Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

France is, for the moment, a non-issue, and really we have no reason to throw down with the Celts. What we have EVERY reason to care about is these people next door trying to hold half the planet. We need to seize their colonies and cement our rule over the straits, this is ridiculous.

Not to mention there's that last bit of Portugal to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Stealing their colonies would be a Merchants move, I think, while Taifas would be conquering their core territory in Morocco instead, just FYI.

E: Hrm, OPM Portugal would have to be dealt with by the Taifas though, unless we can get an exception because it's a teeny OPM fully surrounded by us that we used to own. But yeah, that would technically be a war of conquest.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 15, 2017

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Tariq forsoke Allah, and so his family fell into ruin.
Do not let the same happen to Al Andalus.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Hashim posted:

Remember that for conquest wars (aka wars in Europe/North Africa) you'll have to go for the Taifas. Merchants can only declare colonial wars (aka rest of the world).

counterpoint: winning a war against Morocco means we can get more control in Sevilla and so more profit.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I stay with the League of Merchants. I heard we need a better navy :getin:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Sultanate needs a strong, united Majlis, dedicated to stability and the collective good of the realm rather than petty personal interests, now more than ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

With all that has happened, ruin is a heartbeat away. There must be order!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Stealing their colonies would be a Merchants move, I think, while Taifas would be conquering their core territory in Morocco instead, just FYI.

E: Hrm, OPM Portugal would have to be dealt with by the Taifas though, unless we can get an exception because it's a teeny OPM fully surrounded by us that we used to own. But yeah, that would technically be a war of conquest.

Taifas can take territory from wherever,we just can't make NEW colonies. We can, however, take territory already settled by others.

It just so happens that the easiest way for us to do that would be to hop a small strait and beat up our neighbors rather than do the actual work of naval power projection that the merchants represent.

And of course if we beat up Morocco enough they'll just start losing their empire to independence revolts anyway.

E: every time we're actually making military headway a non-military party takes over and poo poo starts falling apart smh

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Good point, actually. There's not all that much empty land left to colonize, storming across the strait and stealing them via occupying core territory is better.

Switching from Merchants to Taifas

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lets
lets
lets
lets fuckin go!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bonus: Because Morocco does have such a huge empire and there's no way we can take all of it, the inevitable wave of breakaways as central power collapses due to Iberian boots will sprinkle independent Civ nations around for Victoria, which will be fun.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

We must not impede the March of knowledge.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

In with the new boss, more Napoleonic than the old boss.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Peace, stability, beauty

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Tariq forsoke Allah, and so his family fell into ruin.
Do not let the same happen to Al Andalus.

We must not forget from whom all Andalus' blessings flow! Ulema

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Let's all just sit down and think about things for a couple decades.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Let's have peace and prosperity

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

We need to act soon or Morocco will overtake us! Taifas forever!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Rodyle posted:

It just so happens that the easiest way for us to do that would be to hop a small strait and beat up our neighbors rather than do the actual work of naval power projection that the merchants represent.

As far as I know (I'm no expert), there's a special peace term for conceding colonial regions from one country or their colonial subject to one of your colonial subjects. Otherwise, you still have to deal with occupying the land you want, because there's a -1000 to accepting the peacedeal if you try to take land in an area with uncaptured forts. So you can probably take land in north and south america, but if you want any of their other land you'll have to siege it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rodyle posted:

E: every time we're actually making military headway a non-military party takes over and poo poo starts falling apart smh

Yeah I'm pretty much never not going to be Merchants, but this new faction is a trap option.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
First tally of the reshuffling:

- 7 - RZApublican, Lord Cyrahzax, Frionnel, Rodyle, Crazycryodude, ThatBasqueGuy, Mr.Morgenstern.

- 5 - Ralepozozaxe, Ikasuhito, Dance Officer, GunnerJ, Talas.

- 2 - Odysseus S. Grant, Slaan.

- 11 - Yvonmukluk, Hitlers Gay Secret, Erwin the German, Jeoh, Pakled, Captain Oblivious, Danny Glands, mcclay, unwantedplatypus, paragon1, sheep-dodger.

Let me know if I messed something up.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I stand with the Merchants.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much never not going to be Merchants, but this new faction is a trap option.
Their leadership bonuses make no sense for us right now. We're a middling power always having to fight to stay in the game, not the largest land power in Europe or the largest colonial power. Instead, we border both, and both hate us. We can't afford to reduce both force limits and spin our wheels for an entire sultan, especially from infancy.

Zakrelo posted:

As far as I know (I'm no expert), there's a special peace term for conceding colonial regions from one country or their colonial subject to one of your colonial subjects. Otherwise, you still have to deal with occupying the land you want, because there's a -1000 to accepting the peacedeal if you try to take land in an area with uncaptured forts. So you can probably take land in north and south america, but if you want any of their other land you'll have to siege it.

I just mean that stealing colonies is easier than settling them, and while yes we'd have to do some minimal work in the region, we have a much better army than Morocco should have and are right next to their core.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Erwin the German posted:

Peace in our time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodyle posted:

Their leadership bonuses make no sense for us right now. We're a middling power always having to fight to stay in the game, not the largest land power in Europe or the largest colonial power. Instead, we border both, and both hate us. We can't afford to reduce both force limits and spin our wheels for an entire sultan, especially from infancy.

My assumption has been that there will be a reshuffling once the regency ends.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Diwan Divas

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gold rules the world.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rodyle posted:

I just mean that stealing colonies is easier than settling them, and while yes we'd have to do some minimal work in the region, we have a much better army than Morocco should have and are right next to their core.

This would be a compelling analysis if raw numbers were all that mattered in this narrative LP where we have good reason to believe unexpected and disruptive poo poo is likely to head our way in the AGE OF REVOLUTIONS :v:

The Age of Revolutions. Which we're entering with a religious minority royal line, a one year old on the throne, and a reasonably ethnically and religiously diverse Sultanate. Yessir no reason to worry about internal stability here. Having the Diwan as at least the second biggest cock on the block seems like a good call.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL

Diwan love. Diwan heart. Let's get together and feel all right.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
It seems like the best option is to have the diwan as the second place party, juggling that maybe beyond the powers of the goon hive mind.

Let's smash Moroccan faces!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

This would be a compelling analysis if raw numbers were all that mattered in this narrative LP where we have good reason to believe unexpected and disruptive poo poo is likely to head our way in the AGE OF REVOLUTIONS :v:

The Age of Revolutions. Which we're entering with a religious minority royal line, a one year old on the throne, and a reasonably ethnically and religiously diverse Sultanate. Yessir no reason to worry about internal stability here. Having the Diwan as at least the second biggest cock on the block seems like a good call.

Ah, but have you considered that revolutions are actually extremely Cool and Good? Although if we have a revolution in this time period we'll probably be too liberalized to really upset the communists in Vicky.... hmmm, choices choices choices

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Let's try defeating our enemies through art and culture.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Can we still finish off Portugal if the Diwan is the largest?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

God is eternal, God is everything. One cannot know anything without knowledge of God. Discovery and invention are nothing but ancient memories of Allah. Let us not succumb to the words of impious scientists, but learn through knowing God.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Gold rules the world.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Joining the New Taifas for we will need many many men to destroy Morocco. And while the League of Merchants may start colonial wars, only the Taifas will allow us to take the colonies we have always so deserved! Only Morocco has Muslim colonies that we may snatch.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

Joining the New Taifas for we will need many many men to destroy Morocco. And while the League of Merchants may start colonial wars, only the Taifas will allow us to take the colonies we have always so deserved! Only Morocco has Muslim colonies that we may snatch.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Tiebreaking in favor of the New Taifas. I want to take France more than Morocco, though. Also RIP scientific Ulema :eng99: (The Diwan don't count)