Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

SeaborneClink posted:

Does going from Mid/Senior FO to Jr Captain mean a big paycut? My novice understanding of similar payscales was that there would be some overlap at the top FO and lowest captain but apparently not? It's a kick in the dick to have to sit in the left seat, just a massive increase in responsibility but negligible compensation increase?

As Kodiak said, it's not necessarily the pay (though as a Captain on bottom-of-the-barrel reserve you lose all the FO teaser pay) but the horrible erosion in the quality of life. You can go from 17-18 days off with weekends free to sitting reserve in an outstation with 11-12 days off... probably covering FO trips with more senior Captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

KodiakRS posted:

Delta seems to be the only Major that realizes the current regional model is unsustainable and is making changes to it's fleet to accommodate that. Most regionals are throwing wads of money at anyone with a pulse and the requirements to be an FO but they're still treating their current employees like it's the lost decade. Reserve and captain pay at my regional are so bad that most of our senior FOs don't want to bother with the upgrade. The company recently put out a notice saying that if they don't get enough volunteers to upgrade that they're going to have to displace FOs out of the right seat into becoming captains. Despite that, the mainlines are still just chugging along like nothings the matter and their regional feed isn't on the verge of collapse.

I have no idea how the next 5 years are going to go but I'm willing to be it'll be one hell of a ride.

Well the other thing is that Delta is hiring like crazy (with <1 year captain upgrades) but I can't help but think the second there's an economic hiccup and the music stops, guys are going to be out on the street whereas everyone else just kinda be stagnant but at least keep their jobs.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
[quote="“Rekinom”" post="“476944614”"]
Well the other thing is that Delta is hiring like crazy (with <1 year captain upgrades) but I can’t help but think the second there’s an economic hiccup and the music stops, guys are going to be out on the street whereas everyone else just kinda be stagnant but at least keep their jobs.
[/quote]

The thought of this terrifies me. I'm just getting my foot in the door at a regional and I'm hoping if poo poo ever hits the proverbial fan I'll have enough seniority to survive.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our school just signed a partnership with a regional and it saddens me there's going to be a "lost generation" of pilots who got hired after 1500 was put in place, but before salaries went up, incentives were offered, and stuff like Cadet Programs came into place where there was tuition reimbursement.

One of our CFIs said a few months ago he'd have stuck around with us to 1500 had we gotten the cadet program live sooner. Instead, he went to a fractional flying PC-12s about a month before it was made official.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 4, 2017

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Do you want structural damage? Because that's how you get structural damage.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Flying club does good. Increases air traffic use in a given month by 67 precent.

“We’ve had a good year,” Mr. Colwell told the Recorder. “I don’t have all the statistics for the whole year set right now, but in July and August air traffic at the airport has gone up 67 percent from the same two month period in 2016.”

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Flying club does good. Increases air traffic use in a given month by 67 precent.

“We’ve had a good year,” Mr. Colwell told the Recorder. “I don’t have all the statistics for the whole year set right now, but in July and August air traffic at the airport has gone up 67 percent from the same two month period in 2016.”

So there were three flights this year, and one last year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So there were three flights this year, and one last year.

Customs services are available there according to the website, so I imagine it receives a bit more traffic than that. Looks like a decent place for a $100 hamburger (god what an outdated phrase) if you happened to be near that area. They have a courtesy car, even!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like the 15-week ground school idea. Seems like a bunch of GA buffs just cranking people through with one PA-140.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I like the 15-week ground school idea. Seems like a bunch of GA buffs just cranking people through with one PA-140.

As far as I can tell, it would have to, by law, be a registered FTU, which means there's at least one class 1 instructor involved and Transport Canada has given it its blessing. I think trying to complete a license at a FTU with a single plane would be ridiculous and frustrating, but I suppose it would be possible.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

As far as I can tell, it would have to, by law, be a registered FTU, which means there's at least one class 1 instructor involved and Transport Canada has given it its blessing. I think trying to complete a license at a FTU with a single plane would be ridiculous and frustrating, but I suppose it would be possible.

Yep, probably better at getting people excited about GA more than getting them finished off. Anything helps!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update - ATP ERJ170/190 KLGA !! I guess I'm an airline pilot now!
:hfive:

Updated. I'm up in JFK. Goon meet?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

AWSEFT posted:

Updated. I'm up in JFK. Goon meet?

I'm down on the second week of November

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
Once I finish IOE I'll be up in LGA to sit reserve, I'm sure we can find a time

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

I'm down on the second week of November

Saturday 28th October if anynone is near JFK

In the Marriott Courtyard Long Island...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wanna live in NYC :(

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 20, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Welp.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/919588623015727105

Goddamnit this is why we can't have nice things. Should drone operators have to be licensed and should drones have to be registered? Ideally, no, but when people just completely ignore existing laws and common sense, what other options do we have? I hope they find the operator and give him some free accommodation at the federal hotel.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Today in crazytown: My regional just officially displaced a few new hires with less than 3 weeks senority into captain positions because roughly 200 senior pilots chose not to upgrade.

Ironically the "it's a pay shortage not a pilot shortage." line turned out to be more true than previously thought. Throwing money at first officers gets them in the front door but the increased pay kills any motivation to become a captain.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AWSEFT posted:

I'm around but there are 3 Marriott Courtyards on Long Island. lol

I'd be willing to bet it's the Long Island City location

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

I'm around but there are 3 Marriott Courtyards on Long Island. lol

Thank god the driver knows....

29-15 Queens Plaza North
Long Island NY 11101

Also surprised myself by how fast I stopped the drat thing with a tailwind onto 31R the other week

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 20, 2019

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
I'd be in for an aero goon meet except 1) I don't plan on nonrevving to NYC all the way from SLC and 2) guess which idiot goes to upgrade class in a couple weeks?

I'm going to hate being in Chicago in the middle of winter...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a reg question for the reg pros:

For about a year, I’d been flying part 91 in a Citation with a captain that has a PIC single-pilot add-on, technically meaning he can fly the airplane single pilot, even though we don’t do it as a company. All I had for the year was an SIC type, but I did have the SIC type the whole time.

Technically speaking, can I log the year’s time as SIC time? Or even total flight time? I’m starting to tally my time because I’m very close to my ATP, and while reading the regs I started getting nervous that this might come up while looking at the time requirements, because the regs say I can log SIC time as time where a second crew member was required, and I very technically was not, outside of company policy and insurance requirements.

(FAR)

quote:

(c) A commercial pilot may credit the following second-in-command flight time or flight-engineer flight time toward the 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section:

(1) Second-in-command time, provided the time is acquired in an airplane -

(i) Required to have more than one pilot flight crewmember by the airplane's flight manual, type certificate, or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted;

(ii) Engaged in operations under subpart K of part 91, part 121, or part 135 of this chapter for which a second in command is required; or

(iii) That is required by the operating rules of this chapter to have more than one pilot flight crewmember.

(From the TCDS)

quote:

Minimum Crew for all Flights (see note 5 for cockpit equipment/arrangement restrictions):

One pilot (in the left pilot seat) plus additional equipment as specified in the Kinds of Operations Equipment List (KOEL) contained in the Limitations Section of the FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual

OR

One pilot and one copilot

Basic question is: even though he has a single pilot add-on for a plane that can be crew or SP, can he elect to legally fly it as a crew? I’m assuming I’m good but I want to know for certain before I start scheduling training.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 21, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just did my first actual flight under IFR after a bunch of time in the simulator. It's so much more challenging, obviously, but I'm really enjoying the extra challenge.

Granted, doing holds for the first time in a 40-50 knot upper wind was probably not ideal. My holds were not very good, I'm certain.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Does the company have an FAA approved ops spec that requires a second pilot?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

Does the company have an FAA approved ops spec that requires a second pilot?

I’d have to check, but we do manage a separate company that flies an M2 single pilot.

I edited my previous post to include TCDS info. The “OR” in the required crew section makes me hopeful. Couldn’t we just say “yeah we flew it using this part of the TCDS requirements”?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
So what's this going to do to commercial air travel? Sucking up to 1,000 pilots away from the airlines sounds like it might have an impact.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'd like to fly for the military for a guarantee that I wouldn't get shot at. And a whole lot of loving cash.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

biznatchio posted:

So what's this going to do to commercial air travel? Sucking up to 1,000 pilots away from the airlines sounds like it might have an impact.

Well, I did quite a bit of heavy lifting for our aviation program over the Summer. Might as well go full-blown Chair if Donnie tells my boss to get back in a C-17.

:lol: gently caress that poo poo, I'll just keep my current job and let somebody else take over.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Michael Scott posted:

I'd like to fly for the military for a guarantee that I wouldn't get shot at stuck at a desk not flying. And a whole lot of loving cash.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Give me a green card a load of cash and something cool to fly and I'll come fly for you America! You can even let guys take potshots at me occasionally.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Give me a green card a load of cash and something cool to fly and I'll come fly for you America! You can even let guys take potshots at me occasionally.

I approve this message

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’d have to check, but we do manage a separate company that flies an M2 single pilot.

I edited my previous post to include TCDS info. The “OR” in the required crew section makes me hopeful. Couldn’t we just say “yeah we flew it using this part of the TCDS requirements”?

My reading of that would be that the "OR" statement makes it perfectly legal to log the time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

My reading of that would be that the "OR" statement makes it perfectly legal to log the time.

I agree, but I also really wanted to hear it from someone else.

It’s not like someone’s going to ever see those entries in my log and ask what add-ons the other pilot(s) may have had, but I still thought I’d ask.

Thanks for the response, amigo.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

I'd be in for an aero goon meet except 1) I don't plan on nonrevving to NYC all the way from SLC and 2) guess which idiot goes to upgrade class in a couple weeks?

I'm going to hate being in Chicago in the middle of winter...

Possible first goon airline crew? Winter here isn't so bad

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Only if you work at OO and you're on the CRJ :)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Already happened. Commanded by Two Kings and... Fist Officered, by yours truly.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Only if you work at OO and you're on the CRJ :)

I do both of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

vessbot posted:

Already happened. Commanded by Two Kings and... Fist Officered, by yours truly.

Well drat