Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

aardwolf posted:

...I confused the talk about creepy engineers taking illicit dumps with the talk about crickets and this statement got pretty weird.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aardwolf posted:

...I confused the talk about creepy engineers taking illicit dumps with the talk about crickets and this statement got pretty weird.

lol

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

aardwolf posted:

:itwaspoo:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-12/denmark-submarine-killer-to-be-tested-against-cold-cases/9041076

Oh god they're now investigating him possibly being a serial killer

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

These were also accidents

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

What's the odds she knew about the connection and he found out? He obviously couldn't talk away this one

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

This was pretty inevitable after they found multiple videos of women being murdered on his the lab's computers, right?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hope they don't gently caress up with the DNA evidence, it's less of a slam dunk than people think.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

So was the hatch on his submarine, it turns out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Goon Danton posted:

:golfclap:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

:five:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Goon Danton posted:

:vince:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

:boom:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

They're not exactly doing that. Because of the case Denmark and Sweden are opening up their DNA systems to each other to help solve cold case murders that might have been committed by a registered Swedes and Danes in either country. It's to make cooperation easier in the future which makes sense because our countries are so close to each other.
So yeah the case sparked this so he's just the first person they are testing in unsolved dismemberment cases. They don't actually have any similar cases. I haven't read about the Japanese tourist in any Danish source.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That explains how her legs fell off, but what about her head?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Summerfield Slaughter

Familicide, Vitamin C, and North Carolina.

quote:

Susie despised Delores and made no attempt to hide it. She and Tom were living in Beaufort, S.C. — Tom had joined the Navy Reserve — when their son, John, was born in 1974.

Delores traveled from Kentucky to see her first grandchild. Susie told her to get a hotel room then call for an appointment to see the baby.

Jim was born in March 1976. Delores didn’t see him for a year.

This story is an explosion of :stonk: and I cannot believe it all happened.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

teen witch posted:

Summerfield Slaughter

This is a pro click.

The sub-title sold me immediately. "Fritz Klenner and his first-cousin and lover Susie Lynch took their lives in an explosion. Lynch's sons were poisoned and shot; five other family members were killed."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I just suplex them. Is that not right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So that 'sonic weapon' attack on the US Embassy in Cuba? Apparently the most likely culprit is mass hysteria:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/cuba-mass-hysteria-sonic-attacks-neurologists

Not to sound too big-headed, but I totally called this as the explanation when the story first broke :smug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
In this timeline Guile still hasn't perfected the technique

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So that 'sonic weapon' attack on the US Embassy in Cuba? Apparently the most likely culprit is mass hysteria:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/cuba-mass-hysteria-sonic-attacks-neurologists

Not to sound too big-headed, but I totally called this as the explanation when the story first broke :smug:

Those neurologists haven’t actually examined anyone, they were just asked to weigh in on reports. The article is pure fluff.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Reminds me of the twitching girls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/magazine/teenage-girls-twitching-le-roy.html

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Beanbox posted:

She is swedish, and they also found her legs.

I know we have a good title, but....

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

it had that title for over two years so it's okay to change it I think

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If I died horrifically, I'd take a small comfort in being a thread-naming case.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EmmyOk posted:

<3

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

teen witch posted:

Summerfield Slaughter

Interesting story, but Christ was it a chore to read. Someone explain how paragraphs work to that journo.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Interesting story, but Christ was it a chore to read. Someone explain how paragraphs work to that journo.

I know, that was one of the most terribly written things I've ever seen.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bamabalacha posted:

I know, that was one of the most terribly written things I've ever seen.

For the rest of us that spot is taken by your posts

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jedit posted:

That explains how her legs fell off, but what about her head?

'er head was fine nothin' wrong wi' that....it just wasn't attached to er' body....

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

For the rest of us that spot is taken by your posts

Awwww, thank you.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

cash crab posted:

I know we have a good title, but....

EmmyOk posted:

Thank you

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bamabalacha posted:

Awwww, thank you.

No, thank you :3:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm currently reading Bloody Crimes: The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Chase for Jefferson Davis and there is a brief aside about the June 17 1962 Washington Arsenal Fire.

During the civil war 19 women died in a fire and explosion at the Ammunition plant at Washington Arsenal (in present day Fort McNair) because someone thought it would be a good idea to lay fireworks made for the upcoming Independence Day celebrations, out in the sun. The fireworks caught fire and sent sparks through an open window into a room filled with black powder. The women worked in such cramped conditions and they all wore large hoop skirts, the dead were doomed from the start.

The Washington Evening Star posted:

"After the powder on the benches caught, the fire spread down rapidly, blinding the girls and setting fire to their clothes. Many of them ran to the windows wrapped in flames, and on their way communicated the fire to the dresses of others."

Hundreds of screaming women as young as thirteen fled the building, many of them on fire. Men covered them in tarps or rushed them to the river to put the flames out. Many of the would-be rescuers suffered severe burns on their hands and arms.

Bloody Crimes posted:

Desperate arsenal workers searched the debris for survivors..."The bodies were in such a condition that it was found necessary to place boards under each one in order to remove them from the ruins...they were carried out and placed upon the ground." Unsupported, the burned corpses would have crumbled and broken into pieces. The "charred remains of those who had perished," the Evening Star reported, "were laid upon the ground and covered over with canvass."

"When our reporter left the scene of the disaster nine-teen bodies had been taken from the ruins, but they were so completely burnt to a crisp that recognition was impossible." The survivors were "frightfully" wounded.

The Cornoner posted:

"The canvas covering the remains was then removed, and the most terrible sight presented itself to the view of those standing around. The charred remains of seventeen dead bodies lay scattered about, some in boxes, some on pieces of boards, and some in large tin pans, they having been removed from the ruins in these receptacles. In nearly every case only the trunk of the body remained, the arms and legs being missing or detached. A singular feature of the sad spectacle was that presented by a number of bodies nearly burned to a cinder being caged, as it were, in the wire of their hooped skirts . . . Many of the bodies seem to have been crisped quote bloodless."

:gonk:

Here are a couple of articles about it

http://ghostsofdc.org/2013/03/12/twenty-one-killed-in-explosion-at-washington-arsenal/

https://blogs.loc.gov/inside_adams/2015/06/an-almost-inexcusable-catastrophe-explosion-at-the-washington-arsenal/

Basticle has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Oct 15, 2017

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
Dirty John.

A long read, but worth it. It's well-written and the story is absolutely engrossing, revealing the kind of damage a single, pathological man can do to an entire family.

I've read about a lot of sociopaths, but John isn't a serial killer - though he definitely fits the profile. The fact his crimes were slightly less outlandish actually made the story more unsettling, in some ways, as they seemed less like something from a horror movie and more like something I can imagine happening in my own or my friends' lives.

And boy, does the story escalate.

One thing that struck me was the description of how, when John got angry and let his facade slip, people looked into his eyes and saw an "utter void" looking back - it's identical to the way contemporaries have described Henry Lee Lucas, or Bundy, or any number of other psychopaths. They're charming, until suddenly something switches and they're utterly not.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
A seasonal entry: The Great New England Vampire Panic.

quote:

Children playing near a hillside gravel mine found the first graves. One ran home to tell his mother, who was skeptical at first—until the boy produced a skull.

Because this was Griswold, Connecticut, in 1990, police initially thought the burials might be the work of a local serial killer named Michael Ross, and they taped off the area as a crime scene. But the brown, decaying bones turned out to be more than a century old. The Connecticut state archaeologist, Nick Bellantoni, soon determined that the hillside contained a colonial-era farm cemetery. New England is full of such unmarked family plots, and the 29 burials were typical of the 1700s and early 1800s: The dead, many of them children, were laid to rest in thrifty Yankee style, in simple wood coffins, without jewelry or even much clothing, their arms resting by their sides or crossed over their chests.

Except, that is, for Burial Number 4.

Bellantoni was interested in the grave even before the excavation began. It was one of only two stone crypts in the cemetery, and it was partially visible from the mine face.

Scraping away soil with flat-edged shovels, and then brushes and bamboo picks, the archaeologist and his team worked through several feet of earth before reaching the top of the crypt. When Bellantoni lifted the first of the large, flat rocks that formed the roof, he uncovered the remains of a red-painted coffin and a pair of skeletal feet. They lay, he remembers, “in perfect anatomical position.” But when he raised the next stone, Bellantoni saw that the rest of the individual “had been com­pletely...rearranged.” The skeleton had been beheaded; skull and thighbones rested atop the ribs and vertebrae. “It looked like a skull-and-crossbones motif, a Jolly Roger. I’d never seen anything like it,” Bellantoni recalls.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Skelicopter posted:

holy poo poo you weren't kidding :catstare:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

There’s an early Dollop about it. Worth a listen!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Skelicopter posted:

Dirty John.

A long read, but worth it. It's well-written and the story is absolutely engrossing, revealing the kind of damage a single, pathological man can do to an entire family.

I've read about a lot of sociopaths, but John isn't a serial killer - though he definitely fits the profile. The fact his crimes were slightly less outlandish actually made the story more unsettling, in some ways, as they seemed less like something from a horror movie and more like something I can imagine happening in my own or my friends' lives.

One thing that struck me was the description of how, when John got angry and let his facade slip, people looked into his eyes and saw an "utter void" looking back - it's identical to the way contemporaries have described Henry Lee Lucas, or Bundy, or any number of other psychopaths. They're charming, until suddenly something switches and they're utterly not.

Great read. Talk about a twist ending though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

Great read. Talk about a twist ending though.

Yeah, that's not what I was anticipating.

Tremendous read. Not just about an utter evil human being, but about the mind of someone who bought into him so thoroughly and took so long to realize how awful he really was.

This stood out, though:

quote:

She began wearing a wig, living and working out of hotels, checking in under the names of her assistants. In a request for a restraining order, her lawyer laid out John Meehan’s long, ugly history. How the Indiana nursing board had yanked his license and called him “a clear and immediate danger to the public.”

How he’d jumped out of a moving ambulance in Michigan. How he’d swindled multiple women and done prison time and been slapped with restraining orders. How Laguna Beach police, who had also asked for a restraining order against him, had found cyanide capsules in his belongings.

An Orange County judge decided there was no immediate threat to Debra’s safety. Her husband lived in another state; he had never physically harmed her.