Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

sassassin posted:

You could stay a little taller and let your knees drift a little more imo. Might help your back.

Or make it worse.

Have you tried front squats?

no, never done front squats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

no, never done front squats

Don't they're awful.

High bar instructional video with funny accents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5-C1fsMjk

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm trying to make beef stew tonight. Every time my weekend off rolls around, I try to make at least 1 thing, a few meals to freeze and take to work. I figure after a bit of this, making a few different meals won't seem so hard to someone as incompetent as me and I can start straight up making enough food to eat completely healthy for my 11 day work weeks. So far I can make a pork shoulder, chicken and rice and now I'm attempting beef stew, so I'm not far in to my experiment yet.

I also bought some kiwis because that Jeff Nippard video intrigued me, I was going to cut up some to freeze to put into my protein shakes but jesus they are expensive. They were almost a dollar each.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Meal prep is easier when you're unemployed.

naem
May 29, 2011

I bought a pressure cooker and put meat and things other than meat inside and press go and always have delicious mush around

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

sassassin posted:

Meal prep is easier when you're unemployed.

but then i can't afford the food unless i can wrangle a sugar daddy. not you.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

but then i can't afford the food unless i can wrangle a sugar daddy. not you.
Move to MA. EBT is easy as poo poo to get and they give you like $300/mo for food. No joke. You get free healthcare too with $5 copay on medications or something. No copay on doctors visits or most other stuff.

Just look at most of the old mill towns for cheap housing. $800/mo can get you a 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom in some of the heroin capitals of the state.

They take all of this away when you get a job unless you have a family. Then maybe you'll get EBT and if your employer sucks they'll give you some healthcare assistance. You probably can't find a job in the places with housing that cheap which is another problem, too. Where I live now housing is like twice as expensive as the place I grew up. :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Originally my goal was to save up money and buy a house but I've been toying with the idea of save up a lot of money and move out of Alabama. Maybe I can get a job winding motors somewhere in a good state like MA or CO.

edit: I hate hot humid weather as well. I'd like to live somewhere frigid. Or with gloomy skies. Gloomy weather makes me legit happy for some odd reason and I get depressed during the summers here.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Move to Ohio.

Just kidding, no one should ever move here.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Originally my goal was to save up money and buy a house but I've been toying with the idea of save up a lot of money and move out of Alabama. Maybe I can get a job winding motors somewhere in a good state like MA or CO.

edit: I hate hot humid weather as well. I'd like to live somewhere frigid. Or with gloomy skies. Gloomy weather makes me legit happy for some odd reason and I get depressed during the summers here.
MA is humid as hell during lots of the year.

Some would say our only good weather is a few weeks of autumn and a few weeks of spring. Personally, I also like the winter when I don't have to shovel snow to get to work. Mostly because I'm an idiot who doesn't appreciate things without a strong contrast. So freezing my balls off outside then going into a warm house is a real good transition to me.

Constipated posted:

Move to Ohio.

Just kidding, no one should ever move here.
I have a friend who really likes Ohio and he has lived all around the country including in California, MA, NY, and some other trendy places.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2017

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Where in Ohio specifically? There are certainly worse places to live. My county is overdose capital of America, literally everyone I know has family members that have died from opiates. It's gotten pretty loving ridiculous.

I do love the small rural towns though, away from the lovely parts of the cities/burbs.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Alabama

I hate hot humid weather as well

lmao leave alabama asap

your lifts will probably go up by 30% if you do

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
holy crap I just tried the kiwis for the first time and I think they are up there with green apples as my favorite fruit. Sucks they cost so much though.

Do you guys think it would curdle the milk if I blend them into a protein shake? I've done strawberries before and those were fine.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Considering strawberries are mildly acidic while kiwis are highly acidic... maybe.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

holy crap I just tried the kiwis for the first time and I think they are up there with green apples as my favorite fruit. Sucks they cost so much though.

Do you guys think it would curdle the milk if I blend them into a protein shake? I've done strawberries before and those were fine.

They will but I’ve eaten Lemon yogurt so who cares, humans eat everything

I heard a guy ate a plane once

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Khorne posted:

Move to MA. EBT is easy as poo poo to get and they give you like $300/mo for food. No joke. You get free healthcare too with $5 copay on medications or something. No copay on doctors visits or most other stuff.

Just look at most of the old mill towns for cheap housing. $800/mo can get you a 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom in some of the heroin capitals of the state.

They take all of this away when you get a job unless you have a family. Then maybe you'll get EBT and if your employer sucks they'll give you some healthcare assistance. You probably can't find a job in the places with housing that cheap which is another problem, too. Where I live now housing is like twice as expensive as the place I grew up. :(

what exercise can imrpove my boot strapping

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I've been doing stronglifts for like 9 months now and still don't have abs, what gives??

Although my diet consists of whatever the hell i want, so that might be why

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Get abs in the kitchen.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Like, I get grunting when you're really exerting yourself but what's with this dude who has to cry/scream WRAAAA WRAAAAHHHRRRR every fuckin rep? Same guy has to yell "push push push yeah push get it get it" at his training partner who never makes a drat sound. Do fitness apps give you extra points for decibels or something cause this guy just has to be loud as gently caress about everything.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chief McHeath posted:

Like, I get grunting when you're really exerting yourself but what's with this dude who has to cry/scream WRAAAA WRAAAAHHHRRRR every fuckin rep? Same guy has to yell "push push push yeah push get it get it" at his training partner who never makes a drat sound. Do fitness apps give you extra points for decibels or something cause this guy just has to be loud as gently caress about everything.

Sounds like someone stocked up on preworkout powder before they got rid of the DMAA

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's way more important to be seen and heard at the gym. Actually working out is optional.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jabronie posted:

what exercise can imrpove my boot strapping
I was advocating leeching from the state. Who has time to work when you're gettin swole?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I take issue with people who bitch about grunting but only really with people doing super heavy compound work like powerlifting. When im doing top sets on bench or deads i always grunt a bit amd a spotter yelling at you is loving amazingly helpful.

Bros grunting and hissing with dumbell curls can get in the fire

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

If you don't yell at your muscles they won't grow to their full potential, every muscleman knows this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The powerlifting clique living in my gym do a lot of hype talk and back slapping before, during and after lifts but its all a bit forced and awkward and it doesn't look like any of them actually enjoy it

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I train almost exclusively solo because i'm a loner sperglord. The one or two times ive had someone give me a yell helped more than i could have imagined. From now on all my big 1rm's i'm going to recruit someone to scream at me and give me a dozen of the best with a cat-o'-nine-tails

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sludge Tank posted:

a spotter yelling at you is loving amazingly helpful.

It's the only reason i hit my pr in bench.

God i miss my workout partner. lovely person or not, the dude got me to lift bigger

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Give me your number and I will call you when you work out and scream at you. This goes for anyone in this thread, just put it on speaker and tell me how many reps you are going for.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just have headphones on with recordings of my dad screaming obscenities at me, to push me beyond normal human limits

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I need to find a new gym, ugh

everything around me gets insanely crowded after work, or they're extremely lame (planet fitness near me has 3 squat racks, all assisted)

found one place that just opened but it looks expensive

my last gym was perfect: $25/month, no contract, no frills bullshit gym for body builders. 5 Squat racks (only 1 assisted), 3 benches, people pairing up to get their workouts done quickly, no one bothering anyone

now it seems like I'll end up doing some garbage Planet Fitness poo poo with a contract that requires 5 pints of blood to break out of, only to get stressed out by the lug alarm because I like to grunt when I lift

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Whats a lug alarm

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Sludge Tank posted:

I take issue with people who bitch about grunting but only really with people doing super heavy compound work like powerlifting. When im doing top sets on bench or deads i always grunt a bit amd a spotter yelling at you is loving amazingly helpful.

Bros grunting and hissing with dumbell curls can get in the fire

Lol go embarrass yourself at a powerlifting gym then.

In the city rec center you sound like an attention seeker.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
yesterday there was a guy doing stone over bar in jeans. another guy in jeans trying to do good mornings with the ssb and he sounded like he was dying. naturally they started talking to each other about deadlifts

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Sludge Tank posted:

Whats a lug alarm

At Planet Fitness if you make too much noise an alarm goes off to shame you into being quiet. Also no stringer tank tops because you might intimidate someone by being in shape and comfortable with your body.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The 247 gym im a member of, and the only one i can afford thought it was genius to put the olympic platforms on the 1st floor, directly above a taxation office below, and all the treadmills and bikes on the ground floor. So whenever someone so much as sneezes in the actual squat/dead/oly training area the office downstairs complains and the gym gets threatened with eviction. I got a two week ban without warning for doing deadlifts. I argued and said i was using the equipment exactly as its meant to be and I was met with "its in the contract not to drop weights"

On the olympic platforms

Designed to have weights dropped on them

Nowadays they just straight up ban anyone doing deadlifts with no warning at all. I offered to help move all the loving platforms downstairs to the ground floor seeing as that made way more sense. No idea what they were thinking.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Apprentice Dick posted:

At Planet Fitness if you make too much noise an alarm goes off to shame you into being quiet. Also no stringer tank tops because you might intimidate someone by being in shape and comfortable with your body.

That sounds so Orwellian but I 100% agree with the no stringer tops rule I loving hate those things.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No noise rules at Retro but they have "NO CHALK" signs everywhere which is kind of funny. No olympic platforms or whatever though so deadlifting makes a ton of noise, I give no fucks though

I really, really need to work on fixing my squat form. I've tried every trick in the book but I'm still going up with my hips before my chest and straining my lower back. It's frustrating that I can deadlift 205x5 no problem but squatting 115x5 is a monumental challenge.

e: really the biggest issue at my gym is the lack of racks (1 squat rack, 1 power rack, 2 bench racks, 3 smith machines for some bizarre reason), and the fact that the trainers there don't know anything about anything.
I'm too much of a self-conscious weenie to get someone to take a form check video for me, but the last few bits of advice I got from the mega-swole dudebros who are always there were really not good (advice #1 was "always look up at the ceiling during squats" and advice #2 was "do squats in the smith rack to improve your form"), and it'd be really nice to be able to ask someone who actually knows what they're doing to give me some advice. I'd be willing to pay for a couple of training sessions just to have a professional fix my form, but not the people who work at my gym, sadly.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 16, 2017

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
i just lean my phone against my water bottle or stick it inside my other pair of shoes and put the shoe on something :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Winnie the poo poo posted:

i just lean my phone against my water bottle or stick it inside my other pair of shoes and put the shoe on something :shrug:

True, not a bad idea, but I'd really love to have someone actually standing next to me as I squat and being like "ok do this/don't do this/move like this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

That sounds so Orwellian but I 100% agree with the no stringer tops rule I loving hate those things.

I have issue with dudes sweating and having naked skin all over the bench then not bothering to wipe it down so i can get behind no dumb vests please. also my friend won't stop wearing one and he's not swole. SAD.