Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Hey Stantis, you're just as bad as Allie, gently caress off back into the desert without a pen or Internet connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

While that stantis is pretty bad, this one is just, uhh, wow.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

Americans use the caduceus, a symbol of commerce, for some reason. It's remarkably accurate though, they're just there for money, not healing.

It's because an Army guy heavily insisted. It was supposed to be a symbol of neutrality to mark the non-combatant status of the medical personnel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus_as_a_symbol_of_medicine

Does Ninan know that David kills Goliath?

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I...what? Huh?

I looked it up:

quote:

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu announced Thursday night that Israel will be exiting the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) over the organization’s anti-Israeli bias, following a similar announcement by the Trump administration.
UNESCO's board is set to meet next week and had announced that the anti-Israel resolutions it had intended to bring to a vote would be postponed for six months. This is seen by sources as a possible attempt to stave off the actions of the US and Israel.
Netanyahu’s statement came just hours after the US State Department declared that the US would be leaving UNESCO by 2019 due to its anti-Israel bias.

We're against UNESCO now? What? Why?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I...what? Huh?

I looked it up:

UNESCO recognized the palestinians as humans with rights.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

They don't endorse ethnic cleansing.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Well, at least Beeler is consistent with this, even if he is still trash like the rest.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Hollywood’s summer box office flopped.

Revenues are down nearly 16 percent–a precipitous drop from last year. The NFL ratings are also crashing. “Thursday Night Football” is down 13 percent from last year and fewer fans are attending games. The Emmys ratings have also cratered. What’s causing these declines? It could be that leftist politics are being injected into American entertainment.

Hollywood continues to spew out the same politically correct kitsch. Their movies have become too formulaic and repetitive. There are too many comic book movies chalk full of computer graphics showing crass, physics-defying violence. And of course, political correctness is always the number one priority. Then we’re expected to endure condescending lectures about climate change and social justice from the overpaid actors who show up at the Oscars.

The NFL’s decline is due to too much political correctness as well as the feminization of men. We are supposed to fret about overpaid athletes getting concussions, which can later lead to permanent brain damage. This used to be part of the game. It has always been violent. Like boxing, such violence is part of the attraction. Don’t want to be punch drunk? Don’t box or play football. It’s their choice and they know the risks. It’s difficult for a lot of ticket buyers to feel sympathy for players who command multi-million dollar contracts and then worry about getting injured.

More rules and penalties made the game safer while also rendering it boring.

Colin Kaepernick took a knee and began the current national anthem protests. Many players can’t even articulate why they are insulting our country. Maybe something somewhere past present or future is not equal. To them, America is not perfect and must be disrespected until it is.

Why can’t they protest on their own time? Last week, a Seattle anthem sitter also gave the black power fist salute after making a tackle. It’s now on the field. Sure, it’s his free speech, but it’s our free speech to speak out against it and stop supporting the NFL. If they can dole out fines for those giving the finger to the crowd or making lewd dances after a score, they can certainly hand out stiff fines to the sitters.

The latest Emmy award show hit a new low when they devolved into a Trump hate fest. No matter what size screen, the lefty actors seem to think we’re fascinated by their Trump bashing. It has become both tiresome and predictable.

We’ve been seeing Silicon Valley and social media companies try to excoriate conservative voices from the Internet. The big money media and entertainment arms are starting to lose revenue, subscribers and viewers. They’ve long been accustomed to controlling the levers of our culture, but now they’re pushing those levers even more vigorously and blatantly toward collectivism. Americans can boycott and stop participating.

—Ben Garrison

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That sure is a lot of words, Ben.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Garisson posted:

Colin Kaepernick took a knee and began the current national anthem protests. Many players can’t even articulate why they are insulting our country.
Just because you pretend not to know what it's about doesn't mean they don't know you loving hack.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

sheep-dodger posted:

Just because you pretend not to know what it's about doesn't mean they don't know you loving hack.

Pretty sure that's just some high level dog whistling on Ben's part.

"Black people can't speak articulately."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Heroic men have been devalued in our culture, furthermore all feature films are overwrought superhero cheese"

Thus, etc.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

the_steve posted:

Pretty sure that's just some high level dog whistling on Ben's part.

"Black people can't speak articulately."

It's also projection. Garrison certainly can't articulate why "people kneeling during the Pledge" is an insult to America, so he assumes his ideological foes are even stupider than he is.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That's an old Garrison. Still dumb, of course.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jesus christ this boy scout thing is a wonderful way of revealing which cartoonists don't actually read the loving news and just draw the first kneejerk reaction that comes to mind.

This has nothing to do with gender identity. They are just creating all-girl dens and a program equivalent to Boy Scouts for girls in 2019. There's not going to be mixed-gender dens or troops. There will not be "girl boy scouts." It'll be a different thing with a similar advancement route to Eagle.

Holy poo poo take five minutes to do some research, you lazy fucks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
crazy loony liberals want us to believe in female eagles. was this kind of madness the world that the Founding Fathers envisaged

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

My troop was nothing of the sort and there was an awful lot of high school experimentation. The adults wrote it off as boys being boys.

In my troop it was more a case of how much the other members could gently caress each other over in the most painful way possible. It slowed down after several people went to the hospital and became more a game of "what will burn if the fire is hot enough".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
"Many players" says Garrison. Let's zoom in here. It may even be true; some will be kneeling more in solidarity with their better-informed teammates than in active self-driven protest. Plus there's the brain injuries Garrison is quick to underestimate. Fine. I'll give him that.

Note that the word he chose is the indistinct "many." If it were a majority he'd use the more precise "most." "Most" has a power to it that "many" never will.

Even by his own narrative this means most can and many do, but he's not going to talk about them, or what they're saying, because it's inconvenient for his main point, which is "free speech hurts my tender snowflake fee-fees and I don't want to hear anything I don't already agree with anymore."

Sorry about losing your safe space, loser. Welcome to the real world.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pants Donkey posted:

Jesus christ this boy scout thing is a wonderful way of revealing which cartoonists don't actually read the loving news and just draw the first kneejerk reaction that comes to mind.

This has nothing to do with gender identity. They are just creating all-girl dens and a program equivalent to Boy Scouts for girls in 2019. There's not going to be mixed-gender dens or troops. There will not be "girl boy scouts." It'll be a different thing with a similar advancement route to Eagle.

Holy poo poo take five minutes to do some research, you lazy fucks.

So the boyscouts are still gender segregated christian supremacists and it still isnt enough for these people haha

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Boy Scouts of America should be so lucky as to be absorbed by the girl scouts, actually letting boys hang out with girls their age, selling the poo poo people actually want in raking in that cookie money and yes, letting trans individuals coexist among boys and girls. I don't understand the crying about that particular idea that if the boyscouts merged with the girls, they'd have to wear skirts.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

420 Gank Mid posted:

So the boyscouts are still gender segregated christian supremacists and it still isnt enough for these people haha

They're probably also the kind of people who make the "Waddothey teachya in girlscouts, how to cook and clean?"

I think they are just straight up afraid of women and anything that involves women.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

I think they are just straight up afraid of women and anything that involves women.

We are manly men, but god help you if you try to teach my son how to bake, or sew, or anything girly. (Yet deathly afraid being caught with a feminine napkin box for their wife/girlfriend... so manly)

Alt text: you just described the majority of the religious rights platform.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Spiffster posted:

We are manly men, but god help you if you try to teach my son how to bake, or sew, or anything girly. (Yet deathly afraid being caught with a feminine napkin box for their wife/girlfriend... so manly)

Also, sewing and baking are extremely useful skills that everyone should know.

I have saved so much money because I'm able to do basic repairs on my clothes, and I can have cookies from scratch anytime I want.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spiffster posted:

I mean, the way they're so obsessed with sticking with exclusively men and to do the most manly of manly things only, well, that kind of sounds a little homosexual.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

The Boy Scouts of America should be so lucky as to be absorbed by the girl scouts, actually letting boys hang out with girls their age, selling the poo poo people actually want in raking in that cookie money and yes, letting trans individuals coexist among boys and girls. I don't understand the crying about that particular idea that if the boyscouts merged with the girls, they'd have to wear skirts.

It's the conservative mindset that men must have man-space apart from women or else become castrated incompetents. In reality, boys do better with girls around because it improves their social skills, while girls do worse with boys around because they have to contend with sexism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was in the boy scouts in Canada and one of our troop leaders was a woman and there was no creepy religious stuff or sex things. Just setting things on fire in the woods :shrug:

I understand that most countries beyond the USA also have similar mixed-gender youth programs, where it might be a little paramilitary but it's not got the weird vibe that people get from the Boy Scouts of America.

Dunno where the BSA lost their way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crabtree posted:

I mean, the way they're so obsessed with sticking with exclusively men and to do the most manly of manly things only, well, that kind of sounds a little homosexual.

Incidentally, this is exactly why homosexual activity (though not homosexuality as an identity) is relatively common in Muslim-dominated regions, especially among men. When your culture all but completely forbids interacting with the opposite sex outside of making babies with your spouse, all your close and intimate relationships will naturally be with the same sex.

Sagebrush posted:

I was in the boy scouts in Canada and one of our troop leaders was a woman and there was no creepy religious stuff or sex things. Just setting things on fire in the woods :shrug:

I understand that most countries beyond the USA also have similar mixed-gender youth programs, where it might be a little paramilitary but it's not got the weird vibe that people get from the Boy Scouts of America.

Most of the BSA's funding comes from conservative Christian and Mormon churches.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Sagebrush posted:

When they were de facto bought out by the Mormons.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Sagebrush posted:

You got lucky and had people at the lowest level of the organization willing to ignore creepy religious stuff mandated from the top down.

As far as the BSA leadership is concerned it was your troop leader that lost their way not them.

Or maybe canadian boy scouts dont have all that weird religious baggage

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For people not in the USA or familiar with scouting: the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are two wholly separate entities. That is typically why the Girl Scouts have, historically, been more progressive than their counterparts, as the Girl Scouts are not beholden to the Mormon Church like the BSA. The Girl Scouts are actually not happy with this move since it would potentially take girls away from their organization.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, question, does Ben Garrison know, y'know, how the sacred, inviolable National Anthem goes

because those two lines sure don't go together

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pants Donkey posted:

For people not in the USA or familiar with scouting: the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are two wholly separate entities. That is typically why the Girl Scouts have, historically, been more progressive than their counterparts, as the Girl Scouts are not beholden to the Mormon Church like the BSA. The Girl Scouts are actually not happy with this move since it would potentially take girls away from their organization.
It's a lovely situation because being an Eagle (boy) scout has very real benefits for networking and jobs and stuff while afaik the girl scouts don't have anything like that so its natural girls would want to switch over if they could, but it's not like it's the girl scouts' fault. In a better world the boy scouts would be disbanded for being a blatantly religious organization that gets to use public buildings for meetings, and its members would all join the girl scouts.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 16, 2017

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah you can't actually merge the Boy/Girl scouts in America because they're completely different organizations. The girl scouts have the temerity to support women's rights and women's health issues which makes them antithetical to the boy scouts. I remember my grandma, who was hyper-catholic, refusing to buy my cookies because in her eyes the money funded abortions. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Also, sewing and baking are extremely useful skills that everyone should know.

I have saved so much money because I'm able to do basic repairs on my clothes, and I can have cookies from scratch anytime I want.

Back when it still existed, learning to sew was part of the military service in my country because soldiers are expected to repair their own fatigues and uniforms.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

I thought the Republican stance was

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When I was in the boy scouts, all I knew re: Mormons and the BSA was that Mormons had de facto separate troops and they were either really lax or really gung-ho about badge acquisition because every camp I went to, the kids in the Mormon troops always had fucktons more badges than anyone else.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a lovely situation because being an Eagle (boy) scout has very real benefits for networking and jobs and stuff while afaik the girl scouts don't have anything like that so its natural girls would want to switch over if they could, but it's not like it's the girl scouts' fault. In a better world the boy scouts would be disbanded for being a blatantly religious organization that gets to use public buildings for meetings, and its members would all join the girl scouts.

They have the Gold Award, which is functionally equivalent to Eagle but ~*for some strange reason*~ has never had the sort of post-scouting oomph that Eagle does.

Pants Donkey posted:

I have heard it posited that part of why this is happening is to give reactionaries an alternative to those nasty feminist lesbos in the Girl Scouts, but also that the Mormon Church isn't happy about it for violating the gender barrier, so I dunno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Girl Scouts have the Gold Award which has similar requirements and prestige among institutions that recognize achievements within girls/women's organizations. I'll let you figure out how common that is.

• Locked thread