Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Hoodwinker posted:

...You can only set up a Solo 401k if you're self-employed. ...

This reminds me of a plan I've had trouble researching.

My 403b contributions through are limited to a set percentage of my salary by my employer, so I can't max out the contribution. But, I picked up a side job as an adjunct professor. Unfortunately, the school doesn't offer a 401k for adjuncts, but could adjuncting qualify as self-employment for making my own 401k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Giant Metal Robot posted:

My 403b contributions through are limited to a set percentage of my salary by my employer, so I can't max out the contribution. But, I picked up a side job as an adjunct professor. Unfortunately, the school doesn't offer a 401k for adjuncts, but could adjuncting qualify as self-employment for making my own 401k?
I suck at Solo 401k so somebody else would have to weigh in. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of being a 1099 or if you have to be drawing income from your own personal business/company.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Hoodwinker posted:

2. IRA up to max. (Roth in your case since you're above the Traditional deduction limit, unless you contribute the full $18k to your 401k to get below $62k taxable income)

For ROTH IRA, is the after tax calculated right away and removed from the principal sum or is this something I file for at the end of the year in my tax filings?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 12, 2017

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

If you are paid on a 1099 then you can use that income to fund a solo 401k. You are a sole proprietor small professional business of contracted teaching services. Various brokers will open and administer a solo 401k for you, I use TD Ameritrade just as an example. You must calculate your maximum deferral with a worksheet on IRS Form 560 which is filed with your return, it is complicated due to the self employment tax.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

lol internet. posted:

For ROTH IRA, is the after tax calculated right away and removed from the principal sum or is this something I file for at the end of the year in my tax filings?

The taxes were already "taken out" when you earned the money. You shouldn't have to do anything related to taxes with ROTH. You don't report it to the IRS, the provider (i.e. Vanguard) does, which pretty much is just to prove that you didn't over-contribute.

It's the same way you buy a candy bar with after tax money.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Duh of course.

Couple last questions.

Does Roth contributions generally change from. Year to year or has it always been 5500 per year for under 50? Just wondering this so I can just set and forget automatic payments.

I currently have basically 200 in my Vanguard account, I plan on adding 225 per paycheck. I wanted to just put it all into a s&p fund. So my options are vfinx, vfiax which both I don't have the minimum at the moment. Is there any place I should be putting it before I hit the 3k minimum or should I go with a different plan game plan together to get to vfiax.

Thanks!

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol internet. posted:

Duh of course.

Couple last questions.

Does Roth contributions generally change from. Year to year or has it always been 5500 per year for under 50? Just wondering this so I can just set and forget automatic payments.

I currently have basically 200 in my Vanguard account, I plan on adding 225 per paycheck. I wanted to just put it all into a s&p fund. So my options are vfinx, vfiax which both I don't have the minimum at the moment. Is there any place I should be putting it before I hit the 3k minimum or should I go with a different plan game plan together to get to vfiax.

Thanks!

If you're at Vanguard, set it to maximize for the automatic investing and it will adjust upwards automatically when the Roth limits change. They do every few years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

lol internet. posted:

Duh of course.

Couple last questions.

Thanks!

It changes every once in a while. The IRS usually decides about a year in advance.

It's been 5.5k for 6 years now. It was 5k before that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's quite unlikely that it will change downward, and it's very well announced in advance if there is a change.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Changes for this year were announced at the end of last October, so we should know for sure in a couple weeks for next year.

Outside analysis seems to indicate 401k caps increase to 18.5k, but IRAs remain flat.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

a messed up horse posted:

If you're at Vanguard, set it to maximize for the automatic investing and it will adjust upwards automatically when the Roth limits change. They do every few years.

That's cool. I wish Fidelity did that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

crazypeltast52 posted:

Changes for this year were announced at the end of last October, so we should know for sure in a couple weeks for next year.

Outside analysis seems to indicate 401k caps increase to 18.5k, but IRAs remain flat.

haha further screwing people who don't have good employers

I'm down though my employer is Good.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
https://amp.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-not-biggest-bubble-negative-yielding-bonds-2017-10

Ok I'm confused. This article talks about negative yields and a bond bubble and how terrible 2008 was for bonds.

1. The bonds it's talking about where REITs or something not treasuries or corporate right?

2. How much of this article is complete bullshit?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: nevermind

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 14, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Put my first 1k towards retirement for 2055 :woop:. Vanguard is pretty cool with how much learning content they have on their website.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I hosed up some of my tax lot allocation and I'm going to be way over the IRA contribution limits. No problem, I can withdraw the $5500, but how do I know how much I need to remove in gains? Just prorate my annual gains to date?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

I hosed up some of my tax lot allocation and I'm going to be way over the IRA contribution limits. No problem, I can withdraw the $5500, but how do I know how much I need to remove in gains? Just prorate my annual gains to date?

Your brokerage should handle it for you. I had to do this once and it was like 1 whole sheet of paper. Signed it and they did the rest.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Your custodian should do that for you. Do they mention it on the paperwork anywhere? I just looked up Fidelity's and T. Rowe Price's and they do it automatically unless you specify otherwise and attach additional paperwork.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Goldman Sachs raised their savings account rate to 1.30

Waiting for Ally to match...

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Makes sense. I just shot Vanguard a message. I actually ended up finding the IRS formula which is pretty straightforward, but I'll wait to hear from Vanguard regardless. My CPA slapped my wrist for realizing I was over the limit after tax filing two years ago so I will just avoid it this year and be a responsible citizen.

By the way, I loving hate Vanguards website and interface. It's so cumbersome. Ally is the poo poo.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

buglord posted:

Put my first 1k towards retirement for 2055 :woop:. Vanguard is pretty cool with how much learning content they have on their website.

RIDE VFFVX OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER

RIDE VFFVX OR DIE MOTHERFUCKER

I need to write some hip hop.

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006
I'm a California resident holding $10k, in VMMX in my Vanguard brokerage account. Currently using it as an extension of my emergency fund, and as it hit's $15K I move 5K into my equity/bond fund portfolio for mid-term savings. Should I convert this into another money market fund or bonds with a higher yield? Don't want much risk with this pool, but it doesn't need to be liquid since I already have a six month emergency fund in an Ally account.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

Makes sense. I just shot Vanguard a message. I actually ended up finding the IRS formula which is pretty straightforward, but I'll wait to hear from Vanguard regardless. My CPA slapped my wrist for realizing I was over the limit after tax filing two years ago so I will just avoid it this year and be a responsible citizen.

By the way, I loving hate Vanguards website and interface. It's so cumbersome. Ally is the poo poo.

Are you over the Roth limit or traditional Ira limit? The latter just means you put in 5500 post tax and track the basis until retirement at which point you can withdraw the 5500 tax free. It's a pain in your accountants butt.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

H110Hawk posted:

Are you over the Roth limit or traditional Ira limit? The latter just means you put in 5500 post tax and track the basis until retirement at which point you can withdraw the 5500 tax free. It's a pain in your accountants butt.

Sounds like too much work for a few $k.

I'd rather just leave it in, but pulling out is easier. I don't want to have to track anything for decades. I definitely pulled it all out too, I swear I didn't leave any capital gains. Yes I'm sure, we don't need to talk to anyone tomorrow. It's fine. God.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KaiserKarl posted:

I'm a California resident holding $10k, in VMMX in my Vanguard brokerage account. Currently using it as an extension of my emergency fund, and as it hit's $15K I move 5K into my equity/bond fund portfolio for mid-term savings. Should I convert this into another money market fund or bonds with a higher yield? Don't want much risk with this pool, but it doesn't need to be liquid since I already have a six month emergency fund in an Ally account.
Ahoy fellow California resident. I suggest VCAIX (California Intermediate Municipal Tax-Free Bonds). It's pretty safe, "past performance does not equal future performance" and all, but it's historically held principal well and the dividends are both state and federal tax free. Return is not particularly great, but its a solid ~2.5% or so div. Plus you kind of support California :ca: There's also VCITX (long-term) which gives a little better yield, but has a little more risk and more prone to some declining principal once interest rates start rising. I'd probably stick with VCAIX if it's mean to be an extension of emergency funds.

Thanatus
Apr 24, 2009
I currently have a work 401k open at Betterment with TLH enabled and want to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard to contribute my yearly maximum into a fund already owned in my Trad. 401k ( like VTI). Do I open myself up to any tax implications by leaving TLH enabled with the Betterment account? I am having a little trouble understanding the wash sale rules and the impact TLH could have on funds owned by external accounts.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Thanatus posted:

I currently have a work 401k open at Betterment with TLH enabled and want to open a Roth IRA with Vanguard to contribute my yearly maximum into a fund already owned in my Trad. 401k ( like VTI). Do I open myself up to any tax implications by leaving TLH enabled with the Betterment account? I am having a little trouble understanding the wash sale rules and the impact TLH could have on funds owned by external accounts.

Tax-loss harvesting doesn't give you any benefit in a tax-advantaged account like a 401k since you're not being taxed on any of the gain when trading within a 401k. I think wash sale rules definitely get triggered for transactions of similar shares between a taxable brokerage account and an IRA, but there isn't a clear rule for a 401k, just most people act under the assumption that the IRS will treat it similarly if it came up in an audit.

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

Ahoy fellow California resident. I suggest VCAIX (California Intermediate Municipal Tax-Free Bonds). It's pretty safe, "past performance does not equal future performance" and all, but it's historically held principal well and the dividends are both state and federal tax free. Return is not particularly great, but its a solid ~2.5% or so div. Plus you kind of support California :ca: There's also VCITX (long-term) which gives a little better yield, but has a little more risk and more prone to some declining principal once interest rates start rising. I'd probably stick with VCAIX if it's mean to be an extension of emergency funds.

Awesome, this makes good sense.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Xaris posted:

Huh. This might just get me to open a Vanguard account. I also live in :ca: and this seems like a great place to store excess liquid savings.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 16, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xaris posted:

With VCAIX I should keep it at least a year before selling right? Otherwise I'm taxed for short term gains?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mu Zeta posted:

With VCAIX I should keep it at least a year before selling right? Otherwise I'm taxed for short term gains?
The base price doesn't really change significantly, but yes you will be charged (be it short or long) cap gains on it if you sold (but really its going to be like 11.64 -> 11.72 or something as a example).

But that's not the point, it's the interest that's tax free which is really the main draw and so you really can sell at any time since it's already been earned. This usefulness also depends on your state and federal tax bracket as well to how beneficial it would be to you, if you're in a higher tax bracket that's often a very attractive feature, if you're in a lower tax bracket it may not be as attractive (depending on your goals of your portfolio balance, growth, and risk of course). My purpose of it is just the next tier up from "emergency savings/checking funds", i.e. low-risk liquid slush fund that I could tap into that isn't just eating itself up through inflation and better than savings

Also goes without saying and should be obvious, but don't put it in your IRA.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 15, 2017

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

Also goes without saying and should be obvious, but don't put it in your IRA.

Because the tax free interest is nullified in a tax free IRA and you still take whatever trade-offs (increasing your exposure to the financial well-being of your home state)? I'm still learning, and it's not completely obvious to me yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Because the tax free interest is nullified in a tax free IRA and you still take whatever trade-offs (increasing your exposure to the financial well-being of your home state)? I'm still learning, and it's not completely obvious to me yet.

Right. More specifically you're getting a lower return for no reason in an IRA. In a taxable account, if you have a high tax bracket that 2.5% has the same value as ~4% on taxable bonds.

Throw all your crazy taxable bonds and REITs in your tax deferred or Roth account.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I am told by our HR department I have to manage my 401K withholding percentage to make sure I don't hit the limit (I'm going to). Seems I remember people saying most providers just won't take any contributions over $18K? Is this our HR department just being lazy, again?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ManDingo posted:

I am told by our HR department I have to manage my 401K withholding percentage to make sure I don't hit the limit (I'm going to). Seems I remember people saying most providers just won't take any contributions over $18K? Is this our HR department just being lazy, again?

Lazy and/or completely uninformed. I've have several 401k providers at this point and not one of them would take anything over the max for the year - whenever you hit it the contributions stop going in.

I suppose this requires some sort of communication between the plan administrator and the payroll processor. If your company does it's own payroll and is ignoring the statements from the plan administrator.......welp.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The two companies I have worked for both automatically contributed anything over the limit to the after-tax, non-Roth 401k category.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not what I've seen, but I suppose it's a thing.

My current administrator is Fidelity, and this is how they handle it:

Anything over your max contribution limit(s) simply doesn't get contributed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My parents have put all their retirement money into an annuity. They still have 8 or 9 years to go so I wanted to make them Vanguard IRA and taxable accounts (they are self employed, no 401k). I figure their asset allocation at this point should be 50/50, so should I pretty much do Total Bond Market in IRA and Total Stock market in taxable? Or maybe play around with something like a Tax Managed Fund in taxable along with a Lifestrategy fund in the IRA?

Their tax bracket is around 28% and California tax is 9%.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2017

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

ManDingo posted:

I have run into problems when changing jobs and accidentally overcontributed as a result. Havent had issues when all contributions in a year were at the same place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

ManDingo posted:

The other thing to make sure of is that you keep getting your company match if you max out before the end of the year. I had one company that stopped since I stopped, despite being on average well over the 5% or whatever to get the match. Next year I had to get close and the dribble in the rest of the year at 5%.