Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just buy Reaper of Souls it costs like 20bux now and is why Diablo 3 is good.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Does the game (and expansion) go on sale every year? I bought stand alone D3 last January during the 20th Anniversary sale. This would be a more convenient choice for me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I believe it went on sale twice this year, once in January for the 20th anniversary of Diablo and once in June around the time of the release of the Necro pack. Diablo didn't get a black friday deal last year.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ah ok, I can probably be patient and wait for another sale or put it on my Christmas wish list. I'll put the game back on the shelf till then.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

You bought vanilla D3 in 2016? Why was that even an option?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dross posted:

You bought vanilla D3 in 2016? Why was that even an option?

Because Blizzard is eternally poo poo at marketing.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I wasn't sure if I would like the game when I purchased it during the 20th anniversary sale. I didn't want to pay for an expansion in case I made a bad purchase (and i'm a cheapskate) but I didn't realise that the better part of the game is in the expansion and the edition I have is not worth playing without it.

I would of thought after so many years being out that Blizzard would drop the base edition and just treat the expansion as the complete version. Don't treat it like it's optional loving DLC!!

Adventure mode, the redesigned loot drop system and seasonal achievements that require these features to collect the unique in game items. All locked behind an expansion I don't have.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I feel kinda bad for you. You are so close to having the finally fixed and unfucked version of D3, but can't enjoy it yet. It really is dumb that they dont just bundle that to one purchase this far out from release.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ronnie posted:

I wasn't sure if I would like the game when I purchased it during the 20th anniversary sale. I didn't want to pay for an expansion in case I made a bad purchase (and i'm a cheapskate) but I didn't realise that the better part of the game is in the expansion and the edition I have is not worth playing without it.

I would of thought after so many years being out that Blizzard would drop the base edition and just treat the expansion as the complete version. Don't treat it like it's optional loving DLC!!

Adventure mode, the redesigned loot drop system and seasonal achievements that require these features to collect the unique in game items. All locked behind an expansion I don't have.

$16.45 for a digital copy from Play Asia is the best I can find. It's not a big savings, but unless you are just that strapped for cash and need to wait for a sale, then I don't know what to tell someone that is unwilling to spend the amount of money equal to a night out drinking for something that will last far longer than that.

https://www.play-asia.com/diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls/13/7080w9

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Blizzcon is on soon, so there's a chance there might be some sales from Blizzard around then too (I don't remember how it normally works though)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ronnie posted:

I found your comments in the discord and apparently you ran the entire campaign in non-RoS before you learned you couldn't do adventure mode. I'm so sorry. Quit the game until you get RoS.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I just came back a week ago to check out the necromancer and I'm trying to smash out GR75 in the next 4 days but i don't have a feel for what is going to get me there best. On PS4 so I can't link a profile but I have most of what seems cookie cutter Rathma but missing a couple key pieces. My Krysbin's is only cubed and I haven't been able to track down a skelly mage ring or tasker and theo. Which should I focus my shards on for best value? I'm assuming the ring otherwise i kinda struggle to keep up the rathma 6pc with singularity mages.

Clearing GR45 in about 6 mins so I assume that'll stretch me up to 55 or so anyway, but I don't really have a feel for how far away I am, is it worth keeping on trying to do it before season end? If it'll be easier, I've also picked up Inarius 6pc but would still have to pick up some of the legendaries to go with it.

hampig fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 16, 2017

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

I just came back a week ago to check out the necromancer and I'm trying to smash out GR75 in the next 4 days but i don't have a feel for what is going to get me there best. On PS4 so I can't link a profile but I have most of what seems cookie cutter Rathma but missing a couple key pieces. My Krysbin's is only cubed and I haven't been able to track down a skelly mage ring or tasker and theo. Which should I focus my shards on for best value? I'm assuming the ring otherwise i kinda struggle to keep up the rathma 6pc with singularity mages.

Clearing GR45 in about 6 mins so I assume that'll stretch me up to 55 or so anyway, but I don't really have a feel for how far away I am, is it worth keeping on trying to do it before season end? If it'll be easier, I've also picked up Inarius 6pc but would still have to pick up some of the legendaries to go with it.

I got GR75 done on this char with relatively little time investment. A lot of room for improvement as you see. I haven't been able to get a Tasker and Theo yet despite gambling basically only gloves since I got my ring. For me the biggest power boosts came from 1) gambling the ring 2) getting my 3 gems to 40 or so and 3) finding my second unity so I have some margin for error.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks that gives me a good idea of what to shoot for :)

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

Thanks that gives me a good idea of what to shoot for :)

One big note is that you probably want to shoot for Zei's instead of Bane of the Powerful like I did (I've been out of the loop for some time) :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Make a LVL 1 Necro and gamble rings until you get the Skelton mage ring, there really isn’t a single stronger upgrade than that it’s it’s thankfully easy to farm.

Once you get that, cube it and try farming a regular krysbins and then Craft/gamble for tasker and theo

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Make a LVL 1 Necro and gamble rings until you get the Skelton mage ring, there really isn’t a single stronger upgrade than that it’s it’s thankfully easy to farm.

Thanks, I wish I'd known this 15000 blood shards ago! Picked in up inside of 2 minutes of making a new necro :)

Got an ancient krysbin with unusable stats sitting in my stash so now it's just a matter of time to get a usable reforge.

And on that note, Krysbin's power level aside, it's just so much more enjoyable to use as a burst damage multiplier than COE.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
What's the fast way to get to level 70 at the beginning of a new season? I've never played a season beginning, so I've got zero idea how people do it.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What's the fast way to get to level 70 at the beginning of a new season? I've never played a season beginning, so I've got zero idea how people do it.

Group with goons and poopsock.

You can usually hit 70 within 3 or 4 hours with a semi-competent group running rifts.

There are other ways to level but that's how I've always done it. I'm sure there is a faster way.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah for the first few days of the season at least there's a pretty good rotating crowd in the LLJK community channel that are happy to group up for the shared XP bonuses etc.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just noodling around in rifts and bounties at whatever is 1 below Torment got my necro to 70 solo in an evening's play if memory serves. I wouldn't worry about it. Grouping up obviously makes it faster.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Group rifts to 70 is great since you get the bonuses, kill faster, and you can loot share. It's also much more fun, IMO.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Like everyone said play in a group because it's fun and good, but also:

Steal your follower's weapon/shield as it's much better than the one you start with.

Save your weekly challenge rift and do that first thing, it'll give you a bunch of gold, blood shards, and crafting mats.

At level 1, gamble blood shards for something with a high multiplier for your class. For example a crusader can gamble for the hammerdin shield/bracers.

In season 12 you'll also be getting DBs in the challenge rift so you can level your blacksmith to level 12. Once you do craft a lvl 70 rare 2h weapon, and then reforge lower level req on it so you can use the weapon at ~50. With that weapon and some high multiplier items (500% damage to a skill) you can mow through t4-t6 at lower levels.

The last thing is do the highest level difficulty that you can easily kill stuff. You're better off 1 shotting normal mobs and killing elite/champion packs in 15-30 seconds on master than slowly trudging through torment 1.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I tried this game again after stopping just after RoS came out (and barely playing at max level then as it was) and while it seemed fun it really seems like I should just wait for the next season and the 2.6.1 patch. Trying to start relatively fresh now just feels weird since all the builds assume you are super deep into the season. I've found some good S12 starter stuff from bloodshed while looks really helpful when we get there.

Should I consider screwing around with regular characters in the mean time or is there really no value to that? As someone who has basically no experience with Diablo prior to this it really seems like I'm just going to confuse myself with how much is getting buffed/changed in 2.6.1 in regards to builds.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 18, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you like playing Diablo and don't care that it'll be single player, do whatever you want, you paid for the game already.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mazz posted:

I tried this game again after stopping just after RoS came out (and barely playing at max level then as it was) and while it seemed fun it really seems like I should just wait for the next season and the 2.6.1 patch. Trying to start relatively fresh now just feels weird since all the builds assume you are super deep into the season. I've found some good S12 starter stuff from bloodshed while looks really helpful when we get there.

Should I consider screwing around with regular characters in the mean time or is there really no value to that? As someone who has basically no experience with Diablo prior to this it really seems like I'm just going to confuse myself with how much is getting buffed/changed in 2.6.1 in regards to builds.

If you have necro then not much is changing with that class. Also the changes to other classes are minimal aside from straight buffs to older builds that used to dominate

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's more I hit 70 and it feels extremely aimless to me, I don't really have a frame of reference for anything since I've never played end-game Diablo before. The starter builds for S12 at least give me a feel for what will work there and how to get over the hump of "what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing right now." Playing more would probably do that too but idk it feels just like coming in at the end of a wow expansion where you're almost better off just waiting for the reset to get really deep into anything. I don't mind waiting 3 weeks for that kind of thing.

I didn't get necro yet though, probably will at some point.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 18, 2017

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Mazz posted:

I was in the same boat as you, albeit i started playing again mid-way through s11.

Unless you're super keen to understand the ins and outs of what's changed since you last played (Greater Rifts, Legendary gems, Kanai's cube, primal/ancient items etc.) then I'd hold off until s12 starts - the season journey goals that you get give you something to aim for as you're progressing and learning.

That said, if you ~just wanna play some fuckin diablo~, then start up right now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mazz posted:

It's more I hit 70 and it feels extremely aimless to me, I don't really have a frame of reference for anything since I've never played end-game Diablo before. The starter builds for S12 at least give me a feel for what will work there and how to get over the hump of "what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing right now." Playing more would probably do that too but idk it feels just like coming in at the end of a wow expansion where you're almost better off just waiting for the reset to get really deep into anything. I don't mind waiting 3 weeks for that kind of thing.

I didn't get necro yet though, probably will at some point.

You could try finishing chapters 1-4 of the current journey (shift-J) to get your free set and the emerald dragon. That will prepare you well for knowing how things work when the new season starts

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

mewse posted:

You could try finishing chapters 1-4 of the current journey (shift-J) to get your free set and the emerald dragon. That will prepare you well for knowing how things work when the new season starts

Yeah I think an addendum problem is a goon friend powerlevelled me the last little bit to 70 and the first couple chapters so now I'm in the middle of chapter 4 and it didn't feel like I can do any of whats left in that chapter with where I'm at now.

I kind of settled in working on basic poo poo, like building off the UE set the chapters are giving me and going from there. I think it'll click soon enough, so I'm going to play next few days of this season and see where I get.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 18, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

The hardest objective in ch4 is doing the GR whatever solo. If your friend runs you thru some rifts to complete your UE set you should be able to breeze through it. If a duplicate UE piece drops you can use a cube recipe (10 DBs, 10 forgotten souls?) to convert to a random different piece

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah once I got a better grip on the set bonuses and using the proper abilities (multi-shot mainly), I pretty much breezed through the stuff I was struggling with. Also the 6pc is a completely ridiculous power jump.

I was definitely just overthinking it, not sure where I was supposed to be and the guides making me think I was way below the gear level I needed to do poo poo.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 18, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

If anyone is going to blizzcon they are setting up a d3 demo right outside the bathrooms

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

That D3 toilet paper is going to come in handy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What is this impale chain nonsense in the shadow mantle dungeon?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What is this impale chain nonsense in the shadow mantle dungeon?

Nothing about (mastering) this was enjoyable.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Mazz posted:

Yeah once I got a better grip on the set bonuses and using the proper abilities (multi-shot mainly), I pretty much breezed through the stuff I was struggling with. Also the 6pc is a completely ridiculous power jump.

I was definitely just overthinking it, not sure where I was supposed to be and the guides making me think I was way below the gear level I needed to do poo poo.

Guides are often bad at clarifying the most efficient builds to try to get first and what you can do without every piece - the game has been getting more unbalanced in recent seasons so this has become more important. A good rule of thumb is to look at Icyvein's list of builds at the start of a season (or anytime in a season) and see what the top ranked builds are. Then try to build toward a speedfarming version of that. You want to be able to farm TX ASAP, the good players can do it within a few hours of the season start. The past few seasons it's been advisable to get some build based on your class's strongest sets going ASAP, even missing some items they'll often be as good as your class's weakest sets. Generally your starting goals should be get powerleveled -> do basic season journey stuff -> get the free 6pc -> TX rifts for a while until you get the strong set (unless it's the free set) -> T13 rifts to gear further, finish the season journey, go on to end game if desired.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Rinkles posted:

Nothing about (mastering) this was enjoyable.

This holds true for every single set dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyway to cheese/power through any of the conquests? 2 minute rift seems almost impossible even when I'm killing most things with one hit (and I'm using those bracers that spawn elites at pylons).

I've completed GR 75.