Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Roumba posted:

Is Luv looking at K or at Joi when she says "We hope you enjoyed our product." in Vegas?

She's looking at Joi, and the product could be K and/or the eminator itself, which she valued so much because it let her leave her antenna. It's particularly cruel since the eminator is also the device that caused her to have a mortality, and is what could be argued is what makes her 'human', making the determination to sacrifice her immortality for K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was leaving the theater.

The should have just not included the robot rebellion tease. It made the story feel too large and incomplete by pushing it into "you need to save the world" territory.

The original has a tight story and complete arc for Deckard.

I am also in this boat. It's a very pretty film, but it felt too long to me. I'll have to watch it again to get a better grasp on how I feel about it.

One of my bits was the visual quote of Soldier, with the garbage dumping ships.

I also really liked the drone strike as a reference to the photographic analysis scene in the first film, but then there was another, more direct and completely unnecessary callback later.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like that the replicant rebel army scene was so short and out of nowhere, to the point where as an audience member you don't care, because K seemed to respond the same way. Their cause isn't as important to him as his own.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

I kept thinking through that part "Thor's version of this is not going to look anywhere near as cool".

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Snak posted:

That definitely put a smile on my face. It's canon goddamnit!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Another part that made me smile is more coincidence or thematic convergence... When JOI talks about being "Born, not made", it reminded me of Total Recall 2070, where "Begotten Not Made" was an episode title and an important theme.

Despite being called "Total Recall", Total Recall 2070 was very much "Blade Runner: The Series".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I really liked this. Just saw it in IMAX, and we're already considering going back to see it in IMAX again. loving shame it's getting crushed at the box office. But then again, a movie that's rated R, is 2:45 long, and hard scifi is a tough ask of a lot of the public.

Usually just showing cars going places is lovely fluff in a bad movie. But goddamn, are the transit scenes gorgeous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mlmp08 posted:

loving shame it's getting crushed at the box office.

Domestic: $60,578,387 38.2%
+ Foreign: $98,000,000 61.8%
= Worldwide: $158,578,387

:lol: this is getting crushed

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it is? $150 million production budget plus a sizable marketing budget, and the studio only gets a percentage of international. Before release the rumored number floating around about the film's necessary worldwide box office if it were to be profitable was $450 million. So, compared to what the studio was hoping for yes, this is getting crushed at the box office. Happy Death Day made almost as much this weekend as 2049 did last weekend.

But the film exists and we all got to watch it so it doesn't really matter :shrug:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
On my second viewing, I appreciated very different parts of the movie than I thought I would. Luv has a very concrete connection to the original: she carries forward the childlike characteristics of the replicants.

In the original, the replicants are very immature: Roy and Pris have no idea how to act as a couple in public (reference their super awkward PDA in J.F's house), Deckard asks/demands of Rachel, "Say you love me", Roy teases and plays with Deckard in the finale. They are children developing their emotions who don't have enough life experience to have an adult response to the V-K test.

In 2049, Luv takes all her cues from Wallace, the father. She takes her name and identity as "the best", but also other behavior: she slashes Joshi across the abdomen just like Wallace did. Her taunt comes across as if she's one child talking to another using an appeal to adult authority ("I'm gonna tell Mr. Wallace you tried to shoot me first, so I HAD to kill you.") and of course, her much discussed cruelty in smashing JOI. She and K contrast well against Sapper and Freysa, whose behavior is completely indistinguishable from a normal human's. They're mature, they've lived long and socialized and pass on the values that K connects to.

Another note: JOI isn't just jealous of Mariette, Mariette is jealous of JOI. Mariette is actively looking at him while he kisses JOI/her, and is genuinely affectionate toward K after they pick him up from Vegas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bottom Liner posted:

Domestic: $60,578,387 38.2%
+ Foreign: $98,000,000 61.8%
= Worldwide: $158,578,387

:lol: this is getting crushed

Yes? Good that no one's going bankrupt over it, but that doesn't even cover marketing yet. Crushed may be too hard a word, but it's decidedly off target for the price and marketing that went into it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pretty sure Alcon is giving most of the international to Sony and some of the domestic to WB, despite putting up half or more of the budget, so they are pretty much hosed

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Was this movie in development for 15 years or whatever? I can't imagine who would have thought this would make enough to justify spending 150 million.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Crown posted:

Another note: JOI isn't just jealous of Mariette, Mariette is jealous of JOI. Mariette is actively looking at him while he kisses JOI/her, and is genuinely affectionate toward K after they pick him up from Vegas.

Yeah, it's not a far stretch for, just as humans/replicants question each other, for replicants to question just how dismissive they should be of AI developed by the same company that made replicants.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The story is a little too meandering and convoluted for this to be as good as the original, but I loved it anyway. It's still a cut above most blockbusters on a storytelling level, and by god the visuals make up for a lot.

Going to see it for a second time tonight. This time in Imax

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, the flyover was part practical effects...

I suspected as much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, the flyover was part practical effects...

:eyepop:

It's so nice to see a movie use miniatures again

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it is? $150 million production budget plus a sizable marketing budget, and the studio only gets a percentage of international. Before release the rumored number floating around about the film's necessary worldwide box office if it were to be profitable was $450 million. So, compared to what the studio was hoping for yes, this is getting crushed at the box office. Happy Death Day made almost as much this weekend as 2049 did last weekend.

But the film exists and we all got to watch it so it doesn't really matter :shrug:

The most important part is that it will likely kill all momentum for potential sequels, and prevent Villeneuve from getting stuck in sci fi. I sincerely hope the Dune remake doesn't pan out.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Origami Dali posted:

The question isn't whether Joi broke the manacles of her programming to become "human". Rather, if humans are themselves manacled by their own programming, then there's no real difference. Of course as a consequence, this might mean my iphone deserves rights.

quote:

...The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth—it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

— The quote is credited to Ecclesiastes, but the words do not occur there. It can be seen as an addition, a paraphrase and an endorsement of Ecclesiastes' condemnation of the pursuit of wisdom as folly and a 'chasing after wind'—see for example Ecclesiastes 1.17.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulacra_and_Simulation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did read a couple months back that Dune's greenlight was resting on the shoulders on 2049's success. So I wouldn't count on Dune actually happening anytime soon.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

I did read a couple months back that Dune's greenlight was resting on the shoulders on 2049's success. So I wouldn't count on Dune actually happening anytime soon.

I really hope that's not true because this could end up being the best version of Dune ever presented. Lynch's film was its own thing. The miniseries was well done but obviously limited by budget and quality of actors. I really want to see Villeneuve's Dune.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
On the one hand that sucks, on the other hand like, Dune is so different from Blade Runner in every way you'd think Blade Runner not doing great wouldn't be such a "NO MORE $$$ SCI-FI MOVIES EVER FOLKS!" signal. I mean depending on how Dune is developed and looks you'd get like every single person who went to Lord of the Rings and Avatar to go and get obsessed with it too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 16, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

On the one hand that sucks, on the other hand like, Dune is so different from Blade Runner in every way

It's only different to sci-fi fans like you or I. For most people they're both ponderous and boring sci-fi, for studio execs they're both expensive sci-fi with little guarantee of an audience.

quote:

I mean depending on how Dune is developed and looks you'd get like every single person who went to Lord of the Rings and Avatar to go and get obsessed with it too.

Dune is not quite the easily digestible and crowd-pleasing subject matter that LOTR was though. Yes, I know the LOTR movies amped up the "fun" dial but the underlying story was undeniably more fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also upping the fun factor in the LotR movies resulted in a total betrayal of the tone and spirit of the books. Made for some good blockbusters but a dreadful adaptation. And now because of them we'll likely never get an adaptation that actually feels like the books.

I'm not sure what a successful Dune adaptation looks like. I suspect it's a lot more like Game of Thrones than it is Lord of the Rings or Blade Runner 2049.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Dune will now only be made if it's 1.5 hours and features a supervillian with an end of the world doomsday device, set to the tune of a punched up 80s dance soundtrack.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Origami Dali posted:

Dune will now only be made if it's 1.5 hours and features a supervillian with an end of the world doomsday device, set to the tune of a punched up 80s dance soundtrack.

I'd still go see it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQ09GmUjUY

I should watch the documentary again, I forgot how many insane things happened in it

Serf
May 5, 2011

I would love to see Villenueve's Dune, but it would most likely be a financial disaster for anyone who made it. But hey, it would be cool to get what I assume would be a cool movie out of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It's only different to sci-fi fans like you or I. For most people they're both ponderous and boring sci-fi, for studio execs they're both expensive sci-fi with little guarantee of an audience.

I don't think "most people" would recall it at all beyond "that movie with Sting" so they'd have a fresh slate to work with.

Steve Yun posted:

Dune is not quite the easily digestible and crowd-pleasing subject matter that LOTR was though. Yes, I know the LOTR movies amped up the "fun" dial but the underlying story was undeniably more fun.

Dune is my favorite novel ever but its indigestibleness has always been wildly exaggerated (mostly by fans). The best way to present it would be a TV series, you could easily get three seasons out of the first book alone if you wanted to really stretch it. But I made a few effort posts bout this a while ago and to me the underlying structure of the book is easily cinematic to the point that you could gets its themes across without it being ponderous or having hours of characters thinking aloud or necessarily excising or dumbing down what's there. Even the way the action is paced, you have massive huge battles that are brief but the position of the major players shifts in each one alternating with more intimate, meticulously described knife fights and duels between a few major characters.

Even Lynch's movie demonstrates this, you have a lot of moments where José Ferrer or someone conveys something through their acting, but then the movie has to stop so that he can think it out loud. It's deemed ponderous because Lynch's movie is ponderous. The novel was originally published in multiple parts in a pulp magazine.

Origami Dali posted:

This would own in its own way. :)

Jodorowsky has said that while he's personally done with it, he'd be thrilled to let someone wanted to take his Dune bible and make his version of Dune even today. Now that would be quite a feat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If Dune were adapted straight in an ideal way it'd be a huge disaster. There's no way a large enough modern audience would want to pick up what it's putting down. If it were made 10 years ago it'd be pitched as Lord of the Rings but in Space, today it'd be Game of Thrones but in Space. Neither are right but I think you've gotta find some sort of hook for this sort of material.

The ideal adaptation would've had to be Jodorowsky's, because I feel that's the only time a wide enough audience would've been open to the material in that form.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Those are Wallace's men so I assumed they are replicants.

I'm pretty sure those are LAPD officers piloting the spinner limo at the end. They at least look similarly attired, with black longsleeves and white collars.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

I would love to see Villenueve's Dune, but it would most likely be a financial disaster for anyone who made it. But hey, it would be cool to get what I assume would be a cool movie out of it.

who cares about finance? i bet a lot of people made money off blade runner 2049 being a bomb by shorting it on the stock market or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think we'll have to wait until some kid today grows up and becomes a Hollywood executive who dreams of making a Blade Runner: Uprising film. And then another 30 years until there's a Blade Runner: Off World film. Both will lose their jobs based on the greenlighting of their individual films, but if you're going to sacrifice your career to get a movie made, plenty have done it for far worse. Most of us will be dead or dying by the time the last one premieres, but at least the survivors will all still be debating about it on an internet forum with our calloused, arthritic fingers instead of being busy loving some sexy holograms like our great grandchildren.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unrelated, but I remembered this video game track while watching the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v2JMqI8grM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There were two Blade Runner video games. Most folks in this thread probably know about the 1998 adventure game one, but there was an action game for systems like the Commodore 64 too. There was a copyright kerfluffle where they got the rights to Vangelis' music but not technically to the movie, so to be safe the official title of the game on the packaging/etc. is Blade Runner - A VIDEO GAME INTERPRETATION OF THE FILM SCORE BY VANGELIS :laffo:

Anyway it's worth it for this, and the game was simple but had a really cool look about it, it's not amazing but they tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baLrzeEvTFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-tvF-t2rCY

The 1998 game actually has a really good set of short loops and tracks even beyond the stuff taken from the film. Like the music or not, they did a REALLY good job making music that would have totally been made in 1982 by Radiorama, Vangelis, etc. Which made up for how it was very very very obvious which parts of the game were visually taken from the movie and which ones were designed in the late 90s. Like this was before new retro wave a thing in game soundtracks so it was really impressive how well it blended in for the most part. The game itself was cool too. You walked around and talked to people (and occasionally executed people if you wanted to) but six of the characters, each time you started a new game the game would randomly shuffle around which ones (including the player!) were human or not, you could run the VK test and had to figure it out by asking the right questions and stuff. Also cool for the time because if you just wanted to treat it like an interactive movie you could pick an "attitude" for the main characters and just watch conversations play out instead of making any choices. But I liked how you could really keep it close to the chest regarding killing characters in it. Like you could choose a path where you work with a given character for a while and then just blow them away at the last second which would ally you with a different character. I liked that because it wasn't a menu choice it was like the Way of the Samurai games where you just equip and fire your gun whenever while someone's talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4T8-IJOTas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylRMb3C1dA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqXB67dLCbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pToB91Fk3zk

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 16, 2017

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The Resistance has to be in the film because its a film about how no matter what, people who are oppressed and degraded and enslaved will rebel. But it's also meaningful that they're barely in it, that their encounter with K is almost incidental to both of their stories, despite K believing he himself is something special. It's probably an accident at all that their paths crossed, unless they meaningfully implanted Deckard's daughter's memories in him in some sort of convoluted scheme, but I don't think they did.

Wallace wants to create self-reproducing replicants to create an ever greater, self-sustaining slave labor force. And, like our society - a privatized one, the Wallace corporation doesn't have to foot the bill for social reproduction (Wallace mentions how expensive it is to create them at one point, doesn't he?), the replicant working class will have to do it themselves, presumably by recreating the nuclear family. On the other side, the presence of replicants that can reproduce is the last ideological barrier between true human and replicant equality. It's not really a real difference, but one that humans and replicants both cling to, like how K muses on whether being born means you have a soul. The police chief thinks it would mean war and genocide, but really what it means the toppling of any justification for systemic exploitation - not that in this society that necessarily means anything will change - see how human orphans are exploited.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

The Resistance has to be in the film because its a film about how no matter what, people who are oppressed and degraded and enslaved will rebel. But it's also meaningful that they're barely in it, that their encounter with K is almost incidental to both of their stories, despite K believing he himself is something special. It's probably an accident at all that their paths crossed, unless they meaningfully implanted Deckard's daughter's memories in him in some sort of convoluted scheme, but I don't think they did.

Wallace wants to create self-reproducing replicants to create an ever greater, self-sustaining slave labor force. And, like our society - a privatized one, the Wallace corporation doesn't have to foot the bill for social reproduction (Wallace mentions how expensive it is to create them at one point, doesn't he?), the replicant working class will have to do it themselves, presumably by recreating the nuclear family. On the other side, the presence of replicants that can reproduce is the last ideological barrier between true human and replicant equality. It's not really a real difference, but one that humans and replicants both cling to, like how K muses on whether being born means you have a soul. The police chief thinks it would mean war and genocide, but really what it means the toppling of any justification for systemic exploitation - not that in this society that necessarily means anything will change - see how human orphans are exploited.

The other thing about the why the pregnancy is so important to the resistance depends on if Deckard is a human or not. While a replicant Deckard means that replicants can breed with each other and it's just presumably a lost art, a replicant-human hybrid means that replicants can breed with humans until their DNA is indistiguishable, intermingling to the point the whole last ideological barrier is rendered moot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Blade Runner game was so what I wanted LA Noir to be.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It works both ways actually. If Deckard is human it means humans and replicants are indistinguishable. If Deckard is a replicant, at the very least it means replicants will have control over their own procreation (something that will also be true if Deckard is human, but isn't as clear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

There were two Blade Runner video games. Most folks in this thread probably know about the 1998 adventure game one, but there was an action game for systems like the Commodore 64 too. There was a copyright kerfluffle where they got the rights to Vangelis' music but not technically to the movie, so to be safe the official title of the game on the packaging/etc. is Blade Runner - A VIDEO GAME INTERPRETATION OF THE FILM SCORE BY VANGELIS :laffo:

Somehow the existence of this game had remained unknown to me up until a few weeks ago. When I saw a clip of it pop up in my YouTube feed I assumed it was a joke, a gag about how terrible the Ghostbusters NES game was despite being high concept. The idea of it needing to be based off the soundtrack, combined with the offbeat gameplay mechanics and being forced to call them replidroids, just seemed too absurd. I couldn't fully disbelieve it because it was too well done, but it seemed far, far more likely that it just was a funny fan de-make.

Once again reality got the better of me after I looked it up.

• Locked thread