Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Allison turning off her own morality because it was going to get in the way of poo poo Getting Done is way more interesting than any mind control nonsense.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure handing someone an ON/OFF switch for their moral center counts as mind control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

the old ceremony posted:

"lord of the pit more like lord of the poo poo imo" - solomon david's beard

Mother Om, Imperiatrix of the Gates of Fire, posted:

Do not stare too long at the Pit. Do not underestimate the Pit, you sorry little fools. It has claws, and it will not hesitate to sink them into your unwilling flesh and drag you shrieking into the dark.

Bilirubin posted:

I'm the flock of birds circling giant Alison's head
:same:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I think this is part of his MO. He's been tinkering in her mind unlocking that AMBITION and to do that he's had to isolate her other personality traits. He's compartmentalised her brain.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm laughing at Incubus saying he's busy running his empire. What, is he having a particularly rough day sweeping ambition-addicts off his veranda?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm laughing at Incubus saying he's busy running his empire. What, is he having a particularly rough day sweeping ambition-addicts off his veranda?

You say that like it's so implausible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Eugh they just get into everything

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure handing someone an ON/OFF switch for their moral center counts as mind control.

Yeah to me it seems most likely that Incubus has handed control of Allison over to the power fantasy part of her brain. "You're in control" is not a complete lie but it's hiding the part he's playing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ha, I'm glad it turned out that this isn't Incubus taking over Alison. I guess he was being genuine with Jagganoth.

Also...yeah. I completely forgot that Incubus owns 1/7th of the universe and probably can only send out proxies for so long.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Given Incubus's surprise, how different is Allison from the rest of his ambition addicts?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

White Coke posted:

Given Incubus's surprise, how different is Allison from the rest of his ambition addicts?

Most of his ambition addicts aren't the chosen heir of the multiverse.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Schwarzwald posted:

Most of his ambition addicts aren't the chosen heir of the multiverse.

Plus his own power doesn't derive from what is in their heads

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I think Incubus is 100% playing her here. Like, sure, "she's" in control, but evidently there's multiple drives warring for control of her actions and she's been locked out of the driving seat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dog Kisser posted:

I think Incubus is 100% playing her here. Like, sure, "she's" in control, but evidently there's multiple drives warring for control of her actions and she's been locked out of the driving seat.

Every person has multiple drives warring for control of their actions, and Allison is literally sitting in the driver's seat.

Allison played herself.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I want to believe that the GIANT WOMAN is Allison's ambition, unburdened by morals, conscience, or insecurity. Incubus's power just freed the titan. She's got a full crown manifested and it's maintaining shape, unlike "real" Allison, who only manages sparks at a time that dissipate almost immediately. The crown isn't even in Incubus's style, so I doubt it's some ploy from him. This is Allison's will to be ROYALTY that's shoved the rest of her out of the driver's seat.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If everybody has multiple competing impulses controlling their actions, Incubus locking out all of them except the narrow fragment that does exactly what he wants doesn't leave them in control.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

pseudorandom name posted:

If everybody has multiple competing impulses controlling their actions, Incubus locking out all of them except the narrow fragment that does exactly what he wants doesn't leave them in control.

I see no evidence he's 'locked them out' though. He delivered exactly what he promised: the part of her that hesitates and thinks 'no this is wrong' put in the backseat. I don't see why people are trying to make Incubus dishonest; this is exactly what Allison wanted. Just, she really shouldn't have wanted it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like incubus's little #1 God mug.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Joe Slowboat posted:

I see no evidence he's 'locked them out' though. He delivered exactly what he promised: the part of her that hesitates and thinks 'no this is wrong' put in the backseat. I don't see why people are trying to make Incubus dishonest; this is exactly what Allison wanted. Just, she really shouldn't have wanted it.

This. "All these hilarious losers needed was a little ambition. But ambition takes hard work, and who has time for that? Better to let me unlock your potential."

She is now being driven by her ambition, with all the other dumb things--like hesitance, or guilt, or fear--taking the backest of back seats. She's getting exactly what he offered.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

i still want allison to murder the poo poo out of incubus, is that so wrong? :shobon:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

NachtSieger posted:

i still want allison to murder the poo poo out of incubus, is that so wrong? :shobon:

Incubus is an enabler and a manipulator of singular capability and scope. So, no.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

NachtSieger posted:

Nah that sounds great, just, not yet, he's good evil mentor/final boss material.

Also, 'enabler' is the perfect word for Incubus.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There is no way Incubus makes it out of this story alive so it's not really a matter of "if" so much as "when" and possibly "how detailed will the splash page featuring his excessively violent demise be?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I actually hope that Incubus does survive. To my knowledge he's the only person never to have lied to Allison, and if anything he's been incredibly forward about everything. Out of everyone in the comic besides the handmaiden girl (Naveen?) he's the only one who's transparent.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Incubus is a monster of unfathomable scope, lets not forget here.

That said, I hope that his inevitable demise is delayed for a good while yet because he's an extremely entertaining/affable monster of unfathomable scope.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Incubus the second demiurge we've seen the little info card for? Sword King of the middle army and bearer of the word Flame.

I could just be remembering wrong, but my impression was that Incubus was going to be defeated next. Getting a cool name card did not do Mottom much good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I hope she just pries out his jewel with the tip of a broken sword or something and returns him to a regular human. Leave him to rot in his creepy hell pit.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Wittgen posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Incubus the second demiurge we've seen the little info card for? Sword King of the middle army and bearer of the word Flame.

I could just be remembering wrong, but my impression was that Incubus was going to be defeated next. Getting a cool name card did not do Mottom much good.

As learned on this page, Mottom is far from defeated and is mostly likely on her way to show Allison what the word GLORY means.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah to me it seems most likely that Incubus has handed control of Allison over to the power fantasy part of her brain. "You're in control" is not a complete lie but it's hiding the part he's playing.

This is way scarier than everyone saying it's ambition in control, because ambition actually has a goal and would probably be reasonably pragmatic in pursuing it.

Power fantasies on the other hand are loving monstrous, and while they may ultimately lead to real power due to a lack of moral distractions they will also include terrifying poo poo like "I got bored of everyone in the room and I have a bit of a headache, so I murdered them all and also blew up half the city before realising I should probably just drink some water".

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Power fantasy? Oh my god I like that, I like that a lot.The crown is something of a delusion in that theory.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Who What Now posted:

I actually hope that Incubus does survive. To my knowledge he's the only person never to have lied to Allison, and if anything he's been incredibly forward about everything. Out of everyone in the comic besides the handmaiden girl (Naveen?) he's the only one who's transparent.

Incubus is basically a drug pusher. If someone sells you something and says "yeah this'll get you high as poo poo, you'll feel like you're flying" they aren't exactly lying to you either because it probably will do all of that, but it's not exactly wrong to say that they aren't also looking forward to exploiting you for all you're worth once you lose your job, your friends, and your health to the addiction that they were happy to hook you up with. I mean the metaphor is pretty on the nose when on one page we see Incubus showing Alison three examples of his patented Before and After treatment which of course only displays things in the most tempting possible light, and then in a later page we see those same three "customers" now withered husks of their former selves.

Like, it would definitely be an interesting spin on things if Incubus was completely transparent with Alison about what bargains with him entail. "You see that guy down there crawling in the mud, looks like he hasn't eaten in two months, clumps of hair falling out? He came to me and said he wanted to be a warrior of renown, a real legend, and so I helped him. For ten years that guy was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain, he defeated swordmasters and wizards and sat on thrones made of gold and skulls and he banged two women at once, two. But this isn't a free ride and once your time's up it's up. People still tell stories about him, I mean he's a legend all right, but if you agree to this deal then that's gonna be you. You up for this?" And then if Alison goes ahead and says "yeah sure, hook me up," then that's an interesting story in its own right, but it would also be a very different sort of story then what we've got going on right now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Jagganoth is what happens when giant baby mercenaries hang out with a bad crowd for two long

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Most people don't need to be explicitly told that a man offering to supply you with joy in tiny vials $20 at a time is not looking out for your best interests and that the end is bad, and they can often observe a diorama of the results by looking at the nearest street corner.

Everyone thinks they can handle it, or they don't care about ten years down the road when they're terrified and miserable today. Allison knew that it was a bad deal to let Incubus jam that poo poo in her head, but she didn't care and thought she could kill him later if it went bad. She says as much.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i like that Incubus unlocked Allison's Inner Glam and her current conflict is the insufficiently fabulous parts of her personality rebelling

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

Most people don't need to be explicitly told that a man offering to supply you with joy in tiny vials $20 at a time is not looking out for your best interests and that the end is bad, and they can often observe a diorama of the results by looking at the nearest street corner.

Everyone thinks they can handle it, or they don't care about ten years down the road when they're terrified and miserable today. Allison knew that it was a bad deal to let Incubus jam that poo poo in her head, but she didn't care and thought she could kill him later if it went bad. She says as much.

Sure but like you say, everybody thinks they can handle it, that they aren't going to wind up a shivering, hollow-eyed wreck. It's one thing to think to yourself "hey I know this is a bad idea, that proves how smart I am about this," it's another thing to have your face shoved in it. Alison is aware that Incubus is a Bad Guy and that his deal is a Bad Idea but this page in particular illustrates that she wasn't really aware of what that bad idea might entail. She's been ready for Incubus to start cackling about how she's fallen into his clutches and maybe have a dramatic soul battle, not to get kicked out of the driver's seat by her own suddenly overfed Desire To Wield the Divine Flame.

My point is just that Incubus doesn't somehow become less of an rear end in a top hat because he goes "haha yuuuup, this sure is a bad idea, you've got me there" as he hands Alison the needle. He's definitely a charming rear end in a top hat, but he's still totally gonna get murdered.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Counterpoint: TCC

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Incubus' death is going to be either fantastic or fantastically anticlimactic and completely deserved, but all that matters at the moment is that he's fantastic now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Allison was probably also under the impression that she was already living a hell, she'd be able to handle the fallout of the deal when it came up cause she's handled everything so far. Didn't expect to lose her mind to herself.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I thought this was a reveal in that she isn't high on "potential" supplied and possibly later denied by Incubus, but literally high on her on supply. "The coke was in your heart all along I just showed you the way".

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS - The coke was in your heart all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

Sure but like you say, everybody thinks they can handle it, that they aren't going to wind up a shivering, hollow-eyed wreck. It's one thing to think to yourself "hey I know this is a bad idea, that proves how smart I am about this," it's another thing to have your face shoved in it. Alison is aware that Incubus is a Bad Guy and that his deal is a Bad Idea but this page in particular illustrates that she wasn't really aware of what that bad idea might entail. She's been ready for Incubus to start cackling about how she's fallen into his clutches and maybe have a dramatic soul battle, not to get kicked out of the driver's seat by her own suddenly overfed Desire To Wield the Divine Flame.

My point is just that Incubus doesn't somehow become less of an rear end in a top hat because he goes "haha yuuuup, this sure is a bad idea, you've got me there" as he hands Alison the needle. He's definitely a charming rear end in a top hat, but he's still totally gonna get murdered.

she kind of pointedly decided to act now and think about the ramifications later

while he's totally not motivated by her best interests at all Incubus's objective still isn't to screw her, it's to make her an effective Jagganoth-slayer and leave the single absolute ruler of the multiverse addicted to his mojo. The catch is supposed to be when she comes down and realizes she can't be effective without his little shortcut, it's entirely plausible he really had no idea what she was talking about with the bodyjacking thing. There just is no "true" Allison corralling her mess of conflicting desires, she just takes on personas she thinks might be who she wants to be, something she's vaguely acknowledged but never directly confronted before now. It's possible that was also true of the other kings and heroes in his pit before he boosted 'em, but I'm pretty sure we're meant to read the slavering addicts in there as their own pathetic selves bereft of his influence, not possessed by some junkie alternate personality

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 16, 2017