Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, so what's the general meta look like for multiplayer? I only got into TWW1 MP at the end where people had gotten time to write poo poo down but I don't really know how all the different new factions handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mukip posted:

Yeah but End Times isn't really Warhammer, whatever GW says. It's meant to bridge the gap between the Warhammer setting and Age of Sigmar's, and without the stalking horse of AoS it would have been written a lot differently (if at all).

I'm not even talking End Times! Storm of Chaos, and the various campaigns surrounding it are nothing but "EMPIRE DOING ALL THE LEGWORK. WHERE DWARFS? DEAD. WHERE ELVES? ULTHUAN YET AGAIN. WHERE BRET? GREAT QUESTION. TECLIS HERE THO."

Lizards? Lizards don't do poo poo even in the Lizard source books and chill in Lustria. Worst planet defenders ever.

Realize when I say Orcs did more for man, I mean Grimgor kicking Archaon in the balls and wandering off. When I say Vampires I can also mean Nagash vs Chaos p1 ancient history edition.

The history of WHFB allies is them doing gently caress all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rookersh posted:

Literally the only faction that isn't an abyssal failure is the Empire.

The Empire spent roughly half of its time as an extant entity engaged in devastating civil wars over Who Gets To Be Emperor This Time which left it so completely hosed that if it weren't for the intervention of the dwarfs(vampire wars, specifically mannfred) and the high elves(teclis showing up to teach them magic and hang around to help them during the great chaos incursion) every human would be loving dead. The actual intelligent, good decision making of the Empire mostly occurs under Karl Franz, who is an unusually competent and effective leader and every race has had a few of those.

Ain't nobody in this setting free of making dumb, horribly self-destructive decisions.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, so what's the general meta look like for multiplayer? I only got into TWW1 MP at the end where people had gotten time to write poo poo down but I don't really know how all the different new factions handle

Dark Elves are best elves. Skaven are probably the weakest faction if you discount some unintended bugs that make them OP, but the balance between factions is okay overall.

Mazdamundi is absurdly powerful even in quick battles. He can use the powerful Ruination of Cities and Banishment spells as free casts, while c-c-combo'ing Net of Amyntok + Comet of Cassandora, while knocking enemies around like bowling pins on the back of his stegadon. He costs a quarter of your army but it's fitting for a Slann to be the game's most devastating wizard.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
skaven are the actual good guys

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Perestroika posted:

Dark Elves don't exactly want to destroy it. Their whole plan is taking the shitload of magic that is flying around in the Vortex and siphoning it straight into Malekith, which would basically make him god king of the world. As for the demons, they probably figure they can either beat or treat with them once they're done, because Elves are nothing if not full of Hubris.

There wouldn't be any demons. The vortex collects magic from the world and shoots it back into the chaos realms. Malekith wants to have the option of shooting some, or all, of that magic into himself whenever he wants.

The skaven have a plan inside a plan.
Plan 1:
As long as the vortex is weakened by the comet they can try to take control of it and instead of shooting the excess magic into the chaos realm they can condense it into warpstone. Warpstone powers their mages, some of their technology and acts as hyper cocaine.
Plan 2:
The rats plan inside a plan is that there is no comet and the vortex is NOT vulnerable.
Yet, by making everyone think it is, they ensure the vortex gets hit by a bunch of rituals trying to take control. And in doing so, weakening the vortex.
Plan 13: Taking control of the vortex lets them do more than go on a species-wide cocaine binge. All that power shooting into the chaos realm can be stabilized into a portal for their god to manifest, permanently,
in the world. Chaos demons and gods need a lot of magic around them to stay manifested in the world.
The Vortex provides plenty.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 15, 2017

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

There wouldn't be any demons. The vortex collects magic from the world and shoots it back into the chaos realms. Malekith wants to have the option of shooting some, or all, of that magic into himself whenever he wants.

The skaven have a plan inside a plan.
Plan 1:
As long as the vortex is weakened by the comet they can try to take control of it and instead of shooting the excess magic into the chaos realm they can condense it into warpstone. Warpstone powers their mages, some of their technology and acts as hyper cocaine.
Plan 2:
The rats plan inside a plan is that there is no comet and the vortex is NOT vulnerable.
Yet, by making everyone think it is, they ensure the vortex gets hit by a bunch of rituals trying to take control. And in doing so, weakening the vortex.
Plan 13: Taking control of the vortex lets them do more than go on a species-wide cocaine binge. All that power shooting into the chaos realm can be stabilized into a portal for their god to manifest, permanently,
in the world. Chaos demons and gods need a lot of magic around them to stay manifested in the world.
The Vortex provides plenty.

Is one of the clans led by Emperor Shaddam IV?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So here's a question I was wondering about: How do they Skaven Lords end up in the campaign? I know that all the other LL's become crazy powerful but I haven't heard much hype for Queek becoming the best duelist ever or Skrolk becoming a magic powerhouse.

Is the lack of mounts noticeably crippling?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why isn't there a way to raze a city but just kidnap all the people rather than murder them? That seems like the correct thing to do for an rear end in a top hat like me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Third World Reggin posted:

lol lizardmen don't want to save the world

they want to follow some grand design that is broken, fixed by some skink with crayons, then told to them by someone with sleep apnea who can't form coherent sentences

they just want to stick to a plan despite it not working

Sorta. It’s worth noting that in the original invasion of Chaos that

A) The vast majority of the daemons were fighting the Lizardmen in Lustria

B) The Vortex was not created by Caledor alone. It only worked because the Slann noticed it being created and actively worked to reinforce it. This led to numerous first generation Slann dying because they were mentally Not Present.

It’s also worth noting that “warmbloods not part of the Great Plan fukken kill em all” is not the consensus amongst Slann. Mazdamundi is just an rear end in a top hat :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 15, 2017

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Did they remove the demand/offer gold for X number of terms option from diplomacy? I kinda miss that. Demanding tribute to not burn your victims' cities would play great when you're Beastmen, Greenskins, or DElves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s also worth noting that “warmbloods not part of the Great Plan fukken kill em all” is not the consensus amongst Slann. Mazdamundi is just an rear end in a top hat :v:

Mazdamundi is basically a dumb piece of poo poo who knows just enough to be really, really dangerous.

He is also the oldest living Slaan.

Kroak's force ghost should really tell the guy to chill out a little some time.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The only real way to "win" would be to close the source of magic at the north and south pole. Deep in the chaos wastes. But good luck reaching that without the chaos gods noticing your plan and going all out to stop it. And close to the north pole demons can manifest just fine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, I just went to look up Mazda's backstory on 1d4 and this is the entire article:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nephthys posted:

So here's a question I was wondering about : How do they Skaven Lords end up in the campaign? I know that all the other LL's become crazy powerful but I haven't heard much hype for Queek becoming the best duelist ever or Skrolk becoming a magic powerhouse.

Is the lack of mounts noticeably crippling?

They're pretty boss by the time they hit max level. The tough call with Queek is whether you're going to build him for Stormvermin or for clanrats/slaves. Skrolk obviously just goes slaves.

My level 40 Queek took out krok gar pretty handily last night in a 1v1 duel but Queek had the head-taker special and was significantly higher level with better gear (talisman of preservation, etc.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're pretty boss by the time they hit max level. The tough call with Queek is whether you're going to build him for Stormvermin or for clanrats/slaves. Skrolk obviously just goes slaves.

Wait what? You mean Plague Monks for Skrolk right?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, once you kill off your main rival as either Queek or Kroq-gar, the game really starts dragging if you're playing tall and just farming ritual resources. And IMO, on VH, playing tall is pretty much a necessity because lol you're not defending all your poo poo with the massive upkeep increase per new army.

Really wish the final ritual didn't cost that much resources, or maybe if there were more chances to get more of them. Maybe sacking/razing settlements of established empires (and only if the settlement isn't suffering from sacking cooldown) should get you a flat amount, at least to encourage doing something else apart from sitting pretty and waiting on missions.

Yeah, this is my main gripe with the vortex campaign. There's effectively no short victory condition and the mechanics of the vortex race discourage expanding too much, so there's too much thumb twiddling in general.

Even just making the AI intervention stacks less absurd would make it easier to roam around and leave cheaper armies at home for defense but nope.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
They're both pretty good. Queek is a good 1v1 powerhouse that has really good armor piercing capability, and Skrolk gets an AoE stink cloud passive that lets him wade through enemies and slowly sandblast their HP down along with his AoE spells.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait what? You mean Plague Monks for Skrolk right?

Those are flankers not your tarpit. But yeah, I just meant your front line melee with skrolk can be disposable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

They're both pretty good. Queek is a good 1v1 powerhouse that has really good armor piercing capability, and Skrolk gets an AoE stink cloud passive that lets him wade through enemies and slowly sandblast their HP down along with his AoE spells.

Skolk also gets the Liber Bubonicus which is the most powerful single target spell in the game atm. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, once you kill off your main rival as either Queek or Kroq-gar, the game really starts dragging if you're playing tall and just farming ritual resources. And IMO, on VH, playing tall is pretty much a necessity because lol you're not defending all your poo poo with the massive upkeep increase per new army.

Really wish the final ritual didn't cost that much resources, or maybe if there were more chances to get more of them. Maybe sacking/razing settlements of established empires (and only if the settlement isn't suffering from sacking cooldown) should get you a flat amount, at least to encourage doing something else apart from sitting pretty and waiting on missions.

At least Kroq-gar has a forever-war with the vampires (wading through corruption to kill them is far too much effort).

All of Queek's neighbours like him once the lizards, beard-things and elves in the local area are all dead. He becomes an end turn button presser, while you raid your own provinces for money/food. I left a couple of heroes to scout out problems in the north and watched a few of Tyrion's armies get swallowed by the desert. Cult of Pleasure sent out one sheepish looking army all game, which got crushed by two bored rat armies the instant they waded ashore.

It's easy to defend the Chaos/Skaven invasions since there isn't much ground to cover and you end up super wealthy due to not suffering the upkeep penalty all game. :woop:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also apparently flame cannon range got buffed, did people actually check to make sure it works because iirc range increases for arty were broken in the first game

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

StashAugustine posted:

Also apparently flame cannon range got buffed, did people actually check to make sure it works because iirc range increases for arty were broken in the first game

iirc the range issue was multiple things, and engineer range buffs not working unless they were in range of the engineer at the start of the battle, after that proximity to the engineer didn't matter

I didn't measure the range, but I tried flame cannons and it got more kills than cannons against skaven.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently the main reason for Organ Guns becoming insanely good now is that either their damage per shot/barrage (I'm unclear on this, probably the latter because otherwise lol) was increased from 260 to 360. Coupled with Irondrakes getting some AP damage and Trollhammer Irondrakes getting an even bigger bonus to anti-large, I'm now considering a Dwarf army composition I've always wanted to try but was disappointed in every time I tested it back in TW1: replacing all your ranged infantry with either Irondrake teams or artillery.

I'm thinking 2 Cannons, 4 Organ Guns, 2 Irondrakes, and 2 Trollhammers. In a way it's basically what I use for Skaven now, but Dwarfs can replicate it to a degree since Organ Guns actually do have enough of an arc to them that they can usually shoot back at enemy ranged units once the melee begins. And if they're really killing at a ridiculous rate (even without Master Engineer bonuses and veterancy), I can only imagine how ragged the enemy line will be once they get close.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Thunderer gunlines and their ability to terminate Lords/Heroes stupid enough to run ahead of their melee core. But man, they usually got most of their kills after the enemy line breaks and are running for their lives, and I really want to see a Dwarf army just completely shatter an enemy army on the approach like my Skaven grand battery can.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Skaven food mechanic honestly feels poorly thought out. It seems to be intended for you to care about balancing it, but with the way it works that's kind of impossible if you decide to go wide and map paint because of the flat penalty for every settlement under your control. You can mitigate it to some extent by making some nothing armies and raiding constantly but the wider you go the less that works because the % upkeep increase for more lords rapidly renders escalation in number of raiding armies unsustainable.

I pretty much just resigned to having it permanently at the worst possible level and not interacting with it anymore, considering that conquering Lustria will sit you at like -45 per turn just from settlements and I get about 22 food for killing 4000 people in a battle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

The Skaven food mechanic honestly feels poorly thought out. It seems to be intended for you to care about balancing it, but with the way it works that's kind of impossible if you decide to go wide and map paint because of the flat penalty for every settlement under your control. You can mitigate it to some extent by making some nothing armies and raiding constantly but the wider you go the less that works because the % upkeep increase for more lords rapidly renders escalation in number of raiding armies unsustainable.

I pretty much just resigned to having it permanently at the worst possible level and not interacting with it anymore, considering that conquering Lustria will sit you at like -45 per turn just from settlements and I get about 22 food for killing 4000 people in a battle.

Are you aiming for settlements with the pasture resource? That alone gives you +4 food at the base level, up to +6 at level 3. I never had any problems with food in my entire Queek campaign and ended up covering most of the right side of the map by the end of the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited for the ogre food mechanic in the future

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you aiming for settlements with the pasture resource? That alone gives you +4 food at the base level, up to +6 at level 3. I never had any problems with food in my entire Queek campaign and ended up covering most of the right side of the map by the end of the game.

There are almost none of those in the entirety of Lustria. There's one in the province to your south at the beginning, Skrolk's starting province has one in effect(special building with +5 food), and IIRC there's one up around Mazdamundi. That's it, all the rest of Southern Lustria is completely pasture free. I've painted everything south of Ssildra Tor.

This is also with taking the food option after every battle and having 5 raid squads working and half my provinces on food production.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Queek's a lot easier to manage for food than Skrolk. Every other province in not-Africa has a field on it, then you get 3 more from the Wood Elves settlement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you want, you can even push your "borders" into the first desert province as well, not just for the pasture but also to have a layer of regions keeping the Wood Elf province insulated from border conflict.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Kanos posted:

There are almost none of those in the entirety of Lustria. There's one in the province to your south at the beginning, Skrolk's starting province has one in effect(special building with +5 food), and IIRC there's one up around Mazdamundi. That's it, all the rest of Southern Lustria is completely pasture free. I've painted everything south of Ssildra Tor.

Are you setting up also the province commandments? The -30% tax hit isn't that much of a big of deal cause despite everything Skaven armies aren't that expensive, and most building chains aren't that worth investing outside of key provinces.

You can also consider crossing the sea and go grab the other two food generating provinces in the Southland plus the Wood Elves city also produces food.

New Butt Order posted:

Queek's a lot easier to manage for food than Skrolk. Every other province in not-Africa has a field on it, then you get 3 more from the Wood Elves settlement.

Not sure about that. Skroll has a a food unique building in a city right next to it's starting zone and it's a ruin, while Queek has to travel north and deal with either Teclan or Zatlan or take out Krok'gar capital. On the other hand, once you done with Krok and the other Lizardlosers there's nothing else that can threaten Queek, including the Dumb island elves or the dwarves. The Vampires won't bother you either, while with Skroll it's never ending war from all sides after the first 20-30 turns.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
The only thing that sucks about that wood elf settlement is that it is uninhabitable climate for Skaven and unwalled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Are you setting up also the province commandments? The -30% tax hit isn't that much of a big of deal cause despite everything Skaven armies aren't that expensive, and most building chains aren't that worth investing outside of key provinces.

You can also consider crossing the sea and go grab the other two food generating provinces in the Southland plus the Wood Elves city also produces food.

Not sure about that. Skroll has a a food unique building in a city right next to it's starting zone and it's a ruin, while Queek has to travel north and deal with either Teclan or Zatlan or take out Krok'gar capital. On the other hand, once you done with Krok and the other Lizardlosers there's nothing else that can threaten Queek, including the Dumb island elves or the dwarves. The Vampires won't bother you either, while with Skroll it's never ending war from all sides after the first 20-30 turns.

I've got 6 provinces on the food commandment(the tax hit does matter when you're trying to field more lords to raid for food), 5 raid squads, and all possible food buildings built(all two of them!). It doesn't keep up at all with the flat penalty from having a ton of territory, especially since the food commandment doesn't even make a 3 settlement province food neutral.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Kanos posted:

This mod (of mine) may interest you:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167206768

It's a pretty balanced, small buff to skaven food by adding food to various levels of some specific resource building/landmarks. I feel skaven don't have too much use for resource building as they rarely trade, so this helps give those buildings more purpose. Also ports give a food.

Tell me if you think it's fair/balanced.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Electronico6 posted:

I should have said that Queek's a lot easier to manage food for in the long run. For Skrolk, the idea of peace is an ever looming threat that you can't really afford. Once Queek's established he doesn't need to raid/war.

Also Queek's got a unique building in his starting city for another small food boost.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was permanently at minimum food in my Queek campaign towards the end, I held most of the southeast continent and had half a dozen privinces on the southwest continent so I think I just got too big for it to ever be manageable. it never really caused any issues with public order but that was on Hard, I could see it getting annoying on VH or higher

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I've noticed that turns take a lot longer in Warhammer 2 versus Warhammer 1. Is this because they were more calculations actually going on in the turns, or simply because the whole game is more demanding on your system graphically? I've never noticed any slowdowns in the slightest in battles even on the highest settings.

Is there any way to tweak the graphics settings just for the campaign map? Most of the options seem to apply to both. Any particular settings that you would suggest changing? The water certainly looks pretty, but even though the lowest setting on to imagine that is a significant amount of the total resources being used. Any way to make it static?

I would be happy to significantly degrade the campaign graphics if I can speed up the turns. Isn't it on the same engine as Warhammer one? The turns seem to take way, way, way longer.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried the faction unlocker on the human factions? Are enough of their units in the game to make it worthwhile?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I was permanently at minimum food in my Queek campaign towards the end, I held most of the southeast continent and had half a dozen privinces on the southwest continent so I think I just got too big for it to ever be manageable. it never really caused any issues with public order but that was on Hard, I could see it getting annoying on VH or higher

Yeah, even with minimum food I'm not really having any major public order problems but it feels quite silly to have a racial mechanic that I don't bother interacting with at all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Diogines posted:

I've noticed that turns take a lot longer in Warhammer 2 versus Warhammer 1. Is this because they were more calculations actually going on in the turns, or simply because the whole game is more demanding on your system graphically? I've never noticed any slowdowns in the slightest in battles even on the highest settings.

Is there any way to tweak the graphics settings just for the campaign map? Most of the options seem to apply to both. Any particular settings that you would suggest changing? The water certainly looks pretty, but even though the lowest setting on to imagine that is a significant amount of the total resources being used. Any way to make it static?

I would be happy to significantly degrade the campaign graphics if I can speed up the turns. Isn't it on the same engine as Warhammer one? The turns seem to take way, way, way longer.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried the faction unlocker on the human factions? Are enough of their units in the game to make it worthwhile?
I agree, and even playing long, crazily modded Warhammer 1 campaigns didn't take this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Turns take longer the more stacks the AI has to move around. So, as the game goes on more stacks exist and thus turn times take longer. This is all CPU-bound.

Click on the camera icon in the upper left during AI turns to change the camera settings though. For whatever reason they made the UI worse/less intuitive for telling it to skip shifting your camera around. This can make turns take around the same was WH1 where you probably had similar settings selected in a much more visible menu. That would be the only thing that graphic settings should affect.