Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Why is this guy in a management meeting instead of finishing the Star Citizen Novella that was sold to backers in 2014?

I'm glad an unremarkable QA intern was able to brown-nose his way into management.

Meet the devs posted:

I was able to start interning for Ascendant Pictures during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
ELE: delayed
Mission givers: delayed
Ship Sale: tomorrow!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

happyhippy posted:

I bought Chris a beer once.
I am more Important than you.

I brewed a Star Citizen beer that he got wasted on.

Checkmate goonie. You are dismissed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

As Toops says I know people love it for what it is and it's still a game I can happily loose a couple of nights in - but it really is a game about graphics and not much else. It's nice to go there but it's a step backwards from Elite and Frontier Elite II.

In elite, you hit the system, 1 star, 1 planet, point to your required destination and hit ‘j’ until the spawn, which could be neutral or pirates. Pirates would be sidewinders and kraits, generally the pythons and anacondas were peaceful enough.

I spent the summer of 1982 playing the game, and have extremely fond memories of the one mission in the BBC version, going after the constrictor.

Calling ED a backwards step from elite is weird. Calling the buggy as gently caress frontier II a better game than ED is weird. Suggesting that oolite doesn’t have popin enemies is weird.

Frontier i cheesed with an imperial courier loaded with shield generators, and while i loving loved that it had orbital mechanics, it was ultimately seriously flawed.

Also, the sound design in elite makes the game; it’s immersive, and while it’s effectively a truck driver simulator, it’s still true to a formula, but really, i think you’ve gotten caught up in weird nostalgia.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Checking in to say Divinity Original Sin 2 is still really good and you should play it

My party gets wiped out by every fight

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Great games, truly great games are right bang down the middle of realism/gaminess and this is steadily becoming a lost art for lots of reasons.

I've posted about it before, but this is where a game like Cold Waters shines. There is an accurate acoustic model for sonar operation, but the implementation is relatively hidden from you. The game simulates you being a captain, so your sonar operator feeds you the results of their bearing and range calculations. It becomes a game about tactics, instead of a game about the minutia of how a submarine operates.

Here's my USS Narwhal slotted into the baffles of a Victor I.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's good to see so many people playing Star Citizen on a Sunday

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

In elite, you hit the system, 1 star, 1 planet, point to your required destination and hit ‘j’ until the spawn, which could be neutral or pirates. Pirates would be sidewinders and kraits, generally the pythons and anacondas were peaceful enough.

I spent the summer of 1982 playing the game, and have extremely fond memories of the one mission in the BBC version, going after the constrictor.

Calling ED a backwards step from elite is weird. Calling the buggy as gently caress frontier II a better game than ED is weird. Suggesting that oolite doesn’t have popin enemies is weird.

Frontier i cheesed with an imperial courier loaded with shield generators, and while i loving loved that it had orbital mechanics, it was ultimately seriously flawed.

Also, the sound design in elite makes the game; it’s immersive, and while it’s effectively a truck driver simulator, it’s still true to a formula, but really, i think you’ve gotten caught up in weird nostalgia.

This displeases Ming

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

This displeases Ming

Sming.

Edit: i sound like i have a dog in the fight, but it’s more that i’ve owned and played every version of elite, and ED is the one i play constantly. I’d like to see the person that says, gently caress that noise, i’m sticking with oolite.

I also enjoyed the wing commander games contemporaneously, so i might be the odd one.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2017

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

I've posted about it before, but this is where a game like Cold Waters shines. There is an accurate acoustic model for sonar operation, but the implementation is relatively hidden from you. The game simulates you being a captain, so your sonar operator feeds you the results of their bearing and range calculations. It becomes a game about tactics, instead of a game about the minutia of how a submarine operates.

Here's my USS Narwhal slotted into the baffles of a Victor I.

I’ve been meaning to get one of these sub sims for a while. Is there multiplayer planned?

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Sming.

Edit: i sound like i have a dog in the fight, but it’s more that i’ve owned and played every version of elite, and ED is the one i play constantly. I’d like to see the person that says, gently caress that noise, i’m sticking with oolite.

I also enjoyed the wing commander games contemporaneously, so i might be the odd one.

I loved privateer, rest of the WC series I never really played other than the armada game a friend and I bought for $10...first game we played over a modem back in the day. I was more of a X-wing & Tie Fighter guy...

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
In other news, got into the alpha for Sea of Thieves and it is amazing. Tons of fun and by far best water i've seen in any game. Rare is really gonna have a gem when this releases.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

The journey from the star to the station was the game. You had to fight your way to the station and that last bit was nerve racking. In ED you swoop around supercruise and drop out at the front door.

That's a step back. At best it's a sidestep around any kind of challenge or gameplay.

The original pitch for ED was the exact same mechanic.

The 'spawning' never felt like a spawn because you were interrupted in the journey. In ED you see the thing pop into existence.

Pythons were not 'peaceful enough'. Pythons would ram. Each ship had its 'thing'. FDLs were trigger happy fast firing for example. Kraits flew out of asteroids and flew in pairs. Cobras were more likely to launch a missile.

In ED none of that personality in NPCs exists at all, they're just cannon fodder.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
ED's one of those games that seems like it will be fun, but actually isn't (IMHO obvs), but pushes enough psychological buttons that you keep playing it anyway because its got so much potential and surely it will be fun once I get that ship or weapon or whatever. You have to sink quite a bit of time into it to realise that if you don't like it straight away, you won't ever like it.

There's lots of games like that nowadays and I've wasted so much money because of it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Goobs posted:

In other news, got into the alpha for Sea of Thieves and it is amazing. Tons of fun and by far best water i've seen in any game. Rare is really gonna have a gem when this releases.
Woah there sunshine. Chris Roberts has decreed that Star Citizen will have water at least as good as Morrowind, how could another game possibly compete with that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Goobs posted:

Comforting to hear, Rare hasn't had a good time of it over the last few, it'd be nice to see them claw their way back into relevance.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

tooterfish posted:

Woah there sunshine. Chris Roberts has decreed that Star Citizen will have water at least as good as Morrowind, how could another game possibly compete with that?

Decreed. Remember the warp travel effect. Water is already in game and delivered.
We're MVP after all.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Weird how little bigfoot has better facial animation than CIG.....

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

tooterfish posted:

Chris also said we can go to a crater on Delmar and play Skyrim.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

It is a wig tho??

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

reverend crabhands posted:

It is a wig tho??

what does your heart tell you?

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

reverend crabhands posted:

It is a wig tho??

No. It just looks like a comb forward to cover the receding spot that is his entire head.

He should share the love and send his bro a case or two of “just fo men”. Seeing Erin like that is just sad. He used to be seriously Ben level obese in the old day, then he escaped his lunatic brother and got in really good physical shape, until chris pulled him back. You can clearly see that that has been healthy for him.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The man with a thousand different hair styles all designed to make him look like a simpleton who's nan cut his hair

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What do you think Roberts will dress up as fo Halloween? Zombie Bill Gates?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

The journey from the star to the station was the game. You had to fight your way to the station and that last bit was nerve racking. In ED you swoop around supercruise and drop out at the front door.

That's a step back. At best it's a sidestep around any kind of challenge or gameplay.

The original pitch for ED was the exact same mechanic.

The 'spawning' never felt like a spawn because you were interrupted in the journey. In ED you see the thing pop into existence.

Pythons were not 'peaceful enough'. Pythons would ram. Each ship had its 'thing'. FDLs were trigger happy fast firing for example. Kraits flew out of asteroids and flew in pairs. Cobras were more likely to launch a missile.

In ED none of that personality in NPCs exists at all, they're just cannon fodder.

Yeah, that’s all subjective. And you’re not playing in ‘open’.

So, you prefer oolite to play?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lt_Tofu posted:

What do you think Roberts will dress up as fo Halloween?
A twat.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Usually for Halloween you wear a costume though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

vyst posted:

Usually for Halloween you wear a costume though

Ok, so he'll be a twat in a costume — he's still dressed up for halloween, though.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Lt_Tofu posted:

A game developer.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beef Hardcheese posted:

A game developer.

:golfclap:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lt_Tofu posted:

Zombie Steve jobs

He's already nailed the clothing , glassed over eyes, chalky complexion and general palor, oh and don't forget the permanent look of bewilderment

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

Yeah, that’s all subjective. And you’re not playing in ‘open’.

So, you prefer oolite to play?

I do play in open, always have done.

I prefer ED's flight model but prefer Oolite's gameplay. Graphically ED is astonishing. Oolite looks like crap but does generate an amazing atmosphere and genuinely feels alive.

Yes it is all subjective, playing a game is a subjective experience. You can't just decide to forget something you've played before and suddenly experience a game objectively. So you're reading the subjective experience of someone playing ED who has also played Oolite and Elite to death.

It won't be the same as someone's experience who hasn't played those games or who played them and didn't enjoy them.

If you'd played ED first and then had a look at Oolite that would be a completely different subjective experience. The flight model is basic, the graphics rudimentary. That would be a difficult transition. But coming from Oolite to ED you are blown away by the flight model and graphics, and then you start to miss the sheer adventure and aliveness of Oolite.

ED's gameplay mechanics are cheap, tacked on and convoluted. It still interest me *despite* this because it gets so much else right.

It's a toybox, not a game. Elite and Oolite are games.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Beef Hardcheese posted:

A game developer.

Yessss

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Beef Hardcheese posted:

A game developer.

:drat:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
If you're trying to make an 'objectively good' game or 'objectively good' piece if music or 'objectively good' painting, people might subjectively think it's a piece of poo poo and when you explain why it's objectively good they'll subjectively think you're full of poo poo.

That's my thought for the day thanks for listening. It's all subjective and most of it is bullshit.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.dualshockers.com/star-citizen-video-cockpits/

Joe Blober in the comments earning his pay. And confirming filthy console ports too! :aaaaa:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

This is what it's like looking at an anime version of yourself

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

peter gabriel posted:

This is what it's like looking at an anime version of yourself

:siren: Dox Alert! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

As Toops says I know people love it for what it is and it's still a game I can happily loose a couple of nights in - but it really is a game about graphics and not much else. It's nice to go there but it's a step backwards from Elite and Frontier Elite II.

This was the most engaging bit of gaming content I'd experienced in a very long time :

Literally up till 4am some nights with work the next day. As a responsible adult I haven't done that with a computer game in a very long time.

Of course this was back when there was only a core of about 5-10 of us on the UA trail. So many people on it now, it's all uncovered before you've even caught up. :saddowns: