Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Guessing no one is going to lost a screenshot of said cord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

UmOk posted:

Guessing no one is going to lost a screenshot of said cord

It's actually the shot that was posted. I just wasn't looking at a large enough version of the photo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Casual posted:

The extension cord is a representation of Amidala being chained to her position as a publicly elected monarch. Much her like dress, she would lose all power when stepping outside of confines of her expected role.

Nah, see Marx's application of dialetics tells us the truth is the whole picture. Amidala is a monarchal regent in form, but the extension cord shows that she's tied to the material necessities of the infrastructure of Naboo for her power. When she later changes out of the dress, we understand that her essence is a state of flux. She is changing into an imperialist diplomat free of material needs to ruthlessly pursue the aims of her capitalist masters. You see, it's content, not form.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Haha have you guy seen this storm trooper who hits his head on the doorframe? It's like, come on how did that make it into the movie lol fucken amateur hour over here

I like when things like this happen cause then I can feel smarter than the chumps who hosed up

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Haha have you guy seen this storm trooper who hits his head on the doorframe? It's like, come on how did that make it into the movie lol fucken amateur hour over here

I like when things like this happen cause then I can feel smarter than the chumps who hosed up

Yeah it's pretty dope.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Don't hate on Jango

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Most of the things being said tongue-in-cheek about the presence of the extension cord, apply straightforwardly to the dress itself. The glowing rocks sit like weights at the bottom of the dress, pinning the Queen to the palace. Each rock is also a monstrous eye, keeping the Queen in constant surveillance - much like the ever-present palace security.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/919646843096719366

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe they killed that one pod racer and never said anything about it

https://i.imgur.com/Lz9bn3V.gifv

RIP Ratts Tyerell

quote:

After his demise, Tyerell's family was reportedly seen grieving after the race's end. In fact, the little scrapper's death became an emotional event for the entire planet of Aleen, who had lost what was perhaps their most well known resident.[citation needed]

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Uh... is Mark trying to tell us something?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Uh... is Mark trying to tell us something?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't believe they killed that one pod racer and never said anything about it

https://i.imgur.com/Lz9bn3V.gifv

RIP Ratts Tyerell

You literally see it happen on screen, and I'm pretty sure his crying family is in the background of a later scene in the final cut of the film.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Don't all the pod racers die except Anykin and Sebulba?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Don't all the pod racers die except Anykin and Sebulba?

Nope. Tyrel is the sole fatality of the Boonta Eve race we see in Episode I

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I need a 10 part Sebulba comic series plx.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

jivjov posted:

Nope. Tyrel is the sole fatality of the Boonta Eve race we see in Episode I

Sure? I thought most of them exploded

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Sure? I thought most of them exploded

Maybe something's changed in Canon, but in Legends, everyone else survived. Some injured, most with their pods completely wrecked.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

When's the gungan spinoff movie coming out?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

Other than Han, Luke, Leia, Ackbar, and Nien Nunb, there are no characters from the OT, let alone IV, in VII.

uh r2d2 bitch

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

maybe c-3p0? i dont remember.

anyway the big thing about the disney movies is that they're totally sexless and not horny at all. and don't give me that poo poo about the homoeroticism of the duddes whose name i forgot, that barely even counts.

that smg post about sonic and chili dogs really said it all, does anyone have that handy?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will now watch The Phantom Menace and keep an eye out for that dude's grieving family.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zas posted:

that smg post about sonic and chili dogs really said it all, does anyone have that handy?

thread is less than a week old and already needs a name change

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Zas posted:

uh r2d2 bitch

Zas posted:

maybe c-3p0? i dont remember.

Droid aren't characters, they're robots.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

dublish posted:

Droid aren't characters, they're robots.

Insert Mad Max Fury Road gif here

"That's bait"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I need a 10 part Sebulba comic series plx.

He seems like a cool character and I like his weird deaign.

Speaking of spinoffs.
https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/919270625696538625
Tag and Bink were two comedic characters from the Dark Horse comics who set off a number of events seen in the movies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Apologies, I did forget to mention the droids.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The voyage through the core of Naboo rhymes with the asteroid field chase in The Empire Strikes Back. It isn't just the big monsters. Jar Jar panics and Qui-Gon telepathically sedates him, in much the same way that they switched off a panicking C-3PO. To me, this indicates the Jedi's feelings of superiority over him, analogously to anybody else feeling superior to a droid, empowered to simply disable them when they become distracting. Obi-Wan, although a pupil, criticizes him, saying "You overdid it."

"There's always a bigger fish" summarizes so much of the plot.

Darth Maul's hologram emerging from space is still an extremely sick shot.

Shmi says Anakin "was meant to help you."

The whole pod racing sequence deserves all the praise it gets. Fantastic. But somehow I missed the grieving family of the crashed racer. When and where do they appear?

"Your focus determines your reality." Later he'll be locked in that mask that controls what he sees.

Padme mentions her decoy is a bodyguard and later on she's there in full costume shooting droids down. Of course, Padme herself is too. 14 years old, as I recall, though I don't recall from where, as it's not mentioned in the movie. Kids can be action heroes too. The precocity of this pair does make this one stand out in the series, though; it's more natural to see that sort of thing from from full-grown bodies. Not that this movie is especially concerned with naturalism.

I'm going to be paying close attention to why I think the concurrent plots at the climax work better here than in Rogue One, when I get to that one. Each scene change cuts away from a situation that's stable, but more tense than when it began. And all four of them resolve successively, following a direct causal order if there is one. First Padme gets the drop on the Viceroy, which secures the nominal objective of the battle but leaves everybody else we care about still in imminent peril. Then Anakin blows up the droid control ship, and then we see Jar-Jar and Captain What's-His-Name escape from being held at gunpoint as a result. Finally, Obi-Wan jumps out of the hole and kills Darth Maul.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bongo Bill posted:

The voyage through the core of Naboo rhymes with the asteroid field chase in The Empire Strikes Back. It isn't just the big monsters. Jar Jar panics and Qui-Gon telepathically sedates him, in much the same way that they switched off a panicking C-3PO.
Well I'll be damned. :aaa: Almost 20 years I've seen that movie and I never caught that.

E: Just to have something substantial here, you mention that it highlights how superior the Jedi feel to Jar Jar, but the comparison also really makes me feel for Threepio, and just how weird it is that the characters in ESB can casually turn a person off. Threepio isn't exactly respected throughout the OT, but he's usually disrespected in the way you would a human, with insults and threats. Offhandedly treating him like a piece of machinery is actually kind of strange and stands out.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 16, 2017

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of spinoffs.
Tag and Bink were two comedic characters from the Dark Horse comics who set off a number of events seen in the movies.

Never heard of them before but a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Star Wars would be awesome. I doubt Disney would let anything that cool happen though

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alternate TLJ trailer

https://instagram.com/p/BaR2ZmOFWma/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just bought my tickets for the first showing of the Last Jedi. Finally going to grad school in a small city pays off.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well I'll be damned. :aaa: Almost 20 years I've seen that movie and I never caught that.

Probably because the guy is recalling it wrong and they aren't actually direct companion scenes at all - the scene with Threepio being turned off is long after the asteroid chase sequence, when they've left the asteroid field and are chilling out unseen on the back of the Star Destroyer.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Probably because the guy is recalling it wrong and they aren't actually direct companion scenes at all - the scene with Threepio being turned off is long after the asteroid chase sequence, when they've left the asteroid field and are chilling out unseen on the back of the Star Destroyer.

"Shut him up or shut him down"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Obi-Wan: Why were you banished Jar-Jar?
Jar-Jar Binks: It's a longo taleo buta small part of it would be mesa... clumsy
Obi-Wan: You were banished because you were clumsy?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yousa might'n be sayin dat.

Mesa cause one, two-y little bitty axadentes, huh?

("It's on automatic pilot!")

Yud say boom de gasser,

("Oops!")

den crashin der bosses heyblibber,

("Yippee!")

den banished.

("Peace!")

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should've banished Anakin.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obi-Wan: Why were you banished Jar-Jar?
Jar-Jar Binks: It's a longo taleo buta small part of it would be mesa... clumsy
Obi-Wan: You were banished because you were clumsy?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yousa might'n be sayin dat.

Mesa cause one, two-y little bitty axadentes, huh?

("It's on automatic pilot!")

Yud say boom de gasser,

("Oops!")

den crashin der bosses heyblibber,

("Yippee!")

den banished.

("Peace!")

Jar Jar and Anakin as pharmakoi. The former was banished to the surface, the latter to the Jedi order.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So what I realize about The Phantom Menace is that it violates one of the sacred covenants of pop entertainment: it lacks an aspirational audience surrogate protagonist. This is not actually a problem, of course, but it's disorienting if you come in expecting to find someone cool to project yourself onto and you find the only one with a Campbellian arc is Goofy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

homullus posted:

Jar Jar and Anakin as pharmakoi. The former was banished to the surface, the latter to the Jedi order.

Jar Jar is a Sith Lord theory confirmed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jar Jar does the bidding of a Sith Lord to further the war effort, much like Count Dooku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of spinoffs.

Give me a Tag and Bink film. Hey, you know who'd be good directors for that? Miller and Lord.