Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I think they said only the classic weapon skins will ever be centered although SyncError admitted that they received a lot of feedback about players who prefer centered weapons for lining things up

(There are a bunch of launch options you can use to change the viewmodel somewhat although most people use it exclusively for hiding all of the weapons completely)

code:

--set /Config/CONFIG/WeaponZScale -1 --set /Config/CONFIG/maxFpsValue 144 --set /Config/CONFIG/isLowResParticles 1 --set /Config/CONFIG/isLowViolence 1
They later said that they are looking to expose more customization options to the players, while also locking down the ones not explicitly configurable via options. At the least we know crosshair configuration is coming

I still want my OG lightning gun and OG shotgun, I would pay monies for this if they were up on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The champion variety feels really low in games I play.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Its been awhile, but there's a new patch out that hopefully fixes RL hit registration along with a bunch of other stuff:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/105614/patch-notes-early-access-update-5-10-17

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

BattleHamster posted:

Its been awhile, but there's a new patch out that hopefully fixes RL hit registration along with a bunch of other stuff:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/105614/patch-notes-early-access-update-5-10-17

All good stuff. Hopefully we get some new maps and characters soon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd dig a Quake 2 map or two, max nostalgia for me. If it had a remix of some of those tunes, that'd be extra fancy. I liked that Mick Gordon played a bit of Quake 2 music during one of those Doom concert video thingies.

Still dig the game by the way, lot of potential here.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Same here it’s the only game I play right now. Once they iron out the netcode and optimize it further it will be even better. Then hopefully we can look forward to more features.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Got it through the humble monthly. All I want is TDM with all weapons/unlimited ammo/no powerups. Abilities can be disabled too. So far, Quake Live (and even Ratz) is better.

Sidenote: It takes way too long to get a new match. Add a rematch option or something.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Out of curiosity, is there anyone who likes this game who hasn't also been playing Q3 for the last 18 years?

Cause I last played Q3 on a modem, and I have fond memories and all of that, but this game is one of the most aggravating peaces of poo poo I've played in years. Getting annihilated every 5th step out of nowhere, rinse, repeat is straight up no fun.

Why release a whole game seemingly dedicated exclusively to a tiny niche who's still playing a 18 year old game, when they can just play the 18 year old game. I don't understand.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I haven't played a Quake game online in about 17 years and I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Quake is hard. Be prepared to die a lot, but it's a good idea to start with beefy champs first and start learning to move around.

I understand people hate learning curves and games requiring difficult entrance skills, but for Quake, it's justified. But anyone should be able do it with some practice and fit into the lower-mid skill level.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Nobody will really be playing until the hotfix comes out to fix all of the additional crashing, stuttering and bugs they introduced with the latest patch :rolleyes: It's cool/lame to play with the same pool of ~500 regulars

Pastamania posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who likes this game who hasn't also been playing Q3 for the last 18 years?

A handful of people I play with had never played a PC shooter let alone an arena shooter before Overwatch and love QC. Approach it more like a real sport (lol) than a video game you can pick up and enjoy. Watch some youtube tutorials on movement, basic strafejumping is a requirement to not dying immediately after spawning

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 15, 2017

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Pastamania posted:

Cause I last played Q3 on a modem, and I have fond memories and all of that, but this game is one of the most aggravating peaces of poo poo I've played in years. Getting annihilated every 5th step out of nowhere, rinse, repeat is straight up no fun.

Why release a whole game seemingly dedicated exclusively to a tiny niche who's still playing a 18 year old game, when they can just play the 18 year old game. I don't understand.
I've played Quake 3 exactly one time, but went from Warsow (Q2-based but with enough improvements made that most people thought it was Q3) to Quake Live for about 6 years, but eventually fell back among my CS-playing group.

I don't like DM for the reason you mentioned, but TDM isn't usually that way except at the worst balance (usually because someone left after breaking all the urns). I want to play duel but... when I die to a bug in TDM, it's like 2% of the game, and that sucks. When I die to a bug in duel, it's 1/3 of a game, and that's awful. Also, where's my countdown timer option

But maybe your experience is typical for people who don't have years of quake experience, in which case QC is just another game that won't reignite the actually-fun-FPS genre (sometimes called arena shooters for some stupid reason).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pastamania posted:

The last time I played Quake 3 was maybe 2006? And this game (specifically FFA DM) is exactly the poo poo I was looking for. In 16 hours of playing, I've gotten first place exactly 1 time (but 2nd or 3rd a bunch of other times), and I still love it.

Also, I used to die a ton until I started focusing on getting good guns first and then fighting guys. Turns out running headlong into the enemy with the starting gun isn't a great idea!!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Turns out running headlong into the enemy with the starting gun isn't a great idea!!
You're supposed to run headlong into the enemy with the gauntlet. Duh!

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

There are going to be lots of people who played quake for the last 16 years (hi) and don't care about QC (hi) because it adds nothing new while being a shittier package.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cougar cub posted:

There are going to be lots of people who played quake for the last 16 years (hi) and don't care about QC (hi) because it adds nothing new while being a shittier package.

I'm still on Quake Live and a lot of people I play with who left for Quake Champions have come back because they don't like it

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Avenging Dentist posted:

Turns out running headlong into the enemy with the starting gun isn't a great idea!!

With some practice, the starting shotgun can be pretty viable compared to the others, it can dish out some hurt.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Xenaero posted:

With some practice, the starting shotgun can be pretty viable compared to the others, it can dish out some hurt.

Good to know. My shotgun flicks are terribad and I tend to rely on the RL and LG (LG's fairly easy for me because I play a lot of Zarya in Overwatch). I used to be pretty good with the shotgun in Q3A but that was ages ago. Guess I better practice more.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The shotgun is one of the best starting weapons.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Real exclusive actual hat in the latest patch. Made by actual game makers and not some weird joke made using recycled assets in a server-side mod.

Unfortunately you cannot buy this $60 hat unless you own QC in Steam.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 16, 2017

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
still no classic duel zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Pomp posted:

still no classic duel zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's all about that KOF style 3-v-3 team select, coupled with a demo showing how to play the game on NeoGeo arcade stick.

Embrace the change.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Christ, the updates for this are a bit over the top.

I updated it a day or two ago, 12gb. Even with my connection, that takes around 20-25 minutes.

Tried playing again today, another 12gb patch, wutdahell.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Christ, the updates for this are a bit over the top.

I updated it a day or two ago, 12gb. Even with my connection, that takes around 20-25 minutes.

Tried playing again today, another 12gb patch, wutdahell.
Steam or Beth Launcher? On Steam the most recent patch was ~74mb.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
It might say 12Gb, but it's much smaller than that. Dunno how it is on Bathesda launcher but Steam is most likely going to be the ideal platform to play the game on.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

With Bethesda's launcher, every patch is a 12GB patch because I can't apply patches. I have to just delete and redownload the entire game. It claims there's either insufficient space or problem accessing a file.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Just bought the Steam version for £5 off a key site instead. :thunk:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

DreamHack Denver is this weekend. good thing they fixed a bunch of stuff since the last patch...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpicyManlySmoothieSaltBae

This game is a mess

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
couple questions;
is it just me or is weapon switching super slow?
is there a way to permanently set your default starting weapon?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

couple questions;
is it just me or is weapon switching super slow?
is there a way to permanently set your default starting weapon?
Weapon switch delay itself is small but weapon reload delay is added to switches. So if you rail then try to switch to LG there's a big delay between firing the rail and switching to LG. If you LG and then switch to rail it's at most 0.05s more than the base delay.

I don't think there's any way set your default weapon.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

kaschei posted:

Weapon switch delay itself is small but weapon reload delay is added to switches. So if you rail then try to switch to LG there's a big delay between firing the rail and switching to LG. If you LG and then switch to rail it's at most 0.05s more than the base delay.

I don't think there's any way set your default weapon.

Ah right, rail to anything was the combo I was going for. Guess i'll just stick to the announcer saying "impressive" right before I die (until my movement improves enough to get to the armor first .)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BattleHamster posted:

DreamHack Denver is this weekend. good thing they fixed a bunch of stuff since the last patch...

This game is a mess

"uh the lg was this strong in past games " :goonsay:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

BattleHamster posted:

This game is a mess
They just pushed a patch to fix this and only this so hopefully the DH Denver finals won't be jitterbug mirrors.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
New patch gives me massive frame drops every time someone ults

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i think there's a memory leak also. my framerate went all fucky after about 4 matches.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

DreamHack Denver QC tournament has started:

https://www.twitch.tv/quakechampions

Exact schedule is unclear but it looks like Sacrifice is first, Duels are later on in the day, and finals for both are tomorrow.

LG is really bad now with the most recent patch on Wednesday so it will be at least somewhat interesting to see how things play out with its limited use. However, expect to see some really drawn out duel matches.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/113893/weapon-fire-rates-are-linked-to-frame-rates-clip-included

real glad i never payed for this garbage fire

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The worst part of that is that it's real easy to shift blame onto it.

That said, I've sometimes thought about posting / whining about getting absolutely melted by LG users sometimes. Especially when I was going LG vs LG against someone and I had armour, but died nonetheless, even when I thought I had pretty decent tracking at the time.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
they seem to have mostly ironed out the bandwidth usage being tied to framerate issue so hopefully they'll fix this easily enough. still baffling that these issues were there in the first place but i guess (post-carmack) id are only human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is loving stupid and I have no idea how something like this even comes about. They don't even have the excuse games like Dark Souls had where things are locked on a console so everything is programmed around one framerate. loving EVERYTHING in our games are framerate independent and we're certainly not making something as high profile as loving Quake.