Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Pi dude posted:

Has there ever been an hour where the funding tracker showed no purchases?

Maybe they add the subscriptions to the chart to make it look like purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I feel like those light senors shouldn't be taking :patriot: jobs

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

The Pi dude posted:

Has there ever been an hour where the funding tracker showed no purchases?

There have been stretches of multiple hours when the tracker didn't update, but I suspect this is not really what you're asking about.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A full year without content being added to something that the director claims is functioning like a live service already.

Some would have the guile to say this is normal and that you must not know about game development

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

The thing that strikes me most about the last 6 months development of Roberts wretched little game is that, if you didn't know anything else about the project, you'd assume that it was a Planetside/Battlefront style combined arms shooter.

They've been hyping their planetary tech for so long now, the fact that its supposed to be a deep space sim seems somewhat forgotten. Even the 'fly your chariot seamlessly from space to the surface' (which is something I still legit find impressive in any game) was barely mentioned.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BloodyScab posted:

I have a friend who will remain anonymous for his sake that has been with the Evocati since May 2016. I finally convinced him to answer my questions about the 3.0 Evocati build. I'm copying this from an email discussion we had. Here's goes...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/76lqca/30_spoilers_from_my_evocati_friend/

tl;dr: poo poo's all hosed up and busted

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Super detailed Sims are only fun when you can learn something that exists in real life. It's the main reason of DCS. You learn how to operate these flying machines to the poiny where you would even feel comfortablr IRL.

It's also the reason why that space DCS indie game failed. You are just pushing random buttons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BeigeJacket posted:

Even the 'fly your chariot seamlessly from space to the surface' (which is something I still legit find impressive in any game) was barely mentioned.

I think they may have stopped mentioning this because they can't do it :ohdear:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Something something horsecock. Your all wrong about the BDSSE because Mr. Smart Dr. Dr. still has his hand in the game. My sources show that he has nearly $14,800 in SC.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

peter gabriel posted:

I think they may have stopped mentioning this because they can't do it :ohdear:

That never stopped them before

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

INDEFINITELY MEAN A DATE IS NOT KNOWN

.......................YET

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ZekeNY posted:

That never stopped them before

BUY AN IDRIS!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BloodyScab posted:

I have a friend who will remain anonymous for his sake that has been with the Evocati since May 2016. I finally convinced him to answer my questions about the 3.0 Evocati build. I'm copying this from an email discussion we had. Here's goes...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/76lqca/30_spoilers_from_my_evocati_friend/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

what the heck are you talking about man

Oh? So you wanna to play dumb now, huh?

Fine.

Here's a picture.

Show me where this:

quote:

looking back, its weird that the whole early access thing has been mentioned a whole lot from the peeps I talk to

Appears in those exchanges shown in the picture here:

I'll wait.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Fine.

Here's a picture.

Show me where this:

I'll wait.

:ughh:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Time for some mods to change Derek’s avatar again.

He’s jealous of TheAgent and acting out since that whole ELE thing seems to be delayed again.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this owns and I know somebody already said this by now but

poo poo sale

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Pharohman777 posted:

As someone who just graduated with an accounting degree, the sheer ignorance the r/starcitizen denizens have for why CIG's TOS is unenforceable is astounding.

Everything CIG does to raise money is connected to a product guaranteed by them down the line, so everything CIG earns this way is unearned revenue.
All the jpegs, all the kickstarter money, all the insurance packages are unearned revenue that is a liability on the books.
Until CIG makes the products that fulfill the liabilities of unearned revenue, the consumer protection laws of the US say that the customers can get refunds anytime before the product is released, since CIG never earned the money by releasing the product.

Same with the jpegs. As long as those ships are not in the final release, the customer can get a refund at any time.
This is stuff you learn about in business law and accounting classes, and it frustrates me that there is so much willful ignorance about why refunds are allowed.

Just google unearned revenue liability and you can clearly see situation of CIG.

Stop spreading FUD. Clearly you know nothing about accounting :colbert:

----------------

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Fine.

Here's a picture.

Show me where this:

I'll wait.

It's mentioned in both :ughh:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

This is all getting out of hand. I'm going to have to get my Star Citizen news from recognised gaming sites in the future such as pixelemonade.com

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Fine.

Here's a picture.

Show me where this:

I'll wait.
are we doing some kind of bit or an improv thing

I need some time to get into character, I'm not good coming into things cold

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

NETWORK UPGRADES BLIND CULLING PUSHED BACK

2018 FAILS TO BE THE YEAR

WHACKY DEVELOPMENT ADVENTURE

WAIT AND HOPE

FEEL MUCH BETTER

ON A MOON

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BloodyScab posted:

:laffo:

ps: Yeah, that's totally seamless space<->planet transition and not instanced levels with trigger points. :argh:

----------------

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

:laffo:

ps: Yeah, that's totally seamless space<->planet transition and not instanced levels with trigger points. :argh:

NON INSTANCED TRIGGER POINT

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SomethingJones posted:

NON INSTANCED TRIGGER POINT

Don't worry. Knowing CIG, that's probably how it'll end up working: the zones are instanced, but the trigger points are shared — any time anyone triggers one, the effect is shared among everyone.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:laffo: today I spent 7 hours playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 which is basically the same amount of time I've spent 'playing' Star Citizen since the Hangar Module came out in like 2014.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

:laffo: today I spent 7 hours playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 which is basically the same amount of time I've spent 'playing' Star Citizen since the Hangar Module came out in like 2014.

Yeah but you didn't play Divinity getting drunker and hating life more with each agonizing minute, an experience you can only get with Star Citizen :smug:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Things are really picking up now that CIG has all the code figured out - they can just punch out systems easily. For example, in 3.0, when you approach for a landing, the player becomes the planet.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah but you didn't play Divinity getting drunker and hating life more with each agonizing minute, an experience you can only get with Star Citizen :smug:

Actually Aliens: Colonial Marines released years ago. :colbert:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

It's mentioned in both :ughh:

Thanks for pointing out that 1) I wasn't clear 2) I screwed that up and should have been more thorough.

Mobile sux. :negative:

TheAgent said:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=2465&perpage=40#post477408193

quote:

looking back, its weird that the whole early access thing has been mentioned a whole lot from the peeps I talk to

It was only mentioned in ONE excerpt.

The point I was making is that TheAgent exchange with his buddy, had nothing to do with croberts or the opinion he voiced in the article about the game being in early access. He never said SC was going into early access. Quite on the contrary.

09/14/17, Derek Smart article:

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5785/

quote:

In game development, Early Access is only a descriptor used to indicate that a game is available to those who want to pay to get in early. Steam spearheaded this movement and they have specific rules for it. It boils down to one simple thing. Backing an early access game means that you are prepared to lose the money as there is a chance that the product will never be completed.

09/09/2017, Derek Smart article:

http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/5764/

quote:

So basically, he’s gone from a $160m (as of now) crowd-funded project with a Nov 2014 delivery date, to pre-Alpha, and now right into an early access release instead, thus removing any future release dates.

08/29/17 (not 09/11 btw), Chris Roberts interview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-29-star-citizen-would-be-the-worst-scam-in-the-world

quote:

The term beta in terms of Star Citizen - with 3.0 the game is moving into a phase akin to Early Access. It'll build and grow from there, and then you could say 'well, it's not really Early Access anymore'. The price will probably go up a little bit and it will have much more of the features and content going on.

08/13/17, TheAgent sources:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=1758&perpage=40#post475330182

quote:

Going back to my first point, I think we need to man up. Let's be honest. To the backers first and then to the [staff]. In my opinion we should have released 3.0 as an alpha product, instead of treating it as an early access release.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Stick iracing on here too, sitting in a lovely stock car in VR while voice chat call each other names in deep southern American accents is one of the most surreal experiences on this big gay earth

I used to run on an iRacing team with this kid:

He was loving incredible, always a couple tenths faster than everyone else, always found a way to win. The fact that it translates so well to real-world driving is (imo) one of the best achievements in video games of all time.

Beet Wagon posted:

:same:

6 of those 7 hours in SC were spent doing donuts around Arc Corps in a buggy running over shitizens who were cringily saluting each other, which I have to admit, was very fun but not for the reasons Chris Robert intended.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

I too am upset that Agent only provided two examples of early access (EA) being mentioned instead of autistically combing over several months of posts in order to prove a point to a bunch of strangers on a comedy forum.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tippis posted:

Don't worry. Knowing CIG, that's probably how it'll end up working: the zones are instanced, but the trigger points are shared — any time anyone triggers one, the effect is shared among everyone.

When someone opens a door in Squadron 42 a space bike is spawned in the middle of BoredGamer's Star Citizen livestream extravaganza

That's loving fidelity right there, get your loving space bike on in space you philistines, take that PC Gaming DUALSHOCKERS 4 LYFE

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Did we try unplugging Derek, waiting for at least one minute, then plugging Derek back in again?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Did we try unplugging Derek, waiting for at least one minute, then plugging Derek back in again?

Yeah, but it didn't take. He's still all messed up. Had to do a cold reboot. :negative:

----------------

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

You didn't say what we're supposed to plug him back into, he's entirely bespoke

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm at 71 hours. Think I'm going to start over with a new build again on Tactician.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Thanks for pointing out that 1) I wasn't clear 2) I screwed that up and should have been more thorough.

Mobile sux. :negative:

TheAgent said:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=2465&perpage=40#post477408193

The point I was making is that TheAgent exchange with his buddy, had nothing to do with croberts or the opinion he voiced in the article about the game being in early access. He never said SC was going into early access. Quite on the contrary.

Derekblog spam :smuggo:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-29-star-citizen-would-be-the-worst-scam-in-the-world

08/13/17, TheAgent sources:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=1758&perpage=40#post475330182

*cough*

TheAgent posted:

• Turbulent contract renegotiated to now include SC 2017 releases as "MVP" or "EA commercial release" as some monies are tied to that

TheAgent posted:

quote:

In my opinion we should have released 3.0 as an alpha product, instead of treating it as an early access release.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

btw the interview occurred that day, but the article wasn't published until 9/11

and for some reason you've been trying to bait me into slapfights over the most basic stuff, I don't understand why and it's getting a little tiresome

can I just put "derek smart is always right and knows everything about star citizen" in my sig so we can bury the hatchet or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, but it didn't take. He's still all messed up. Had to do a cold reboot. :negative:

Self referential humor, I think we've lost him