Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The idiotic thing is acknowledging you got the message at all. If you never respond in the slightest way you can always show up after vacation and say "oops no signal".

Any acknowledgement at all leads to somebody being pissed you aren't helping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

He fixed the issue remotely...the ceo wants a face to face chat about it, I would have said there’s no way until next week

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I felt actual rage reading that.

I sincerely hope that the guy can afford to just quit because it's clear that the CEO doesn't value him as a person or an employee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

He fixed the issue remotely...the ceo wants a face to face chat about it, I would have said there’s no way until next week

My boss would have been super appreciative and been all "we'll talk more when you get back, have fun!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Volmarias posted:

I felt actual rage reading that.

I sincerely hope that the guy can afford to just quit because it's clear that the CEO doesn't value him as a person or an employee.

The exaggeration of the importance of the problem is what was done to me at my last job. They threw away a reputation built on years of stability and good results because of a few times when a dying router locked up. This was used as cause to doubt my ability to do my job and ultimately led to my departure.

I've become accustomed to the idea that any problem, no matter how insignificant, can be used against me as proof that I'm no good at my job. It's ridiculous.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Is 2008r2 still common in production? (That’s what we have...)

Extremely. In my experience, its the most common, followed by 2012, 2003, and 2008. We still have a couple customers with 2000 boxes, and I saw an NT box a while back (virtualized, no less), but I don't remember what customer it was or if it still exists.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

The exaggeration of the importance of the problem is what was done to me at my last job. They threw away a reputation built on years of stability and good results because of a few times when a dying router locked up. This was used as cause to doubt my ability to do my job and ultimately led to my departure.

I've become accustomed to the idea that any problem, no matter how insignificant, can be used against me as proof that I'm no good at my job. It's ridiculous.

Thats why an RCA should ALWAYS be done, so that it can be identified if it was human error, hardware faults, or a software bug.

I need to add that to my interview questions, how and when RCAs are done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Thats why an RCA should ALWAYS be done, so that it can be identified if it was human error, hardware faults, or a software bug.

RCAs are useful unless you are in an environment where no one listens. This was the event that produced the idiotic statement by my original boss that we needed redundancy equivalent to what they have at the New York Stock Exchange, and that if even one phone call was lost I could be terminated.

It was hysteria. It was a technical problem misrepresented as a personal and professional failure on my part. There was no fixing that situation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

RCAs are useful unless you are in an environment where no one listens. This was the event that produced the idiotic statement by my original boss that we needed redundancy equivalent to what they have at the New York Stock Exchange, and that if even one phone call was lost I could be terminated.

It was hysteria. It was a technical problem misrepresented as a personal and professional failure on my part. There was no fixing that situation.

Yeah, your situation there was poo poo, I meant in a less dysfunctional environment. I do think they can prevent an environment from getting that dysfunctional if they are introduced early and hammered on as important, but if I recall that last job started hosed like that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Maybe he's leaving information out of his post, but when you're told the CEO needs to see you, and you're on vacation, why wouldn't you simply provide the address of your remote cabin and the hours during which you can accept appointments? I didn't see anything in there requiring him to come back from his vacation.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Out of ~150 servers, I think 4 are 2008r2. Most are 2012r2.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

What is an RCA in this context? I'm assuming its similar to an RFO, but I haven't come across this particular acronym before.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MANime in the sheets posted:

What is an RCA in this context? I'm assuming its similar to an RFO, but I haven't come across this particular acronym before.
Root cause analysis. Incident summary, impact, triggering event, preventative actions and owners. We do one for every production incident.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Root cause analysis. Incident summary, impact, triggering event, preventative actions and owners. We do one for every production incident.

Gotcha, ty. If my company does these, I don't get to see them :(

Except for when someone screwed up and let our primary domain lapse, and that was more watching it play out in a support-wide email chain...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am thankful I'm in an industry that requires every employee take a five-day no-contact vacation once a year. Helps to keep anyone from being too important (even though we still have a couple of people like that, I'm becoming one of them).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

xzzy posted:

My boss would have been super appreciative and been all "we'll talk more when you get back, have fun!"

Most bosses would. Most bosses also recognize the universe does not rotate around them, too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I seem to always work with military REMFs so I call them AARs.

EDIT: Dear CEO I cannot come to work as I am fighting a bear.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wish there was a way to clear the maintenance kit message so it can stop scaring users before I can clear it Monday. As it stands gently caress you if you think I'm going to drive there just for that.

Thanatosian posted:

I am thankful I'm in an industry that requires every employee take a five-day no-contact vacation once a year. Helps to keep anyone from being too important (even though we still have a couple of people like that, I'm becoming one of them).

Finance?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Yup, my brother-in-law is in banking and they get to dictate when he takes 5 of his 10 total PTO days a year. :rolleyes:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Yes I still see it a lot. Most places have 2/3 2012 and use 2008r2 on critical systems they are afraid to upgrade.

What kills me are shops with 2018 plans to migrate to 2012r2.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We had to spin up a new location earlier this year and despite having plenty of 2012R2 servers in production, the domain controller at that site is 2008R2, because all our other DCs are 2008R2, and my boss is terrified of the effects of having a 2012R2 DC in our environment, because he is an idiot.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

anthonypants posted:

We had to spin up a new location earlier this year and despite having plenty of 2012R2 servers in production, the domain controller at that site is 2008R2, because all our other DCs are 2008R2, and my boss is terrified of the effects of having a 2012R2 DC in our environment, because he is an idiot.

I hope it's at least patched

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NeuralSpark posted:

Yup, my brother-in-law is in banking and they get to dictate when he takes 5 of his 10 total PTO days a year. :rolleyes:
I get much more PTO than that, and get to choose when I want to take my 5 days.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

The vast majority of our 400 or so are 2012R2, with probably 16 2016, 8 2k12, 20 2k8r2, 6 2003, and 1 2k :(

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

If I had to guess, probably 40-50% of our ~3600 (including test/beta) windows servers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can stop testing it now, it's been out for nearly a decade :smug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

You can stop testing it now, it's been out for nearly a decade :smug:

This is where the joke somehow reverses and it turns out they're still using '08 beta builds.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Somewhere, a CIO is finally signing off on promoting 2012 to production.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Controller scanned in a invoice....sends it over to us with this written on it

"Needs to be more readable"

That's it. No instructions, directions, nothing crossed out, no arrows...

Meanwhile, these forms were all approved by him like...5 months ago.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Controller scanned in a invoice....sends it over to us with this written on it

"Needs to be more readable"

That's it. No instructions, directions, nothing crossed out, no arrows...

Meanwhile, these forms were all approved by him like...5 months ago.
Read it one more time and move on.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Echoing how stupid this is.

Noting how poo poo life must be when you're a doormat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

Read it one more time and move on.

:vince:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
With the Krack poo poo going around, I was discussing it with the boss\admin. Idly discussing wireless security, he's insistent on hiding the SSIDs of the wireless APs. :sigh:

Despite the fact of me saying that devices connected to hidden SSIDs just scream out the name anyway and it's actually a bit more hassle for guests, he's not budging.

I kind of feel like none of my security related suggestions are going to go anywhere. I feel like I'm fortunate as it is to push for an imaging solution and getting servers off 2003.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Irritated Goat posted:

With the Krack poo poo going around, I was discussing it with the boss\admin. Idly discussing wireless security, he's insistent on hiding the SSIDs of the wireless APs. :sigh:

Despite the fact of me saying that devices connected to hidden SSIDs just scream out the name anyway and it's actually a bit more hassle for guests, he's not budging.

I kind of feel like none of my security related suggestions are going to go anywhere. I feel like I'm fortunate as it is to push for an imaging solution and getting servers off 2003.

"a bit more hassle for guests" hah

if the ssid isn't being broadcast, I guarantee 1 in 1000 guests will be able to connect.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"a bit more hassle for guests" hah

if the ssid isn't being broadcast, I guarantee 1 in 1000 guests will be able to connect.

We get called if they can't. At least it doesn't actually touch the production network? :sigh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Set the characters in the SSID to unicode ones that look like the ASCII equivalent, then hide it.

Edit: Or use emojis. Yes, our guest network is smiling poop, clown, burger, sad face. No, the other sad face.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Set the characters in the SSID to unicode ones that look like the ASCII equivalent, then hide it.

Edit: Or use emojis. Yes, our guest network is smiling poop, clown, burger, sad face. No, the other sad face.

I prefer the poop, clown, poop, donkey network

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rackspace's useless, yet 'fanatical' support reps are all spouting this line:

Sure, I would be happy to assist you with this question.

I just envision some guy sitting in a dark room with like 14 chat windows open, frantically typing away at all these tickets and then they've got a list of quick-fire canned responses as buttons on each one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So with this, Windows machines are more or less okay to use on Wifi, as long as they have the latest patches. Any Wifi activity on phones could be considered insecure, so it might even be worth just flipping off the Wifi switch until a patch is out. No idea about Apple things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nielsm posted:

So with this, Windows machines are more or less okay to use on Wifi, as long as they have the latest patches. Any Wifi activity on phones could be considered insecure, so it might even be worth just flipping off the Wifi switch until a patch is out. No idea about Apple things.

I haven't read of any Windows patches that mitigate this. Don't trust wifi on windows, even fully up to date, until Microsoft dead-on confirms a certain patch resolves the Krack exploit.

Apple is vulnerable as well but there are fewer ransomware exploits in the wild so as long as you don't send secure, private data over wifi you're more or less OK.

edit3: Android and Linux were the most vulnerable because they can be made to simply not encrypt their traffic (encryption key of all 0). Don't run mobile banking on wifi for a while.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 16, 2017