Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Wow, they somehow managed to make THAT iconic logo ugly.

Edit: who was the designer on the original version of that logo?

Chermayeff, Geismar, and Haviv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

Additionally, there’s a charter operation using their colors, operating a couple 737s out of MIA.

Do they all have mismatched wings like that? :v:

So, I found an organization that is slightly worse than the worst bargain airline: the WW2 Luftwaffe. (This story happened just after the Normandy invasion started.)

quote:

In accordance with the standard procedure during rapid operational deployments of this type, each Focke Wulf carried its mechanic in the rear fuselage. To reduce the likelihood of encountering enemy fighters, the Gruppe [wing] Stab and 9. Staffel [squadron] flying in from St-Quentin to the west of Paris were ordered to take a wide detour round the south of the capital and remain at low altitude. In spite of these precautions the Focke Wulfs were intercepted by American Mustangs and Thunderbolts which shot down five, killing eight out of the ten men on board. The mechanics had no way of abandoning the aircraft in flight, and when aircraft were hit their pilots refused to bail out and leave their mechanics to certain death.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

....why?

Is that talking about having a mechanic in an area traditionally inaccessible in flight?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
This is a photographer in I assume the same compartment. Doesn't look great.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Potato Salad posted:

....why?

Is that talking about having a mechanic in an area traditionally inaccessible in flight?

Rapid deployment. The the case of Normandy invasion, units defending Germany were to fly to forward bases in France to help repel the invasion. I'm reading a thing, and sometimes support crew would fly to the new airbase (scary when the Allies had air superiority) or travel by land, which could take weeks. The mechanics traveling with the aircraft they serviced hopefully would allow some operational flights to happen even if the support crew had not yet reached the new airfield. (It seems the mechanics in a crawlspace practice stopped in the west after this as Allied air superiority was judged simply too great.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A drone hit a jet on approach into Quebec City.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/drone-hits-commercial-aircraft-in-quebec-garneau-1.3633035

Restrictive laws and licensing regarding remote-control aircraft shouldn't be necessary, but apparently people are just too goddamn stupid and irresponsible to go without it!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

A drone hit a jet on approach into Quebec City.

Technically, I bet the jet hit the drone. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

Technically, I bet the jet hit the drone. :colbert:

Touche. And apparently it was a passenger turboprop, not a jet, in the interest of being as precise as possible.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Blacknose posted:

This is a photographer in I assume the same compartment. Doesn't look great.

Reminds me of the lil' golf-bag compartment in the boattail Auburn. Did any American fighters have a similar luggage space? Pretty sure the entire back half of the P-47, at least, was taken up by the turbocharger.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Delivery McGee posted:

Reminds me of the lil' golf-bag compartment in the boattail Auburn. Did any American fighters have a similar luggage space? Pretty sure the entire back half of the P-47, at least, was taken up by the turbocharger.

Well, the P-38s had a luggage hole in the back of each boom, but you couldn't fit an entire person in there.

And in the early days of fighter-bombers, people started thinking, hey... maybe somebody involved in the process should have a bombsight.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

were lawfully forbidden from even setting foot on the airstair

What was the logic behind this? Or failing that, the reason given even if illogical? :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Psion posted:

What was the logic behind this? Or failing that, the reason given even if illogical? :v:

We never learned why. It was the middle of the night and pitch black outside, so it might've been the fact that they had nowhere to put us (it was a full L-1011) and they didn't want a bunch of tired and shiftless people wandering around on the tarmac.

Obviously someone had to get off, since I'm pretty sure the L-1011 had the legs to get from PHL to Lajes, and they wouldn't have refuelled the plane with us on board.

All I remember is the flight crew would barely let us stick our heads out the front door to get some fresh air - which for some reason smelled like we were downwind of a paper mill. We were also told if we attempted to debark the authorities would be called.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 15, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Psion posted:

We had a similar thing during a trooplift movement on a contracted 737. Romania was kind enough to give us airstairs so people could smoke (while they refueled the aircraft), but if anyone set foot on the ground it would be $X per person. I assume in a civair situation the carrier would be responsible.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Obviously someone had to get off, since I'm pretty sure the L-1011 had the legs to get from PHL to Lajes, and they wouldn't have refuelled the plane with us on board.

They can, I've had it happen several times but only overseas or on a military aircraft.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Refuelling with passengers on board or while loading/unloading is perfectly routine in short haul flying. The only real requirements are I think crew locations and emergency exits remaining clear. Something like that.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I had a similar thing happen in Rome. We were on a Flying Tigers 747 headed for Somalia. The Italians didn't want to let us off the plane at first but the refueling was taking longer than expected or other maintenance was needed and so they relented.

We all stood in formation on the tarmac and they surrounded us with riot police. Facing inward.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Brovine posted:

Refuelling with passengers on board or while loading/unloading is perfectly routine in short haul flying. The only real requirements are I think crew locations and emergency exits remaining clear. Something like that.

Can confirm true for U.S. regionals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I FIFO for work quite a bit these days and they refuel with the passengers onboard all the drat time. They just ask you to unbuckle your seat belts.

They do cargo at the same time too. 737 -200C for the win!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Delivery McGee posted:

IIRC the P-40 had a luggage compartment somewhere near the cockpit, though it was not particularly large.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I FIFO for work quite a bit these days and they refuel with the passengers onboard all the drat time. They just ask you to unbuckle your seat belts.

They do cargo at the same time too. 737 -200C for the win!

They have to ask people? You mean they haven't all unbuckled the second the plane lands and got up to get their luggage at the first taxiway stop?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Finger Prince posted:

They have to ask people? You mean they haven't all unbuckled the second the plane lands and got up to get their luggage at the first taxiway stop?

We're all sitting pretty waiting for the plane to get somewhere that has more than a runway and a warehouse.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The buffalo had a luggage compartment. And by luggage I mean life raft and supplies.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

well it wasn't stock, but the F4F's fuselage had plenty of free space to work with

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I almost got a ride in that but the pilot changed his mind due to the risk.

On a separate note, just outside the frame to the left, there is a liquor cabinet.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah I got to climb all around the interior of one of those when I was down in NZ for a joint forces exercise, they are positively roomy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Say. Remember those 'hoverbikes' we were discussing a couple of dozen pages back?

The one's that looked like the backstory for 'How I became a quadraplegic'.

Welp.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/cops-in-dubai-are-getting-real-very-dangerous-looking-1819488951

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Welp, I know one Bellarussian hacker who's gonna get rich from a script that shuts off one propeller randomly acab

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Deptfordx posted:

Say. Remember those 'hoverbikes' we were discussing a couple of dozen pages back?

Welp.

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/cops-in-dubai-are-getting-real-very-dangerous-looking-1819488951

Dubai with its disposable people and robot cops really wants to be a city like in blade runner

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dubai with its disposable people and robot cops really wants to be a city like in blade runner
Dubai is intentionally turning itself into what everyone was afraid Tokyo was going to decay into back in the '80s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Dubai is intentionally turning itself into what everyone was afraid Tokyo was going to decay into back in the '80s.

Post-oil, it will all be Mad Max country.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yes, but Tokyo had/has a working sewage system. Last I heard Dubai was hauling poop from their bigger buildings with trucks.

Oh they seemed to have fixed that:

"By late 2010 it was reported that “all areas” had been connected to the city’s sewage network. "

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pretty sure every WWII American fighter had, at the very least, a compartment for a duffel bag of the pilot's stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, but Tokyo had/has a working sewage system. Last I heard Dubai was hauling poop from their bigger buildings with trucks.

Oh they seemed to have fixed that:

"By late 2010 it was reported that “all areas” had been connected to the city’s sewage network. "

That's good, because the private contractors were just dumping it in the ocean, so the beaches there were getting covered in human turds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Post-oil, it will all be Mad Max country.

Post Oil, it'll be too hot to live there.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

CommieGIR posted:

Post Oil, it'll be too hot to live there.

And yet there will be people who can't (or aren't allowed to) leave, so they'll have to live there or die.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Deptfordx posted:

Welp.

:eyepop:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
People who think these things are cool don't understand how helicopters are at least somewhat safe with autorotation built into the design. Piloted multi rotors will take a long time before they can be proven to be reliable enough to forgo safety systems like that

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

um excuse me posted:

People who think these things are cool don't understand how helicopters are at least somewhat safe with autorotation built into the design. Piloted multi rotors will take a long time before they can be proven to be reliable enough to forgo safety systems like that

We are in the age of disruption, friend! There is no longer a need to ask whether we should do something, all that matters is that we can do it!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PT6A posted:

We are in the age of disruption, friend! There is no longer a need to ask whether we should do something, all that matters is that we can do it!

I never put two and two together before, but Jurassic Park is peak disruption, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Especially if the disruptive thing has an app!