Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's fun to go back into these events and see where I left off. Some are completely cleared, but others are cleared just shy of the ultimate, or I can see where I completed a boss without mastery and stopped there. Turning those bosses to ash is kinda satisfying.

That said, would really like it if they'd put in more events from the first year. Want that missing mithril, and I started something like 9 months in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I started in december 2015, so I'd love to get some of those old events back through. Get some old accessories I missed, mythril and other things. I've always wanted to see this sort of thing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's nice to get that gigas accessory i missed, but i think that's just about the only thing i'm going to get from these revisits.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We got all the past III events! This means a free OK MC3 for people who missed that and Enigma dungeons to farm OK motes!
Can't wait to see how ridiculous the IV renewal dungeons will end up looking like.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Please, my stamina can't take all of this :(

Also, boo, only 10 instead of 30 free mythril this go around.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I hope they bring back Golbez's first event, that's when I started, so it'd be nice to finish that one off. :unsmith:

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

This is a horrible thing for my completionist lizard-brain when I just started a couple of months ago. By my math each event has about a day's worth of stamina required, there's two for each banner, a new banner gets released every day, and they stick around for a week after the last one ends. There's no way to catch up on everything without burning mythril, and while I'll still some off ahead, doing so angers other parts of my lizard-brain.

I'm in the same boat. What also doesn't help is that all this is going on during half-stam (at least the first half-ish of it), so I'm simultaneously trying to use that to increase my stam cap from 107 (at the start of the dungeon update, 119 now). The stam refresh is helping, but not all that much.

It might be worth thinking of it as spending one mythril from a renewal banner to get all the rest of the banner rewards... but that same lizard-brain is telling me "what if they bring back the banners AGAIN, think of all the single mythrils you spent that you could have saved!"

send help

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So far, the possible accessories from the renewal dungeons if someone who didn't get them the first time manages to make it through them all:

1*
Power Wrist (VII) - +5 ATK

2*
Earring (VII) - +8 MAG

3*
Protect Ring (III) - +10 DEF/RES
Power Armlet (V) - +15 ATK
Peace Ring (VII) - Minor Confuse resistance
Silver Glasses (VII) - +3 DEF, minor Blind resistance

4*
Shadow Mask (I) - +10 ATK, moderate Blind resistance
Bacchus's Wine (II) - +20 ATK
Hermes' Shoes (II) - +10 RES, moderate Slow resistance
Protect Ring (II) - Moderate resistance to Instant KO (includes gravity attacks)
Black Musk (III) - +20 MAG
(2x) Horn of Ice (III) - +20 ATK
Zephyr Cloak (VI) - +15 RES, moderate Earth resistance
Wolf Earring (VII) - +20 ATK
Pearl Rouge (IX) - +15 MAG, moderate Silence resistance
Soft Bracer (X) - +15 RES, moderate Petrify resistance

5*
Crown (I) - +30 MAG
Crystal Ring (I) - +10 DEF, moderate Paralyze/Sleep resistance
Gigas Armlet (II) - Moderate Fire/Ice/Lightning resistance, Vulnerable to Water
Emperor's Amulet (II) - +15 MAG, moderate Dark resistance
Skybreaker Earrings (III)- +15 MAG, moderate Ice resistance
Luneth's Pouch (III) - +15 ATK, moderate Wind resistance
Darkening Anklet (III) - Moderate Lightning/Dark resistance

Generally players should be fine Vaulting sub 4* stuff and even eventually replacing the 4* ones but there's some standouts, like Slow, Petrify, and Instant KO resist.
Really a great opportunity to build up the accessory supply, since those are mostly event exclusive (bar the occasional appearances in the Gysahl shop, which can't really be planned for).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

HPanda posted:

It's fun to go back into these events and see where I left off. Some are completely cleared, but others are cleared just shy of the ultimate, or I can see where I completed a boss without mastery and stopped there. Turning those bosses to ash is kinda satisfying.

That said, would really like it if they'd put in more events from the first year. Want that missing mithril, and I started something like 9 months in.

It's also nice to see progress. As the relics, abilities and record spheres/dives get better, it can be hard to appreciate that as the content gets harder as well.

Then you go back to this stuff which used to be a road block and curbstomp it. Feels good.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I just wish they'd do some really old stuff, from early 2015. So far I've cleared all of the content in 1-3.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's also nice to see progress. As the relics, abilities and record spheres/dives get better, it can be hard to appreciate that as the content gets harder as well.

Then you go back to this stuff which used to be a road block and curbstomp it. Feels good.

Revenge is indeed the best part. Here's what I was looking forward the most.

This mother fucker right here and his lightning spam.

You think R3 Aerora Strike is still my only wind damage source?

And Zidane almost dies when I try to get the Sky High photo finish. Sweet revenge.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

I just wish they'd do some really old stuff, from early 2015. So far I've cleared all of the content in 1-3.

Well, we'll find out tomorrow. They literally have the very first event ever (well, second event, in global) they could throw at us with FF4.

The FF1-3 events were actually pretty late in the game's life, comparatively, we had MC2s by then.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Jose Valasquez posted:

Is 6* dark matter a thing yet?

Still not in JP. Probably afraid of flipping the switch and making people like they gotta whale to get three 6*'s to reforge.

I've had this Saintly Excalibur+++ for a long time now though....

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
Hey all, I have enough to roll on the Crystal Tower banner and choose from the list of relics. I'm still pretty new at this game and I don't have a strong understanding of the relics. Should I just choose the relic from my favorite FF game or something? I don't know if the Yuna item from FFX is a good choice or not.. any advice is appreciated!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

jjef posted:

Hey all, I have enough to roll on the Crystal Tower banner and choose from the list of relics. I'm still pretty new at this game and I don't have a strong understanding of the relics. Should I just choose the relic from my favorite FF game or something? I don't know if the Yuna item from FFX is a good choice or not.. any advice is appreciated!

If you don't have any healing bursts Larsa's, Sarah's, Vanille's, and Y'shtola's relics are all very very strong. Yuna's also offers a good support buff for a magic-focused team. Other than that, Fujin's relic is very strong. Really the only one on there you just straight should not pick under any circumstance is Terra's, you should probably be able to find use for the others.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Minwu's is also real bad. Aerith's is functional but overshadowed by every other healing burst on the banner, and she's getting a better one soon.

Do you get 2 choices if you pull now?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nihilarian posted:

Minwu's is also real bad. Aerith's is functional but overshadowed by every other healing burst on the banner, and she's getting a better one soon.

Do you get 2 choices if you pull now?

You do.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
Wow yeah I could choose two! I decided on Y'shtola's and Fujin's per the advice above. I hope I made the right choices! Thanks guys.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
What're some good choices for the Gem draw? I'm probably gonna cave and pay dena their toll.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Bring back FFVIII Parade Float Elite.

All us old timers needs some catharsis by blasting that event into the abyss with our current setups.

Then they should give all the newcomers a taste of our frustration by having a mode where you are limited to the characters, relics and abilities that were available at the time.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Vonnie posted:

What're some good choices for the Gem draw? I'm probably gonna cave and pay dena their toll.

Depending on your other options these BSBs can be excellent (first two fit almost any circumstances, the rest are a bit more situational):

OK
Cid Raines
Edea
Maria
Ayame
Reks
Shadow
Shantotto

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Benthalus posted:

Bring back FFVIII Parade Float Elite.

All us old timers needs some catharsis by blasting that event into the abyss with our current setups.

Then they should give all the newcomers a taste of our frustration by having a mode where you are limited to the characters, relics and abilities that were available at the time.

I wasn't around for Parade Float but the other similar fight that I was around for was Bahamut in the Advent Children event.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

jjef posted:

Wow yeah I could choose two! I decided on Y'shtola's and Fujin's per the advice above. I hope I made the right choices! Thanks guys.
yeah DENA hosed up and had to give people an additional choice or potentially face backlash.

Y'shtola and Fujin are great choices.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I broke down and threw 50 Mythril at the XV banner after dollar drawing Aranea's OSB, in the hopes of getting her BSB or something. I had a couple dupes (I have a Moogle Plushie+++...)

4/11
Iris BSB (of course. I needed a fourth because I combined all the others)
Noctis SSB (dupe, but hey, XV synergy sword isn't bad)
Prompto BSB
Prompto USB

I am pretty thrilled with this, My only support 5 with any good breaks before this was OK (and Tyro but any time I take Tyro someplace it's generally because he has something better to be doing), although it looks like the two bursts overlap a bit, it still gives me a lot of options.

E: oh hey, I didn't see what his LMR did. There is absolutely no way I'm pulling on this banner again but that would have been sweet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

jjef posted:

You did fine. Y'shtola is probably the strongest healer option, in terms of raw healing. Sarah and Larsa offer more utility, but Ysh has the raw green numbers.

Fujin is a solid mage/support hybrid, and the best DPS item on the banner.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Ysh is probably the best general purpose healer in the game with her burst. There are times when another healer would do better (if you need an astra for example), but just in terms of doing at least a decent job in any given fight she's hard to beat.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, Yshtola also has wrath access and being able to carry 4* breakdowns comes in handy for medal conditions once in a while.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hey legend dive is also pretty good. I now have her burst, larsa's and Iris'. Definitely good on healer stuff. Im so glad motes are getting more common, I have a poo poo ton of people to dive.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh neat, I single pulled Ingus SSB from the III Renewal banner. I have his burst already so I doubt I'll use a ST Earth/Non + ATK/MAG Breakdown SSB... but it's a +Earth sword and I also happen to have +Earth armor on hand (Dorgann's BSB). :getin:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
And now I have a fully completed TGCid. His burst seems even better than his osb!

When should I be able to start doing nightmare dungeons? I'm currently stalling out on ult+ stuff and torment is a pipe dream, so it seems like magicite is the next big power increase

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Farg posted:

And now I have a fully completed TGCid. His burst seems even better than his osb!

When should I be able to start doing nightmare dungeons? I'm currently stalling out on ult+ stuff and torment is a pipe dream, so it seems like magicite is the next big power increase

the difficulty order is, roughly Nightmare->Torment->Magicite

Depending on your relics you should be able to do a big chunk of nightmares. They've been powercrept pretty hard for the most part. Remember Ult+ now is a lot stronger than Ult+ when most of the Nightmares came out. Difficulty numbers only really mean the same thing on content from the same timeframe

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
I will not miss you, jump start Hidon.

Scored 2/3 on the FFVI party challenge missions, but I don't think I can swing it with 3 in-realm characters. Vanille's USB did some serious work keeping confuse/paralyze off of everyone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Assuming it doesn't list a condition like "earn as a drop from FFVII levels", is there anything I can do to get records to drop more or is it just a very low roll of the dice? Palom and Realm aren't cashing out their exp boosters.

Edit: kvetching works. Both of them dropped on the next two dungeons.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So I assume that it's in the best interest of newbies to mythril refresh if needed in order to clear every Renewal event dungeon?

I hate spending mythril to make mythril but it seems like the best option for this.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

So I assume that it's in the best interest of newbies to mythril refresh if needed in order to clear every Renewal event dungeon?

I hate spending mythril to make mythril but it seems like the best option for this.

I guess if you absolutely had to, but the dungeons seem to have pretty generous open to closing dates.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

ceaselessfuture posted:

Seeing as we have no idea when or if this will ever happen again, it's quite possible any mythril you leave on these events is gone forever.

So if you need a couple refreshes to clear it you will still be ahead.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hold off on it for now, try to clear them naturally. You have some time.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
The only thing giving me real pause is the two posted dates. It's 11/05 on the main screen, then 12/31 when you enter into an event.

I guess three weeks is still ample time though. And yeah, may as well pay for mythril now than try to min/max and never see it again.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't done really big math on it, but I think the Renewal Dungeons are only going as far back as events with at least one Ultimate battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i don't really worry about hitting every mythril since there will always be more mythril or whatever, and if I'm at the point where I have exhausted all mythril then i am powerful enough to be able to pull slower. my urges to play this game come in waves so i make sure to spam mythril refreshes even if i'm just doing 1/2 realms

• Locked thread