Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Homemade Spam is the best for musubi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The important thing about Spam is that it is incredibly, incredibly salty so if you actually work your rear end off, it tastes amazing. Like poutine.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
wait, does working out a lot make salty food taste better?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Working out makes every food taste better.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Two pieces of spam is fine. Anymore than that and it becomes unbearable

I feel the same way about anchovi pizza although I'd limit that to one slice. Just extremely salty flavor that just starts to overwhelm your senses but can be alright in smaller quantities

Spam is really good with eggs as a hangover food

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My dad used to eat spam right out of the can with a spoon

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel the same way about anchovi pizza although I'd limit that to one slice. Just extremely salty flavor that just starts to overwhelm your senses but can be alright in smaller quantities

Anchovies and pineapple. I poo poo you not, the balance is perfect and it will change your loving life.

Mu Zeta posted:

My dad used to eat spam right out of the can with a spoon

my childhood nickname was "spam" because my dad fed me in exactly this way when my mom had to leave town for a while

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

The important thing about Spam is that it is incredibly, incredibly salty so if you actually work your rear end off, it tastes amazing. Like poutine.

Spam Lite has about 400 fewer calories per can and isn't as salty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spam is gross. I'd threaten to fight you over this but the salt and cholesterol crawling through your arteries would turn it from a beat down into a straight up murder.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Spam has it's place but it's not something you should have at every meal.

like nachos.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Unfortunately Spam was responsible for saving a lot of starving people after WW2 so it has tons of nostalgia and is embedded in many cultures so it will never go away. People might as well just eat salt licks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Spam has it's place

Like the floor where you can eat it like an animal you piece of poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Spam Lite has about 400 fewer calories per can and isn't as salty.

Won't touch that girly "light" stuff until they introduce man's man's Spam Maxxx

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Spam has it's place but it's not something you should have at every meal.

like nachos.

What about nachos + spam together

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

steinrokkan posted:

Won't touch that girly "light" stuff until they introduce man's man's Spam Maxxx

Spam Ten

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Spam has been the go-to pop culture punchline for "crappy processed food" for as long as I've been alive, but at this point I'll bet it doesn't even rank as one of the unhealthiest things you can eat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

Spam has been the go-to pop culture punchline for "crappy processed food" for as long as I've been alive, but at this point I'll bet it doesn't even rank as one of the unhealthiest things you can eat.

Also real Spam is actually relatively high quality and uses decent meat. A lot of its bad reputation comes from cheap clones during and around WW2 that used stuff like pig cheeks to pad it out.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sir Lemming posted:

Agreed, I think the main reason it gets so much poo poo is the way it's a 'loaf', obviously compressed trimmings pressed into a can-shaped object. I doubt it's a whole lot worse than bacon or most sausage, and it -has- to be healthier than chorizo, which I love but is the most unbelievably greasy thing I've ever cooked.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I've never knowingly tried spam and I saw the other day that the import section at a nearby supermarket has a shelf with like ten different varieties of it now. My only familiarity with it is that people joke about how lovely it is but I'm still tempted to go get the stuff that has jalapenos in it, I bet it'd kick rear end with some emmental and baked beans on wholemeal toast

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just buy any canned luncheon meat, Spam is going to be the same thing, just probably slightly better.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spam Lite is a pretty decent quick meal with hot sauce. Chop it up, fry it with whatever you want to throw in the pan (or just the Spam by itself), and douse it in something like Tabasco. Not as insanely fattening as a whole can of regular Spam and there's no obscene saltiness.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Spam cannot be Described, it can only be Experienced.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It is the saltiest ham imaginable. Like ham-flavored chewy salt.

When mixed with a lot of other bland ingredients, such as scrambled eggs, rice, or applesauce it is ok in small amounts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

chitoryu12 posted:

Also real Spam is actually relatively high quality and uses decent meat. A lot of its bad reputation comes from cheap clones during and around WW2 that used stuff like pig cheeks to pad it out.

Pig cheeks own

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Suddenly thinking it's the American version of Vegemite in being a ridiculously salty food that's an acquired taste and stupidly popular in some areas, and best when properly prepared.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CommonShore posted:

Pig cheeks own

But enough about your mother

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Suddenly thinking it's the American version of Vegemite in being a ridiculously salty food that's an acquired taste and stupidly popular in some areas, and best when properly prepared.

It's a brand of a kind of processed meat product that is extremely common in all regions of the globe.

Vegemite / Marmite are disgusting, absurd concoctions invented by a demented mind.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Trig Discipline posted:

Spam is a huge thing on a bunch of pacific islands, it's a weird holdover from WWII. I'll totally eat the heck out of a spam musubi, but they're just not common here. Which is weird, because spam itself is quite popular.

This stuff is extremely popular on Pacific islands more closely associated with Australia/New Zealand

I used to work at a food wholesaler and we'd sell pallets of the disgusting stuff - if you read the side of the can the nutrition information didn't look too bad but it was based off an unrealistically tiny serving size

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Pork cheek is possibly the best part of the pig though??

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sir Lemming posted:

My girlfriends sibling once tried to tell me instant ramen was horrible for me (and it is) while stuffing a quesarito down her face. Turns out it's like 2 1/2 packs of ramen to equal one quesarito in everything but sodium

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if pork cheek is anything like beef cheek it's the good lord's gift to meat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

This stuff is extremely popular on Pacific islands more closely associated with Australia/New Zealand

I used to work at a food wholesaler and we'd sell pallets of the disgusting stuff - if you read the side of the can the nutrition information didn't look too bad but it was based off an unrealistically tiny serving size

Ha! Corned beef is all over Okinawa, but I don't recall ever seeing it in Guam or Hawaii. I'd wondered why that was the case. I actually eat it for breakfast sometimes, served over some grilled onigiri with hot sauce.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Big Word posted:

I've never knowingly tried spam and I saw the other day that the import section at a nearby supermarket has a shelf with like ten different varieties of it now. My only familiarity with it is that people joke about how lovely it is but I'm still tempted to go get the stuff that has jalapenos in it, I bet it'd kick rear end with some emmental and baked beans on wholemeal toast

the jalapeno spam is good, I pretty much only use that when I make spam and eggs with salsa and it comes out good as hell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

the old ceremony posted:

if pork cheek is anything like beef cheek it's the good lord's gift to meat

Pork cheek is insanely good. I was at a restaurant where they had an "unusual meats" appetiser plate and one of the things on it was rolled pork cheek fried in marrow.

It was salty buttery orgasm fuel.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Ha! Corned beef is all over Okinawa, but I don't recall ever seeing it in Guam or Hawaii. I'd wondered why that was the case. I actually eat it for breakfast sometimes, served over some grilled onigiri with hot sauce.

I eat corned beef hash for breakfast almost weekly, but none of it is from a can.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just feel weird buying it in bottles though.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I seem to remember that in Korea, Spam is a high-end luxury food.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I normally love the poo poo out of salty foods, sometimes fry up country ham unblanched, but spam is just beyond the pale with how salty it tastes. The only way I usually eat it is to make Spam fried rice, a preparation which the saltiness isn't too overwhelming. But the other day my wife was out of town and I decided I really needed a Spam, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich and oh baby that was unbelievably salty.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The only way I can deal with it's saltiness is to dice it into small cubes, pan fry it without additional oil and mix it with eggs, potatoes, etc - foods that are usually salted. It's nice to have a can around when I'm out of fresh/frozen meat and am craving protein, but Jesus, I can't imagine eating it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Dumb Marketing Moves: We just talk about spam now