on serious subjects can use timestamps to build an index.

That's not applicable to these guys though, because it would just be [00:00]Introduction [01:15]Logical Fallacies [01:45]Erroneous casting of blame on feminists. [15:12]And immigrants. [24:15]Begging for Hatreon dollars.

e: ^^^ That too, but that relies on you putting in an accurate transcript, otherwise it's going to try to do voice recognition on The Golden One or West Country Racist.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 16, 2017

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh. The adpocalypse happened so I don't think anyone who's not a YouTube-approved-partner is making good money anymore, but it might be worth a tiny bit of explanation here.

Youtube used to prioritize engagement with ads, and this is generally how most places feel about ads. Longer videos could have more ads. The longer someone views a video with several ad breaks, the idea is that this is a person who sits through ads so they're a more valuable customer (even if they don't click ads, brand awareness is a thing like everyone reading this probably knows Tide even if they don't know Gain). On the old system, then, someone like Eli the Computer Guy would have 2.5hour videos that weren't much more than talking directly to camera and reading his sponsors (literally) off a clipboard. That made him a crapton of money, and you can dig up videos where he talked about how the quality of his viewers meant his sponsors (be it YouTube or whoever) were making way more money with viewers who would engage for an hour plus, so he was making a crapton of money.

TLDR: Ad places want someone who will go to the sponsor's site and actually learn about the product or buy something, not just some window shopping jerk-off who spends five seconds laughing at a cat then clicks off. Long view time = money.

Post-adpocalypse, YouTube ads no longer works that way. A lot of people have pointed out that YouTube for some reason can't manage to segregate its ad audiences to suit the risk of the videos. For instance, Disney doesn't want to put their ads on video of ISIS decapitating people. But, Red Bull might not give a poo poo, and the NRA would probably love to buy up ad space on those sorts of videos for all kinds of demographic reasons. So instead of figuring out those tiers, YouTube is just removing ad revenue from anyone who posts "bad" content, so they only incentivize "good" content. They might demonetize someone reporting about a car bomb in Afghanistan, that's too controversial for Disney. A lovely "elders react" video, no problem- even though lots of sponsors don't want to advertise to that demographic.

TLDR: Youtube now only incentivizes people to make non-controversial videos, unless they decide to become a paid partner. This is why The Young Turks can still make money talking about the exact same subject that someone totally inoffensive like Phil DeFranco would get demonetized for.

So the scene isn't what it once was, and the financial system has stopped favoring long-form discussions. We're going to see less of those, even if there are a few holdovers whose fans have come to expect this content and they can still get it funded on Patreon.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And this. Pre-ad-pocalypse, someone releasing a 5-hour discussion of philosophy was a potential money-maker. You could serve a hell of a lot of ads on that puppy, and people would just put in on in the background while they did other things. Lots of content producers got used to long-form discursive styles, call-in shows, Skype chats with guests, and so on. Regardless of how lovely you think they average YouTube star is, I bet you can find some really kickass long-form discussions about your favored topic of interest because this was a big trend in recent history. Want to have a 12-part, 2-hour-apiece breakdown of Nietzsche for your commute? YouTube is one of your best bets.

Huzanko posted:

Second vid from the Alt-Right Playbook series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPgDQkmqqM

So we start off talking about a political candidate who's actively covered up sexual assault and rape charges and how the other political party ignore these heinous crimes and cover them up saying they don't matter or we need to focus on more important matters... and the worst part is she's running against Donald Trump!

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was under the impression TYT wasn't making those sweet ad bucks anymore, either. Which is why they're constantly begging for money.

Also, idk if anyone here is aware of "Bunty King" on Twitter. But he's a big time useful idiot for Nazis, etc. Destiny got him on to talk for two hours. And he's worse than I imagined. The best stuff is in the first half hour, but it's all "gold" as far as this thread is concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvT44vgiRn0

• Locked thread