Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

why did you change this lol

yeah that was probably more accurate in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

The flashy, Battle Royale-esque themes/ambience is basically all the DR games have going for them, as the actual mysteries are laughable and the actual overall plots are convoluted and dumb in a way that would make Professor Layton proud.

i know, it's great

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why do you drive through a bathroom and crap in a driveway

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is Mega Men Legends called Rock Man DASH in Japanese when he moves pretty slowly in it? 🤔
Move diagonally.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Danganronpa games are amusing diversions with some funny voice acting and scenarios and some occasionally good writing. I'd never pay to play them but I find them interesting enough to watch them once.

The ending to DR3 is the best thing in the whole series. The fact that it pisses of some DR diehards just makes it better.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Dang I really need to play v3, you guys got me really curious what this twist is

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

tap my mountain posted:

Dang I really need to play v3, you guys got me really curious what this twist is

I spoiled it above if you want to save your money.

quote:

The flashy, Battle Royale-esque themes/ambience is basically all the DR games have going for them, as the actual mysteries are laughable and the actual overall plots are convoluted and dumb in a way that would make Professor Layton proud.

If it was BR-ish it'd be much better. BR isn't just kids killing other kids. It's also all about their reactions to that, and the viewer/reader's likely reaction to it as well. Half the problem with DR is that the kids seem to have no reaction at all to being in a death game. "Kill someone? Oh, nobody would ever do that! Let's all go swimming!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To me it ultimately just comes down to: if you really want a VN with death games, play 999/VLR/ZTD as those are all solid examples of that (and the puzzle solving is a way more interesting gameplay mechanic than the trials in DR), and if you want VN murder mystery solvin' go for Ace Attorney or Umineko. DR's attempt to bring both of these aspects together ultimately results in it not doing either particularly well nor do they gel together in a way that makes it compelling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
after spending 2 hours installing mods for New Vegas, i no longer feel like playing New Vegas

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It took like 20 Yakuza games but I finally learned how to play mahjong and it's actually good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nate RFB posted:

To me it ultimately just comes down to: if you really want a VN with death games, play 999/VLR/ZTD as those are all solid examples of that (and the puzzle solving is a way more interesting gameplay mechanic than the trials in DR), and if you want VN murder mystery solvin' go for Ace Attorney or Umineko. DR's attempt to bring both of these aspects together ultimately results in it not doing either particularly well nor do they gel together in a way that makes it compelling.

None of those games have a masafumi takada soundtrack tho

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

tap my mountain posted:

None of those games have a masafumi takada soundtrack tho
I would make the claim that Umineko has the best video game soundtrack of all time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

after spending 2 hours installing mods for New Vegas, i no longer feel like playing New Vegas

This is exactly what happens to me when I replay the FO games. I install them, install a bunch of mods, play for an hour, and then remember I don't like the gameplay in the Fallout games and quit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

Yup, we should come up with a name for that because it seems really common with Elder Scrolls-likes

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Fallout games require me to be in a scavenge mood and gently caress around for hours for me to play otherwise I don't really play them.

I still haven't played New Vegas.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

the actual overall plots are convoluted and dumb in a way that would make Professor Layton proud.
I don’t think I’ve yet played a Layton game where the big dumb plot twist about the setting actually was more interesting than what they initially lead you to believe was going on (Diabolical Box was maybe the closest exception).

The Phoenix Wright crossover was especially bad about this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I would make the claim that Umineko has the best video game soundtrack of all time.
It certainly has the most good music in a video game.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

precision posted:

I'm having this problem with Stardew Valley, I really want to try some new stuff but every time I think about combing through the official forums for up to date mods all my will to setup the game is sucked away.

I really wish Stardew had steam workshop integration. :sigh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The overarching narrative about the end of the world and despair is one of the things I always hated about Danganronpa. I pretty much just ignored it because it always felt silly and it didn't feel like it contributed much to the story.

DR3 spoilers: Which is part of why I love the DR 3 ending so much; it straight up says all of that was bullshit. It was drama dreamed up for the sake of manipulating the show's participants. The scenarios never made any sense but you just have to handwave that away with "well its an anime game, whatever". The idea that it literally, in-universe, was just nonsense dreamed up for the show works so much better for justifying that nonsense.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sweetgrass posted:

I'm having this problem with Stardew Valley, I really want to try some new stuff but every time I think about combing through the official forums for up to date mods all my will to setup the game is sucked away.

I really wish Stardew had steam workshop integration. :sigh:

Does the console version integrate mods at all?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You don't really need mods for Stardew imo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
New Vegas is fine without mods too. Just dont expect it to have good graphics or smooth combat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

what? bullshit. you need these mods to make the game playable:

Buxom Cleavage Portraits Fully Nude
Kawaii Hats
Hot Pam - with vanilla
Monster Girl Livestock

and also this one: DCBurger's Portraits(Hi-Res version Update) https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/888/

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I have very much respect for that mod's depiction of Mayor Lewis

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

Played the game for roughly 2 ingame months and the only thing I'd immedeatly mod if I had the chance was a way to locate villagers on the map. I'm getting really sick of failing quests because I don't know all the NPCs schedules well enough to pinpoint where they are gonna be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Even the worst of the DR games (not counting Ultra Despair Girls) was better than the wet fart of an ending that was ZTD and the trials are fun and cool looking and I'd say I'd prefer them to the 'my first adventure game' puzzling of the Zero Escape games too.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Internet Kraken posted:

Played the game for roughly 2 ingame months and the only thing I'd immedeatly mod if I had the chance was a way to locate villagers on the map. I'm getting really sick of failing quests because I don't know all the NPCs schedules well enough to pinpoint where they are gonna be.

This is the one mod that I would consider essential. The game is great on its own but this fixes the one most annoying issue.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Even the worst of the DR games (not counting Ultra Despair Girls) was better than the wet fart of an ending that was ZTD and the trials are fun and cool looking and I'd say I'd prefer them to the 'my first adventure game' puzzling of the Zero Escape games too.

What happened with Ultra Despair Girls? It's mentioned in almost hushed tones in the DR2 LP as a terrible game but I'm not sure if that's based on the gameplay or content.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

This was me trying Oblivion and Skyrim on two separate occasions.

New Vegas, on the other hand, I played vanilla for the full campaign and all the DLC and had a blast because Obsidian is an actual good developer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What happened with Ultra Despair Girls? It's mentioned in almost hushed tones in the DR2 LP as a terrible game but I'm not sure if that's based on the gameplay or content.

Both

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gently caress, every time I think I have this October's GOTM on lock something comes to shake it up

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/919684333207568385

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shitlords are coming out of the woodwork to get mad at Wolfenstein's message of "Nazis are bad".

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

Shitlords are coming out of the woodwork to get mad at Wolfenstein's message of "Nazis are bad".

It's because they're Nazis

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress, every time I think I have this October's GOTM on lock something comes to shake it up

Not sure about GOTM but this just locked Wolf 2 down as a day one purchase, even if I won't get to play it for a couple months

Taintrunner posted:

It's because they're Nazis

and I think they make they make their stance on nazis clear here

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really want to but it comes out the same day as Mario Odyssey and FE Warriors is like the week before and argh

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress yeah

What's the objectionable content? I'm just curious as the DR3 ending sounds hilarious so I'm wondering if fans are pissed because it's a "gently caress you" or just a general "gently caress off with that poo poo"/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the characters is literally a pedo and it's treated as minor character flaw that you roll your eyes over rather than calling the cops.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:allears:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

One of the characters is literally a pedo and it's treated as minor character flaw that you roll your eyes over rather than calling the cops.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Sakurazuka posted:

For a second I thought this was about Wolfenstein.

• Locked thread