Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I made these today, and I'm quite proud of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moriatti posted:

So I made these today, and I'm quite proud of them.

more rpg sessions need Pop-O-Matic technology.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

EDIT: I misread.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 11, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SInce when was King Hassan in Final Fantasy XV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgrk45stO5A

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

KittyEmpress posted:

Your complaint about the capstone being shut down by Earth Stance is interesting because it's actually one of the few ways to kick someone out of earth stance without having to stab through their hp. Between way of the crane and the capstone, you can easily inflict maiming injuries and damage their Earth ring on your first action with no penalty. Even permanently. They are probably the strongest 1v1 bushi still, but only once they get that capstone.

The capstone suffers tremendously from there being just a normal-rear end rank 3 kata that lets you auto-crit already. That's basically the problem with the Kakita. Their initial kata is useless to them, their initial school ability makes their crits better but gives them no way to actually MAKE those crits - and in fact, their kata doesn't crit if you want to use it - and their final rank 6 ability is just Heart Piercing Strike with a move component three levels after the fact. They have nothing unique.

EDIT: The actual best duelists are not Shiba, sorry - it's the Ikoma. Remember, dueling is all about strain management.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 11, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Reminds me of a very dumb DnD3.5 build.

Moriatti posted:

Brb, gonna build this

Iaijutsu Focus is a skill from Oriental Adventures that lets you add damage to a melee attack if you've just drawn the weapon, and if the target is flat-footed.

The damage is based on rolling your Iaijutsu Focus skill, and works out to something like +1d6 with a minimum check of 10, with another 1d6 every +5 to the check, up to a maximum of +9d6 with a skill check of 50+.

You want to be a Factotum because all skills are class skills for them, including (retroactively) Iaijutsu Focus. What's more, you can use their Cunning Insight ability to boost your Iaijutsu Focus checks (once a day).

By Factotum level 8, you should have met all the requirements to take the Iaijutsu Master prestige class: +6 BAB, 9 ranks in Iaijutsu Focus, and the Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, and Weapon Focus (Katana) feats.

(Improved Initiative and Quick Draw are must have feats for this build anyway - Imp Init so that you can go first, since the target needs to be flat-footed for your Iaijutsu to work, and Quick Draw so you can actually draw a weapon as a free action)

The Iaijutsu Master lets you add your Cha and Dex to your initiative, and lets you add your Cha modifier to every extra damage die from Iaijutsu Focus.

If I'm not mistaken, in practice this build either had to rely on killing their targets in a single massive attack, or using the Gnomish Quickrazor from Races of Stone to have a weapon that could be sheathed and resheathed as a Free Action. The bag of weapons didn't really work because all those weapons would be unenchanted, which meant you'd have a much harder time hitting enemies (unless you were also given a loophole that let you have a bag full of +2/+3 swords)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's less retroactive and more that the designers of the Factotum didn't scour every previously published book for weird skills. The Factotum came out six years after Oriental Adventures, after all.

As for a "loophole" to have a bag full of magic weapons, that's what Chain Spell Greater Magic Weapon is for.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

SInce when was King Hassan in Final Fantasy XV?

He's the bad guy in the newest FF14 expansion.

I was waiting for someone to post this and I'm surprised it took so long. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

You can tell this guy is a lefty.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Uhh, Oriental Adventures is D&D 3.0, Dungeonscape is D&D 3.5, stop mixing completely different rulesets. :mad:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Uhh, Oriental Adventures is D&D 3.0, Dungeonscape is D&D 3.5, stop mixing completely different rulesets. :mad:

Oriental Adventures was updated in the 3.5 conversion guide.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wasn't there going to be some official supplement for D&D 5e that was (supposed to be) really neat written by a goon or goon's friend coming out? anyone know what I'm thinking of?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The official rule is that the only time 3.0 material is not considered valid 3.5 material is if it was officially updated in a 3.5 book. So either a book was updated (OA got an update in a Dragon Magazine which didn't really change much) or it's valid as is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

:thejoke:

I was being facetious; it's not like combining the two will break 3.5 that much more than it's already broken anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Good news Boardgoons

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/settlers-of-catan-movie-sony-1202587485/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

does "good" have some sort of opposite meaning in brazil

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

does "good" have some sort of opposite meaning in brazil

The screenplayer writing credits: The Ugly Dolls (tm) movie, The Playmobil (tm) movie, a comedy short.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just so tired of all these Settlers of Catan

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
frankly, same

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

A bunch of gangsters play Catan and end up killing each other over it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just imagine Jason Statham talking about how we need more wool to build this city.

loving golden age of cinema amirite.

I assume this is an elaborate plot to make the D&D movie seem good by retroactive comparison.

(PS that movie sucked but Jeremy Irons unhinging his jaw like a snake to eat every piece of scenery is still hilarious and I don't regret the 8 dollars or whatever 14 year old me paid to see that poo poo show. loving hilarious. )

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse

slides two sheep across the table

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up, discussing some of the ideas that have been kicked around for a 4th class slate.

Basically, this is a lot of words to say "people want this stuff in the game, probably, but I don't know what to do with it :shrug:"
If anyone out there has any advice/suggestions, I'm hoping this post will help generate some discussion :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsieurChoc posted:

A bunch of gangsters play Catan and end up killing each other over it.
I'd genuinely enjoy a settlers or monopoly film where it's a family/group of friends playing and the game acts as a catalyst for their unspoken conflicts and grievances to destroy them.

"Two sheep for a wool? He hosed you hard in that deal."
"Not as hard as he hosed you in Vegas YES I KNEW I ALWAYS KNEW"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Splicer posted:

I'd genuinely enjoy a settlers or monopoly film where it's a family/group of friends playing and the game acts as a catalyst for their unspoken conflicts and grievances to destroy them.

"Two sheep for a wool? He hosed you hard in that deal."
"Not as hard as he hosed you in Vegas YES I KNEW I ALWAYS KNEW"

Isn't that just the normie version of those THE GAMERZ: DORKNESS RISING car crashes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

This is literally the plot of Jumanji and Zathura

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is literally the plot of Jumanji and Zathura
We have very different memories of those films.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw a new product today: Magic the Gathering Duel Decks, which are a pack of two 60-card decks intended to be played against each other.

The idea was so good I was kinda floored. It seems perfect to bring these along to play pickup games with my nerdy friends that understand MTG, but don't get heavily into it because of the cost of the hobby as a whole.

Is it? Would you consider this a buy as a sort of self-contained toy?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a new product today: Magic the Gathering Duel Decks, which are a pack of two 60-card decks intended to be played against each other.

The idea was so good I was kinda floored. It seems perfect to bring these along to play pickup games with my nerdy friends that understand MTG, but don't get heavily into it because of the cost of the hobby as a whole.

Duel Decks are pretty fun and self-contained. I've got several of them that I keep around to treat as a standalone game. They've been releasing them for quite a few years now, and the older ones can be very expensive but most of the newer ones are like $20.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Haha, holy poo poo, the new stupid newbie avatar is :10bux: generator.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

As Cinnamon Bear mentions, they've been releasing those for years, I own at least two sets, Jace vs Chandra, and Angels vs Demons

Actually that would be a fun format, where you can only use the pre made decks(plus maybe a small pool of extra cards from that deck's specific block and core set to allow some small measure of customization), obviously this format would be open to all eras of the game that had proper pre constructed decks(for the early blocks where they didn't, maybe make up some decks for them)

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
One thing that I'm always curious about regarding the duel decks is, how format friendly are they?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Infinite Oregano posted:

One thing that I'm always curious about regarding the duel decks is, how format friendly are they?

Not at all. They're a mixture of cards from every legality. They're pretty much designed to be played together and that's it. Sometimes people buy them for particular cards though, there was a special Terese Nielsen rerelease of Mother of Runes in one of them like last year that was pretty popular, for example.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I bought a duel deck once and it was easy to use to get people who don't really play to try out the game. Taking away the pressure of building a deck is good, and it seems like most of them are designed to show you how certain combos and interactions work. I think I used Speed vs Cunning and it had a little foldout of quick rules for each deck that taught my friend how to use instants to counter sorceries.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They're also typically awfully balanced in favor of one of the decks in my experience.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I always liked the more gimmicky MtG format stuff, like archenemy and planechase. I know they just put out a new archenemy deck, which contains four premade decks, so I'm glad they're keeping that alive. Their prefab commander/edh decks are nice, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was a fan of the like 5 color introduction box set of decks. They all sucked and you had enough each game people would rotate so youd never feel stuck with whatever the shittiest one was.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It's a little more expensive, but I favor the Commander products for "decks I will leave alone and use as a stand-alone product." There's a lot of randomness that tends to help out with the inevitable balance issues that will pop up, and they're usually designed for multiplayer which is also nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
WotC is more comfortable loading the commander decks with "good" cards, it seems, since you're restricted to only having one of any given card in a deck anyway. If someone craved an old card thrown in there with new art, they'd have to buy multiple copies of the deck to play in any other format anyhow.

• Locked thread