Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I just need it for Blood Moon mainly. I have Primus now too. It's fine. It could be a Grip, but I find being cheaper to be relevant sometimes.

I've had worse run-ins with Leyline and Runed Halo, I'm surprised that you're running so much more SB artifact hate than enchantment hate even with a mainboard Primus.

VV Fair

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
There is Lantern Control and Affinity in my meta. I can beat a Leyline, they just die to 6/6 Tramplers or an Emrakul. Plus you can tutor up Primus in a pinch.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 13, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Taking this pile to modern FNM tonight:

quote:

Windswept Heath
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Wooded Foothills
Flooded Grove
2 Island
2 Forest
Mountain
Stomping Ground
2 Steam Vents
2 Breeding Pool
Botanical Sanctum
Spirebluff Canal

4 Lightning Bolt
2 Tarfire
2 Stubborn Denial
Spell Pierce
3 Opt
Rancor
Void Snare
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
Remand
Deprive
2 Mana Leak
Scavenging Ooze
4 Tireless Tracker
Nissa, Steward of Elements
Vendilion Clique
Cryptic Command
2 Huntmaster of the Fells

SB
Negate
Beast Within
3 Blood Moon
2 Spell Pierce
Void Snare
Disdainful Stroke
Huntmaster of the Fells
Engineered Explosives
Destructive Revelry
Ancient Grudge
2 Surgical Extraction

I might try to find room for 1-2 Logic Knot even though it feels bad with goyf.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting bored with playing Lands in horrible matchups. Rocking this tonight:

Deck: UR Omnitell

//Main
2 Ancient Tomb
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Brainstorm
4 Cunning Wish
2 Dream Halls
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Force of Will
4 Impulse
6 Island
4 Omniscience
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Show and Tell
2 Spell Pierce
1 Split Decision
2 Volcanic Island

//Sideboard
3 Blood Moon
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Firemind's Foresight
1 Flusterstorm
1 Intuition
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pyroclasm
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Release the Ants
1 Sudden Shock
1 Wipe Away

Display deck statistics

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 13, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

That's not a pile. THIS is a pile!

Pretend there's another 2 cards in there. I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

That's not a pile. THIS is a pile!

Pretend there's another 2 cards in there. I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

I see two Tainted Pact, could be more pile-y IMO

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sometimes you have to Pact for a Pact obviously.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
2-0-1 with temur things. Drew against a 4c control deck, but scooped to him because we'd been bullshitting and I was super dead on board. Beat skred and turns. :toot: foil dinosaur token yay

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ok well I'm literally the only one who showed up to legacy so screw this dead bad format. I guess I win FNM.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My math might be a little fuzzy, but it feels pretty good to be able to count to nine as of today.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ville Valo posted:

My math might be a little fuzzy, but it feels pretty good to be able to count to nine as of today.

I saw an ebay lot the other day for a "pile of old magic cards" with the bidding at $1,200 with a day left. Was wondering why because from the thumbnails, it just looked like an bunch of Revised and Unlimited commons spread out in an arc. But after checking closer, there was an Unlimited Time Walk randomly in the pile that you could barely make out because the photo quality was kind of poo poo.

I'd like to know how many card slingers there are that just comb through lots like that. :v:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every once in a great while, you score an expensive item on eBay for cheap because the seller mispelled the item's name.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was able to snipe a lot a couple weeks ago just because it happened to pop up with a minute to go, was for under $80 and was listed as having a Wheel of Fortune in it. So, I snagged it because I could use another one for EDH.

Turns out, the Wheel was Unlimited and LP+, and came with a FoW, Land Tax, and beat up Vamp Tutor. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 14, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I saw an ebay lot the other day for a "pile of old magic cards" with the bidding at $1,200 with a day left. Was wondering why because from the thumbnails, it just looked like an bunch of Revised and Unlimited commons spread out in an arc. But after checking closer, there was an Unlimited Time Walk randomly in the pile that you could barely make out because the photo quality was kind of poo poo.

I'd like to know how many card slingers there are that just comb through lots like that. :v:

I believe that 90% of such postings are scams of one kind or another. In one case I bought a similar though very cheap lot off of eBay which had what looked like alpha Will-O-The-Wisp and Raving Rivers; in fact they were CE. It didn't matter because it was like a $40 lot with a stack of sol rings in it -- but I would not put more than $40 at something like that. No one is randomly selling piles of cards with time walks in them now. Maybe it was half a time walk :-P

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Can we get a roll call for people going to Eternal Weekend? I fly in on Thursday and am still waffling on what to play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'm going and planning on leaving $10k richer and hopefully not playing this bad game at all.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

I'm going and planning on leaving $10k richer and hopefully not playing this bad game at all.
Do it! Be like me where your only interaction with the game is watching vintage streams on twitch.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

eSporks posted:

Do it! Be like me where your only interaction with the game is watching vintage streams on twitch.

Not true. I saw you watching legacy last night dunking on a bunch of gross nerds.

Also aside from 2 modern FNMs which cost $5 and got me a guaranteed $15 Fatal Push, Twitch has been the entirety of my interaction with this dumb, bad game. FNM this Friday had literally 1 person (me) show up and a few weeks before I almost got run off the road and blew out 2 tires and rims on my way to Saturday monthly legacy. So I think the last time I actually played Magic was like, August? Maybe July.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

okay so me, suicidesteve and esporks so far

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I'll be there Friday and Saturday for sure. Maybe Thursday if I can somehow work out a way to get Friday off without working Thursday but that's not very likely tbh.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

okay so me, suicidesteve and esporks so far
I'll be at home watching on twitch. Make sure to wave hi.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

MODO is such a loving stupid habit. Despite selling off a grand in e-cards a few months ago, I just sold my remaining decks for 800 tickets.... then bought 4c Leovold for 650 of them, leaving me with $150 in fake money to build another (probably surrak control) EDH deck.

gently caress magic.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Surrak control you say ..?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

myDad posted:

Surrak control you say ..?

He's better than you might think because he's in blue and has flash, and also makes your utility creatures uncounterable. So you just do normal control nonsense and then flash him in and try to beat face with him. I think it's a tier 2.5 strategy, but I enjoy playing these colors.

I don't have my old list, but here's what I just tacked back together (this is tuned for 1v1 which is all I play on MODO):

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Very cool!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

He's better than you might think because he's in blue and has flash, and also makes your utility creatures uncounterable. So you just do normal control nonsense and then flash him in and try to beat face with him. I think it's a tier 2.5 strategy, but I enjoy playing these colors.

I don't have my old list, but here's what I just tacked back together (this is tuned for 1v1 which is all I play on MODO):

prophet is banned. (and it makes me sad when I see it)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

prophet is banned. (and it makes me sad when I see it)

not in 1v1 edh on MODO it's not.

sol ring is, though :-P

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hello, friends. Please enjoy the worst deck that will be played in the Vintage Championship tomorrow, by the worst pilot in the tournament (hiding: one Swords to Plowshares)

e: also apparently pictured: my socks

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

hello, friends. Please enjoy the worst deck that will be played in the Vintage Championship tomorrow, by the worst pilot in the tournament (hiding: one Swords to Plowshares)

e: also apparently pictured: my socks

:fap: good luck!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The 0-3 drop dream

Is dead

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The 0-3 drop dream

Is dead

theres supposedly a second tournament today for people who drop early, with double prize support if you were in the main event.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Seems like he’s saying he won a round already, congrat’s

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Boco_T posted:

Seems like he’s saying he won a round already, congrat’s

2 rounds!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to see some BWx planeswalker lists making the rounds in Modern, so I'm looking to finally finish the list I was working on months ago-

Deck: Esper Walkers

//Lands
2 Concealed Courtyard
2 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Shambling Vent
1 Swamp
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
1 Collective Brutality
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
2 Esper Charm
3 Fatal Push
1 Gideon Jura
1 Gideon of the Trials
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
1 Narset Transcendent
3 Path to Exile
4 Serum Visions
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Supreme Verdict
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
2 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Celestial Purge
1 Disenchant
1 Dispel
1 Meddling Mage
3 Negate
1 Runed Halo
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Timely Reinforcements
1 Wrath of God

Display deck statistics
*A third Snapcaster is coming in once I get it, probably replacing the Sorin.

Thoughts? The lists that I've seen have been running more Gideons but I have a lot of random one-of walkers that need a home.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

took some time off legacy, trying to get back into it. It seems like the entire format on MTGO right now is just greedy grindy value decks :-/

what should I play?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

took some time off legacy, trying to get back into it. It seems like the entire format on MTGO right now is just greedy grindy value decks :-/

what should I play?

Yep. Welcome to WotC's vision. Everything midrange forever.

Play Lands. Or Burn I guess.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Yep. Welcome to WotC's vision. Everything midrange forever.

Play Lands. Or Burn I guess.

ANT. Just storm people to death.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what should I play?

like steve said burn is actually pretty good right now. i think patrick sullivan would be cleaning up legacy tournaments if he were so inclined

I played landstill on Saturday at EW. I played like rear end but lots of the deck felt really, really good. The worst cards in the deck were, unsurprisingly, Standstill and Mishra's Factory. Here is something hypothetical that I have not played yet:

//Lands
1 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
1 Karakas
1 Kjeldoran Outpost
3 Plains
3 Scalding Tarn
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island

//Spells
4 Brainstorm
1 Council's Judgment
2 Counterspell
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Enlightened Tutor
4 Force of Will
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Humility
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Ponder
3 Search for Azcanta
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Swords to Plowshares

//Creatures
3 Snapcaster Mage

//Sideboard
1 Baneslayer Angel
1 Blood Moon
2 Containment Priest
2 Flusterstorm
1 Kozilek's Return
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Pithing Needle
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Rest in Peace
1 Surgical Extraction

The idea here is to play the Miracles game, except without all the dumb unplayable bullshit. Search is really, really good. There is not a ton of abrupt decay around right now. running up to 3 is just fine with tutor and you can have both in play once you flip, which is trivially easy. It's possible it's correct to drop a ponder for another threat of some kind - perhaps a gideon. Also very likely that I should have some number of Wear//Tear in my sideboard.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

that looks like more fun than Leovold. Is Kjeldoran Outpost really worth it?

I think I want to play this, am I going to get ripped apart?

quote:

Land (22)

4x Ancient Tomb
2x City of Brass
4x City of Traitors
1x Dark Depths
2x Gemstone Mine
1x Mana Confluence
2x Taiga
2x Thespian's Stage
4x Wasteland

Sorcery (6)

3x Faithless Looting
3x Life from the Loam

Artifact (15)

1x Batterskull
4x Chalice of the Void
2x Crucible of Worlds
2x Ensnaring Bridge
2x Grim Monolith
2x Smokestack
2x Winter Orb

Instant (8)

4x Crop Rotation
4x Lightning Bolt

Planeswalker (4)

2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance
2x Daretti, Scrap Savant

Creature (5)

4x Goblin Welder
1x Metalworker

Sideboard (15)

1x Anger of the Gods
3x Blood Moon
2x Cabal Therapy
3x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Pyroclasm
2x Ramunap Excavator
1x Ravages of War
1x Thoughtseize
1x Wurmcoil Engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you're going to play mud, jam more metalworkers.

Also, you're a turn 1 Chalice deck. You need Cavern of Souls or you're just locking yourself out of cards.

I don't like the lootings or loams. You're an artifact deck, just play more Crucible, and they work with Metalworker. Also: Lodestone Golem is a house.

This is kinda close to my old list:

// Deck: Unnamed (60)

// Lands
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Cavern of Souls
4 City of Traitors
4 Great Furnace
4 Wasteland

// Creatures
1 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Goblin Welder
3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
4 Lodestone Golem
4 Metalworker
1 Platinum Emperion
1 Sundering Titan
3 Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
4 Chalice of the Void
1 Crucible of Worlds
4 Grim Monolith
1 Lightning Greaves
4 Mox Diamond
1 Staff of Domination
3 Trinisphere
1 Voltaic Key

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Crucible of Worlds
SB: 1 Duplicant
SB: 1 Spine of Ish Sah
SB: 1 Steel Hellkite
SB: 1 Trading Post

Once you get to Welder out a Wurmcoil for a Sundering Titan, you'll know you're living right.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 24, 2017